Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! >> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Jan. 5, 2008 >> ORIENTALS

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within the themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    January ~ Oriental
    February ~ Animalic

(civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

March ~ Chypre
    April ~ Floral
    May ~ Fruity
    June ~ Citrus
    July ~ Green
    August ~ Fresh or aquatic
    September ~ Fougere

("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

October ~ Ambery
    November ~ Spicy
    December ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity)
    See previous SnS discussions:
    January 6, 2007 ~ Orientals February 3, 2007 ~ Animalics March 2, 2007 ~ Chypres April 14, 2007 ~ Florals May 4, 2007 ~ Fruity June 2, 2007 ~ Citrus September 1, 2007 ~ Fougere October 6, 2007 ~ Amber November 3, 2007 ~ SpicyDecember 1, 2007 ~ Gourmand [For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.]
    Last edited by Quarry; 1st January 2008 at 04:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! >> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Jan. 5, 2008 >> ORIENTALS

Thank you Quarry! (you got the dates right too )

This gives me time to prepare - I realized that with the directory down - and can't look at my wardrobe (thankfully d-loaded a list) that I'd have to spend some time figuring out what I have that fits in this category - lucky for me it seems that much of what I have does You could knock me over with a feather! If you had asked me what frag category I'm drawn to - I would have promptly answered "florals". I guess I was wrong. I've got lots of Orientals - but here's the question - I'm a bit confused about what is Oriental- what is floriental - and looking at the list to come - some things I have probably fit into several categories. At least I'm not left groping for a gourmand like last month.

This is a great learning exercise for us newbies.

I spent the last few hours looking at the perfume genealogy chart, OzMoz, and the Fragrance Directory, and am now a bit confused - since there seem to be slightly different classification systems at work here.

Here's what I put together (using only frags I own or have samples of):

Ozmoz has four Oriental sub categories:
    http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/familles_fiche.asp?ID=8

Floral:, Boucheron Edition Bleue, Eau Legère Boucheron, Caron Aimez-Moi , Guerlain: L’Heure Bleue Apres l’Ondee, Nahema, Plus que Jamais, Hermes 24 Faubourg, Jean Patou Sira des Indes, Lancôme Mille et Une Roses, Maitre Parfumeur & Gantier Fleur des Comores, Oscar de la Renta Oscar, Serge Lutens A la Nuit, Yves Rocher Iris Noir

Spicy: Caron Parfum Sacre, L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two, Lagerfeld KL

Vanilla: Boucheron Jaïpur Saphir, Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Abricot

Woody: Guerlain: Jicky, Shalimar, Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose, L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing!, Maitre Parfumeur & Gantier Or des Indes, Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan. Arabie, Bois Vanille, Guerlain Iris Ganache, Samsara, Lancôme Hypnôse, Molinard Habanita, Parfums Delrae Bois de Paradis

The Genealogy of perfume – poster Feminine Fragrances
    www.leffingwell.com/h&rfragrance/poster_genealogie_feminin.pdf
    has two only types of Orientals - Ambery and Spicy

Jicky - ambery Oriental
    Shalimar - ambery Oriental
    Habanita - ambery Oriental
    Samsara – ambery Oriental
    Parfum Sacre- spicy Oriental
    Narcisse Noir - spicy oriental
    KL- spicy oriental

The Fragrance Directory
    http://www.fragrancedirectory.info/usadirectory/

Has four sub types of their Oriental category:

Fresh: Adrienne Vittadini, CSP Vanille Abricot
    Crisp: Jaipur Saphir, Shalimar
    Classical: Shalimar, MPG Or des Indies
    Rich: Secrete Datura

but they also have another category called "Soft Oriental" with 4 sub cats:

Soft Fresh: I have zero from this group
    Soft Crisp: ditto
    Soft Classical: George Sand
    Soft Rich: SL Ambre Sultan

So my question is - what classification system are we using? Which would be better suited to the exercise and which should I perhaps save for later groups.

None of these directories had Ciara - which I did a search on earlier and it's also listed by most as an Oriental.
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 1st January 2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typos
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

I'm drawn to a lot of florientals... but I almost feel that it's missing the point if I wore a floriental for the SnS. I'll go see if I have anything a bit more Oriental - perhaps I'll wear Dior Addict. Failing that I know I have a sample of Ambre Sultan somewhere... or maybe I should leave that for the Amber SnS. I feel so indecisive!

Post Thanks / Like

This is the most difficult category for me as well: a lot of fragrances are classified as both floral and oriental and then we have special days for Spicy and Ambery, which are also Oriental by definition.

Solution: wear what you want! Share with the world what you found out recently, break into the new sample, post a sentiment from the past about the scent you choose. It is not a contest or competition, it is all for our pleasure. Quick suggestion: how about making this day Almondy Scent this year? This is a moment of truth for me, as until 2007 I thought I cannot accept any almonds in my fragrances, but now I know I can!

I've never done a sniff 'n' speak, and to be honest I'm a bit intimidated by it, but I love Orientals and Florientals, and I'm slightly inclined to give this a go - if I can remember...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I've never done a sniff 'n' speak, and to be honest I'm a bit intimidated by it, but I love Orientals and Florientals, and I'm slightly inclined to give this a go - if I can remember...
    Intimidated? The only requirement IS remembering. (Admittedly, quite a challenge for some of us. )

Just wear what you like and tell us what you think about it. Reading others' comments directs our attention to fragrances we may not have previously noticed or have forgotten about. And it spurs us to try new things.

The categories simply give us some direction and heighten our awareness of the industry's classifications.

I like Twolf's suggestion to select from an almondy subgroup this time around--just like last summer's green SnS had an optional vetiver theme. Ultimately, just Sniff what you choose and Speak your opinion--no special skills required (or else I wouldn't qualify for participation--no joke).

I'll be joing in with this theme day, and will base my choices largely on the fabulous list and comments provided by Moondeva in the Jan 2006 link at the bottom of Quarry's first post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Sestra - I didn't notice the link. Still trying to decide on what to wear tomorrow

Since I'm home all day - I think I'll try two.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have a cupboard full of animalic orientals, ambery orientals and gourmand orientals...so I went for the most overtly oriental scent in my collection...Poison. A heady burst of jammy fruits and tuberose. Although it reminds me so much of the 80s, I do love this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Shalimar for me on this Oriental Sniff 'n' Speak.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

I went to bed in AL's Loukhoum extrait...
    That definitely qualifies- rose, musk, vanilla, pistachio, ? hazelnut, and cocount.
    A toasty, nutty sweetness that is quite different from KM's almondy, heliotrope-laden scent [I own them both, and love them for different reasons].

Today, thanks to Louise, I'll wear Bois de Copaiba [PG]- for me, very similar to LHB in feel-
    Floriental, moody, rich, almost unctuous.

Post Thanks / Like

Castelbajac EdP (so different from EdT!) with the notes of: cyclamen, almond, orange blossom, lily of the valley, vanilla, musk, cedarwood and patchouli.

Rich and enveloping in the beginning, soft and woody-powdery in the process of wear. Not gourmand, with grown-up vanilla and a gorgeous bottle. Heard the rumor that it is discontinued. In mood and behavior it is close to SL Datura Noir.

Top note: Bergamot, anise.
    Middle note: Carnation, orange blossoms, rose and tuberose.
    End note: Heliotrope, iris, vanilla, musk.

OZ Moz Notes for 'Floral oriental' LHB.
    So, we have spice and oranges.
    TTHAT's not very helpful, lol.

I started the day in Creed's Royal Delight. The top notes are chock full of citrus goodness, but a semi-sweet background is immediately evident and keeps it from being too "masculine cologne" - like. A seamless blend of spicy floral notes follows (although no spices seem to be listed among the notes) and the drydown is gloriously Oriental. I have been wondering which components give it its leathery tinge, wich is almost exceedingly softened by the slightly powdery ambergris note.

My first - and only - FB Creed has the following notes: bergamot, mandarin, Italian jasmine, Turkish rose, violet, leather notes, sandalwood, ambergris, vanilla.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

My Sniff and Speak for today - Dior Addict. The first scent I though of when I heard it was Oriental month.

Complex, strong, big silliage (on me at least). A scent I have gotten lots of compliments on over the years (probably because they can smell me from 10 feet away).

OSMOZ Notes:

Top: Mandarin Leaf, Silk Tree Flower.
    Heart: Queen of the Night, Rose, Jasmine, Orange Blossom
    Base: Vanilla, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean

Please take my comments below with a grain of salt - this is how I interpret this scent using my admittedly sketchy scent memory and my inability to identify notes:

On me, it starts with a blast of alcohol and patchouli (I think my 5 year old bottle - stored in its box all these years - is starting to lose its top notes). The patchouli becomes a bit powdery in the heart. Despite the listed middle notes, Dior Addict doesn't register as "floral" during any part of the evolution. More like a woody incense (I think it's the sandalwood making an early appearance). It finally settles into a woody, spicy vanilla.

The "patchouli" tone seems to weave itself throughout the scent - making the evolution of this scent fairly linear with slight modifications as it dries down. A little greenery here, a little powder there, some vanilla at the end.

I always thought this fragrance was very well blended. It's tough to pick out individual notes. I don't smell the rose or jasmine or orange blossom. I have no idea what Mandarin Leaf, Silk Tree Flower or Queen of the Night smell like. And I'm finding that Tonka Bean is a malleable note that has registered as everything from cherry candy to wood.

Definitely NOT your fruity floral or close-wearing. This stuff is identifiable on someone from 20 paces. I can put one spray of this stuff on my chest and it lasts until I take a shower and scrub thoroughly.

I suspect I've always interpreted this scent as a sophisticated patchouli because the environment I worked in when I first started wearing it. My wardrobe was flannel shirts and combat boots (yes - 10 years after grunge went out of fashion). I did a lot of physical labor during my day. I hung out with computer jocks, academics and librarians. It might have been the way I tried to make Dior Addict fit me at the time.

It might also be why I don't wear it very much these days - it reminds me of a time, place, and person that doesn't exist anymore.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Serge Lutens Chergui for me today. Complex, rich, spicy, warm, with drier notes of tobacco and incense providing a welcome grounding and counterpoint for its classically oriental sweetness. Excellent lasting power. A delight to wear.

Notes include honey, musk, leather, incense, tobacco leaf, hay sugar, amber, iris, rose, sandalwood

Thanks for another enjoyable Sniff-N-Speak!

Terry
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Okay - gulp - I'll dive in here on Revlon's Ciara. Wearing the 200 strength (There are 3 strengths for Ciara 80 = toilet water, 100 = cologne, 200 = eau de parfum).
    Very strong spicy opening; it filled my bathroom this morning and floated out into the hallway. DH took an appreciative sniff when I brought him his morning coffee and said “you smell sexy”. I just smiled and said “thank you dear”. I’m no good at describing notes except in a very general way but I do get the spice and can smell the orangey bergamot and underneath the vanilla. Sillage – amazing. Longevity – excellent (this I know from many past wearings).

Spent some time researching this morning, because Quarry indicated that Sniff & Speak was a good way to alert other bn’ers to scents, and though I’m not very good at describing yet, I love to research. I was surprised at what I found.

Most places list notes as:
    Top Notes: Vanilla, Amber, sandalwood, patchouli, cedarwood
    Heart Notes: Herbaceous spices
    Base Notes: Frankincense, balsam, myrrh, raspberry

However Revlon lists Ciara as:
    "A truly feminine bouquet of jasmine, orange flower and ylang-ylang:
    Top Notes: Bergamot, Raspberry, Neroli, Lemon
    Mid Notes: Jasmin, Palmarosa, Rosewood, Ylang-Ylang, Orris
    Dry Down: Leather, Cedarwood, Opoponax, Musk, Incense, Vanilla"

I choose this scent to wear today because I think it is sorely neglected as a frag – relegated to bins in drugstores, ignored and unlisted by OzMoz and Michael Edward’s Fragrance Directory (they do have Revlon’s Charlie) - this frag can “pass” these days as an expensive knockout. It should go to near the top of the list of Scrooge scents – I’ve seen the 200 strength lowest price listed for $12.99!

I also selected it because of the memories it evokes. I first bought Ciara in honor of a woman I admired very much when I was in college in the late 60’s. She was the wife of one of my professors. An Italian countess from Stresa, her first name was Ciara. She was very Continental and sexy-elegant, and I loved the sibilance of her name and the way she carried herself, dressed and smelled and I wanted very much to have some of her style. I think I was also influenced by my idea of what sexy was – I could never identify with Marilyn Monroe because I’m brunette and skin-color beige – my role models for sexy were Italian - Sophia Loren and Gina Lollobrigida.

When Revlon released Ciara 1973 – I snatched one up, without even smelling it first. The name got me. These were my disco days – out all night dancing in clubs doing the Hustle – scents were loud and heavy in the 70’s – like the music and the clubs (Opium came out a few years later) I loved Ciara; in it I felt very femme fatale.

Ciara has often been compared to Habanita, Chantilly, and Bal a Versailles – and though I don’t think that is completely accurate – they do share similar notes.

Anyone else have or remember this scent?
    Chanakya

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    Thanks Sestra - I didn't notice the link. Still trying to decide on what to wear tomorrow

Since I'm home all day - I think I'll try two.
    Apologies Dee, I wasn't turning away from the list you kindly provided (thanks!), I simply hadn't been reading with enough attention. I need all the help I can get with these categories and my first anxious thought was to look for Moondeva's tables which I'd used before.

As it happens I forgot it was Oriental day today, but as I left the house in a hurry I sprayed on Musc Ravageur as it cuts through the nasal congestion I've had for the last few days. MR is an Oriental, so here I am participating by default. I'll choose another Oriental for SotE with a little more thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, Dee, I never tried Ciara. But I love having scent-associated memories like that.

I am starting to prefer Orientals to Chypres these days. Part of the reason is that the Chypre genre is being reformulated to follow oakmoss restrictions, and I don't like most of the "New Chypres," mainly the cheap, synthetic, department store launches. Some of the niche offereings are still good. Another reason is that I seem to be able to smell sweetness less lately. I am no longer overwhelmed by a wave of amber or vanilla, in fact, I seek that deep sweetness in the base of all fragrances and miss it when it does not arrive. Also, it is winter.

So, I haul out my trusty Parfum Sacre, which has that deep vanillic base, but it is overlayed with lemon and mace, plus a dash of pepper to break up the sweetness, before it exudes hints of rose, musk, and myrrh, all the while smelling vaguely cookielike. Sometimes I think this is an un-Caron smelling Caron. Ah, some day I should get a bottle of Nuit de Noel... Now that's classic a Caron Oriental.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 5th January 2008 at 01:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! CIARA! I remember it was an instant sensation...the office I worked in at the time was snowballing with women wearing this potent juice! Seemed like each day another few would be wearing it! Our elevator was like a cloud of sultriness ~ funny cause I don't think it's for the office ~ but everyone was so very taken by this gem. I mean, who would'nt want to smell so downright voluptuous & sexy?!?!

The memories attached to Ciara are as strong as her sillage! I do understand the associations drawn between Ciara and Chantilly, Habanita, and Bal a Versailles but DeeOlive is right...although there are similarities there is nothing quite the same as Ciara! I couldn't agree more, the womanly image Ciara creates is definitely brunette with a darker complexion, Sophia & Gina without a doubt!

This wearing/posting by DeeOlive has also brought to mind another forgotten scent from the same era ~ MAROC. I think Revlon produced this one too. (Man, Revlon sure had a great run during the late 70's/early 80's!!!)

Ciara is a sweet, sultry oriental ~ a winner in every way. Overtly feminine. BTW, I've never known a man who didn't find this one attractive!! Thanks so much DeeOlive for reminding me of this treasure! I'm sure you'll have a 'sexy' day!!! (tehe)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ahhhh those memories Maroc Ultima II 1985 In association with Charles Revson; a rich mossy chypre fragrance & 1986 In association with Revlon; a floral chypre fragrance with notes of bergamot, honey, coriander, geranium, jasmine, orris patchouli, vetiver, civet, moss, rose-wood and musk.
    Discontinued (date unknown)

http://www.perfumeintelligence.co.uk.../m/m2/m2p6.htm
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Apologies Dee, I wasn't turning away from the list you kindly provided (thanks!), I simply hadn't been reading with enough attention. I need all the help I can get with these categories and my first anxious thought was to look for Moondeva's tables which I'd used before.

As it happens I forgot it was Oriental day today, but as I left the house in a hurry I sprayed on Musc Ravageur as it cuts through the nasal congestion I've had for the last few days. MR is an Oriental, so here I am participating by default. I'll choose another Oriental for SotE with a little more thought.
    Sestra! No apologies needed - I wasn't providing a list - I was dithering over my wardrobe... I was really happy that you pointed out her wonderful lists that have descriptions. I am feeling the loss of being able to refer to the bn directory for notes. Twolfs suggestion of almond oriental would have been easy to look up.
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 5th January 2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, gang, I've got a little Zadig on one wrist in honor of today's Oriental Sniff & Speak -- I own a little vial of this discontinued beauty, scored on eBay, because it was one of my Mom's signature scents... a light, elegant, ambery oriental with a little incense kick, reminiscent of Bal a Versailles and to a lesser extent Hermes Rouge.

Also going to be giving a long-overdue full wearing to Guerlain's Vol de Nuit.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Started today's SnS with a new sample (thanks to Lally) of L by Lolita Lempicka.

I will now demonstrate why I don't do reviews:

L: spice and powder. I don't like powder. I don't like L.

I scrubbed and moved on to Allure and Allure Sensuelle. Another demonstration of why I don't do reviews:

Allure: more floral than Allure Sensuelle.
    Allure Sensuelle: spicier than Allure.

Will probably blast myself with Opium for SOTE, in parfum.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

For me it the beautiful Misuki.

Similar to Shalimar in many ways, Misuki is brighter and more floral.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ROFL Chloefpuff
    Luv your review - it reads like an equation: L=P=NOT
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Scurring in before Boss returns - victim of burst water pipes and the computer room closed for repairs - redolent of Tabu - my go-to Oriental. She never ceases to amaze - rich florals and spices, shimmery amber. Yumsters.

Dee
    - thanks for reviving Ciara - I used to clear the room with that when I was in my forties - bet that pretty puppy will sit up just so nice for me now that I'm in my prime!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

This evening I'm wearing Annick Goutal's Encens Flamboyant on my arm. Encens? Just about. Flamboyant? Not even nearly. It sits very close to my skin and is undetectable unless I put my arm right up to my nose. I cannot describe what I smell because it is barely there. Admittedly my nose is slightly bunged up from a fleeting cold, but even so I expected more than this. I applied several strokes of it from the vial's applicator and several more again with my finger. I don't want to apply any more in case I'm wasting it, so I'll wait a week before trying again.

In the meantime I have applied AG's Vanille Exquise to the other arm. I can smell this one loud and clear, and to my nose it exudes more incense than Encens Flamboyant. The incense note is not a smoky one, it is lighter and cleaner than that. The sweetness is much less pronounced than I had anticipated (thankfully), and the woodiness and musc come singing through to give this an edge that stops short of being gourmand. I love it.

The VE is from my little sample vial that is not marked for strength. I suspect it is edt ,though it seems deeper than that at the moment. I applied it approximately 30 minutes ago so I'll see how long it lasts into the evening.
    Last edited by Sestra; 5th January 2008 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

First Oriental of the day- Piguet's Baghari (thanks- Tinks!). Very wearable.
    Notes cribbed from Now Smell This:
    "The new version has been reorchestrated by perfumer Aurelien Guichard, and includes notes of violets, neroli, jasmine, Bulgarian rose, rose centifolia, iris, bergamot, aldehydes, vetiver, amber, vanilla and musk."
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing Opium Pour Homme EDP by YSL (thanks rentboy) - I am almost at the end of my decant bottle and this juice is just about the juiciest Oriental I've ever smelled.

I think some of you women would love this - any of you ladies out there steal this from the man in your life, when he's not looking?

It has a sublime lemon top note that's kept in check with the woods and spices. Perhaps the only other lemon note I've smelled which is so tangy is Geo F. Trumper's Sandalwood: you know, the one that doesn't smell anything like sandalwood at all, and has that epic and fantastic drydown. That smell - I get it a little in Opium PH. I'm interested whether the EDT is as good as this EDP I'm wearing..? Anyone know the answer to this?

I'm headed to the gym...let's see how this Oriental behaves in a sweaty workout.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th January 2008 at 08:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

L'Artisan's Tea for Two. By nose Olivia Giacobetti. mmmmmmm ... Smoky. Spicy. Sweet.

From the L'Artisan website:

"It begins with the curling, rising steam of Lapsung-Souchong tea. All the notes are orchestrated around the smoke and wooded scents to create a more fiery and warmer sensation. The sweet, fresh, spicy facets reveal the delicious delights of honey.
    Both voluptuous and spicy, it is a marvellous tea for your skin!"

From Luscious Cargo.com

"Top notes of gentian, neroli, bergamot and lapsang souchong tea; middle notes of cinnamon, ginger, green anise, smoked tea. Base notes include honey, vanilla and guaiacum wood."

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Post Thanks / Like

biehl parfumkunstwerke - Arturetto Landi - al02

Top: tangerine, citrus, bergamot, peach, plum
    Heart: jasmine, rose, carnation, cardamom, cinnamon
    Base: incense, labdanum, tonka beans, vanilla, vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood

Arturetto Landi’s second fragrance for the Biehl line is an olfactory overload. A dynamic, devilish delight that inspires carnal activities involving various sweet and/or fruity edibles. Luscious fruits, rich florals with cardamom and cinnamon served on a sweet oriental bed. The opening smells of a heavy fruit syrup composed of tangerines, peaches, and plums, which momentarily fazed my senses with its dizzying, intoxicating intensity. Fortunately, the fruit notes calm down and the floral mix of jasmine, rose, and carnation swirl into the mix pulling a healthy dose of cinnamon and cardamon. The heart also contains a doughy accord similar to the one in POTL Luctor et Emergo. The melange of notes in the base lend the scent a sweet, smooth woody feel.

Wearing Al02 is like being caught in a whirlwind. It’s almost as if I can feel the various notes and accords swirling around me. Al02 is a very potent fragrance with longevity measured in days and sillage like a mushroom cloud (use sparingly.) I sprayed directly onto my body for the full effect. For a less intense wearing experience, spray away from the body and walk into the scent allowing it to settle on you.

Al02 works as a very potent weapon of mass seduction (WMS) on me. It's lush, decadent sensual aspects are dazzling and intoxicating. I enjoy wearing it but much prefer it on a woman. Highly recommended.

Sprays:4
    Longevity:12-16 hours plus
    Sillage: High
    File under: Fruityflorientalbomb
    RIYL: People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo, Ginestet Sauvignonne, SL Daim Blond, DelRae Bois de Paradis, Bond Bryant Park, fruit syrup, rich florientals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm wearing Opium Pour Homme EDP by YSL (thanks rentboy) - I am almost at the end of my decant bottle and this juice is just about the juiciest Oriental I've ever smelled.

I think some of you women would love this - any of you ladies out there steal this from the man in your life, when he's not looking?
    He hasn't got it yet But I have worn it before... tis yummy!

A day late and still indecisive! With the Directory down I haven't been able to research which orientals have almond in them but I think Hypnotic Poison had some right?

Ok I finally settled for Addict and Hypnotic Poison... methinks it's a Dior day

Lol love your reviews Chloefpuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Chloefpuff ~ nice job! Don't you know, simple & concise is the way to go! You conveyed your feelings/opinion quite well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Scurring in before Boss returns - victim of burst water pipes and the computer room closed for repairs - redolent of Tabu - my go-to Oriental. She never ceases to amaze - rich florals and spices, shimmery amber. Yumsters.

Dee
    - thanks for reviving Ciara - I used to clear the room with that when I was in my forties - bet that pretty puppy will sit up just so nice for me now that I'm in my prime!!

Oh dear - burst pipes! Are you okay?

Lawdy Miz Scarlet Tao Lady... that Tabu will catch more than Rhett Butler
    Chanakya

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing Jaipur Homme today, one of my top favorites EVER. This is almost perfection. Its soft and cuddly, but bold and sexy all at the same time. Its stunning on a man and makes me all weak in the knees! But then, I wear it and it is mad sexy.

Top Notes: Heliotrope, bergamot, lemon
    Heart Notes: Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove
    Base Notes: Amber, tonka bean, vanilla
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Chloefpuff ~ nice job! Don't you know, simple & concise is the way to go! You conveyed your feelings/opinion quite well.

Thanks! I'm incapable of intelligently saying more, so I don't try. Seems to work.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post

Arturetto Landi’s second fragrance for the Biehl line is an olfactory overload. A dynamic, devilish delight that inspires carnal activities involving various sweet and/or fruity edibles. Luscious fruits, rich florals with cardamom and cinnamon served on a sweet oriental bed. The opening smells of a heavy fruit syrup composed of tangerines, peaches, and plums, which momentarily fazed my senses with its dizzying, intoxicating intensity. Fortunately, the fruit notes calm down and the floral mix of jasmine, rose, and carnation swirl into the mix pulling a healthy dose of cinnamon and cardamon. The heart also contains a doughy accord similar to the one in POTL Luctor et Emergo. The melange of notes in the base lend the scent a sweet, smooth woody feel.
    You really know how to hurt a gal - with descriptions like that - I can almost taste it.
    Where do they have samples (ouch)?
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    You really know how to hurt a gal - with descriptions like that - I can almost taste it.
    Where do they have samples (ouch)?
    I can almost taste it while wearing it. They are currently out of samples at the moment, but Luckyscent carries the line click here.

PM for alternative sources.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Wearing Al02 is like being caught in a whirlwind. It’s almost as if I can feel the various notes and accords swirling around me. Al02 is a very potent fragrance with longevity measured in days and sillage like a mushroom cloud (use sparingly.) I sprayed directly onto my body for the full effect. For a less intense wearing experience, spray away from the body and walk into the scent allowing it to settle on you.

Al02 works as a very potent weapon of mass seduction (WMS) on me. It's lush, decadent sensual aspects are dazzling and intoxicating. I enjoy wearing it but much prefer it on a woman. Highly recommended.

Sprays:4
    Longevity:12-16 hours plus
    Sillage: High
    File under: Fruityflorientalbomb
    RIYL: People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo, Ginestet Sauvignonne, SL Daim Blond, DelRae Bois de Paradis, Bond Bryant Park, fruit syrup, rich florientals.
    This sounds AMAZING! Another one on the must-try list ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chloefpuff View Post
    Started today's SnS with a new sample (thanks to Lally) of L by Lolita Lempicka.

I will now demonstrate why I don't do reviews:

L: spice and powder. I don't like powder. I don't like L.

I scrubbed and moved on to Allure and Allure Sensuelle. Another demonstration of why I don't do reviews:

Allure: more floral than Allure Sensuelle.
    Allure Sensuelle: spicier than Allure.

Will probably blast myself with Opium for SOTE, in parfum.
    That's the fun of samples- realizing you just saved yourself a FORTUNE! LOL Sorry you didn't like- but me neither!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    L'Artisan's Tea for Two. By nose Olivia Giacobetti. mmmmmmm ... Smoky. Spicy. Sweet.

From the L'Artisan website:

"It begins with the curling, rising steam of Lapsung-Souchong tea. All the notes are orchestrated around the smoke and wooded scents to create a more fiery and warmer sensation. The sweet, fresh, spicy facets reveal the delicious delights of honey.
    Both voluptuous and spicy, it is a marvellous tea for your skin!"

From Luscious Cargo.com

"Top notes of gentian, neroli, bergamot and lapsang souchong tea; middle notes of cinnamon, ginger, green anise, smoked tea. Base notes include honey, vanilla and guaiacum wood."
    Am also wearing Tea for Two so will simply say... ditto. BTW- HATED this when I first tried it. Now- yummy.
    Last edited by lally; 6th January 2008 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”

Post Thanks / Like

lally - ya know, I liked it the first time I tried it, but just in that I love the scent of tea but didn't particularly feel like wearing tea and smelling of tea, if you know what I mean. This is the second time I've sampled it and I have to say I'm picking up its layers of sweet honey and spiciness much more so this time.

taolady -- oh no, burst pipes! just spritz with something luscious and chant, "it's gonna be okay, it's gonna be okay..."

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I sniffed and spoke in the wrong place, i.e. Saturday's SOTD!!
    I'm easily confused....
    It was ROMA and you can look up my thoughts on the wrong thread if you like.

Michael, with such a description I am ONE little step away from buying blind!

The new Biehls are on my next list of new samples to order.

I can smell nothing today except the olbas oil inhaler I'm using to cope with the nasal congestion which suddenly got worse overnight. I am drenched in AG's Vanille Exquise all to no avail, I can barely smell it. It sang to me last night, and now it is largely silenced. I may have to give up on frags for a few days.

The new Biehls are on my next list of new samples to order.

I can smell nothing today except the olbas oil inhaler I'm using to cope with the nasal congestion which suddenly got worse overnight. I am drenched in AG's Vanille Exquise all to no avail, I can barely smell it. It sang to me last night, and now it is largely silenced. I may have to give up on frags for a few days.
    Poor thing..
    I love Olbas. Bathed my boys in it, when they were ill...
    Feel better SOON.

Thank you, Chaya. I don't feel ill but the idea of smelling nothing but olbas is a dreary proposition. I don't know how you could love it, but you seem to have the heart to love almost anything.

I've just applied a bit more Vanille Exquise. I can smell the lively opening but it soon disappears. When my nose is uncongested I'm sure to invest in a full bottle of this. How I love the Goutal house, those sweet girlie Petit frags excepted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    LIB, you can order samples from FIF (Aus Liebe zum Duft) from this page. They decanted a healthy 2-2.5 ml spray for each Biehl sample I ordered a few months ago. Hopefully, shipping costs to your location would be much less expensive than to the US.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's Sunday and I'm finally on the scene, wearing a dear, little sweetie, Mira Bai. According to Osmoz, she's an Oriental, but I don't tend to think of her that way. She's just an overall darling with notes of: bergamot, peach, black currant, plum; rosewood, rose, jasmine; vanilla, cedarwood, sandal, and amber.

She's a bit sweet and has an air all her own. The opening is cheery, and the drydown is beyond criticism. I think Mira Bai is a relatively uncommon scent in a world of too many fruity frags. Happily not a high-pitched fragrance, MB has good sillage and a long life that remains interesting throughout.

LIB, you can order samples from FIF (Aus Liebe zum Duft) from this page. They decanted a healthy 2-2.5 ml spray for each Biehl sample I ordered a few months ago. Hopefully, shipping costs to your location would be much less expensive than to the US.
    Thanks, Michael! I DID already... a bunch of biehls (for some, Georg didn't have samples available right now, amongst which the one with the Campari note, ack!) and a bunch of others I wanted to try. Yes, the shipping costs for a sample-only order are very reasonable (5 Euros).

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Hehe! I'm a sick, sick, person. I bought a sample last night on the basis of that review. Wouldn't buy a full bottle though - $165!!! Dying to try it now...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Thank you, Chaya. I don't feel ill but the idea of smelling nothing but olbas is a dreary proposition. I don't know how you could love it, but you seem to have the heart to love almost anything.

I've just applied a bit more Vanille Exquise. I can smell the lively opening but it soon disappears. When my nose is uncongested I'm sure to invest in a full bottle of this. How I love the Goutal house, those sweet girlie Petit frags excepted.

You're teasing me...!
    I don't know- it's just so unabashedly, unapologetically medicinal, I guess.

BTW- I don't know if you've tried the SMN Vaniglia, but I think you'd like it.
    It has a similarly dry, smokiness.
    [PM me, if you like- I'll send you some to try]

I remembered that it was Oriental SnS yesterday, but didn't have time to post.

Yesterday, I wore Bal a Versailles, a true oriental and as oriental as they come. Apparently, this a favourite of Joan Collins and Krystel Carrington's, for those of us who remember the Dynasty days.

I prefer the modern parfum version of this one, much more so over the cheaper EDT version. I also have the vintage version which I purchased from Jaime -- that one is skanky as heck. I'm sure that it was this version that the two lovely dynasty ladies were cat-fighting about. LOL!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Post Thanks / Like

I had a very oriental Saturday- but I didn't have a chance to look up and focus on anything almondy; if I own any such thing.

I don't think that Piguet's Baghari gets anywhere near the attention it merits. It’s lovely and soft and wearable without being too simplistic.

I wore Nuit de Noel parfum for the middle of the day; one of the scents that get locked up during mild weather so I’m indulging while I can. This may be the scent where the edt has the least resemblance to the parfum that I know. I rejected the edt at one spritz (kinda thin and drab and piney to me) and bought the perfume 10 minutes after I tried my first drop. Very vintage (and to me that is a very good thing) in scent and packaging, with a serious dose of Caron’s heavy Mousse de Saxe base. I can only wish that there was an edp available to add a bit more range and striking power to its great tenacity.(Not that it is really lacking- just that I love bombs)

And I went to bed in a cloud of Opium. It is a soup- I don’t think they left anything out of the formula on this, and it is the very definition of a bomb. But I love wearing way too much of it and then not setting a foot outside the door.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    I had a very oriental Saturday- but I didn't have a chance to look up and focus on anything almondy; if I own any such thing.

I don't think that Piguet's Baghari gets anywhere near the attention it merits. It’s lovely and soft and wearable without being too simplistic.

I wore Nuit de Noel parfum for the middle of the day; one of the scents that get locked up during mild weather so I’m indulging while I can. This may be the scent where the edt has the least resemblance to the parfum that I know. I rejected the edt at one spritz (kinda thin and drab and piney to me) and bought the perfume 10 minutes after I tried my first drop. Very vintage (and to me that is a very good thing) in scent and packaging, with a serious dose of Caron’s heavy Mousse de Saxe base. I can only wish that there was an edp available to add a bit more range and striking power to its great tenacity.(Not that it is really lacking- just that I love bombs)

And I went to bed in a cloud of Opium. It is a soup- I don’t think they left anything out of the formula on this, and it is the very definition of a bomb. But I love wearing way too much of it and then not setting a foot outside the door.
    Great prose, Kyra. I love the notion of basking in an abundance of fragrance and confining oneself to house arrest. And that just sparked a funny image in my head of aliens coming to abduct you by dark of night, encountering your cloud of Opium, and then just transmigrating backward in favor of a less-pungent subject.