Code of Conduct

Default suggestions for warm woody frag

Im 27yr male and just starting out in the world of fragrances and ive got a fairly bad habit of buying ones i later dont like but after a lot of sniffing around duty free airport shops, i finally decided that YSL M7 was my favourite. I really get a warm cosy old english hunting pub feeling. (probably just me!) Its the scent that really sparked of my interest.

But i carnt help feeling i smell a bit like a welsh mountain craft/tourist shop especially when its layered over the sandlewood soap i recently got, when really i was after something a bit more sexy. any good (no niche) ideas ?

thanks!

Default Re: suggestions for warm woody frag

No idea but looking forward to replies on that. Sounds good.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Basenotes Institution

Gucci Pour Homme by Gucci (the original, brown liquid, not Gucci Pour Homme II)

This scent was developed by Tom Ford during his tenure at Gucci (just like M7 when he was at Y.S.L.). I think this is what you're looking for.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th December 2007 at 02:41 AM.

Sounds promising, i didn't realise Tom Ford was responsible for my M7. Tempted to go look for Gucci Pour Homme today, only the post Christmas sales are carnage!

Thanks!

Serge Lutens does a lot of warm woody fragrances - where are you based? A lot of the big London stores stock his scents (Selfridges, Liberty, Harrods, Harvey Nicks, Fenwick etc) and you can also try them at the Trafford Centre in Manchester (and I'd imagine Havey Nicks in Leeds) if you're up north.

Try Santal Blanc, Cedre, Chene, Rousse...you could also try Miel de Bois although it's very sweet so may be a bit much (it's a real love or hate scent). Un Bois Vanille is also nice but you might find the vanilla a bit feminine.

Just had a look round the internet on Serge Lutens, sounds really interesting. I'm in Cheshire not far from the Trafford centre, but a London day trip might be in order!

My suggestion is to find a Miller Harris retailer and try Terre de Bois, which happens to be my SOTD today. This is an excellent, warm woodsy scent without being overly sweet. There is also some vetiver in Terre de Bois. Good luck, and please share your impressions with us after you've tried a few things.

Off-Scenter

Warm, woody, and non-niche? How about Armani Code, Zino Davidoff, and espescially Basala. If you can take a little sweetness or vanilla in the mix, you might also try Heritage, Egoiste, and Jaipur Homme (EdT).

Perhaps Fresh by Dunhill

Basala by Shiseido is an awesome one. its as woodsy/spicy as it gets. Gucci Pour homme has one of sexiest opening notes but the dry down is too cottony and very much like dior homme if you know wht i mean.

and...if it's pure "wood" that you are lookign for and nothing else comes close to Lalique - Le Faune. it amazed me to the extent i could for the first time "feel" wood.

Out of my wardrobe and seconding the boys above BASALA !! ooh yehh !!

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I quite like CK Truth men, as well as Bvlgari Black.

Ive now had a chance to try most of these and ended up with Basala, gucci pour homme i liked a lot at first, infact it was perfect but it seems to dissapear on me.
    I even found serge lutens which smelt amazing but where a bit too unisex for me. im still looking out for the miller harris, but i found a retailer of creed and broke my budget on a bottle of BdP so il have to wait a bit before i go out on another shopping spree!

Thanks for the suggestions

One of the primary reasons I like Creed Himalaya over some of the better known Creeds (Silver Mountain Water, Imperial Millesime, and Green Irish Tweed, for instance) is its warmth. That kicks the price point up a notch or two, but I guess my point is that if you start sampling Creeds don't forget Himalaya as it may meet your criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by hp123 View Post
    I quite like CK Truth men, as well as Bvlgari Black.
    Welcome to Basenotes

I don't know about CK Truth, but there hasn't been any wood near Bvlgari Black for over a mile.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!