Code of Conduct

Default What is a flacon?

Besides being a large container, how does a flacon work. Particularly from the house of Creed. Is it a spray? Is there a trick to using it properly?

Many thanks.

Default Re: What is a flacon?

It's usually a bottle with a stopper closure. Stopper as in a glorified plug, as in glass usually. That's just usually. I'm sure a bottle with a screw top cap has been called a flacon by some producer down the line. Also, it can be a small bottle. Pure perfume often comes in small flacons.

About the Creed flacons, they're certainly big bottles. They don't have sprays, they're so big they're meant to be poured into a re-fillable Creed atomizer from which you spray onto yourself. Those atomizers are expensive, about US$100, but you can go cheap and find an ounce or two ounce size (or other size) atomizer elsewhere. I don't know where though, and they're usually cheap.

Hope this helps,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

You can get small atomizers at Sephora for $10 US, but I am guessing they are only about 15 ml. They work reasonably well.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Institution

Yes - what Chris said above. ^

Here's a picture of a Virgin Island Water flacon:

Yummm, the flacon looks so good I'd splash it straight from it.

Yes, what Chris and Mike said.

That, or any perfume's or cologne's bottle when the frag in question is priced $100 and up. (LOLOLOL -- like the difference between a "vase" and a "vahz," or "damaged" and "as found.")

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Flacon means, "a whale's vagina" in French.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    You just made me spit out my ambergris!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    This gives a completely new dimension to the phrase 'the flacon has arrived'.

gupts

Better yet, "My new flacon just fell off the bedside table and broke." Or "Wow, look how the light catches my flacon."
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 28th December 2007 at 09:04 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

No, I don't want to go out tonight, I'm going to stay home and polish my flacon.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Curiously enough, the second part of "flacon" does have something like this meaning in French, although it is more usual to use it as a term of abuse, something like "a**hole" or "s**thead" in English. It can also be used as an adjective to mean "stupid" or "idiotic." The French like this word and its variant "connard," which is generally used to mean something like "fool" or "idiot." A more polite word for the female part is "chatte," which has the more endearing feel of "pussy" in English, kind of warm and furry.

The French word for whale, however, is "baleine," so I don't see where the whale comes into it... (Ahem [cough cough]). "Blanc de baleine " is spermaceti. (Don't get nervous, boys, this is just the stuff they used to burn in those whale-oil lamps they used in great-grandpappy's day.)

BTW, a lot of the French-speaking SAs I've encountered in the States don't use the word "flacon" at all when referring to the container; they say "bouteille" (bottle), perhaps under the influence of English. Hélas... ce qu'ils font de notre belle langue!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 28th December 2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typos
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca