Code of Conduct

Default Your discoveries of 2007 and plans for 2008

This time of a year again. Before we get too tangled up, please let me remind everybody to nominate your favorites in 8th Annual Basenotes Awards. Your voice matters and we have just ONE day left!

My discoveries of the year 2007 were:
    1. Tried 20 Serge Lutens scents thanks to my Basenote friends, especially Lady_in_Black, got only one full bottle of Ambre Sultan.
    2. Got rid of most L'Artisan fragrances I was so charmed with back in 2006 keeping just two I would never want to be without: Orange Blossom (2005) and Timbuktu.
    3. Tested many fragrances I would have never dreamt of in my wildest dreams -- Amouage, Generale, Montale, MPG, I Profumi di Firenzi, Guerlain, many many others, in numbers I would say close to 300.
    4. Ordered 200 1 ml and 200 2 ml dabbers, 100 2 ml sprayers and 100 5 ml sprayers, now down to about 4 empty little vessels altogether. How could I possibly have sent out 600 samples to other people, I do not know!
    5. Opened up my vintage Mitsouko bottle of EdC from the late 1950s, the top notes are gone, but in general it is very very nice!
    6. Got my active wardrobe down to about 70 bottles (from over 100) and plan to get rid of about 30 more.
    7. Met many new kindred spirits, thanks gang!

Plans:
    1. Never buy another bottle blind because it is on sale or discontinued or rare (probably never gonna happen though)!
    2. Place only two big orders a year with Imagination Perfumery, one in May and another in November. Minimize trips to Marshall's and TJMaxx to necessities, not to expand horizons.
    2. Test everything I got samples of properly, giving them time to blossom. Order a couple of ammunition boxes to store samples in.
    3. Get them "Teasers" revived, continue playing Blind Sniff, and in general, continue being a fragrance missionary.

What are yours?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Your discoveries of 2007 and plans for 2008

Hi Twolf, I like your plans

My biggest discoveries this year were:
    Joining basenotes and finding a wonderful community of like-minded perfume nuts

Getting a better idea about why I love Guerlain's, Caron's and Patou's - and expanding my collection of their scents. Never thought about "notes" in perfumes before. Just bought what I spritzed on in dept. stores and liked.

The idea of ordering samples.
    An introduction to non-department store fragrances:
    Serge Lutens Datura Noir - which I didn't like at first - but after revisit fell in love with and got full-bottle
    MPG Bahiana, Fleur de Comores & Rose Muskissime

Don't know if this counts as not Dept. Store but I fell madly in love with:
    Hermes - Un Jardin Sur Le Nil & Hermès Un Jardin en Méditerranée

Finding Madini oils for DH (thanks to BN)

For the New Year:
    The reviews that have tantalized me the most for things as yet unsniffed have been for Parfums DelRae - am waiting for my samples to arrive. I have budgeted for one - so the question is which one it will be - the frontrunners are Bois de Paradis and Amoureuse from the descriptions. I am happy that I have not just jumped in and bought blind. Have my fingers crossed that I will hold off and only buy when there is a discount from one of the online vendors that carries this line.

Am planning to spend some time in the year at the nearby alchemist's workshop of a dear friends husband who is a natural perfumer. He is going to help me train my nose to various notes and elements of perfumery.

Infecting my friends with this new obsession - have already started by giving gifts of new scents and having sniffing sessions when folks come to visit. Some have caught the bug - my sister especially - others probably just think I'm eccentric
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    3. Tested many fragrances I would have never dreamt of in my wildest dreams -- Amouage, Generale, Montale, MPG, I Profumi di Firenzi, Guerlain, many many others, in numbers I would say close to 300.
    4. Ordered 200 1 ml and 200 2 ml dabbers, 100 2 ml sprayers and 100 5 ml sprayers, now down to about 4 empty little vessels altogether. How could I possibly have sent out 600 samples to other people, I do not know! .....

Plans:
    1. Never buy another bottle blind because it is on sale or discontinued or rare (probably never gonna happen though)!
    2. Place only two big orders a year with Imagination Perfumery, one in May and another in November. Minimize trips to Marshall's and TJMaxx to necessities, not to expand horizons.
    2. Test everything I got samples of properly, giving them time to blossom.......

What are yours?
    SHEESH.

My plan is to go back to bed. (I think you sent most of those samples and bottles to ME!! One of the reasons why you are my hero.)

No. Seriously. I'm paring down too - giving away fumes that haven't been on my body for a year or that I've got more than one of. Have settled on a few "necessities" in a few categories (oranges - Elixir de Merveilles: figs - got three that are musts and going for four: ambers and orientals: maybe gardenia and jasmine.....)

My MO in almost everything is to throw myself headlong into it and then let everything settle of its own accord. Not a Gemini/Snake for nothing.

Will be most interested to see what everyone else's take is on this....

Let's hear it for our Fearless Leader!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

In the last year (joined BN's in 2007) I've discovered:
    - There is life beyond department store "offerings".
    - There is also life beyond "orientals" and spice although still much loved!
    - There are other people out there as crazy as I am. Yay!!
    - You don't have to be musically inclined to understand notes.
    - And best of all, virtual strangers can become beloved friends without ever meeting! How awsome is that?

For 2008'
    I really just want to Pare down my full bttl. list which has grown into a frightening 31! I will re-test several frags and choose only the ones I really can't live without. Hopefully I can cut the list by 3/4 and then purchase decants of the rest! I'll start with the AL's. They're easy, I can't get them anymore!
    Last edited by spicegirl; 31st December 2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: missing words
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

In 2007 discovered a signature scent in Fracas. I love it because it can fit either of my frag moods; I want to wear something light and pretty (a few dabs of the roller ball bottle) or I want to wear something obnoxiously floral (just spray it on). I never thought I was a tuberose person but this wears as "tropical" on me, and clean/soapy in the drydown. It just fits me so well. I love it. So for 2008 I guess I'll keep wearing it! Happy New Year everyone!

Fun topic! Makes me think.

Discoveries: I have discovered that I am drawn most to the Chypres, with a few Orientals thrown in.

After several rounds of sampling, I have discovered I am drawn more to the classics as opposed to the newer designer offerings or the niches. Sampling something I have smelled in the past triggers scent memories and awakens my brain in curious ways. I'm not going to be rigid about it however, you never know when you'll run across a new classic, and it is hard to resist some of the delicious scent descriptions on the forum and in the directory!

I discovered the link to the H&R Fragrance Genealogy chart (about 1/4 of the way down the page, right hand side) and found my road map. A terrific guide to explore the classics by category.

Plans: Continue to systematically explore the classics using the genealogy chart. I have made a lot of progress in the Chypre-Fruit and the Chypre-Animalic categories, and I have begun on the Chypre-Fresh. I'm curious about the Chypre-Green category too.

Try to resist blind buys. I have been lucky so far and have loved everything I bought blind, but that luck can't last forever.

Get some decanting supplies and learn how to decant so I can trade samples.

My discoveries: Michael Storer's scents
    Ava Luxe
    Many wonderful websites devoted to fragrance
    That I am in good company, the best company, in my passion for fragrance.

My plans: To be less impulsive in my buys
    To be more forward looking and stop pining for the ghosts of perfumes past.

I'm joining in on the lady's discussions yet again (always more interesting).

My positive discoveries:

1. Ordered samples of all the Serge Lutens non-exports. Finally realized what all the fuss was about, and more importantly, realized that all the good ones are kept for the Paris store. Even more importantly, discovered Iris Silver Mist...the most beautiful, breath taking perfume...which brings me to discovery #2...

2. Iris - how could I have taking you for granted for all these years??? Who knew a root could be so captivating!

3. In my quest for more iris...my discovery of Bois Farine. The only gourmande I will ever love. Also helped rekindle my love of L'Artisan.

4. Meeting several great friends who share my love of perfume...all of whom are generous, knowledgeable and all-around top-notch human beings!

A few negative discoveries:

1. The crap service from Luscious Cargo.

2. Never ending drama on BN, MUA & POL.

3. Disappointing realization of the over-hype that is Ormonde Jayne.

Some general will & won't do's:

1. No more blind-buys (ya right).

2. No more risky purchasing on ebay (ya right).

3. No more drama (ya right).

Since I'm just a newbie I don't have much to write

Having been here all of maybe two weeks I have discovered:
    -top,middle and basenotes
    -there may not be just one scent for me (takes a load of my mind since there are thousands of scents out there and I wouldn't never be able to test them all anyway)
    -I have discovered Givenchy Pi for ME (lol....go figure I search for a "real"(from my perceived notion of real perfume before reading more here at basenotes) and find it in the men's dept. while searching for a new scent for my husband

For 2008:
    -looking forward to my journey of trying new scents in likely and unlikely places.
    Last edited by cailan; 31st December 2007 at 10:33 PM.

I have no plans. I just intend to enjoy my new discoveries, enjoy finding more, and try to wear as many of my loved and adored fragrances as I can throughout the year, and learn as much as I can about individual notes so I can learn what I'm most likely to enjoy and what to avoid. My nose is pretty good at singling out some notes, but not others. Once they get combined, it becomes much harder for me to pick out the lesser known notes. And I've discovered that I've developed some kind of obsession with patchouli. I have a feeling most of my fragrance purchases in '08 will be patchouli based. I can't seem to get enough of it at the moment.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dulci View Post
    I discovered the link to the H&R Fragrance Genealogy chart (about 1/4 of the way down the page, right hand side) and found my road map. A terrific guide to explore the classics by category.
    That's a great link to an interesting chart Dulci - thanks!
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Smile Re: Your discoveries of 2007 and plans for 2008

You are most welcome DeeOlive, so glad I can share something interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulci
    That's a great link to an interesting chart Dulci - thanks!

Wow, you all have given so much thought to this...

Guess in 2007 I found out how VERY PICKY I am regarding fragrance! There are a multitude of frags I really like when sampled, but I usually don't want to wear them on a regular basis...so my simplified wardrobe is:

Lutens - A La Nuit
    Lutens - Un Bois Vanille
    L'Artisan - La Chasse Aux Papillons
    Bulgari - Au The Rouge
    Bond No.9 - Nuits de Noho
    MPG - Fleurs de Comores
    YSL - Paris
    Philosophy - Falling in Love

These select few gems are thoroughly enjoyed on a regular basis! My goal in 2008 is to become more selective about the fragrances I purchase, and not to let my fragrance wardrobe snowball out of control. Simplify! I will do my best to purchase only scents I utterly adore! There is nothing worse than investing in a bottle that is ultimately not what I want, and sits around collecting dust. We'll see if I can make this stick!

In 2007 I paired down my BPAL collection, opened up an etsy.com perfumary, joined basenotes, bought my beloved Kingdom unsniffed, and discovered the wonderful world of Serge Lutens. I hope to explore the Creed catalogue and some Chanel exclusives, and keep a very open mind in 2008.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cailan View Post
    Since I'm just a newbie I don't have much to write

Having been here all of maybe two weeks I have discovered:
    -top,middle and basenotes
    -there may not be just one scent for me (takes a load of my mind since there are thousands of scents out there and I wouldn't never be able to test them all anyway)
    -I have discovered Givenchy Pi for ME (lol....go figure I search for a "real" perfume and find it in the men's dept. while searching for a new scent for my husband

For 2008:
    -looking forward to my journey of trying new scents in likely and unlikely places.
    Hi Cailan, welcome, I'm new here too, and seems like you've learned plenty - instead of searching for the Holy Grail, you can just sit back, relax and enjoy the scented journey with the rest of us
    Chanakya

Discoveries of 2007:
    1. Less is more. With the help of basenoters, a few months ago, I totally revamped my collection. Even with these dozen or so, I'm noticing some frags make me feel better than others. So, I may need to trim the collection even more, but I hesitate to do so prior to Spring and Summer, just to make sure I have enough variety through the seasons.
    2. SL export line just isn't for me. Perhaps the non-export line is worth a try.
    3. Regardless of whether I wear them frequently or not, I cannot easily part with old Guerlains and old Carons. They are valuable education tools for me.

Plans for 2008:
    1. Extensively sample Parfums de Nicolai and MPG.
    2. Experiment with Creed combinations.
    3. Do not purchase any old frag when life is uninteresting and/or self-esteem is low (this has been a problem for me in the past).

Quote Originally Posted by Dulci View Post
    Fun topic! Makes me think.

Discoveries: I have discovered that I am drawn most to the Chypres, with a few Orientals thrown in.

After several rounds of sampling, I have discovered I am drawn more to the classics as opposed to the newer designer offerings or the niches. Sampling something I have smelled in the past triggers scent memories and awakens my brain in curious ways. I'm not going to be rigid about it however, you never know when you'll run across a new classic, and it is hard to resist some of the delicious scent descriptions on the forum and in the directory!

Plans: Continue to systematically explore the classics using the genealogy chart. I have made a lot of progress in the Chypre-Fruit and the Chypre-Animalic categories, and I have begun on the Chypre-Fresh. I'm curious about the Chypre-Green category too.

Try to resist blind buys. I have been lucky so far and have loved everything I bought blind, but that luck can't last forever.

Get some decanting supplies and learn how to decant so I can trade samples.
    That link has made me so happy! When I had my bespoke fragrance made, I was shown this chart, and told 'they don't make them any more', and what a glorious thing it is. It's just coming off my printer now...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Discovered my receipts for 2007 totaled $918.13!
    Discovered Nanadebary Green.
    Discovered the fragrance shops of New Orleans.
    Discovered even greater affection for Basenoters.
    Discovered a greater level of personal expression through Smilies.

Plan to follow Twolf's lead as a fragrance missionary.
    Plan to further collect/organize/coordinate/arrange frag samples in a glorious display to dazzle friends and visitors.

Plan to coordinate the Penzeys Spices Sniffing Tour now that they've moved into their new HQ.
    Plan to read newLuca Turin and Chandler Burr books.

When I was starting this thread, one important thing just slipped my mind: my #1 of all times and people Jean Couturier Coriandre was shifted to position #2, barbariously and ruthlessly, by Balmain de Balmain. Who to blame (THANK) for it? Taolady!
    Q, inquiring minds need to know more about spice sniffing tours, please!
    Last edited by Twolf; 31st December 2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Q, inquiring minds need to know more about spice sniffing tours, please!
    I plan to ask Bill Penzey to arrange a factory tour tailored to perfumistas (new facility info here). If it's as successful as I think it will be, I'm hoping Bill can arrange something special for perfumistas who visit the many Penzeys' outlets around the U.S.

Oh thanks, Wow to Wauwatosa!

Hurray Clemmie! I'm so glad you have the chart now. I tried to print one too, but it's so tiny I can't read it.

I stumbled on that link by accident, but later when I was lurking on this forum I thought I saw it mentioned here. Or maybe it was a perfume blog, I don't know...at any rate, I think it is a valuable resource.

My big discovery this year is BASENOTES.NET!!!! WOOHOO!!!

I found my beloved Alien this year. I discovered so many new perfume houses through you guys. 2007 was a terrific year for me. I bought so many new and wonderful scents like Coney Island, Spring Flowers, Flowerbomb and many others. I discovered the very talented Michael Storer and his lovely Kadota, which I plan on getting a bottle of.

Thanks to my fellow Bn's who scent me some scents to sample...my brother from another mother Mike Perez and another BNer who doesn't post much anymore merseyboy. Merseyboy just sent me a big ol bag of samples today! I have been hidden away at work all night testing them out. I tell you I will probably have to get another vanity for my perfume lol! Mike sent me some wonderful samples as well. There are a couple I may cop out of that batch as well.

I am definitely going to get....

Musc et Freesia....E Coudray...this is simply beautiful on me. My co-workers loved it on me
    Black XS...Paco Rabanne....I don't care if it is for men!! I'm gettin it! It's like D&G Light Blue with a kick!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

My big discovery is a new interest in fragrance. I'd been wearing Hypnotic Poison (year round) and Dior Addict (winter for years).

Oh yeah - and samples and Basenotes. What a fantastic community!!!!! I'm honored to be a part of it.

Not sure what 2008 is going to bring. I do know it's gonna be good.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Talking Re: Your discoveries of 2007 and plans for 2008

Discoveries in 2008

 Niche and Classic Perfumery. This was discovered in a roundabout way, as my husband found some stuff on Badger and Blade (a shaving forum) about men’s perfumes. As a result he bought blind a bottle of Czech and Speake No 88. I loved it but he said it was not a woman’s perfume. (At the time I believed him!). However he read some reviews on Basenotes and found out about Voleur du Roses which sounded more feminine but I would not buy it blind. More research on the net took place and then he told me that you could buy decants from various sites. We discovered the Perfumed Court and I have never looked back.

 Basenotes-particularly the wonderful reviews and the lovely people on the forums.

 I discovered that most of the decants of classic and niche stuff meet with approval from my husband’s sensitive nose whereas most department store stuff has to be washed of a.s.a.p. And he is right. The department store stuff is on the whole, either boring or repulsive.

 I discovered Amber Narguile, and Lys Mediterranee by Editions de Parfums and had to buy a full bottle.

 Le Labo 31 on him makes me want to tear off his clothes.

Plans for 2008

 I need to sample all the decants I have got so far.

 Maybe get into swapping samples and possibly bottle splits

 Read more stuff about fragrances

 Resample some of the classics that I did not really “get” first time round.

 Wear his No 88.

 Wear his Le Labo 31.

Quarry - your smilies make me snigger sooo often.
    How the hell did you get that one of the 'flasher'? I very nearly made tea come out of my nose when I saw that.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

For 2007: I realized not all classic fragrances are magnificent; Graffiti by Capucci smells as if 20 feral cats urinated on me.
    Also the joy (no pun intended) of discovering a place where others are just as mad about fragrance as I am, and will support me that it is not an addiction; well maybe a harmless, small one at best.
    For 2008: I will try to understand that I need to not constantly "complete" my fragrance house collections. If I love certain fragrances by...oh say Nina Ricci, I will not love all of them; the huge storage crates in my closet attest to this. Including fore mentioned Graffiti...damn feral cats.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    For 2007: I realized not all classic fragrances are magnificent; Graffiti by Capucci smells as if 20 feral cats urinated on me.
    That sent me running to a directory to look it up!
    Chanakya

Unhappy Re: Your discoveries of 2007 and plans for 2008

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    That sent me running to a directory to look it up!
    It is the truth, I love Parce que by Capucci, and I adore Yendi by him also, actually all the scents by Capucci are great. Well when I put on Graffiti, let me tell you, it smelled like I was marked by five families of cats in the forest while unconscious for three days. Oh and as far as the dry-down; two families of skunks got into the action also. I could smell something interesting in there, but after 4 tries I just had to put it in one of the crates in the closet. I was so excited about finding this long lost fragrance, but it was a huge letdown.

In 2007 I discovered the delights of Ava Luxe... I really cannot live without her Nude Musk. (also, that I actually like musks, maybe hers only...)
    I also found out that floral doesn't neccesarily equal pounding headache for me, which was very exciting!
    I finally bought Mitsouko, but I'm not comfortable wearing it - it's beautiful, but it just isn't right for me. I adore the dry down, but the opening gives me a whopper of a headache.
    I think in general my taste did a lot of growing up in 2007... where before I was an unabashed gourmand lover, I find myself gravitating towards chypres a lot more... I still love spice best of all though
    In 2008 I desperately need to get myself a super duper amber scent and a divine incense scent... I'm hoping I'll get what I want from either MPG's Ambre Precieux, or SL Ambre Sultan for amber, and with the incense I'm going to try to sample all the CDG incense series because I think they're my best bet... but also tempted to try Messe de Minuit and Parfum Sacre in case they can fill my little void.
    Also, I really, really want to try the new Annick Goutal's and to get a bottle of Eau de Charlotte...
    Arrgh, my student loan is not going to take it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    It is the truth, I love Parce que by Capucci, and I adore Yendi by him also, actually all the scents by Capucci are great. Well when I put on Graffiti, let me tell you, it smelled like I was marked by five families of cats in the forest while unconscious for three days. Oh and as far as the dry-down; two families of skunks got into the action also. I could smell something interesting in there, but after 4 tries I just had to put it in one of the crates in the closet. I was so excited about finding this long lost fragrance, but it was a huge letdown.

Perhaps the perfumer was actually Pepé Le Pew

(Ugh - skunk - my dog has made friends with a local skunk colony and comes home reeking )
    Chanakya