Code of Conduct

Thumbs up ode to molecule 01

i posted a mini review in another post, but i cant get over how much i like this frag...i was very wary about it because i had heard many reviews of disgruntlrd b noters who thought it smelled of nothing. Of course, curiosity got the best of me and i had to buy a sample.

As soon as i opened the sample top i could smell it...strange i know. I purchased 5 ml spray bottle from the perfumed court and i swear it was so inviting when i first opened it...i sprayed it on my arm and guess what...to my surprise, i smelled nothing...and then it came back to me...it essentially haunted me, but in a good way.

It kept taking vanishing lessons but then reappearing when least expected. I dont really get cedar wood, but i get something woody and musky and all around velvety when i am lucky to get a waft.

This elixir certainly defines putting an aura around oneself and it certainly is the master of understated beauty.

I feel truly sorry for those that cant either smell iso e or for those whose skin chemistry does not form such beautiful symbiosis.

Default Re: ode to molecule 01

It's not that I am anosmic to Iso-E Super, it's that to me it smells sort of like dill pickle juice! I have the same problem with the Iso-E in Tumulte and in Passage d'Enfer. After I apply these, I do get that musky, woody goodness but then in creeps that dreaded vinegar note. I remember that there was someone else complaining of the same thing with Iso-E Super...hmmm, I will have to think. Maybe it was Shifts?

hmmm, very interesting indeed...im glad i dont get that since, i like pickles, but pickle juice grosses me out...ha ha . thank you for the comment!

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    It's not that I am anosmic to Iso-E Super, it's that to me it smells sort of like dill pickle juice! I have the same problem with the Iso-E in Tumulte and in Passage d'Enfer.

Wow, I'm so glad to hear another person say this! Passage D'Enfer is pickle-attack on my skin, but I've been nervous about mentioning it in case it was just me.

ha ha...my little bro's ex girlfriend used to DRINK pickle juice from the jar...ugggggghhhh....but maybe if you can find someone out there who likes pickle drippings that much, i would say that you guys are certainly in business! Ha ha...it is very interesting what skin chemistry will do,no?

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Wow, I'm so glad to hear another person say this! Passage D'Enfer is pickle-attack on my skin, but I've been nervous about mentioning it in case it was just me.
    Well, on the sample that I had (of Passage), it didn't come out as pickles on me at all... but I recently ordered a bottle, and so I pray that it isn't something different from sample to bottle (which has been the case a couple times for me!)

I might just try a small vial of Molecule 01 from TPC - I have a few other things on my list to try, so that might be a good addition to the list!
    Last edited by Schachman; 29th December 2007 at 04:37 AM.
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Why not get some Iso E Super from perfumer's apprentice, dillute it in alcohol, and wear it? You can get 10ml for $6, dillute it to 20% or so in either Everclear or some ethanol rubbing alcohol (not isopropyl!). There ya go, 50ml for under $10.

i would probably screw it up and melt my skin off...ha ha just kidding, it is a great idea actually.

I own and enjoy Escentric 01. The one with Lime, Pepper and Orris with Iso E-Super. Great stuff and incredible longevity. Sneaks in and out during the day.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 29th December 2007 at 10:35 AM.

Stuffman, I remember reading recently that it only costs about $5 a bottle to make perfume on average. That seems hard to believe but if it's true, someone is making loads of money...

True. No different though than the trendy vodka and tequila movement, $200 jean rage, $205 Creed price, modern art copied at every antique mall in the country, High end designer fashion; you get the point. Many things we pay big bucks on, well, the profit margin is quite simply, mind boggling. These products really probably cost nothing to make in comparison to what supply and demand, trend, and pop culture set as the price.

I made a decision to buy Escentric 01 because it smells good to me and many people around me think so also. Is it worth 135$ dollars? No, definitely not. But as long as people like me and many others buy it, it will be on the market. If we did cost justification on the frags we buy, this board would cease to exist.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 29th December 2007 at 01:53 PM.

Well, the profit margin has to be quite high on perfumes. Even us aficionados will rarely buy more than one 100ml bottle of anything. It's not exactly a product with - I forget the marketing/business term, but it's not a high turnover product, like toothpaste or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    Why not get some Iso E Super from perfumer's apprentice, dillute it in alcohol, and wear it? You can get 10ml for $6, dillute it to 20% or so in either Everclear or some ethanol rubbing alcohol (not isopropyl!). There ya go, 50ml for under $10.
    A quick post. Still on vacation. Will be returning soon.

Stuffman it's not that easy. I've tried it. You won't get Escentric Molecules 01.

If Iso E Super® is going to work successfully in a fragrance, it needs to be thoughtfully and skilfully blended in the right proportions with other aromatic elements with which it then acts synergistically to enhance, vivify, and lift. This is where the success of aroma chemicals like Iso E Super® and Hedione® lie and where the success of Escentric Molecules 01 lies: lime, pink pepper, iris, and the barest trace of incense in conjunction with Iso E Super® all carefully blended to form an extraordinary and new whole. To illustrate this point further, its sister fragrance, Molecule 01, which is predominantly Iso E Super® (as opposed to 65% Iso E Super® for Escentric Molecule 01) is essentially characterless, and in some cases barely detectable to certain people. On its own, Iso E Super® is an aromatic whisper. Mixed, in the correct way and in the correct proportions with other aromatic ingredients--as it is in Escentric Molecules 01--it provides a clarion, stentorian radiance along with its own particular aromatic profile (described below).

Escentric Molecule 01 has excellent sillage and longevity thanks to the Iso E Super®. It's a captivating, enveloping, buoyant fragrance, a understated spicy incensey aromatic piquancy overlaid with Iso E Super’s® velvety smooth, ambery cedary woodiness, that also has, strangely enough, a pleasant, beguiling lemony citrus edge to it. This last quality may be due to Iso E Super’s® interaction with and extension of the lime note in the fragrance. It's a complex synergy, for sure. You won't get any of this with pure Iso E Super®. It's the Iso E Super® that adds to and harmonizes all these elements and also provides an ethereal touch to the whole creation, a certain soft, angelic yet steady intense radiance that underpins and provides a lift to the whole accord.

I have found that Escentric Molecules 01 unfailingly garners compliments from all kinds of people when worn. If you spray it on your shirt, it wears a little differently than on the skin, and it will last for at least five days. On the skin, it lasts pretty much 12 to 16 hours.

The nose behind Escentric Molecules 01, Geza Schön, is a very talented perfumer and some one to watch out for.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 29th December 2007 at 07:31 PM.

scentemental, great post...as always! I am trying to figure out what my problem is with Iso E. I am almost positive that the dill pickle note is caused by the Iso E Super because I noticed it first with Molecule 01 which started the whole thing for me. I smell the same note in Escentric Molecule and Tumulte and.....

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    scentemental, great post...as always! I am trying to figure out what my problem is with Iso E. I am almost positive that the dill pickle note is caused by the Iso E Super because I noticed it first with Molecule 01 which started the whole thing for me. I smell the same note in Escentric Molecule and Tumulte and.....
    Thanks for the kind words paintrman.

Do you get the same reaction with CdG 3? There's a similar Tumulte Pour Homme type dill pickle note in CdG 3, which I attribute to the Iso E Super® or at least to its interaction with something else. I don't think it's the Iso E
    Super® per se which produces the dill pickle note. Féminité du Bois is made up of 43% Iso E Super®, and its sister fragrance Lutens' Bois et Fruits also contains a healthy dose of Iso E Super®, but both manifest no pickle note at all. There's definitely no pickle note in the pure stuff itself as anyone who has smelled Iso E Super® will attest to.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 29th December 2007 at 09:32 PM.

I know Escentric 01 has more than just Iso E Super, but I believe jdnba was refering to Molecule 01, which is simply Iso E Super without any other supporting notes, which is why I suggested what I did. I think the confusion lies is the names of the products: Escentric Molecules Escentric 01 vs. Escentric Molecules Molecule 01.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    I know Escentric 01 has more than just Iso E Super, but I believe jdnba was refering to Molecule 01, which is simply Iso E Super without any other supporting notes, which is why I suggested what I did. I think the confusion lies is the names of the products: Escentric Molecules Escentric 01 vs. Escentric Molecules Molecule 01.

Right you are Stuffman. Sorry about my inattentiveness. I would have to say in the light of the original post you're advice is absolutely correct.

Again, sorry for the confusion and thanks for straightening it out.

Best regards,

scentemental

Regardless, I'd love to give Escentric 01 a try solely on the lovely description you gave to it! You always do a such a marvelous job elucidating the artistic qualities of a fragrance, often from a technical standpoint.