Code of Conduct

Question Sillage problems with Rive Gauche?

I used to dislike Rive Gauche for a long time, now after retesting it, i finally realized that it's a great and functionalist fragrance (This took really long enough). Now after joining the RG club, i ask myself, does this fragrance produce any sillage at all or is it just me, who doesn't notice it after a while because my nose gets used to it quickly? I use about 4 sprays and after half an hour i can't smell anything, except very very close to the skin, where it lasts quite long though.

Have you got the same experiences with RG and what would you do to improve it (instead of spraying even more) ?

Default Re: Sillage problems with Rive Gauche?

I'm guessing it's just olfactory fatigue, I don't think RG has any sillage problems whatsoever.

Are there really frags that cause olfactory fatigue faster than others, perhaps because of their "simplicity"?

Post Thanks / Like

I get a whiff of it all day whenever I wear this scent. And I normally use only 3 sprays.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

So the question is...where do you apply it? My suggestions would be to spray on your wrists or inside arm near your elbow and how about the tummy area? Problems can occur if you spray too closely to your nose because the scent receptors get full and don't have a chance to recover before getting hit again...and again. Maybe for you, you shouldn't spray on your neck or upper chest with RG. Try this and see if it helps.

I had the same problem, i found that it didn't last more than an hour on my skin. three days after purchasing this scent i couldn't get myself to like it so i gave it away to one of my employees. in the mornings when he came to work i could smell it on him, an hour or two later when i was in contact with him i could not notice it all. Maybe it just one of those scents that blends well with certain peoples chemistry, for myself it's done nothing. I have had a much more pleasureable experience with M7, two sprays and i can still smell it on myself 15-16 hours later. amazing.

People can smell it on me 8 to 10 hours after application.

Wow -- your skin must be like a sponge.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I sometimes use the Intense version of Rive Gauche. No sillage problems so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the original Rive Gauche and it has more sillage than I initially thought. Whenever I wear it on my neck, people complain that my cologne is too strong. I now have to wear it on my chest under my shirt. It lingers throughout the day for me.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by williamsagency View Post
    I sometimes use the Intense version of Rive Gauche. No sillage problems so far.
    BTW, how is it that your join date predates the existence of Basenotes or the internet for that matter? It always catches my attention when you post.
    Last edited by teflondog; 30th December 2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm not sure that you use the word sillage quite correctly. It is not the scent on your skin (or how long it lasts to you), but it is the french term for the trail of a scent left by the perfume. So it is not what the wearer smells, but those around him, even after he has left the room.

You should always ask others you trust about the sillage of a fragrance.

Well, exactly that was my problem, that each chance of smelling a "trail" is gone after about half an hour and i can only smell it directly on the part of the skin where it was sprayed. Guess it's really my skin chemistry, as others i've asked about it couldn't smell it either.

So what is in your opinion the best alternative to Rive Gauche? It should be another fougere scent with that nice and manly barbershop feeling. Thanks for your recommendations Or should i try it with 12 sprays of RG instead?
    Last edited by transmaniacon; 31st December 2007 at 01:16 PM.

If you looking for barbershop, from the new releases i do like Narciso Rodriguez for him, much better than R.G. it makes R.G. seem very dated in comparison.

I also have these Rive Gauche sillage / longevity doubts.

But I think we have olfactive fatigue for this.
    As most people say it projects good.