Code of Conduct

Default ROCABAR - What can I expect ?

I just scored myself some Hermes ROCABAR of Ebay ... >>> BLIND BUY #1 for 08
    Seeing the database is down and an advanced search revealed only a few comments I have started this thread ....
    What can one expect from this frag ?
    Mega seductive with super sillage or just a pleasant frag that evaporates to quick ? sweet or spicy ?
    Your thoughts fellas ... Don't hold back ... Go grab your bottle and have a spritz !!
    Seems like this one is very rarely used .. cheers .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Default Re: ROCABAR - What can I expect ?

A brief citrus opening leading to a very smooth balsam wood.

It has good sillage. Lasts for me on hours. Gotten good compliments. Very masculine, classy. Somwhat sweet with vanilla, but not excessively so. One of my favorites.

A basic citrus woody scent with a touch of vanilla. It was a very brief scent on my skin that way no interest was sparked for me on this fragrance.

Dependent

I found "notes of berries, balsam, and dry woods" described on a blog.

I also looked at the Hermes site and it seems it's no longer offered.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 1st January 2008 at 05:31 PM.

Cedar, cedar and cedar, mixed with resinous balsamic notes and some vanilla.
    Like someone wrote in the (right now) unavailable database, it reminds you of a walk in the forest.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

The ladies seem to like this one a lot on me but I've grown tired of it. It gives me a headache now, but strangely, it smells amazing the next morning when the steam and hot water from my shower reactivate it.

It's warm, woody, dry, and unique in my wardrobe. As mentioned above, like "a walk in the forest" is a good description.

For me:
    Sillage - 5 stars
    Longevity - 5 stars

I want to like it again

Thumbs up Re: ROCABAR - What can I expect ?

It's both creamy smooth and dry woods, also somewhat sweet,
    once you get past the strong dill in the opening.

I liked it.

Everything described above is in it. A very good scent. My only negative on it is the longevity. On my skin it may last at most 1 hour. Of course each person has a different skin chemistry so you may find it long lasting.

Hi, Dimitrios.

I like Rocabar a little more than most on this forum, but it does seem to be the masculine Hermes scent with the smallest following. I think the most common complaint is simply that it's just not as exciting or daring as the other Hermes scents.

According to OzMoz the note pyramid is:

Topnotes: bergamot, lemon, coriander, artemesia
    Midnotes: cardamom, violet, orris, carnation
    Basenotes: patchouli, benzoin, vanilla, oakmoss

But the description in the paragraph above the note pyramid says something like fir, cedar, and cypress giving way to vanilla and resin. The scent is described as evoking a horseback ride in the forest, and that the scent is built like a tree, with the topnotes evoking the leaves, the midnotes the woody trunk and limbs, and the basenotes the earthy roots. I agree that there's something outdoorsy about it.

Anyway, the previous posters have said it pretty well. It starts out with lemon and bergamot, but to me also has a pine or cedar character. This citrusy, piney sort of smell is balanced by a balsamic vanilla sweetness and rounded out by the foral components. It is creamy smooth, not harsh at all.

The topnotes seem almost minty to me, and the whole opening reminds me of a combination of hard mint candy, pine resin, and a bit of vanilla.

It does get a little sweet in the drydown, but it's not a cloying sweetness. That aromatic, balsamic, resinous character is there as a counterbalance. It is sort of a lively, almost fresh sweetness. For some reason it reminds me of Caron's L'Arnachiste, but rounder, and without the odd metal and blood notes.

It lasts a long time on me, but doesn't seem to be a sillage monster. After a while I have to get fairly close to be able to smell it, not burying my head in my arm, but at least getting to within a few inches.

It's a very good scent and I think you'll like it!

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 2nd January 2008 at 03:06 PM.

Pleasant, unobtrusive, somewhat sweet but not cloying. Stays on its best behavior as one would when visiting distant relatives. I wear it during the holidays and at no other time.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I like Rocabar a little more than most on this forum, but it does seem to be the masculine Hermes scent with the smallest following. I think the most common complaint is simply that it's just not as exciting or daring as the other Hermes scents.
    I must agree wholeheartedly.

I am a card carrying member of the Hermes Fan Club, howevere Rocabar (which was gifted to me by Rich [_R$_]) left me cold. Masculine, woodsy and quite boring to my nose. I'm selling my small atomizer bottle - if anyone's interested PM me.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd January 2008 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    A basic citrus woody scent with a touch of vanilla. It was a very brief scent on my skin that way no interest was sparked for me on this fragrance.
    I would have to agree. I would also add that it was too warm to my nose, especially in the heat.