Code of Conduct

Default uh oh, reccomendations needed!

Hey guys, I'm having trouble finding an every-day cologne that's fit for my age, but isn't mainstream (Fierce, I'm looking at you). I'm 18 years old, so the fragrances I have, and the ones I've been reviewing (Baldessarini is getting posted in a couple of minutes) don't quite fit me... the one that does the most justice is Nightflight, but it's so damn hard to wear, and it's not something I want to have be my daily wearer.

Right now, Hugh Parsons Blue is the closest thing to a "perfect" daily wearer for me, but it's still lacking some youthful immaturity. It doesn't have that boyish imperfection, and that's really what I need right now. I'm getting tired of wearing high-class colognes Like I said, if it helps to get some recommendations, Nightflight is damn good, but a little on the too-wowsy side. For the first (and only) time in my life, I'm going to go ahead and say that mainstream brands are okay... just so I can get an idea of what I want and find something niche that's similar to it though

Thanks in advance, guys. I appreciate it!

EDIT: Something tropical and light, without super citrus notes, or super woodsy notes... I guess you could say I want a Jamba Juice fragrance? I've already done some research, and compiled a list of ~ 80 colognes... but I want to hear what you guys recommend!
    Last edited by Leifer; 28th December 2007 at 02:47 AM.

Default Re: uh oh, reccomendations needed!

You might want to look into Individuel by Mont Blanc. It's got a Joop vibe but smoother and more wearable IMO. Good all around younger kind of scent.

dont listen to anyone....i got the perfect cologne for you...

i mean PERFECT....literally describes what you need......

i swear on my life not only you will love this fragrance, but it is as unique as it is playful, youthful and sexy.....and its only available at Barney's from one of the most renowned Perfume Houses in the world.

it is Frederic Malle OUTRAGEOUS! and it is brand new and so unknown that it hasnt even been listed on this site yet.

try it.....you will thank me later....best money you'll ever spend....its about 110 dollars for a 3.4 oz bottle.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Recommendations noted. Outrageous looks good, I definitely dig that green apple...

Hmm, anybody know of anything that is somewhat tangy that has orange/pomegranate in it?

umm, i have no idea the only thing that comes to mind is Happy but its for ladies...
    romance/curve has been a daily wear for me since i was 14 but their not exactly "tropical"
    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/18334
    im 16 so that could help lmao

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    dont listen to anyone....i got the perfect cologne for you...
    So, then, why should he listen to you?
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Paco Rabanne Black XS. It's got the youth playfulness down pat.

Glad you are still listening to others lol

Three come to mind:
    Polo Double Black
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey
    Bulgari Aqua

They are easy to wear, beautiful in their simplicity and familiarity, while each having something special that makes them unique. DB has a mango accord juxtaposed against coffee and patchouli, almost gourmandly good... Issey Miyake, well, I'm sure you know it... it's worth reexamining, and Bulgari, a sophisticated and lovely marine scent with class but awesome for jeans and a tee shirt as well.
    Last edited by nthny; 28th December 2007 at 03:14 AM.

You could try the original "Tommy" by Tommy Hilfiger, pretty classic scent for the freshmen set. L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme also works along those lines.

The thing is that whats commonly associated with the freshmen "18-22" crowd are light ozonic fragrances. Those all pretty much smell the same since they are based on the same core ingredients.

What you might want to try that would acessable and of reasonable cost, is the "Co Bigelow Elixir" line from bath and body works.

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    let him try it.......because when i smelled OUTRAGEOUS! it made me wish i was 5-6 years younger.

and because his description couldnt better fit what that scent is all about.....age/style/uniqueness/sex appeal wise...

but you right...let him try it out for himself.....i'd buy it off him if he doesnt like it.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

Haha, if I drop $110 on my budget... it better be the best cologne I'll ever have!

The ones I have are too heavy and clotting, some of the soft/unisex is what I want to try now... I'm desperate for Rose 31, Un Jardin Sur Le Nils, The Scent of Peace.... but they're so hard to get around here!

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    Haha, if I drop $110 on my budget... it better be the best cologne I'll ever have!

The ones I have are too heavy and clotting, some of the soft/unisex is what I want to try now... I'm desperate for Rose 31, Un Jardin Sur Le Nils, The Scent of Peace.... but they're so hard to get around here!
    i have Rose 31.....and trust me it doesnt hold a candle to OUTRAGEOUS....although Rose 31 is good its a bit too "grown up and sophisticated" as compared to what you are looking for...

From your age to the description of what you are looking for - Unique/Sexy/Young/non heavy or older/ with a punch/ and a great attraction quality = OUTRAGEOUS!
    --------------------------------------
    put it like this....imagine having scent thats 1000 times the quality/attraction and the smell of Fierce knowing that you will be the only one to ever wear it.

i dont know your reason for getting it....but if you are looking for it, your opposite sex attention will double/triple easily.....i'm sure same sex attention will have a big spike as well(if you are into that).
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 28th December 2007 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm definitely interested in it now, I'll go to Barney's sometime and let you know what I think of it... I'll get a free sample and try it on right then and there

let me know....even if your reaction is good, bad or ugly.....and let any random female smell you and tell you her opinion

let him try it.......because when i smelled OUTRAGEOUS! it made me wish i was 5-6 years younger.

and because his description couldnt better fit what that scent is all about.....age/style/uniqueness/sex appeal wise...

but you right...let him try it out for himself.....i'd buy it off him if he doesnt like it.
    Oui, je dis, Vive Le Difference! Yes, let him try and see, but when you write "dont listen to anyone....i got the perfect xyz (insert your favorite phrase)" it doesn't promote an "open-mind".

And now, as I enjoy the drydown of Black Orchid, I can easily say, don't listen to anyone else, this is it... this is the ONE... but I guess you would find equal number saying that it isn't - but for me, tonight, it IS!! And that's the thick of it... it is for me!
    Last edited by Schachman; 28th December 2007 at 05:00 AM.
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    Hey guys, I'm having trouble finding an every-day cologne that's fit for my age, but isn't mainstream (Fierce, I'm looking at you). I'm 18 years old. I'm getting tired of wearing high-class colognes. For the first (and only) time in my life, I'm going to go ahead and say that mainstream brands are okay... Something tropical and light, without super citrus notes, or super woodsy notes... I guess you could say I want a Jamba Juice fragrance?
    Ahhh.. you said first "isn't mainstream" but then go on to say "mainstream is okay"... I don't want to be picky but I'm not sure how to advise you. I'll go with the latter, give some mainstream brands that are perhaps not as ubiquitous as Acqua di Gio and Le Male - how does that sound?

Tropical and light? A friend used to wea Obsession Night and it smelled incredible, despite my bis against CK frags. The new CK Man is also quite good in a generically nice way.

I like the suggestion of Polo Double Black, also quite tropical.

If you want to go out of the mainstream, Creed Virgin Island Water is VERY tropical, Erolfa would fit the bill too.

I adore Terre d'Hermes, but it leans toward citrus and wood, which you weren't sure about. Give it a go anyway. Bvlgari PH, similarly, is perfect for a yong healthy guy wanting something fresh but not too mainstream, I wore it at age 19 and still wear it at 31. Light, distinctive, clean, but not cheap ozonic smelling. Bvlgari Aqua is good quality too.

Light and breezy and very distinctive - Vetiver Extraordinaire, again way out of the mainstream and quite pricey, but an incredible blend of an interesting ozonic note with a very earthy vetiver.

Of the mainstream Armanis (EPH aside) I've always found Mania to be the best. In a similar vein to Bvlgari PH it is a light fresh musk.

And finally one that gets no airplay at all but I really liked for a fresh fruity easy going frag - Van Cleef Arpels Zanzibar, probably discontinued and available cheaply.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I'm sorry in my first post (Double Black, L'eau d'Issey, and Bulgari Aqua) I was really trying to recommend something a little more standard, but since you mention citrus, and Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, I'm going to go ahead and HIGHLY recommend that. It has amazing sillage, is VERY fresh, dries down soft and clean, VERY CLEAN, and I might as well throw in Terre d'Hermes... In stores you will pay a fortune for Un Jardin Sur Le Nil (which I did) but I've since seen it online for 1/3 the price. I also highly recommend Terre d'Hermes. One of my 22 year old friends occasionally uses samples I gave him and it smells fantastic on him: it is an ageless fragrance in my opinion.

I JUST THOUGHT OF ONE MORE, since suddenly we are adding expensive, harder to find fragrances... Bond No. 9's Fire Island, expensive suntan lotion (not coconutty) and warm skin... a good one and always gets compliments if that's your thing...
    Last edited by nthny; 28th December 2007 at 06:06 AM.

Damn, thanks Ged! I wrote down all of the ones (minus the ones I had already tried) and I'm looking forward to testing them

As for my initial statement, I personally want a non-mainstream.... but I'm open to mainstream suggestions, so I can find the niche counterparts, you know? I won't buy Obsession Night, or Double Black, but I'm going to get their smells (once again; I smelled them before, but I forgot what they're like) in my head so I can find the niche version.

I really appreciate all of your suggestions, thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Agreed !!!

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

ala acceptfacts, take advice from any random female and disregard your own nose. clearly this is the route to scent nirvana.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Ahhh.. you said first "isn't mainstream" but then go on to say "mainstream is okay"... I don't want to be picky but I'm not sure how to advise you. I'll go with the latter, give some mainstream brands that are perhaps not as ubiquitous as Acqua di Gio and Le Male - how does that sound?

Tropical and light? A friend used to wea Obsession Night and it smelled incredible, despite my bis against CK frags. The new CK Man is also quite good in a generically nice way.
    If we are going for modern "Well made" generic fragrance, then he should definately try YSL L'homme.

For something a bit more interesting yet easy to get, I'd strongly recomend, Brooks Brothers (Not the 1818 or Country Club). Masculine yet understated scent, that is perfect for job interviews and other situations where you want your fragrance to be well liked by all people.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&Parent_Id=228

I recomend trying Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir and also Comme des Garcons Sequoya. Both fit what you are wanting.

Post Re: uh oh, reccomendations needed!

Try Prada AMBER FOR MEN

Basenotes Institution

I second the Black XS by Paco Rabanne recommendation.

Why not Bulgari Black? I don't find it half so "dark" as many others do.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Kenneth Cole Reaction - it is actually well made, fresh without smelling like floor cleaner, tropical, and light.

Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    ala acceptfacts, take advice from any random female and disregard your own nose. clearly this is the route to scent nirvana.

that was a pretty stupid way of interpreting something quite clear.....i directly stated that if he likes it let him walk up to an unbiased(but probably scent knowledgeble pedestrian since they are shopping in a Perfume section of Barneys) and seek their opinion.....he suggested strongly that opposite sex approval of the scent is also important so i dont understand why you would misconstrue it otherwise...nowhere did i even slightly suggest or recommend that he should ignore his own judgement....

i swear....many people on this site are either permanently frustrated or just naturally irritated....its even funnier when they get offended when it doesnt even concern them.

A couple of nice alternatives that won't kill your wallet are:

Laguna by Salvador Dali
    Baldessarini Del Mar Cologne by Hugo Boss

You might not want something as mainstream as Hugo Boss, but it comes off quite tropical...

Aghhh I showed up too late!

Whatever you do, stick with the blue! - Hugh Parsons, that is!

Let's see, what else would work?...

Burberry London?!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

let him walk up to an unbiased(but probably scent knowledgeble pedestrian since they are shopping in a Perfume section of Barneys) and seek their opinion.
    But what if that person is just a rube, with more money than taste, looking to buy something expensive?

i swear....many people on this site are either permanently frustrated or just naturally irritated....its even funnier when they get offended when it doesnt even concern them.
    some people are naturally irritating. perhaps it's your previous statements in regards to every man being interested in cologne primarily for it's influence on the the opposite sex, or the 'don't listen to anyone else, listen to me' line dropped earlier in this thread. the 'all i see here is a bunch of guys talking about their colognes' thing was a classic. i mean, on a male fragrance discussion board. how dare we.

as for reccomendations, these are a few scents i enjoy wearing regularly, kind of generalist smells:

ck truth: understated, green, fresh without lacking substance.
    adp colonia: rose, citrus and soap: simple but extremely high quality, a classic without seeming overly old
    polo double black: amazingly versatile. perhaps my most flexible fragrance. great mango in the top notes.
    Last edited by chad278; 29th December 2007 at 01:54 AM.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Quote Originally Posted by Nitromusk View Post
    But what if that person is just a rube, with more money than taste, looking to buy something expensive?
    another person's opinion or two other people's opinion will add an outside voice to your own reason and logic.....thats something i find refreshing, especially after smelling a bunch of scents in a row.

try kenneth cole reaction or black, polo blue or black, clinique happy, echo by davidoff...all great and i wore them all a couple years back...all very nice and easy to wear...youthful, but not teenie bopperish.

Hell, i would even go on a limb and say give canali a try, i think you would really dig it.
    Last edited by jdnba; 29th December 2007 at 04:26 AM.

My suggestions... try the Frederic Malle Outrageous and also Creed's Virgin Island Water. Good stuff. Have fun.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

also...i forgot one of my favorites in your category...lacoste red a.k.a.. style in play...i dont know why i love this one so much, but its the greatest for a young guy to wear daily...its fruity smelling but masculine at the same time, unlike some stuff by, lets say, escada...go to some counters and ask for a bunch of these that everyone is telling you to try...i like most of the stuff that these guys are reccomending...you cant go wrong, imo, with most of these suggestions. Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
    My suggestions... try the Frederic Malle Outrageous and also Creed's Virgin Island Water. Good stuff. Have fun.

if i would recommend a creed to him...MI would be it....followede by Silver Water and then Erolfa(to me, erolfa is the better of the 3.....but the other two suit his age better)

P.S finally someone else with good tatse---OUTRAGEOUS! is just that.....outrageously good.