Code of Conduct

Cool Just purchased some Hanae Mori EDT

I remember when I was at Nordstrom's a few months back the salesperson gave me a small sample of HM Eau De Toilette.

I feel in love with it so today with a Christmas gift card I bought some! At age 24 I've entered the world of fragrances and I do like it a lot. Time to knock out some women

A few questions? How do you apply the cologne on you? I know the EDT is generally a weaker fragrance compared to the EDC but I did want something subtle to compliment my natural scent. Also how do you all generally pick up fragrances? I bought this one semi blind. Thanks!
    Last edited by sword-; 29th December 2007 at 09:24 PM.

Default Re: Just purchased some Hanae Mori EDT

Don't be surprised if some of the women want to wear it themselves.
    Current Wardrobe: Terre d'Hermes (duh), Guerlain Vetiver, Bvlgari Aqua, Bvlgari Pour Homme, Mugler Cologne, Rochas Man, Green Irish Tweed

Quote Originally Posted by sword- View Post
    I remember when I was at Nordstrom's a few months back the salesperson gave me a small sample of HM Eau De Toilette.

I feel in love with it so today with a Christmas gift card I bought some! At age 24 I've entered the world of fragrances and I do like it a lot. Time to knock out some women

A few questions? How do you apply the cologne on you? I know the EDT is generally a weaker fragrance compared to the EDC but I did want something subtle to compliment my natural scent. Also how do you all generally pick up fragrances? I bought this one semi blind. Thanks!
    First of all, Welcome to Basenotes!

Actually, an EdT is generally stronger than an EdC.

In turn, EdPs are stronger than EdTs.

HM is a good choice if you like gourmand-type scents. Gourmands aren't my favorite category, but I like HM a lot better than A*Men
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 29th December 2007 at 11:34 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Thanks again guys!

Does anyone here have answers to my initial questions?
    Last edited by sword-; 31st December 2007 at 09:30 AM.

As far as how to apply the fragrances, everybody has different opinions....it depends on how well you wear a fragrance.....here is a link to a rather lengthy discussion on this though:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=202748

As far as how to buy, you have a couple of options...you can buy decants or samples before you buy full bottles of a fragrance. You can go to stores and test them there but a warning...spray them on yourself and walk around for a while before deciding...the smell will change as you wear it.

Hope this helps.

I bought Hanae Mori Blue Butterfly for my daughter for Christmas (a blind buy) and it has become her HG. She adores it!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I have Hanae Mori and I love it

My first cologne purchase in 20 years was last Christmas, and it was HM EDT. It was sweet (less so than the EDP, which does smell different and has a chocolate-cherry flavor), and it has a nice fresh citrusy smell which my wife liked a lot, with a vanilla finish ... a very modern fragrance. Since then I have gotten Guerlain Vetiver, L'Instant, Terre D'Hermes, Chanel Pour Homme and Creed Himalaya, so this can be an expensive (but fun) habit.

As to application, that's really a personal preference. You want to go easy as your nose will get used to the smell and you will then think you do not have a lot on when in fact you do. You dont want to be intrusive. One mistake a lot of newbies make is, after they apply the juice for a few days, their nose is less sensitive and they think they haven't applied enough, so they spray more and stink out their family and friends. I personally spray two half sprays on either side of my neck and one half spray on each wrist. The HM atomizer, or at least the one on my bottle, seems to kick out a lot of juice. To me, the trick is to have enough on so that someone notices when they are around you for a while but not so much as it is immediately noticeable. For that reason, it is better to apply a little every so often. Since I can only apply it on the way to work in the morning for the entire day, I will put a little more on in the morning. I hope that makes sense. You can use a little more in the evening when you are in a social setting. I think there's a lot of good advice on websites like men.com and gq.com on applying cologne.

I would not recommend buying blind until you are better at identifying what you like and what you dont like. Spend some time at Nordstroms and Macy's, for instance, spray some samples on cards and then read about them on Basenotes (especially when the review database is back online). Then go to a Neiman Marcus, for instance, and try out the Creeds (unless Nordstrom carries those in your area), but take it slow. I have learned that many fragrances are an "acquired taste." This board can be very helpful, but there's no substitute for doing your homework.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    Last edited by RichmondR; 8th January 2008 at 02:05 AM. Reason: typo

I tried a sample of HM for a little bit, and got a couple compliments on it, but it doesnt really fit me.

I usually put 1 spray on the chest, and 1/2 spray in the crook of each elbow. Ive read that putting it behind the ears can interfere with natural pheromones, but I dont know how accurate that is.
    Last edited by mtguy8787; 8th January 2008 at 01:36 AM.

I've done a complete 180 on this frag. (Read my old review to see what I first thought of it.) Don't know what I was thinking at the time I wrote that -- I may have just been grumpy that day, else unduly prejudiced against all gourmands. (Not too out of bounds given my checkered past with gourmands in general.)

I'm really considering a purchase of Hanae Mori now; will probably go with the edp.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 8th January 2008 at 12:39 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I too brought Hanae Mori after Christmas at Nordstroms. I love this scent. What I do is apply some un scented lotion (I use palmers), and after thats dry, I apply alittle of the hanae mori after shave lotion to select spots on my body( The nice lady at Nordstroms gave me some samples). Then I spray the cologne to those same places. generally two sprays to the neck, two sprays to the pecks (one to each), and then one to the belly button. I also wear unscented deodorant and spray once to each armpit after applying deodorant. This is my technique with HM, you may need more or less depending on your body.

Hanae Mori is 1 of thee best scents out there! u cant go wrong with this beauty! its sophisticated & somewhat business wear. or would make 4 that perfect romantic evening. nothing but compliments from this 1!
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

Wink Re: Just purchased some Hanae Mori EDT

I got a sample from this fragrance once and liked it a lot. But as I live in Brazil and it's very hard to find Hanae Mori products here, I haven't had the chance to buy it yet. Maybe I'll do it someday.