Code of Conduct

Default JC Ellena speaks again

Everywhere you look, there's that man Ellena.

I didn't know he was God....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/glo...cle3080072.ece
    Last edited by zztopp; 29th December 2007 at 08:15 PM.
    -

Default Re: JC Ellena speaks again

A nice placement for Hermes, which confirms the WSJ article's argument that companies are seeking to re-emphasize their high-end status. As the most celeb nose, Ellena is a pretty valuable PR asset, perfumer's talents aside.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Everywhere you look, there's that man Ellena.

I didn't know he was God....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/glo...cle3080072.ece
    JC Ellena is God zztopp.

Thanks for the article F.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th December 2007 at 12:45 AM.

Ellena is a clever man. He does understand that the golden times of heavy scents have passed. He creates very original airy, fresh, vivid, poetic, non-suffocating scents.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    JC Ellena is God zztopp.

Ha!

He's becoming somewhat of a media whore, thats for sure. And the David Copperfield-like hand waving perfume note magic with minimalist scent strips that start off almost every article...whatever happened to the Ellena who used to shy away from the media? Or was that an illusion?

Still, Ellena's hype is more interesting to read than Laurice Rahme's plans for world domination ..
    -

Ellena is IMO the finest nose around! Let him have a little face time with the media ~ and flaunt his talents a bit ~ he's certainly earned it!

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Ellena is IMO the finest nose around! Let him have a little face time with the media ~ and flaunt his talents a bit ~ he's certainly earned it!

He is one of the finest noses. I just wish he would do more extreme versions or concentree like Bigarade Concentree which is my personal summer favorite. I can't get any of his others to last more than 5 minutes. Are you out there Mr. Ellena. Some of us need more strength and lasting power. Regular Bigarade lasts 5 minutes and Bigarade Concentree lasts 8 hours. My skin type soaks up scents like a sponge. The owner of the perfume shop in Seattle was spraying Lalique Encre Noire on me and said, "Your skin just ate that up, let's try something else" Jean Claude creates wonderful scents that are sadly too timid. Kick it up a couple of notches and I'll be purchasing more Jean Claude creations.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    He is one of the finest noses. I just wish he would do more extreme versions or concentree like Bigarade Concentree which is my personal summer favorite. I can't get any of his others to last more than 5 minutes. Are you out there Mr. Ellena. Some of us need more strength and lasting power. Regular Bigarade lasts 5 minutes and Bigarade Concentree lasts 8 hours. My skin type soaks up scents like a sponge. The owner of the perfume shop in Seattle was spraying Lalique Encre Noire on me and said, "Your skin just ate that up, let's try something else" Jean Claude creates wonderful scents that are sadly too timid. Kick it up a couple of notches and I'll be purchasing more Jean Claude creations.
    Yes, he's brilliant, and his minimalist philosophy is in tune with the last decade's fragrance trend. But I wish he would not limit himself in this way. He's proven he's the undisputed master of string quartetts. When comes the symphony?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Yes, he's brilliant, and his minimalist philosophy is in tune with the last decade's fragrance trend. But I wish he would not limit himself in this way. He's proven he's the undisputed master of string quartetts. When comes the symphony?
    Couldn't have said it better. the_good_life hits the nail on the head.

he is my god
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Wow - love the 'string quartet'/symphony comment ~ SO ACCURATE!!!!

Blog Entries

I would rather read about "a nose" discussing his creations - than read the slew of hacks churning out puffery for celeb fumes.

Thanks for the link. One of my New Years resolutions is to continue to explore his "haikus".
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

A symphony was composed - it was First (original formula). He just doesn't seem currently interested in creating anything of that caliber.

His quartets are lovely, but also politically correct and contrived, with no room for originality or movement.

I very much like Cologne Bigarade and Amouage Dia (did he do the men's version of that? It doesn't smell like one of his, probably why I like it.) I also quite like Declaration, but not enough to own or wear it.

All the others I find completely underwhelming, in fact, I don't like most of his work. I have tried but find that there is an incessant plasticy note which I find objectionable and he seems to be able to twist the most natural accords into something synthetic smelling. I'm not one to frequently say something like this but I honestly think those jardin scents are just poor.

I am not really clear why there is such a cult of personality around this man.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 3rd January 2008 at 06:59 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Sad but true: I can't stand any of his creations on me.
    He may be god, but I'm happy there are others out there, too. ;-)