Code of Conduct

Red face Bvlgari Rose help

I really adore Bvlgari Rose Essentielle, but I know I've heard a few people complain about the lack of staying power it has so I was wondering if anyone had any tips (aside from reapplying every 4 hours, of course).

-Can anyone suggest some scents to layer/complement with?
    -Application tips?
    -Other scent suggestions? I love the modern, feminine sweetness of BRE, in particular.

Also: I heard the current BRE is a recent change? When was it updated? And how did the old one compare?

I appreciate the help in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bvlgari Rose help

Don't know about a recent tweak, but here are a few things to help scent last longer:

-Exfoliate your skin properly
    -Moisturize: even with fragrance free lotion

For scented lotions or oils, you could grab a nice Arabian Rose perfume oil at the health food store, or some Rose essential oil, add a few drops to a frag free carrier oil.
    That also works short time with lotion but be careful to use it fast because adding any kind of oil to a lotion can render it unstable.
    Or a cheapo rose lotion from the drugstore: those are usually straightforward, without too many notes which could clash with your fragrance.

My favorite (uber dry skin, here) is Bulgarian Rose absolute in cold pressed jojoba oil.
    Jojoba oil is great because although called OIL, it is actually a liquid wax (by molecular composition) and is closest to the texture of human sebum.
    So it melts and sinks in easily (esp. when applied on dripping wet skin post shower then pat dry) leaves no residue, causes no breakouts and helps bond your fragrance to your own natural skin scent.

Aur Cacia makes a very good jojoba oil.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Rose Essentielle and initially felt it had no staying power. I decided that I loved it enough to reapply frequently but found if my skin is properly hydrated and I spray it on my chest and the back of my neck I can smell it for a good 6 hours.

another tip, if the above doesn't work, is to apply a very thin layer of unscented petroleum jelly (vaseline - except I believe all variants of the "Vaseline brand" are scented) to the skin before applying the scent. This will greatly increase the longevity and significantly slow the evolution process of any scent.

A BN poster (was it Moondeva?) once advised the use of Weleda Wild Rose Body Oil. I was disappointed at first, as I found it too fishy as some rose lotions and oils can be. I persevered, however, and now I like it a lot. I don't use it exclusively, though. I also use grape oil from Boots' Botanics range, and my favourite base for rose perfumes is Annick Goutal's Creme Splendide Body Cream. It smells gorgeous to my nose, and it also leaves the skin feeling very soft. I keep a pot of it in my office to use as hand cream when I need a fix of that smell. The drawback is that it is expensive. The Weleda is cheaper but not cheap enough for a bottle of oil. The grape oil is cheap and cheerful and does the job.
    Last edited by Sestra; 30th December 2007 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You know what?
    Some Bulgari scents do not stay on my skin, but they last all day on my clothes.
    Go figure. Try that.
    And they stay "true" longer on my clothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    A BN poster (was it Moondeva?) once advised the use of Weleda Wild Rose Body Oil. I was disappointed at first, as I found it too fishy as some rose lotions and oils can be. I persevered, however, and now I like it a lot. I don't use it exclusively, though. I also use grape oil from Boots' Botanics range, and my favourite base for rose perfumes is Annick Goutal's Creme Splendide Body Cream. It smells gorgeous to my nose, and it also leaves the skin feeling very soft. I keep a pot of it in my office to use as hand cream when I need a fix of that smell. The drawback is that it is expensive. The Weleda is cheaper but not cheap enough for a bottle of oil. The grape oil is cheap and cheerful and does the job.
    I second the Creme Splendide, it's totally swoon worthy. It's only the only Goutal product that smells right on me, her frags don't agree with me but this stuff is incredible.

I also forgot to mention Dr. Haushka's Rose body oil. A purist rose, kinda salty, the oil texture is thicker than Weleda.

I love Bvlgari Rose Essentielle! Though I usually prefer full-bodied orientals, greens and florientals, the crystalline delicacy of this scent won me over.

I've never had trouble with it lasting - I apply to my cleavage where natural oils abound and a lot of heat is generated. It lasts 8 hours or more this way. If you have dry skin I'd try a light layer of jojoba oil applied right after bathing, then wait 30 minutes or so before applying scent so your skin cools down a bit and replenishes some its own oils. Another nice warm application point is under your hairline, at the nape.

I hadn't heard anything about it being reformulated - can you recall where you heard that? I find release dates of 2005 (Perfumemart) and 2006 (Osmoz) for it - seems rather soon to be reformulating, doesn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

I put on BRE *spritzed to clothing* as well as wrists today at 1:30, as I left the house to pay visits. Probably six spritzes, and if I raise my shirt hem to my nose I can smell it still. My wrists and the inside elbows have long since burned it off. I wear it a lot, and I agree the key is exfoliate, apply fragrance free after bath oil, and apply just as much to clothing as skin. I've never found anything scented to layer it with that didn't distort it's well balanced delicacy.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Thank you for the wonderful tips!