Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The Saffron Thread

Oud 27 had a generous dollop of the stuff

how has Tom Ford Noir de Noir not been mentioned yet?! at least to me I get a nice saffron, rose, oud combo. I think it's quite 'pretty' for a men's scent, but still well balanced with the oud.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

+1 on Noir de Noir. I tried Safran Troublant, and liked it...but unfortunately it was so light it was virtually non-existent.

Love Saffron, and especially love to cook with it. Works great in Persian stews and rice, as well as in Paella's.

Wow, I haven't heard of most of these, but I want to sample them soon.
    This one looks interesting

Saffron is one of my favourite scents, outside of perfumery. I use it in cooking and especially in cocktails (I make my own saffron gin and vodka).

For perfumery though, even though a tincture is very easy to make yourself, it isn't too easy to use because the colour is so strong and so staining. Who wants a perfume that will put a yellow stain on a white shirt or blouse? Safranal always seems a bit like cheating, but I guess that is the price of art.

Also I observe that many people cannot smell saffron at all, which is a bit of downside for the world's most expensive spice.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Blog Entries

Saffron might be my all-time favorite note...here's what I have so far: Lyric Woman, Agent Provocateur, Montale White Oud, Saffron Troublant, ummm...Daphne Commes Des Garcons, Black Cashmere, LDDM (?), an incredible Asrar Attar from Amouage (this is the best one, but really tough because not available to test in the USA)...
    Last edited by Fleurine; 1st September 2011 at 12:55 AM.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Wow, I haven't heard of most of these, but I want to sample them soon.
    This one looks interesting
    I had this a couple of years ago, but didn't fall in love with it and sold it. The saffron was fairly pronounced, if I remember correctly - giving it a metallic honey feel. But overall, I found it to be a fairly linear scent that wore close to the skin.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but TF Tuscan Leather has saffron in it, too.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Mukhalat Malaki by swiss Arabian. It is all about Saffron and Turkish Rose.