Code of Conduct

Unhappy I used to love you PIPER NIGRUM, but now you make me sick!!

I remember trying Piper Nigrum for the first time from a sample, after reading many reviews here. It took me some time, but I finally came around to the complete weirdness of it.. and grew to love it so much until I felt like I couldn't live without it. Later, I finally bought a bottle. I remember waiting for what seemed like forever for it to get to my house. When it did, I tore open the box, held it's hexagonal shaped frosted glass bottle in my hand, removed the cap and sprayed it onto my hand... my eyes closed... I inhaled deeply, and let out a pleasurable sigh. Already, I was thinking about my next possible Villoresi creation I had to have. I've worn it a few times since then. Each time, receiving awesome complements and just being really happy for making the investment.

Piper Nigrum was my SOTD for Christmas Eve. I don't know what happened, but seemingly out of nowhere, my body decided it REALLY doesn't like it at all.. which is so strange, because I actually LOVE the stuff. All througout the day, I kept feeling like I was going to be sick. By nightfall, I gradually began to feel worse and worse. I began to review what I had eaten and drank that day and the night before. I felt so terrible, I cancelled my dinner plans with my friends that night just so that I could try to "sleep it off" for a few hours. The whole while, it never dawned on me that it was my SOTD that was actually making me sick. After waking up.. my stomach felt REALLY bad. Every time I moved, the smell of Piper Nigrum emanated from my chest and from my shirt cuffs and made me completely nauseous. I ran for the toilet. After calling "Earl" for about five minutes, I tried to get rid of any trace of Piper Nigrum on my body. I used my exfoliating gloves and scrubbed the hell out of my skin with my Eau de Campagne shower gel.

I hoped that I would feel okay to attend the huge Midnight Mass service my neighbor invited me to. She's been trying to get me to go with her for about three years. I usually decline... and give her some sort of lame excuse joking about my possibly being the only African American there and how awkward it would be for me to attend a Roman Catholic Mass due to my Pentecostal/Protestant upbringing (even though I hardly ever go to church). She knows I'm a musician and that I've recently grown quite fond of classical liturgical choral works, so she insisted I should go just to hear the choir and the music. I gave her my word that I would go. Even though I wasn't feeling good at all, I honored my word and I went. Everything was profoundly beautiful... until the priests came around with the smoking censers (ummm... this did NOT smell like Avignon, folks!!) The smoke.. and what seemed to smell like burning Barbie dolls made my head spin. I felt a really strong dry-heave coming...and then another... I almost tripped over the wooden pew kneelers trying to get past the people on my row in order to get to the nearest aisle and try to make the long sprint to the men's room...
    I'll stop there.

So umm... yeah. If I so much as smell the faintest trace of Piper Nigrum now, my stomach turns. I literally start to get sick.
    Anyone else experience anything like this?
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 30th December 2007 at 06:49 AM.

Default Re: I used to love you PIPER NIGRUM, but now you make me sick!!

Yep, and now here comes the hard part. You have to get back up on that horse! I have been sick before and living in a third world country you catch very strange things here (typhoid, salmonella, amoebas) anyway, the last time I got sick was with salmonella and was wearing PG Querelle. It came on slowly during the day and before I knew it, I was really sick. At one point I passed out and hit my head on the wall in the bathroom. Needless to say, I woke up on the floor (graphic part omitted) and could barely crawl back to bed. The whole time I could smell puke and Querelle! I had to give the bottle away. Of course now I wish I hadn't. I should have gotten back on the horse and worn it again. I used to love it. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    The whole while, it never dawned on me that it was my SOTD that was actually making me sick.
    I seriously doubt that it was the fragrance making you this sick. More likely you had a viral gastro, and the hightened sense of smell just made the fragrance more noticeable, exacerbating the underlying condition.

That said, you are right that it may be difficult to go back to the PN. Fragrance is so closely related to memory via the amygdala that when next you try it, it may take you right back to that sick feeling. That does not mean that the fragrance caused the sickness, just that it is intimately related to the memories. This is common in other illnesses, chemotherapy, etc as well as bad memories in general (bad relationships, depressive episodes etc etc)

I'd put it away for a few months, then bring it out and try it again, maybe in time for Spring?

Sorry to hear you missed out on Midnight Mass - for me it is always such a special time

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quixotiq,

What you described in your post seems to be more akin to food poisoning, or an allergic reaction.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    Yep, and now here comes the hard part. You have to get back up on that horse! I have been sick before and living in a third world country you catch very strange things here (typhoid, salmonella, amoebas) anyway, the last time I got sick was with salmonella and was wearing PG Querelle. It came on slowly during the day and before I knew it, I was really sick. At one point I passed out and hit my head on the wall in the bathroom. Needless to say, I woke up on the floor (graphic part omitted) and could barely crawl back to bed. The whole time I could smell puke and Querelle! I had to give the bottle away. Of course now I wish I hadn't. I should have gotten back on the horse and worn it again. I used to love it. What a shame.
    So get back in the saddle, eh?
    Your experience reminds me alot of mine... minus the passing out part. Puke and Piper Nigrum!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I seriously doubt that it was the fragrance making you this sick. More likely you had a viral gastro, and the hightened sense of smell just made the fragrance more noticeable, exacerbating the underlying condition.

That said, you are right that it may be difficult to go back to the PN. Fragrance is so closely related to memory via the amygdala that when next you try it, it may take you right back to that sick feeling. That does not mean that the fragrance caused the sickness, just that it is intimately related to the memories. This is common in other illnesses, chemotherapy, etc as well as bad memories in general (bad relationships, depressive episodes etc etc)

I'd put it away for a few months, then bring it out and try it again, maybe in time for Spring?

Sorry to hear you missed out on Midnight Mass - for me it is always such a special time

Ged
    Ok. I'll try waiting a few months.
    I honestly can't think of anything the might've made me that sick... I woke up feeling great. I sprayed myself with PN around noon. From then on, I wasn't feeling to well.
    BTW.. I made it to Midnight Mass. I started to feel sick again and had to leave early.
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 30th December 2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quixotiq,

Great story. You write extremely well.

That sort of stuff happens with the olfactory system. You'll like Piper Nigrum again. Generally speaking, my love of certain fragrances fluctuates within various extremes all the time. Just stash the Piper Nigrum, think about other things you like, and wear it later when the desire comes back.

I had a similar story, with Kouros. The first time wearing it a full day I fell in a serious illness, stomach turning like hell, high fever, etc. After that for about 15 years I couldn't even see the Kouros bottle. But I never thought that it was the controversial scent which caused my terrible state, though

Sounds like you got really sick and I think Ged described the condition perfectly. The accompanying nausea blows things way out of proportion. Give the Piper a rest, but if and when you use it again, the night in question returns vividly to mind, you may just have to retire the Piper.

Watch out for the mayo and shellfish around the holidays. It's happened to me too many times.

"Calling Earl" lol
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 30th December 2007 at 01:42 PM.