Code of Conduct

Default Intriguing fragrances...Bois 1820?

I was in my local Fenwicks yesterday killing a few minutes before going to catch my train home from work, and I was pottering around the perfumery (as you do), when I came across a very small display of what looked rather similar to Serge Lutens bell jars (except they weren't). The fragrances contained in the bottles were not labelled on the fronts, but underneath, so I had to lift each one to find out what they were called. They all had the word BOIS on the boxes in the display cabinet underneath the merchandise stand they were on (which I know is French for Forest), and the date 1820. Other than that, there was no information whatsoever. As I didn't have enough time to investigate properly, or sample any on my skin, I just lifted one (which I think was labelled Pure Patchouli), and had a sniff. It was a really amazing patchouli, and I wanted to try it out, but just told myself I'd go back again next week during my lunch hour and have a proper look.

Now, of course, the idea of waiting until next Wednesday is driving me nuts, and I've had a look online and haven't been able to find anything called Bois 1820. There were only about 8 fragrances in the entire collection, all with very simple names, giving an idea that they were single note fragrances, mostly, but other than that, I know nothing about them. I may even go back over there tomorrow because it's driving me bonkers not knowing what they are and who they're by. Also, I want to actually sample them properly.

But in the meantime, does this description ring any bells for anyone? Does anyone know anything about these perfumes? If the patchouli one is anything to go by, I suspect the others will be stunning (and I never saw a price on any of them, so that's another wee mystery for me to solve).
    Last edited by Clemmie; 28th December 2007 at 02:09 PM.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Default Re: Intriguing fragrances...Bois 1820?

Bois 1920, perhaps? Were the bottles sort of frosted? This is the only house I can think of -- though, granted, it's 19 rather than 18 -- and they do make a frag called Real Patchouli. LuckyScent carries them.

Quote Originally Posted by OmToast View Post
    Bois 1920, perhaps? Were the bottles sort of frosted? This is the only house I can think of -- though, granted, it's 19 rather than 18 -- and they do make a frag called Real Patchouli. LuckyScent carries them.
    That's it! That's it! Got 18 and 19 mixed up - my fault. Yes, they're the ones, thank you!
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    That's it! That's it! Got 18 and 19 mixed up - my fault. Yes, they're the ones, thank you!
    Yay! No problem!

Oh, I had a proper sniff of Real Patchouli today and Oh. My. God. I wanted it SO much, but at £92 and no smaller, cheaper bottles as an option, I had to leave it in the shop. I think I may have to save for this one, it's so rich and peppery and gorgeous. The SAs were useless. I asked for samples, they didn't have any, I got a squirt on a card, which was no use at all (it has to be on skin to sample properly) and not having the option to buy a smaller bottle just made me want to cry. But at least I have another 'line' to hanker after now.
    Bill Cosby

I have a sample of Bois 1920 classic 1920 (wasn't it from you, sloan? ) that I have set aside as a fragrance I may want to get for my lover. I think it's wonderful.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I have a sample of Bois 1920 classic 1920 (wasn't it from you, sloan? ) that I have set aside as a fragrance I may want to get for my lover. I think it's wonderful.
    So there are samples out there, then. Right. I'm on a search for it. I liked the Classic too - and the Ylang. They're very richly formulated frags, and I got the impression they'd last well.
    Bill Cosby

Basenotes Institution

We've discussed these a lot on the mens boards - check these threads out:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=196677
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=197135
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195553

I have only smelled Sushi Imperiale - it was recommended to me, since I like cinnamon. When I smelled it I didn't quite expect it to be so FRUITY as it is - it smelled like cinnamon fruit punch. It was not bad, but it was suprising and I must smell it again to really see if it's bottle worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    We've discussed these a lot on the mens boards - check these threads out:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=196677
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=197135
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195553

I have only smelled Sushi Imperiale - it was recommended to me, since I like cinnamon. When I smelled it I didn't quite expect it to be so FRUITY as it is - it smelled like cinnamon fruit punch. It was not bad, but it was suprising and I must smell it again to really see if it's bottle worthy.
    Thanks for the links. Funny, the Patchouly one was described on one thread as a 'shitbomb' and on another it was popular. I found it reminiscent of Ambre Sultan - but more peppery. I really liked it, and I had a sniff of the others, and found them delightfully unisex. I loved the Vetiver one too. I liked Sushi Imperiale, but I know what you mean about the fruitiness. It was a tad too sweet for my taste, but still rich. I found all of them very nicely blended - rounded, if that makes any sense?
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I found all of them very nicely blended - rounded, if that makes any sense?
    I tried Sushi Imperiale, Real Patchouli, Vetiver Ambrato and Sandalo e The a little while ago and yes, Clemmie, it makes totally sense. They are very well blended and certainly refined and high quality. I still find them a bit overpriced though, given they are EdTs and do not excel in longevity, at least on my skin. If you loved Real Patchouli, did you already give PG L'Ombre Fauve and Chanel Coromandel a try? I find them quite similar, with the latter two having more depth and "body".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    I tried Sushi Imperiale, Real Patchouli, Vetiver Ambrato and Sandalo e The a little while ago and yes, Clemmie, it makes totally sense. They are very well blended and certainly refined and high quality. I still find them a bit overpriced though, given they are EdTs and do not excel in longevity, at least on my skin. If you loved Real Patchouli, did you already give PG L'Ombre Fauve and Chanel Coromandel a try? I find them quite similar, with the latter two having more depth and "body".
    No, I haven't tried either of those. I tend to walk past the Chanel areas of most perfume sections in department stores, which is daft, because I wear Coco Mademoiselle (am wearing it now as my SOTE in fact), so I really should give that a go. I've never even heard of L'Ombre Fauve. Much to learn, much to learn...
    Bill Cosby

I gave these a quick sniff at Barneys in NYC last summer, and thought that maybe I was madly in love with Vetiver Ambrato, but it was the very end of a very long day of sniffing, and I wasn't sure enough to part with the cash.

Honestly, I promptly forgot about them after that! (I'm so easily distracted!)

There was one other that was interesting to me, too, but don't remember which one it was. I may need to revisit these. Thanks for the reminder!