Code of Conduct

Default Baldessarini review

Here's another review, of Baldessarini. This one is special; it was the first one that I tried, and the first one that I bought... but we can't let that get in the way of a fair review, so here goes!

===
    Hugo Boss is a very well-known name in the German fashion industry, and Werner Baldessarini was his right-hand man. In honor of him, the fragrance Baldessarini was launched in 2000 -- and launched very well. Just by examining the pyramid, we see that tangerine, bitter orange, and green mint are our top notes, while patchouli, clove buds, and cumin seeds make up the heart, followed by more patchouli, sandalwood, fir balsam, tobacco, amber, and musk as the base notes.

With this setup on paper, it's hard not to get giddy -- the layout is absolutely marvelous, it's the perfect combination for a cologne that has the potential of being one of the best scents in the world. The notation is simply gorgeous and seemingly infinite in range; from the tropical, juicy tangerines that are succulent and sweet, bursting with lively warmth, to the bitter, harsh notes of the tobacco leaf set us up for a majestic fragrance. However, right off the bat we have a problem... with such a wide range of notes, Baldessarini will inevitably run into some problems. The tangerine and mint are going to be rubbish in the cold weather, which leaves the scent smelling like dirt and cigarettes when the weather is nippy; and, for your warm summer-time days, the tobacco notes from this cologne are alone going to be responsible for your mother's lung cancer. We're already going down a bad road...

Baldessarini could have saved itself by not having such an absurd range of potent scents. The tangerine and bitter orange are unbelievable, they literally make you hungry, and the tobacco is so masculine, that manly scents like Grey Flannel and K10 become prepubescent in its midst. But having such an uncontrolled range is deadly, and a huge letdown for the scent. If you wear it during the summer or winter, you're going to be very disappointed to find that there's no real cohesion in the scent, it seriously is a vast multitude of ingredients that don't tie in together to make a single scent. There is no flirting between top and heart and base notes, and the mixture remains separated into just that -- your minty, tangy top, proceeded by a brand-new earthy heart, proceeded by a brand-new musky, tobacco base. It's too choppy, and split up; you wonder if Baldessarini is three separate colognes. Well then, bah for Baldessarini; it appears to be somewhat disappointing...

Until we wear it during the fall or early spring, when conditions are just right for the ingredients to shine -- and the effect is mindblowing. It's such a rarity to be able to wear Baldessarini in the right conditions, that it's worthless unless it's JUST the right time of year. Each ingredient works in harmony with the next to create a chain of scent that is so remarkable, that it's almost too much to handle. The initial burst of sweet tangerine is subsided by a strikingly smooth hint of mint leaf; both of which are guided to the heart by a soft bitter orange note, which opens the door to an herbal heaven. Here, the warmth of the patchouli fuses with the tangerine and projects a sweet, mossy scent, while the mint and bitter orange fade in with bitter clove buds and cumin seeds, striking out their extremities; ultimately resulting in one of the greatest transitions ever. It doesn't stop there, though, because the heart-to-base transition is even greater. The shift from a slightly fruity/herbal/lightly woodsy heart to a tobacco/dark wood base is extremely hard, just because such strong bases carry their own dominant scents, and the mixture of powerful hearts and powerful bases results in a nauseating scent most of the time, that smells like nothing recognizable. However, in Baldessarini, the extra bed of patchouli serves as a median, allowing the heart notes to fade away without interfering with the scent of the base notes. The crucial difference that it makes is what literally makes the fragrance wearable; tobacco is such a harsh note, that when you mix it with tangerines and mint (of all things, those are the two worst) they become rotten, and the entire scent smells of week-old, half-smoked cigarette stubs that are rubbed in your nose against your will. But, somehow, the patchouli resists the mixture and allows a clash-free drydown, with proper diffusion of heart/top notes before the strong, woodsy base begins to release it's own scent.

Taking chances is always a great thing, because it allows for a range of concoctions to be produced, that deviate from typical boundaries, and push the limit s of what ingredients can and cannot be used. Baldessarini's ingredients are completely independent of each other -- consider Baldessarini to be a puzzle, and each note is a piece that aligns with the next, but they constantly spin in different speeds and directions, so the alignment is never quite right... one day it's too tangy and almost like a woman's perfume, and the next you find yourself smelling like a smoker's convention hut, but rarities do occur, and when the pieces fit together, the result is sheer bliss; Baldessarini becomes one of the classiest, well-done, diverse fragrances ever known.

Strengths:
    Jaw-dropping range of ingredients
    Extremely smooth transitions
    Unbelievable use of patchouli
    Fresh, non-clotting bitter orange

Weaknesses:
    Not easily worn
    Lung-cancer inducing tobacco

---
    Sillage: 8/10 -- very noticeable due to its setup
    Longevity: 6/10 -- for how majestic Baldessarini can be, the longevity is too short. It kills the nirvana too quickly.
    Complexity: 10/10 -- the pyramid says it all
    Development: 5/5 -- Baldessarini is like a poem, with it's twist and turns, ups and downs, climaxes and resolutions.
    Raw scent: 5/10 -- there's a tangy, tarty twist that Baldessarini just seems to be lacking.

Overall rating: 7/10 -- Baldessarini needs some tart to counter the tang; the oranges and mint are present right down to the tobacco note. A dash of pomegranate would be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Baldessarini review

You have a 7/10 now, but smell your shirt tomorrow morning and I'll bet it’s going up to an 11. I'm not going to attack the wise judgements of many Basenoters but I think there is a very strong tendency to dismiss scents here simply because of a name. I dare say that Baldessarini being associated with Hugo Boss; is an immediate no-no for 90% of the people here who bothered to try it.

The lingering odour or Baldessarini long after you've changed out of your clothes is the most absolutely divine scent I've ever smelt, personally up to par if not surpassing: the Kouros "honeyed incense", Creed House note, even the "Guerlainade".

I don't know the exact composition but the fir, tobacco, lingering Patchouli, and maybe just a slight hint of ambergris is as close to a holy grail as I've come so far. I have on numerous occasions indulged myself by spraying my clothes the day prior to actually wearing them.

I've likened Baldessarini to an "orange glow" similar to the sun on the horizon. While the progressing "sunset" of the actually scent is less than divine, the sunrise next morning makes everything more than worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    You have a 7/10 now, but smell your shirt tomorrow morning and I'll bet it’s going up to an 11. I'm not going to attack the wise judgements of many Basenoters but I think there is a very strong tendency to dismiss scents here simply because of a name. I dare say that Baldessarini being associated with Hugo Boss; is an immediate no-no for 90% of the people here who bothered to try it.
    I wear colognes for months before I review them :P The 7/10 is with the next-day's scent figured in.

Don't get me wrong, I love Baldessarini. And the mention to Hugo Boss in the beginning wasn't detrimental to the review, or critical of the fact that it comes from a mainstream line.

You'll find that with however excellent a cologne is, the downside to it will be just as noticeable, which is what makes giving Baldessarini a 7/10 so hard. It's an amazing scent, but it has it's embarrassing factors; and with such a powerful and classy cologne, the mistakes really stand out.

There aren't that many, but for what little there are, they're amplified because of it's positive qualities. You kinda get what I'm saying, right? Every action has a reaction equal in force, just like a positive has a negative equal in ... hmm, I don't know how to put it in fragrance terms, haha.

I have to say you have quite a talent and a devotion my friend! Keep it up!! I enjoyed your review greatly!
    Cheers!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Yes, I feel you have a talent to review fragrances as well and I say that with no ego. Keep it up!

Baldessarini's great...might wear it tomorrow! One of my most complemented fragrances.
    Last edited by knightowl; 28th December 2007 at 05:40 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    The lingering odour or Baldessarini long after you've changed out of your clothes is the most absolutely divine scent I've ever smelt
    Quoted for Emphasis... I totally agree.. I can drown into that mesmerizing aroma
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Baldessarini's great...might wear it tomorrow! One of my most complemented fragrances.
    One of my most complimented ones too, I sooo want to wear it tomorrow now too..sadly I'm not sure that it'll work that great in the cool weather here
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    I have to say you have quite a talent and a devotion my friend! Keep it up!! I enjoyed your review greatly!
    Cheers!
    Seconded... amazing review my friend.. I love the attention to minute details and your phrasing of the entire review
    Last edited by Amit; 28th December 2007 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review! While we're on the subject, what do you all think of "Ambre" ? I recently snagged a sample of it and felt that, although it was a bit too smoky at first, the dry down was remarkably deep and delicate.

Thumbs up Re: Baldessarini review

great review

Baldessarini's one of the best from H. Boss or maybe the best. I used to like it a lot esp. before I discovered Basenotes and all those other amazing frags. After testing and having gone through many other great scents, all those Lutens, Creeds, Guerlains, Carons, L'Artisans and other niche/designer, old or more recent greats, classics..etc...I still have about 1/2 bottle of Baldessarini cologne concentree left and hardly ever use it these days as I think there's so many more interesting/diverse or simply better scents out there. Baldessarini's a good scent, let's see if you still think it's one of the classiest, well-done, diverse fragrances ever known after, say 1 or 2years..

Post Thanks / Like

I notice that neither this review, nor your Cool Water one, are among the reviews at the main site. If you haven't already done so, please make sure you do a copy and paste job.

Otherwise, your indepth reviews will wind up lost among the myriad of posts, and will not be read at the place where most people go to read the reviews.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 28th December 2007 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Its Mike View Post
    Excellent review! While we're on the subject, what do you all think of "Ambre" ? I recently snagged a sample of it and felt that, although it was a bit too smoky at first, the dry down was remarkably deep and delicate.
    I got Ambre recently-- it smells like a smoked out version of Boss Bottled. But it also smelled so much like something else that I had and I couldn't think of it-- I just knew that it was "niche". Finally I realized that Baldessarini Ambre is very similar to Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia-- which is just a wonderful, crazy scent.

Baldessarini smells like orange bubble gum to me...

Post Thanks / Like

baldessarini smells like headache to me.

Ambre smells like a wino...not that i go around sniffing winos, but its the type of frag that reminds me of talking to one of your dad's drunk buddy's where you can smell the alcohol on his breath and his strong cologne at the same time.
    Last edited by jdnba; 29th December 2007 at 04:50 AM.