Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Everything has been discontinued! (or so it seems)

I took a day trip to go shopping in hopes of picking up a bottle or two of fragrance, among other things. I get to the store and ask about a few specific fragrances I was interested in purchasing:

I'm interested in picking up a bottle of Xeryus Rouge... get told "We can't get that anymore, it's been discontinued. But we have xxx which you'll just love!"

So I ask after Chanel Allure pour Homme Edition Blanche, and get told "We can't get that anymore, it's been discontinued, but we have xxx which you'll just love!"

So I ask about Antidote from Victor & Rolf, to which the response is "We can't get that since it's been discontinued, but we have xxx which you'll just love!"

I get frustrated and ask if they have any Cerruti pour Homme. Of course they don't. "It's been discontinued, etc., etc."

Finally I just gave up and left the store without buying anything. The guy kept trying to push Calvin Klein and Lacoste fragrances on me of which I had absolutely no interest in.

Can anyone tell me for sure if the above fragrances have actually been discontinued, or was I just being fed misinformation? This felt like a shopping trip from hell with a good portion of my day utterly wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Everything has been discontinued! (or so it seems)

I heard that about the Chanel EB but I don't know about the rest.

All can probably still be found on Ebay and on some online retail fragrance sites.

I dont think they are discontinueds only cause the store dont have it

it could have been his sales tactic.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a very common dishonest sales tactic. The assumption is that you won't know any better. They want you to buy what they have, not what they don't have (for whatever reason). By the way, she was wrong on all counts:

Xeryus Rouge is available online from a legion of retailers, including Sephora
    Allure Pour Homme Edition Blanche is still available on Chanel's website
    Antidote is still available on Victor and Rolf's (annoying) website
    Cerruti Pour Homme is still available on Cerruti's website
    Griff

Two golden rules:

1) At least 90% of SAs talk utter rubbish. Always take what they say with a pinch of salt.

2) Always shop around. If you can't find a fragrance in one store, it doesn't automatically mean it's unavailable elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I felt it was odd that every single thing I was interested in, they didn't have any of, but then again, I don't really know whats popular in the retail stores. It did seem odd that everything I asked after that they didn't have was supposedly discontinued, but without knowing whether or not it was true before walking in to the store, I really had no way of knowing if I really was being fed a line of B.S. or not. My logic has always been if a store doesn't have it, but can get it, its better to special order it for the customer rather than lose out on a potential sale entirely. I reckon that's just not how some places do their business.

I'm the type that always prefers to buy local in an effort to support the local economy first, but if its really going to be this big a hassle to get what I want from local merchants, I am being left no alternative. I'll start looking into some of these online retailers and see what's what. My biggest concern ordering online is getting something that isn't quite right. I don't want to have a flea-market experience where I wouldn't end up with the genuine product.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My advice - if you know what you want, just buy it offline from any one of the five or six reputable retailers there. Why bother with SAs? They're generally the least knowledgeable when it comes to what they're selling, and insult customer intelligence as if it's part of their training.

Simple response: "gee, that's a shame. I guess I'll have to get it online then. Good luck maintaining your business here."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    It is a very common dishonest sales tactic. The assumption is that you won't know any better. They want you to buy what they have, not what they don't have (for whatever reason). By the way, she was wrong on all counts:

Xeryus Rouge is available online from a legion of retailers, including Sephora
    Allure Pour Homme Edition Blanche is still available on Chanel's website
    Antidote is still available on Victor and Rolf's (annoying) website
    Cerruti Pour Homme is still available on Cerruti's website
    Exactly
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

SA's dont know f**k all about fragrances. I went into a department store the other day asking if they had dior homme intense, i know most likely they didnt carry it but you never know, the SA said they dont sell it but she knows something thatd i enjoy much more and is in the same genre so me going for my own amusement went and she brings me to the Armani counter and tells me to try armani code sport........i think that speaks for itself.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Just left Sephora, and in stock was Chanel Allure Edition Blanche.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    SA's dont know f**k all about fragrances. I went into a department store the other day asking if they had dior homme intense, i know most likely they didnt carry it but you never know, the SA said they dont sell it but she knows something thatd i enjoy much more and is in the same genre so me going for my own amusement went and she brings me to the Armani counter and tells me to try armani code sport........i think that speaks for itself.
    I went to the Dior counter at Saks Fifth Avenue and asked if they had Leather Oud. The SA looked at me as if I had come from outer space and said, "What is that? Leather what? There's no such Dior fragrance as that. But let me show you something else..."

It's shameful really.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SevereWX View Post
    I took a day trip to go shopping in hopes of picking up a bottle or two of fragrance, among other things. I get to the store and ask about a few specific fragrances I was interested in purchasing:

I'm interested in picking up a bottle of Xeryus Rouge... get told "We can't get that anymore, it's been discontinued. But we have xxx which you'll just love!"

So I ask after Chanel Allure pour Homme Edition Blanche, and get told "We can't get that anymore, it's been discontinued, but we have xxx which you'll just love!"

So I ask about Antidote from Victor & Rolf, to which the response is "We can't get that since it's been discontinued, but we have xxx which you'll just love!"

I get frustrated and ask if they have any Cerruti pour Homme. Of course they don't. "It's been discontinued, etc., etc."

Finally I just gave up and left the store without buying anything. The guy kept trying to push Calvin Klein and Lacoste fragrances on me of which I had absolutely no interest in.

Can anyone tell me for sure if the above fragrances have actually been discontinued, or was I just being fed misinformation? This felt like a shopping trip from hell with a good portion of my day utterly wasted.
    What store were you at? Most major stores do not carry these anymore. Not so much because they have been discontinued, but more of "out with the old and in with the new".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Looking at that list I am glad to see those be gone !

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I learned long ago not to talk to major retail SAs at all. I know a lot more than them, period. No reason to rub their face in it.