Code of Conduct

Post Penhaligons question!

My SOTD, today was Blenheim Bouquet, and every time I wear this fragrance, I think to myself about how this is such a well crafted fragrance! Get's and keeps my attention from first spray till last remaining traces are gone. I, other than this frag, for some reason never really have worn much from this House, and it's probably time that I did. so my question is what should I be getting samples of, and why? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Ron

Default Re: Penhaligons question!

Some of the nicer ones to try are Hammam Bouquet, Endymion, Opus 1870, Quercus, Castile (translation, might have to try quite a few!). I believe Penhaligon's gives out samplers of a few scents, or you can go to London's website to buy one of the sampler tins.

I think Castile, Endymion, Racquets Formula, and Douro are must-trys. Castile is a wonderful citrus blossom and rose - focused scent and is absolutely gorgeous, Endymion is a sexy ambery, powdery, tobacco-y night-creature, and Racquets is my end-all, be-all sport/athletic scent (powder and musk, in a sexy unique way), and Douro is a powdery citrus in the Brittish traditional style of the likes of Grafton, Dunhill '34, etc. All are extremely well done, imo.

While I can appreciate English Fern, Quercus, and LP no.9, I don't think I'd feel myself wearing them. I'm still on the fence with Hammam, because it is so beautiful, but so floral, "period", and weird to me... and I don't know that I'd wear it to the ballet over Royal Delight.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Douro, English Fir, and Endymion are my favorites of the ones you haven't tried yet. They give samples for free, all you have to do is e-mail them your requests. They're a classy operation ... like Floris.

English Fern -- one of the best men's fougères ever created, hands down.

For the ladies? Victorian Posy. Posh, old fashioned delight.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I second Castile but it's the only one I have from that house.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I wouldn't ever want to be without Opus 1870, Endymion, Castile, or above all, English Fern. Over on one of the shaving boards, English Fern was recently referred to as a "nectar of the gods", which is not hyperbole to this nose. Each is as well-crafted and accomplished as Blenheim is, in their own ways.

If my collection had to be limited to a single fragrance house, Penhaligon's would be it...I could in theory live life satisfactorily with the four scents above plus Blenheim and Douro. Add Floris No. 89, Trumper's Sandalwood, and Taylor's Victorian Limes to these Penhaligon's scents, and you have reached my particular vision of fragrance heaven.
    Last edited by CM Wolff; 31st December 2007 at 12:41 AM.

Get samples of all their men's range. (Their woman's range is outstanding too).

Castile is an exemplar of how to do florals in a traditional men's style that feels quite new in 2007(8). I think the posts above identify the real stars in the line (Castile, Endymion, Racquets, and the latest, Opus 1870). Quercus is a dead end.

Of the old school scents I an ambivalent about English Fern, indifferent to Blenheim and besotted with Hammam.

If there is a 'house feel', and I'm probably stretching in trying to identify this, it is - relaxed, assured, natural, complex, classy. I don't think there is a better English line of scents in production at the mo.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Not long ago I visited their Website and then sent emails to several email addresses listed there (US and GB). I simply asked for samples as I had heard a lot of good things about their products. Within about a week I had received about twenty large vials that included pretty much everything they make. Some of the stuff was even over-nighted. Amazing marketing response I thought. Everything was free.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Patrick View Post
    Not long ago I visited their Website and then sent emails to several email addresses listed there (US and GB). I simply asked for samples as I had heard a lot of good things about their products. Within about a week I had received about twenty large vials that included pretty much everything they make. Some of the stuff was even over-nighted. Amazing marketing response I thought. Everything was free.
    ooo i should do this too...rather than buying the confret for $20
    any tips and pointers...so i dont sound like im begging...
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

I agree that Castile is a must - it is beautiful neroli & rose, very easy to wear.
    Hammam Bouquet is not necessarily easy to wear, but a must also, as it is pretty much the finest rose scent on Earth. IMHO only C&S No. 88 equals it (in quality, in style they are worlds apart).
    English Fern is a must if you have only the slightest regard for Fougères.
    These, with Blenheim, are my favorites.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

English Fern is a truly outstanding fragrance, and something I wore for years before there was a Basenotes.com. The minute you smell it you are transported to another time and place. Not dated. A beautiful classic. Only downside: doesn't last very long.

Duoro/Lords another favorite of mine from about 10 years ago. And Racquets, which I purchased back then too, about the day it came out.

Penhaligon was a line I wore exclusively for years. I've branched out a lot since then, but will go back to EF and D/L one day for sure.

Racquets is great for younger guys.

I think that i discovered my favorite house,i have English Fern-Hammam Bouquet-Raquets Formula-Lords(Douro) and Quercus but i can say that English Fern is my <holy grail>,i have 3 bottles backup.

Oh and I forgot to mention Opus, but others have already filled in

Probably the best pepper scent I've smelled, but for now, Himalaya has pepper covered for me. I still might go for it.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

For 20 years I have always had a bottle of Hammam Bouquet. As soon as one bottle starts to be getting low, I always buy a new one.

I remember the days when HB was also available in Extract, now that was to die for.

Barry

Castile was my fav neroli-based scent til I tried L'Occitane Neroli EdP. Still, Castile ranks very high. Have yet to try Opus but Endymion did not appeal to me.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Based on this thread, I am waiting to get some samples of Penhaligons right now. Thanks for the glowing reviews of Penhaligons. Thanks.