Code of Conduct

Default The Saffron Thread

I've noticed saffron pops up with reasonable regularity as a note, but there hasn't been a thread discussing it in particular. I've always enjoyed the scent of saffron, so I'd be intrigued to see what perfumers have done with it.
    Any thoughts on saffron as a note? Any suggestions for good saffron solifleurs ( if there are any ), or good fragrances with a dominant note of saffron?

Default Re: The Saffron Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I've noticed saffron pops up with reasonable regularity as a note, but there hasn't been a thread discussing it in particular. I've always enjoyed the scent of saffron, so I'd be intrigued to see what perfumers have done with it.
    Any thoughts on saffron as a note? Any suggestions for good saffron solifleurs ( if there are any ), or good fragrances with a dominant note of saffron?
    I think saffron smells wonderful, and works well in musky fragrances. If I was fooling around I'd try mixing saffron with brown spices and musky/rooty/leathery base. However real saffron is quite expensive, so one can only imagine what saffron absolutes/concretes would cost.

Diptyque Opôné. The best use of saffron I have worn. Blends amazingly well with the roses and other notes in the scent.
    Last edited by Sloan; 28th December 2007 at 11:56 PM.

L'Homme Sage by Divine, Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I am not an expert by any means, especially when it comes to something like saffron, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Not too long ago, I received a sample of Safron Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur. So far, I really like it but I have only briefly tried it. I will have to dedicate a full day to it in order to evaluate it properly.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Off-Scenter

I enjoy saffron in a scent, but the note sometimes flirts dangerously with rice pilaf. Three scents I like with significant saffron notes are Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Cimabue (a sweet, spicy, and complex oriental) and the aforementioned L'Homme Sage incense, iris, and a rich, but not overly sweet, oriental base) and Opone (a simple, but brilliant blend of saffron and rose). Sadly, Safran Troublant smells like an Indian lunch buffet on me.

At the top of Jack Black Signature Black Mark there is a very nice saffron note, but it only last a moment or two.

Palisander also uses Saffron...hmmm...also L'Homme Sage...Yann Vasnier must like this note. He did all three.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 28th December 2007 at 02:35 PM.

Black Cashmere (Donna Karan) is quite big on the saffron, while not letting it take over. Idole (Lubin) has similar notes, including the saffron, and works as well, though it's more transparent.

Basenotes Institution

Earlier in the year, supermarky mentioned that 'saffron is the new vanilla' - seriously, we all started to see it pop up everywhere it seemed for a while.

It really has to be handled right for me to like it - in Safran Troublant and L' Homme Sage it's slightly too foody for my nose. I am still trying to like them, I haven't given up on them - but when the saffron is at its strongest in these two it smells like room temperature cooked food. Ick.

Saffron is handled beautifully in Palisander by Comme des Garcons and Paprika Brasil by Hermes. In these, it adds a wonderful depth to the woods (Palisander) and salt/brine (Paprika Brasil) notes, without edging over into foody territory.

I remember shadesofbleu recommending Ange ou Demon by Givenchy, but I cannot attest to smelling it or whether it 'works' on a guy. I also haven't tried Opone or Jack Black's Signature Black Mark.

happy is the bleu heart<3

Safron Troublant and Black Cashmere, as already mentioned.

I adore the saffron in Ange ou Demon, there is some orchid and ylang ylang that might make it too girly for most of you guys. on my skin, the floral notes are short-lasting.

Gourmandises by Keiko Mecheri is a saffron+rose+jam scent, sweet in a more foody way.
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 28th December 2007 at 10:10 PM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Prada Ambre ph
    Current Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Lolita Lempica Au Masculin
    Ysl M7
    Creed-Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur
    Acqua di Parma- Mandorlo

Smile Re: The Saffron Thread

I prefer the saron note in Jack Black Black Mark more so than troublant and homme sage.
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Sonia Rykiel Man has a well integrated safran note in its middle development.

Greetings,

I have been on vacation and have had little to no access to the Internet. That’s why I haven't been posting or answering my emails over the last 3 to 4 weeks.

It’s interesting that this thread should come up because one of the things I have been working on while on vacation is an entry for saffron for a forthcoming book on perfumery I plan to write.

I only have a minute or two of computer time, so I thought I’d post a modified form of my entry on saffron.

I’ll be returning to regular posting soon and will, of course, be answering all my messages in due course. My apologies if it seemed I had snubbed any one; that’s definitely not the case.

Now on to saffron:

Quote Originally Posted by Nitromusk View Post
    I think saffron smells wonderful, and works well in musky fragrances. If I was fooling around I'd try mixing saffron with brown spices and musky/rooty/leathery base. However real saffron is quite expensive, so one can only imagine what saffron absolutes/concretes would cost.
    A couple of points of clarification. First, there is no such word as “solifleur”. The word is “soliflore”. It derives from the French word for numerous and varied types of bulbous vases with long drawn out, usually slim, necks designed for the display of a single flower, hence, the use of the name “soliflore” for any fragrance that features a particular flower.

Saffron is not a flower. Saffron is the dried, thread like, orange-yellow stigmas of the purple flowers of the plant Crocus sativus. It is considered a spice.

Saffron essential oil, because of the prohibitive cost of production has been virtually absent from perfumery as a major note until the late 1990s when it was discovered that a minor component of saffron essential oil, 2-Hydroxy-4,4,6-trimethyl-2,5-cyclohexadien-1-one, was predominantly responsible for the odor of the oil along with Safranal (2,2,6-trimethyl-1,3-cyclohexadien-1-carboxaldehyde), which constitutes about 70&#37; of the volatile constituents of saffron essential oil. Not unusually, it is the minor component, and to a lesser extent Safranal, that give the essential oil its distinctiveness. Until these two components were isolated and confirmed in the 1990s as the major constituents of the odor profile of saffron essential oil, the oil was very rarely used in perfumery except in tiny amounts in tincture form to add depth and complexity to floral bases used in women’s perfumes. It is easy and cheap to chemically produce Safranal and this has opened the way for its use as a major note in contemporary perfumery. Two outstanding examples of its being featured as a major note are to be found in Diptyque’s Op&#244;n&#233; and Czech & Speake’s sadly discontinued Dark Rose. I don’t think it’s an accident that saffron works exceedingly well with florals and especially with rose notes.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 29th December 2007 at 05:07 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Greetings,

I have been on vacation and have had little to no access to the Internet. Thatís why I haven't been posting or answering my emails over the last 3 to 4 weeks.

Itís interesting that this thread should come up because one of the things I have been working on while on vacation is an entry for saffron for a forthcoming book on perfumery I plan to write.

I only have a minute or two of computer time, so I thought Iíd post a modified form of my entry on saffron.

Iíll be returning to regular posting soon and will, of course, be answering all my messages in due course. My apologies if it seemed I had snubbed any one; thatís definitely not the case.

Now on to saffron:

It's so, so nice to have you 'back' scentemental. ENJOY your vacation! :wave:

Now, I'm trying to remember...what new release mentions Safranal as a key component...what is it??

Thanks for the information Scentemental ( though I have to wonder, isn't the stigma considered part of the flower? )
    I'm glad this thread has taken off; more stuff for me to sample!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Now, I'm trying to remember...what new release mentions Safranal as a key component...what is it??
    Comme des Garcons 888? Just a guess.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 29th December 2007 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Another guess: l'Eau d'Issey PH Intense?

Saffron is one of my favorite notes. Right now I only have Safranal to work with, and I find it to be a hell of a material. It has so many characteristics. Simultaneously, it smells like leather, black cherry, shoe polish, tobacco, a tray of freezerburned ice cubes, and an air conditioner-- very abstract qualities lie within.

My youngest brother spends a lot of time working on cars-- he's incredibly gifted with things of a mechanical nature. We were talking about smells and he said he wanted me to make him a fragrance that smelled like this leather polish stuff that he used to clean his truck's interior. He showed me the bottle and I smelled it-- it smelled very similar to safranal. So I'm working on a fragrance that features this prominently-- there's also a little tangerine in the top notes, and labdanum and vetiver in the base.

Of commercial fragrances, I really like the use of saffron in Prada Amber Homme and especially in Comme des Gar&#231;ons Palisander.

I'm a fan of Saffron as well and have noticeds it become more popular in fragrances over the years. The first scent I can remember getting that had Saffron in it was Armani Mania, but I'm thinking Dzing has it as well so that may have been the first. Aside from others previously mentioned, Escada Magnatism and Versace Man both have notes of Saffron in them as well.

Basenotes Institution

Comme des Garcons 888? Just a guess.
    Bingo! That's it.

In Iran we use saffron as a flavor in cooking specially for rice. It makes foods smell and taste far better. Also its very expensive here.
    I like it as an aromatic note, but I think lots of designers use it inappropriately. For example I think Prada use it in wrong situation. I think they should had use another aromatic spice instead of Saffron.
    I agree with the point which say it is the new vanilla. I think they over use it in perfumes.

I love Divine's L'Homme Sage but was never aware that it contained saffron. I must learn my notes and accords.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 1st January 2008 at 05:56 AM.

Could Tom of Finland be considered here?

Washington Tremlett Black Tie has a nice rose-saffron accord

Idole de Lubin
    Ineke Evening Edged in Gold
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Caliber 12

Fun to see this old thread pop up, let's see if more saffron scents popped up over the years.

I can add Rose Kashmirie from Let Parfums de Rosine and from Arabian Oud 1000 Flowers
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Washington Tremlett Black Tie is very rose- and saffron-prominent.

ELdO Tom Of Finland
    Lubin Idole
    L'Homme Sage
    Montale Red Aoud

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

M Micallef's Aoud Homme is mainly oud, saffron and rose. A deeper rendition of the C&S Dark Rose mentioned above.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Oud 27 had a generous dollop of the stuff

how has Tom Ford Noir de Noir not been mentioned yet?! at least to me I get a nice saffron, rose, oud combo. I think it's quite 'pretty' for a men's scent, but still well balanced with the oud.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

+1 on Noir de Noir. I tried Safran Troublant, and liked it...but unfortunately it was so light it was virtually non-existent.

Love Saffron, and especially love to cook with it. Works great in Persian stews and rice, as well as in Paella's.

Wow, I haven't heard of most of these, but I want to sample them soon.
    This one looks interesting

Saffron is one of my favourite scents, outside of perfumery. I use it in cooking and especially in cocktails (I make my own saffron gin and vodka).

For perfumery though, even though a tincture is very easy to make yourself, it isn't too easy to use because the colour is so strong and so staining. Who wants a perfume that will put a yellow stain on a white shirt or blouse? Safranal always seems a bit like cheating, but I guess that is the price of art.

Also I observe that many people cannot smell saffron at all, which is a bit of downside for the world's most expensive spice.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Blog Entries

Saffron might be my all-time favorite note...here's what I have so far: Lyric Woman, Agent Provocateur, Montale White Oud, Saffron Troublant, ummm...Daphne Commes Des Garcons, Black Cashmere, LDDM (?), an incredible Asrar Attar from Amouage (this is the best one, but really tough because not available to test in the USA)...
    Last edited by Fleurine; 1st September 2011 at 12:55 AM.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Wow, I haven't heard of most of these, but I want to sample them soon.
    This one looks interesting
    I had this a couple of years ago, but didn't fall in love with it and sold it. The saffron was fairly pronounced, if I remember correctly - giving it a metallic honey feel. But overall, I found it to be a fairly linear scent that wore close to the skin.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but TF Tuscan Leather has saffron in it, too.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Mukhalat Malaki by swiss Arabian. It is all about Saffron and Turkish Rose.