Code of Conduct

Thread: Tiffany for Men

Default Tiffany for Men

I've recently found my Holy Grail of colognes, Royal Briar, but I'm always in the mood to see if I can top my favorite. I've tried a TON of colognes lately -- I've been shopping for weeks and I can't believe I can still even smell coffee beans!

At any rate, one of the colognes I always find having excellent reviews is Tiffany for Men. It is unfortunately discontinued, and I have yet to find a store that has it so that I can smell it. It is possible to order online, but of course it's quite expensive.

Normally I'm in the mood for a blind buy, but budget is no longer permitting.

I'm not into spicy colognes...Caron Third Man is as spicy as I can get (thank God its spices practically disappear during dry down on me). I'm also not into really sweet smelling colognes.

I've read that Tiffany for men starts off sweet but then dries down to musky. I like musky a lot. I also like powdery.

Can someone check out my wardrobe and give me your opinion on if you think Tiffany would fit nicely into my stash?

So was Tiffany for Men a dud? The *only* reason I would find justification for a cologne/perfume to be discontinued is if the sales were horrible. If something is good and popular, let it live on forever!
    Last edited by atrac; 2nd December 2007 at 11:14 PM.

Default Re: Tiffany for Men

Tiffany for men is not discontinued - the scent is only carried in their stores and website. A Tiffany Store just recenlty opened in Rhode Island and they sell Tiffany for men.

The fragrance is a very elegent scent and well made.
    Last edited by scentimus; 2nd December 2007 at 11:38 PM.

Tiffany for Men is not discontinued - I received a bottle directly from Tiffany last month.

I had been looking at the ones on eBay for quite a long time and, on a whim, checked out the Tiffany website. It was less expensive than many of the ones on eBay and they shipped it for free! Comes in a nice box too!

It is rightfully regarded as one of the classic fragrances. It was created by Jacques Polge, Chanel's longtime nose, exclusively for Tiffany.

I love a good chypre (Chanel pour Monsieur is one of my favorites) and Tiffany for Men is one of the best!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 2nd December 2007 at 11:47 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

If you call Tiffany (via the phone # on their website), they will send you samples. I was sent complimentary Tiffany FM and also their Sport offering (I asked for both).
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Post Re: Tiffany for Men

Tiffany for men,is in my top five. last October I purchased a 100ML, bottle at Tiffany's.So if this is discontinued, it would be a surprise to me. If tou have a Tiffany jeweler's near you call them. It was 75.00 for 100ML, and 50.00 for a 50 ML, bottle. As with all fragrance's you might want to sample first.

WOW! You guys are correct! There it is, right on their website! I thought that perhaps Basenotes was just "behind" when it said "in production" on the review portion of it.

This is good news indeed.

Thanks for preventing me from making a mistake and falling victim to the eBay urban legend that it is discontinued.

If you are also into aftershave, I think that the Tiffany for Men aftershave balm is one of the best, smoothest ones there is. For some weird reason, I've gotten more positive comments when wearing the balm by itself, than when wearing the EDT (not one positive comment).
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    If you are also into aftershave, I think that the Tiffany for Men aftershave balm is one of the best, smoothest ones there is. For some weird reason, I've gotten more positive comments when wearing the balm by itself, than when wearing the EDT (not one positive comment).
    Renato
    I remember your words from a previous thread Renato and since then i am on a lookout for Tiffany Balm....I came across one selling on ebay in UK and the seller refused to post it overseas...it was sold for equivalent of 15AUD...what a shame.......Ofcourse you can get it at a full price anytime but i am looking for a deal...

gupts

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    I've read that Tiffany for men starts off sweet but then dries down to musky. I like musky a lot. I also like powdery.
    I guess you will like it. Gave it a try on saturday when passing chez Tiffany's at Zurich. It actually is as you expect it to be. Somehow sophisticated an elegant, it could also be my next buy.

What's the lasting power of TfM?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I remember your words from a previous thread Renato and since then i am on a lookout for Tiffany Balm....I came across one selling on ebay in UK and the seller refused to post it overseas...it was sold for equivalent of 15AUD...what a shame.......Ofcourse you can get it at a full price anytime but i am looking for a deal...

gupts
    I scavanged an impressive looking bottle of the balm for $30 when Myers Frankston were getting rid of it some years ago. The trouble with balms is that they can go off, so I'd never spend more than that amount. Full price could only be considered when you are sure you will use it up in say two years.
    Renato
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    On me it's the same as average good scents, lasting an entire working day.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 3rd December 2007 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm especially glad to know that it's readily available at Tiffany's because someone just did "Buy it now" on the one I was watching on eBay. It'd actually be the same price as buying it in the store or online so I'm safe.

There's a store near me in Pasadena...I'll be trying it next weekend. Too bad they close at 7pm or I'd be doing it earlier -- in LA traffic there's no way I'd get there from my job by 7pm.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Well, on me it lasts 8 hours.

Reading the reviews on Tiffany FM on BN I'm thinking Tiffany must have sent me a completely different fragrance in the TfM bottle. What I smell is a very soft, powdery and rather feminine scent. I'm not saying it's bad but..a power scent, boardrooms, woods, spices, ...where do you get that from? More like a cologne for a shy, gentle/delicate and feminine gentleman. Will have to double-check at a Tiffany store anyways..

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Reading the reviews on Tiffany FM on BN I'm thinking Tiffany must have sent me a completely different fragrance in the TfM bottle. What I smell is a very soft, powdery and rather feminine scent. I'm not saying it's bad but..a power scent, boardrooms, woods, spices, ...where do you get that from? More like a cologne for a shy, gentle/delicate and feminine gentleman. Will have to double-check at a Tiffany store anyways..
    Jacques Polge's Tiffany for Men is not a power scent by any means, it's clearly citrus and spice with a sophisticated chypre dry-down. It has a light touch, rather than heavy hand - more in touch with the original Chanel for Men or New York than any of those 80's monsters. I love it.

Basenotes Institution

I'm especially glad to know that it's readily available at Tiffany's because someone just did "Buy it now" on the one I was watching on eBay. It'd actually be the same price as buying it in the store or online so I'm safe.

There's a store near me in Pasadena...I'll be trying it next weekend. Too bad they close at 7pm or I'd be doing it earlier -- in LA traffic there's no way I'd get there from my job by 7pm.
    Please try this, before you buy it.

I wore TFM many years ago, and I will agree with most of the above comments about it's quality, etc. But, it can be a little too much for me and I can't imagine wearing it again.

Having said that, I have a distinct memory of exactly how Tiffany for Men smells. It's probably been more than 15-20 years since I've smelled it, but I can actually conjure in my mind the smell. I guess this means it made quite an impression on me and that there are few scents out in the market that are like TFM. Which is a compliment, I guess.

We had our annual budget presentation to the bosses today.
    Boardroom, suits, ties, cufflinks, the whole shebang.
    I wore my Tiffany for Men. It was perfectly at home.

Tiffany for men last a long time - its not an over the top scent like Joop - but it will give sillage for over 8 hours.

Well I feel like the weekend will never come. I'm so curious to know what I can expect. Does it smell similar to anything in my wardrobe or anything I might recognize?

I found a mall seller who had a 1.7oz bottle. I really wanted to smell it but he said it was sealed. He also wanted $75 for it, which is $25 profit for him. Good for him...bad for me.

Saturday is the day I'm heading to Tiffany's....my birthday at that. I hope it's a present I can buy myself.

Lovely chypre -- easily one of Polge's best. A very formal fragrance, though -- don't go in expecting something to wear with jeans.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Well I feel like the weekend will never come. I'm so curious to know what I can expect. Does it smell similar to anything in my wardrobe or anything I might recognize?
    You do not have anything in your wardrobe that comes close.
    As far as what clothing is required for wearing this beauty, I wear jeans almost everyday, sometimes with a black suit jacket and dress shoes and sometimes with a t-shirt and trainers - so am I disqualified from wearing TfM?
    I find wearing the "wrong" fragrance for the "right" occasion brings me more pleasure than following any sartorial rules. I like to please myself, getting compliments makes me ill at ease.

I was very dissapointet with Tiffany scents (for women and for men). Artificial luxury.
    I had big samples, but the same day gave them away to my father.
    I do not like Pour Monsieur Concentree, I do not like Tiffany for Men
    Last edited by DreamerII; 5th December 2007 at 04:57 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Tiffany for Men is my hands down, all time favorite chypre and one hell of a masterpiece. Pour Monseiur is more beautiful in construction but because PM is so short-lived on my skin, I prefer Tiffany for Men over Pour Monsieur.

I have a 1.7 oz bottle of the concentree version of TFM that I believe I picked up on eBay a while back. It is definitely stronger and longer lasting than the regular EDT. I wish they still made this version. One spritz lasts me all day.

I recently received a bottle of TfM as a gift. Having sampled it before in a Tiffany shop, I thought that it wasn't necessarily my cup of tea as I'm not normally an "Oriental" kind of guy, but this one does work for me. It's elegant. I compared it with Pasha de Cartier, as I noted some "fourth-dimensional" similarities going on, and, and lo and behold, they do share oakmoss, sandalwood and patchouli basenotes. The ladies seem to love it (probably more than I do), and the sillage and longevity are massive - it's still there a day later. The only other scent in my collection that lasts as long (longer, actually) is Platinum Egoiste. I just have to wait for the rare cool day in South Florida or a trip to more northerly latitudes to wear it.

My co-worker just surprised me and brought me a sample bottle of TFM. LOVE IT. This scent is right up my alley. Classy, powdery, a little soapy.....WOW. I'm definitely going to buy a bottle of it this weekend.

Interestingly enough, it reminds me of my current favorite Royal Briar. TFM is much stronger though and will probably last longer from what I can tell.

Did I mention that I love this???

I just bought 2 bottles blind and I like it but I just don't love it. The drydown is great but the top is just a bit too powdery and feminine. This one could have been perfection but in my eyes it just missed. I need it a bit more masculine.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Very, very good longevity -- think Patou pour Homme and Van Cleef & Arpels.
    Btw, am getting ready to post a bottle of Tiffany for Men for sale or swap soon.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 31st December 2007 at 02:26 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I received a bottle of Tiffany for Men for Christmas. It's so comparable to Chanel Pour Monsieur. CPM used to be my signature scent way back in the day and I have to say I like Tiffany for Men better. It lasts longer, too. Enjoy.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The