Code of Conduct

Default Black Aoud & The Compliment Whore

More compliments on Black Aoud last night than on any fragrance I've ever worn out to the clubs.
    Am making my decant last a little, yes, but I MUST possess a bottle of my own now.

I'm an official BA junkie now.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 30th December 2007 at 07:58 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Black Aoud & The Compliment Whore

With the fragrance database being down, what can you tell me about Black Aoud? What are some of the notes, what frag family does it belong to, etc?

Basenotes Institution

What a coincidence Matt.

Last night the boyfriend and I went out dancing to a huge party in Downtown Miami (til the wee hours) and before we left the house he asked me to choose a scent for him that was 'strong and masculine'. I reached right for the Black Aoud decant that rentboy gave me and gave him 3 sprays. Once at the party he received compliments ALL NIGHT! He kept asking me, 'what's the name of this stuff I'm wearing'...so here I am trying to spell out the name Black Aoud on a thundering loud dance floor, it was kind of hilarious.

This juice does get compliments - perhaps because its so pervasive with the sillage, yet it smells like NOTHING anyone else wears when you go out.

On a side note: I smelled Black Orchid on someone last night...it put a smile on my face. It's so nice to encounter great scents like this in a large group of people, as opposed to the obligatory Le Male, Acqua di Gio, Angel, D&G PH, [fill _ in _ the _blank].
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th December 2007 at 08:23 PM.

From the title of the thread I thought you were comparing two fragrances.

I'm still waiting on a sample of Black Aoud from Perfumed Court (I hope it comes tomorrow! ) so it might be my choice of New Year Eve scent instead of my previously proclaimed Costes!

Speaking of compliments - I went to a little dinner party yesterday, and everyone was complimenting so much on the Ambre Sultan I was wearing! The hostess of the party wouldn't let me leave until she knew where to get it (I explained she wouldn't find it at Macy's or Perfumania! )!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    With the fragrance database being down, what can you tell me about Black Aoud? What are some of the notes, what frag family does it belong to, etc?
    Black Aoud includes notes of oudh, rose, leather, and patchouli, and sandalwood. It reads mostly as a dark, dry oudh-rose composition until it dries down (this takes up to 12 hours), when the leather, sandalwood, and patchoui become more obvious. It is extremely potent and highly medicinal when first applied. If Michaal Edwards were to list it, I suspect he would calssify it as a classical or profound woody scent.

Hope that helps.

I shall emigrate to a country where people consider it normal to compliment others on their perfume .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I shall emigrate to a country where people consider it normal to compliment others on their perfume .
    Yes, I've heard that in Teutonic and Nordic countries this is rather rare. Even here in the Upper South/Lower Midwest, it's just now becoming more prevalent. That said, it's still VERY rare for straight guys to ask me or compliment me on a fragrance. It happens, yes, but far less often than with women and fellow gay guys.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

On a side note: I smelled Black Orchid on someone last night...it put a smile on my face. It's so nice to encounter great scents like this in a large group of people, as opposed to the obligatory Le Male, Acqua di Gio, Angel, D&G PH, [fill _ in _ the _blank].
    Indeed! I swear I smelled someone wearing Mare the other night. Awesome.

I have a couple samples of Black Aoud, but I haven't given it a wearing yet. I think I'll have to do that in the near future .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I am lucky if I get a positive echo for fragrance gifts I make occasionally - that's the most I can hope for. So, for 2008 I have resolved: compliment every person that smells the slightest bit perfumed after ten, in the morning. We normally stay at arms lentgh with other men, and it is thus very rare to catch a man's fragrance. Some guys will be shocked, when I start complimenting them. Maybe it will be a new experience for all of us.
    I must remember to wear BA more often. It's kind of a 'sacred water' to me, and I do not go clubbing and dancing at all. I consider it the perfect perfume for a date that matters.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

If you've ever smelled Czech & Speake #88, then you have a broad idea of what Black Aoud smells like. They're in the same ball park IMO, but Black Aoud of course has an additional aoud note.

I've had the same experience (compliment-wise) when I wore it to work the other day!!

It is my choice for a pool party we're going to tonight...hoping to get the same reaction (!)

I got a nice compliment on the Ike Behar tie I'm wearing today. I was in the drive-through line at McDonald's.

Just a black coffee...cutting back after Christmas excesses...

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    I've had the same experience (compliment-wise) when I wore it to work the other day!!

It is my choice for a pool party we're going to tonight...hoping to get the same reaction (!)
    A pool party? A POOL PARTY? I loathe you -- it's a dull, grey winter here in Oklahoma, with tons of limb damage and lost trees after those hellacious ice storms. A freakin' POOL PARTY? Oy gevalt.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 31st December 2007 at 03:16 PM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Plus

Hi guys!
    Whenever I notice a fragrance on a man & he smells wonderful, I always give him a compliment. Some of them look at me rather oddly, but most of them smile. Perhaps it's because it's NYC..not sure about that.
    I firmly believe in giving positive feedback to a gentleman who wears a fragrance that's risky. When are guys going to realize that florals (especially roses) can be amazing on men? Amazing, I tell you!
    I will continue to spread well deserved compliments.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Yes, I've heard that in Teutonic and Nordic countries this is rather rare. Even here in the Upper South/Lower Midwest, it's just now becoming more prevalent. That said, it's still VERY rare for straight guys to ask me or compliment me on a fragrance. It happens, yes, but far less often than with women and fellow gay guys.

'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I LOVE that book!

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I always get the most compliments on Black Aoud whenever I wear it .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I LOVE that book!
    LOL. The cover alone is worth the price.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    If you've ever smelled Czech & Speake #88, then you have a broad idea of what Black Aoud smells like. They're in the same ball park IMO, but Black Aoud of course has an additional aoud note.
    For me (on my skin) this is not the case at all. Black Aoud is very dry and bright compared to C&S 88. There is a sweetness to 88 that is very up front compared to Black Aoud. They have completely different impressions and invoke different feelings completely - again, on me. The Aoud note is so dry and striking that the rose can be lost easily. The dry down is wonderful, but the first hour of Black Aoud is a bit harsh.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

I recently ordered a sample of this along with a few others. Would this scent be considered seasonal or can you wear it all year round?

I'd say year round. It's good for winter as it's heavy but the aoud gives it a cooling effect aswell.

My Black Oud sample was ordered a few days ago from Lucky Scent. It will be interesting to see if I can extract any compliments from my nordic (Norwegian) friends. I will give a report.

If Black Aoud doesn't get you some major compliments, then the Danes are even more reserved than I remember.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I've been complimented by strangers *TWICE*, so I guess it's rare for someone to vocalize their liking of my cologne...

... but I can't tell you how many times girls have eye-fucked me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    I've been complimented by strangers *TWICE*, so I guess it's rare for someone to vocalize their liking of my cologne...

that is enough inspiration to wear 'Black Aoud' whenever the weather permits...i cant wear it when its hot...

gupts

If Black Aoud doesn't get you some major compliments, then the Danes are even more reserved than I remember.

Pssst....You screwed this post up, man : People from Norway aren`t called "Danes", but the ppl from Denmark....

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post

Thats it! this remark has made me go googoo gaga.

I'm going out tomorrow and testing this beast

I wore Black Aoud tonight and my female friend attacked me! Yes, it is that good. I have had other females request that I wear "that stuff from Paris France". Thats what they call it. They ask what I wear, I will say "black aoud", they will say "what?" I will say, "oh, its from paris france". So, that is what they know it to be. lol

becoming boring

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    Pssst....You screwed this post up, man : People from Norway aren`t called "Danes", but the ppl from Denmark....

Oops -- guess I didn't pay attention to the flag in the upper righthand corner. My bad.

So tell us, scentsual -- how HAVE the compliments about Black Aoud been (or not been, as the case may be) in Norway?
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 8th January 2008 at 01:26 PM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Well I'm sold... I got my samples in the mail yesterday and tried it out today. While I wasn't crazy about the opening, the dry down was simply sublime. I put a little on my wrist at 8:00am and it's still going strong at almost 6:00pm, and it smells better than ever....

Got my LuckyScent samples yesterday and dabbed a little on this morning - rather lightly. My partner commented before going to work (in norwegian) "har du perfumert deg?" - which you can probably guess means: "have you 'perfumed' yourself?" But this was in the early opening "blast" - so I quess that doesn't really count. It really settles down nicely and is comfortable to wear. So far, though, no comments from the workplace....

Me likes it! - seems to have a rather avantgard / original - perhaps what they might be referring to as a "dark" and "sensual" feel to it. I was actually catching a lot of rose (and couldn't really recognize any oud). Is there really oud in this or is aoud something else? I have a feeling that this one is going to grow on me - I was just expecting more oud a la M7 Fresh or Tom Ford Oud Wood.

Black aoud is kind of a mess of a scent ...

Guys, do any of you have the Montale direct website, I can't seem to find in through Google. If they don't have a website, do any of you have a number of their Boutique (if there's more than one, English or French speaking in Europe please! )

More compliments on Black Aoud last night than on any fragrance I've ever worn out to the clubs.
    Am making my decant last a little, yes, but I MUST possess a bottle of my own now.

I'm an official BA junkie now.
    Thanks for starting this thread. I tried Black Aoud 2 times in the past and didn't get it. After reading you're thread I decided to order an 8ml decant and spend some time getting to know Black Aoud better. Surprise,Surprise, I got it this time. Finished the 8ml decant and bought a full bottle. Put me on that BA junkie list, please and thank you.

Vivek, here you go. I ran into the same problem. I had to search other perfume sites to find this!

http://www.montaleparfums.com/

Black Aoud is simply fantastic. I rarely reach for it (my wife practically has to make me wear it), but when I do I am oh so happy. And yes, this is one of the few scents that I get complimented on.

BA is one of those scents I can wear and know that I won't run into anyone who smells like me. And that's a good thing.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 20th January 2008 at 03:11 AM.
    You are not your perfume.

Basenotes Institution

Yesterday I was able to get ahold of a small bottle of Black Aoud - which is on it's way to me. Yay!

Since I had been using up my decant of BA slowly I decided to go ahead and feel free to use it up, since my bottles on it's way. I sprayed a couple sprays when I went home for lunch.

When I got back to the office I received two compliments - both from people who NEVER compliment me on my SOTD. Incredible!

I realize I'm preaching to the choir here - but I just had to share yet another story about BA's compliment whoring capabilities. It's like catnip for humans. Meow!!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Yesterday I was able to get ahold of a small bottle of Black Aoud - which is on it's way to me. Yay!

Since I had been using up my decant of BA slowly I decided to go ahead and feel free to use it up, since my bottles on it's way. I sprayed a couple sprays when I went home for lunch.

When I got back to the office I received two compliments - both from people who NEVER compliment me on my SOTD. Incredible!

I realize I'm preaching to the choir here - but I just had to share yet another story about BA's compliment whoring capabilities. It's like catnip for humans. Meow!!
    Hey Mike -- did you happen to snag that lone 20ml bottle from TPC?

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    He beat me to it....... :-)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    He beat me to it....... :-)
    Guilty as charged.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Guilty as charged.
    Damn!

Guilty as charged.
    Just enjoy it in the best of health and all will be forgiven! :-)

It does garner compliments left and right. I'm glad you revived this thread Mike. I am loving BA. It's sort of responsible for my scent revival after being away from BN for a long while.

Eric

WOW! I didn't give this one a fair shake at first, but now I absolutely love it. The first time I tried it, I absolutely hated the opening and was convinced that this wasn't my type of scent. I washed it off and didn't even think about reconsidering.

Just yesterday I saw my sample in a drawer and decided to give it one more shot. I waited for the opening to pass, and oh man, what an amazing dry down! I'm so happy that I didn't toss the sample! I'll be buying a bottle once I get my next paycheck.

I hope that I can pull it off at my age (22).

God..It has been ages since I wore Black Aoud, last.....Notwithstanding what the weather is going to be like tomorrow....I am putting it on tomorrow

i have not noticed this effect from black aoud....i like it enough but it surprises me that other people actually like it because of its medicinal quality...interesting, im going to have to try it next time i go out.

thanks guys!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

ok i am sorry but i have tried this several times and all i get is rose...and i dont see how this is masculine at all

i have tried to love this...i really have becuase of all the great positive reviews ,

i think there is something wrong with my skin chemistry where it really loves to bring out florals way too much

I'm not really adding much to what's been said over the life of the thread, but I completely agree with TVLB - I've never gotten more intense, over-the-top compliment like when I've worn BA. No kidding - shirt grabbing, neck nuzzling compliments. Go Black Aoud!

Talking Re: Black Aoud & The Compliment Whore

I've gotten compliments from straight guys for frags I'm wearing, but they're usually with their girlfriends or they're close friends.

I NEVER give fragrance compliments to fellow straight guys because I'm usually absorbed in my own fragrance, (hehe), and I rarely give compliments to women (if i'm flirting). I do appreciate people who smell good, but usually I never encounter anything that just grabs me by the nose and makes me say "Wow you smell good!"

I'm waiting for the day though...

I never got compliments from Black Aoud or Limes Auod, but have on Red Vetyver.

i am just curious willing to give it another try for those who love it...where and how much do you spray?

i am guessing you do not go more then one spray right?

maybe a half a spray?

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    i am just curious willing to give it another try for those who love it...where and how much do you spray?

i am guessing you do not go more then one spray right?

maybe a half a spray?
    I think one spray on the neck is more than plenty usually.

I just tried this one. It's nice but I think the rose is too much for me. The strength and longevity are pretty outrageous. I sprayed two tiny sprays on from a small decant (one on wrists and one on chest) and I can still smell this on my jacket a week later.

well.. after read all these comments.. i wanna blind buy black oud lol

Based on this thread, I bought a sample of Black Aoud which arrived today. I'm definitely glad I didn't blind buy. Not my cup of tea at all. It smells like Tom Ford's White Patchouli, only ramped up several hundred notches.

Yes I really love black aoud
    but I cannot wear it on college campus
    I am afraid.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Wow, necro-posting! I figure I might chime back in a year later
    I can say, though you guys might think it's coming across super strong, I can wear 4 or so sprays and get huge compliments. It's never felt over the top, and the GF has never said I'm wearing too much. Give it a try. It can only end well
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!