Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Happy New Year! SOTD January 1, 2008

Incense Rose by Ava-Luxe, I like the oude in this one and I mixed it with just a dab of AL Oude oil.

I had a quiet evening with daughter number one, we went to a film, had dinner, relaxed. She is off again tomorrow, and I may not see her till the spring, unless I get myself to Chicago.
    DH and daughter number two are due back from Argentina in the late morning, then she is back to work on Wednesday, just staying long enough to pick up her car and her pup.

May this year bring peace in the world and peace within ourselves (and lots of great smelling stuff)
    Last edited by Zibeline; 1st January 2008 at 05:12 AM.

Default Re: Happy New Year! SOTD January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!!!

Ma Griffe - Carven
    Wishlist is pointless.

Happy New Year - all the best for 2008!

Dolce Vita - Dior

**Happy New Year**
    All the best to all Basenoters

Angélique Encens

Still awake cleaning up from new years party ( I can't stand to wake up to a dirty kitchen). DH and daughter are upstairs engaged in a competitive Wii baseball tournament! I still smell fabulous in my Fifi Chachnil

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    Still awake cleaning up from new years party ( I can't stand to wake up to a dirty kitchen).
    I so hear you, girl.

No party to clean up after here tonight. Just DH2B and me. Oysters Rockefeller, Chateaubriand, and Trouble.

Happiest New Year to All!
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Happy New Year!

The one that called me this morning was Guerlain's classic Eau de Cologne Impériale
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

So now it is 2008. I hope this year will be more comfortable conserning scents for me, and I guess this will happen. I wish all BN:s a fab scent-year!

SotD: Chanel No 5 EdP + bodylotion. Fab! I might get the perfume...
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

SotE(s) are Miller Harris Geranium Bourbon on one side and Coeur D'Ete on the other - both from samples.

Blog Entries

Happy New Year's day to all!

I managed to watch the ball drop last night with the help of strong Spanish coffee to keep me awake, saw spectacular tv coverage of celebrations/fireworks round the world starting with Sydney, and fell asleep about 5 minutes after the ball dropped - not bothering to try to watch entertainers I am completely unfamiliar with.

Gearing up to be hit by more snow here later in the day - and wanted a scent to transport me away from winter's cold.

SotD Un Jardin Sur Le Nil

Here's hoping Jean Claude Ellena will continue to bring us lovely gifts like this in the year ahead.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Ombre Rose.

Happy New Year!

May all good things happen to you in 2008, with lots of peace

I'm in Penhaligon's Bluebell today.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Happy New Year all you love BN-ers! I am wearing Josephine by Francois Rance today. Suhweet!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Is it not remarkable how the human mind works? The clock strikes twelve, 2007 is history and most of us will have the feeling that we get a new chance. To make a new start with a clean slate.
    The power of faith and trust.

For a perfume addict the birth of a new year is a true gift from heaven
    Dutch custom: you will be kissed three times!! Now, be honest, who would not grab the opportunity to unashamedly nuzzle as many fragrant necks as possible, eh?
    ::Oh, this one smells gooood! Hmm hmm, that one is even better......., now, what are you wearing? Ah, let me write that down......::
    I am afraid I looked like a fragrance vampire.

First scent of this year Djedi, my most loved Guerlain at the moment.

May 2008 be a year filled with love and joy for all of you.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Long time lurker popping in.

Cozy amber today - using up the last of my Michele Bergman Black Amber sample.

Wishing all a happy and prosperous 2008.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! to everyone!
    I hope this will be a good and smelly year for everyone, with lot's of good health.

For the first time
    Mouchoir de Monsieur for me , from my newly, fresh purchased bottle.

I'm imediateley transported to the year 1900. Weird scent, more oriental than citrus to me. I'm getting a strong civet note out of this.( at least I think it is)
    Last edited by eric; 1st January 2008 at 11:55 AM.

Happy New Year!

Wishing you all lots of peace, health, love, friendship and luck for 2008

Re-applied my yesterday's SotE, Clive Christian X.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Happy new year dear Basenoters. May success, luck and love be with you - always accompanied by a big collection of your beloved perfumes

My sotd today is Gris Clair by Serge Lutens. I love this soft lavendar wonder!
    Let´s make 2008 smell great!

Quote Originally Posted by Leontion View Post
    Long time lurker popping in.

Cozy amber today - using up the last of my Michele Bergman Black Amber sample.

Wishing all a happy and prosperous 2008.
    Welcome Leontion.

I too am wrapped in the warm embrace of amber today with SL's
    Ambre Sultan

A good new year's day to everyone.

We had a quiet and a lot-better-than-last-year's celebration with no cleanup afterwards. Amouage Dia Femme for the first day of the year.

Oh, Dee-
    WHAT a wonderful avatar...
    I want to be that dog, or Musse's rat.

We three [ DH, J, and I] spent a bittersweet eve feeling utterly grateful, and more than a bit worried...
    At 7:30 pm, 2 blocks away, a 7 alarm fire began, and our friends had to vacate their house, next door, b/o the very real danger of implosion [ an old brick building, 1877, one person dead, still burning...]

Poor J, only 17, goes to high school w/ one of the 3 children next door to it.
    He cried.

Wore Amber Noir to bed [ Sonoma], still smell it now.
    Just fed the guinea pigs, and will probably wear Kretek today.

Please pray for those left homeless !
    May this year be a better one....

Lievje- hope other son is improving- mwah !

My eldest comes home from Middle East tomorrow.
    I want him safe.
    In my arms.

Happy New Year, everyone!!

Starting 2008 off in my calm & wonderful L'Homme de Coeur by Divine, after a nice hot bath.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    Oh, Dee-
    WHAT a wonderful avatar...
    I want to be that dog, or Musse's rat.

We three [ DH, J, and I] spent a bittersweet eve feeling utterly grateful, and more than a bit worried...
    At 7:30 pm, 2 blocks away, a 7 alarm fire began, and our friends had to vacate their house, next door, b/o the very real danger of implosion [ an old brick building, 1877, one person dead, still burning...]

Poor J, only 17, goes to high school w/ one of the 3 children next door to it.
    He cried.

Wore Amber Noir to bed [ Sonoma], still smell it now.
    Just fed the guinea pigs, and will probably wear Kretek today.

Please pray for those left homeless !
    May this year be a better one....

Lievje- hope other son is improving- mwah !

My eldest comes home from Middle East tomorrow.
    I want him safe.
    In my arms.
    Chaya happy to hear your eldest is winging his way home to mama's fragrant arms - what a great gift for the New Year. Those left homeless by the fire are in my prayers as is the person who lost life - and your son is exhibiting admirable empathy - which with a mom like you is understandable.

The avatar is my "snow dog" Taboo We have no idea what breed/mix she is - obviously part something from cold climes, because her idea of heaven is to go to sleep on a mountain of snow or ice. My older dog has arthritis and likes to stay inside near the heat vents.

Hugs to you!
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 1st January 2008 at 12:56 PM.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Happy New Year!
    Today I am feeling rather delicate... so I just have on Ava Luxe Nude Musk
    x

Happy new year everyone!

I have Apres L'Ondee on me today.

Happy New Year everyone!
    Having flagellated myself with a three mile run, I've just crawled out of the bath and applied Mitsouko.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

A special greeting to those making a point to reunion here today. Hebe, I hope you'll tell everyone what you told me in your PM. So glad to hear your pregnancy is progressing okay.
    And a humongous hello to those leaving the shadows of lurkdom. Thank you for adding your voice and fragrance to the launch of Basenotes 2008.

I'm wearing Bois de Violette--very different for me. Still struggling to wrap my nostrils around violet notes, but feel like I'm making progress.

Undecided and out-of-sorts this morning, but I didn't want to wear any of my go-to comfort perfumes...seemed a bad starting note. So, after rooting around through my samples, I'm starting the day in Nicholas Nicolai Number One. Happy New Year, everyone!

Happy New Year to all new and seasoned basenoters!
    Had a great party at home last night and everyone mucked in to
    help with the clearing up, having stayed over in my newly
    vacated empty nest!!
    One son was in London (where the firework display was fab)
    and the other watched the balldrop in Times Square.
    I wore CRISTOBAL and am wearing it today as well.

Happy new year everybody I'm sorry to hear about the people getting homeless New Years has always been a bit of mixed emotions for me...Hope they are ok! Anyway,sotd is Aromatics Elexir.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    A special greeting to those making a point to reunion here today. Hebe, I hope you'll tell everyone what you told me in your PM. So glad to hear your pregnancy is progressing okay.
    How lovely to feel so welcomed! Thanks for setting this up Quarry. Here's the pm, edited to bring the weeks up to date! And today's scent is Chanel 5 parfum, layered on after a bath with Chanel 5 bath oil, for a little bit of extra longevity.

Seasons greetings!

Thank you for your lovelypm, I will certainly log in to the sotd reunion!

I am doing well, thank you, and hope you are too. My baby is due in just under 4 weeks time, and I'm looking forward to meeting her so much! Scent has been a struggle for me the last couple of months or so, most of my favourites either disappear instantly or are amplified hugely. Stretch-mark cream doesn't seem to layer well with anything either! Anyway, it is a very small price to pay.

Hope you had a splendid Christmas and wishing you every happiness for 2008!

Happy New Year to one and all!!!

I am currently a mash of ambers and animalics:

Ambre Sultan and Fiore d'Ambre on each wrist, and Parfum d'Ida in the crook of both elbows!

After shower in preparation for our New Year's Day open house (100+ people over the course of the day -- Chaya and Tinks, I believe you're within commuting distance... COME OVER!!!!) believe I will spend the day in the gorgeous Cuir d'Iris by Parfumerie Generale.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Happy New Year to ALL!

The Oporto had its way with me and it was fireworks awoke me at about 5 minutes to midnight, so I did usher in the New Year rather than sleep through it!

Creed Silver Mountain Water
    for this new beginning..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 1st January 2008 at 03:19 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone! A BN'er kindly alerted me to the New Years reunion thread, so having been away for a time I thought I'd take this opportunity to pop back in.

Sotd is Creed Vanisia
    Notes: rose, jasmine, sandalwood, vanilla

I hope to spend more time with you from now on, and I wish all of you and your loved ones a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!

Terry
    Last edited by tdem1961; 1st January 2008 at 03:23 PM.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

The Different Company
    Rose Poivree

Damascus Rose, rose bay, pepper, coriander, civet and vetiver.

Silver Factory.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Welcomewelcome to all the newie/lurkers - don't be strangers.

Loving energy to all in need.... which is really all of us!
    As for this Tuesday - Molinard 1949 Collection - Habanita samples arrived!!!

...and in the interest of science am doing a sniff off - the 1949 (parfum and HUGELY "spensuff") and the EDT (like, forty clams for 3 oz.)

I must first say I never met an Oriental that I didn't love - and Habanita is my very favoritest on most given days. (When I'm not cozying up to - say - Tabu. Or Toujours Moi.

Right after application I preferred the EDT - brighter, "greener", more exuberant. The parfum just sat there. "Ha!" I thought - "I've just saved hundreds of dollars!"

Wrongo!

After about an hour the power of the 'fume begins to assert itself - there's sinuous muskiness and a deep throated sandalwood and exotic flower baseline around which swirls tobacco smoke. This is pre-Castro Havana - captured in the music of The Buena Vista Social Club....full of gaiety and dancing - bright happy faces, flashing smiles - flouncing skirts. Arriba arriba!!

Start savin'!!

(Zibs and Sestra - your samples will be in the mail tomorrow. And I think I promised someone else too - SPEAK UP. [I've GOT to get a P.A.])

P.S. Sloan_8013 that is AWESOME!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 1st January 2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Just saw Sloan_8013's post.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

It's so good to see lurkers post and lost ones returning! Hi to all of you.

Chaya, my sympathy with your family and of course the people of the exploded building. What a horrible way to start the year.
    How's your head by the way, has the migraine left the building?
    Son is the same as yesterday, it didn't get worse.

SotE (it's almost 17.00) will be Farnisiana, thanks to Chaya.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Quarry, your words are always kind and welcoming!

SOTD ~ Lutens Un Bois Vanille

CHAYA - very sorry to hear this sad news, but am happy to hear your son is coming home to you. How wonderful!
    LEONTION - welcome to the board.

Scent twins with RIANNON today in the mysterious and beautiful DJEDI, a precious gift from a very generous basenoter a few months back! (thanks Dimples). Starting a New Year is worthy of this beauty, and I still have a few drops left for another special occasion!

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!
    All the best in 2008'

Hope this is your best year ever!!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Decided on Asja today. It's such a lovely fragrance and I don't wear it as often as I'd like.

Happy New Years Everyone!
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey View Post
    Decided on Asja today. It's such a lovely fragrance and I don't wear it as often as I'd like.

Happy New Years Everyone!
    It is. And I hardly wear it. I might make myself a note to wear that one tomorrow, it needs an airing.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    ...who would not grab the opportunity to unashamedly nuzzle as many fragrant necks as possible, eh?
    Good one! That was a great image.
    I spent New Year's Eve composing music on my synthesizers. Had a lovely time, too.
    Welcome, people who I haven't heard from in awhile!
    Happy and fragrant new year to you all.
    Sloan, that was a creepy but beautiful photo.
    For me today, one of my favorite perfumes ever, Ayala Moriel Ayalitta. Green, chypre, spicy, floral, ambery, animalic. One perfume does it all. All-natural, too.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 1st January 2008 at 04:10 PM.

Today I moved my earrings out of a jewellery box and have dedicated it to my numerous decants....The earrings are waiting for an acrylic earring stand to arrive. I may photograph the decants in true basenotes style when I get round to it.

Today I am wearing Parfum de Nicolai Eclipse.Gorgeous it is too.

Happy and fragrant New Year to all.

Un Jardin sur le Nil
    "Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them." Benjamin Disraeli

[I]Mitsouko vintage parfum

last night in Shalimar parfum

It feels right to start the year in Guerlain.

Happy New Year to all, even amidst some of the turmoil, wishing you a peaceful and happy day.[/I]
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I'm starting 2008 in Coney Island. This one is special for a lot of reasons ...

happy 2008 to all!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 1st January 2008 at 04:43 PM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Happy New Year to all. I fear that I have ceased believing in peace, but please, just some kindness.
    Today, after a trip to the gym and a long, indulgent shower, I have settled down with a pot of tea wearing Idole by Lubin, layered over MKK. Oh, yes.
    Last night was fairly quiet: a glass of wine, movies and Chinese food with my husband, and then settling in to watch a Fred Astaire film festival on TV.

Purplebird: I am totally unfamiliar with Ayala Moriel. Ayalitta sounds like something I would love. Just when I promised myself to slow down.

I am going through my samples and organizing today. I have sprayed on a little narciso rodriguez for her. It's ok so far!

Lally

Here's to 2008 being a heck of a lot better than 2007! (At least for me!)
    The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”

Chaya - Sorry to hear of your neighbors. Time to count your blessings and hug your loved ones (as soon as they're all within arms' reach, anyway).

Sampling Burburry London, and am very unhappy about it. :-(

Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Hello everyone! A BN'er kindly alerted me to the New Years reunion thread, so having been away for a time I thought I'd take this opportunity to pop back in.

Sotd is Creed Vanisia
    Notes: rose, jasmine, sandalwood, vanilla

I hope to spend more time with you from now on, and I wish all of you and your loved ones a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!

Terry

How nice to see you, Terry, have missed you! :bounce:

Un Bois Vanille for me today.

A happy new 2008 to all of you!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Happy New Year to everybody, may 2008 be much better than 2007

Chaya sorry to hear about the mishap, but glad your son is coming back safe.

I am going to start off the year with my fav , Black Aoud ....
    Last edited by maisonstinky; 1st January 2008 at 06:20 PM.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Happy New Year to All!

I can't decide what to wear today, I've got ham hocks simmering, the collard and mustard greens go in later. They will taste so good, but stink up the house something awful. I don't know if I should choose something strong to try to overpower the stench or just wear a skin scent...

What the heck, I chose Rochas Femme.

Basenotes Institution

Vanilla Grapefruit by Lavanila

I'm starting the year in Ligea la Sirena.

Blessings to all in the New Year!

Flowerbomb was the last fragrance I purchased in 2007, and now is the first I've worn in 2008. Happy 2008!

Going with Ambre Narguile today.
    Sniff and let sniff.

So warming to see the familiar faces and the new faces joining the SotD today.
    Nice to see you posting again, tdem1961 and nice to see you here, rockinruby.

Welcome, Leontion and kitz!

Come on, silent readers....today is THE day to delurk and join the fun

Chaya, it's sad to hear what happened to your neigbours....but at least you can take your son into your arms again.

Joining ComDiva in Cuir d'Iris as SotE....simply beautiful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I'm over-sprayed with Allure Sensuelle
    On the bright side I got a 15%off coupon for the Perfume Court....whattogetwhattogetwhattoget??????

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL POSTERS & LURKERS!