Code of Conduct

Default Fake Encre Noire around?

Saw this bottle advertised as new for $15 at an auction from a new seller with other very obvious fake items.

So I can assume there are fake encre noires around? It doesn't seem like a popular fragrance, so I am surprised there are fake versions around.

Default Re: Fake Encre Noire around?

Anythings possible. Do you know how it should smell?

True. Even the most obscure scents could if one really wanted to, fake them.

I am looking at that one and my bottles, and on mine, the letters are thinner.

Not yet, but I ordered a sample a few days ago, should be here soon.

Is there anything which looks fake in the picture? Don't really know what to look for, except maybe the white line on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Ah thanks for looking, too bad, that means a few others I found are fakes too.
    Damnit, getting more paranoid every day shopping online.

I doubt its fake. It's a pretty cheap fragrance anyway. Unless this person has a 60 seller rating I don't think we can assume most of their frags are fake. I might be a bit biased since I've never been screwed on my ebay purchases with 5 years of use - except one tennis racquet.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Look at the "Encre Noir" on the bottle...if the paint is white with little silver sparkles then it's real. I can't tell from my screen though.

But you never know what these guys do. They could take a bottle that's 5% full and fill the rest with tap water. There's no sense if you don't trust the guy. Spend the extra 15 and get it from somewhere you trust.

Anything is possible, but this doesn't seem like a likely candidate for a fake. The scent is pretty inexpensive due to its lack of popularity. Thus, not much profit potential for fakes.

Nothing in the pic looks unauthentic (though pics are hard to judge).

For what it's worth, I think some ebay sellers sell authentic scents along with fakes. I bought a fake TdH on there, and the seller seemed to also be selling authentic bottles (judging by his feedback).

Quote Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
    Is there a way to tell if Creed fragrances are fake as well? I want to buy a replacement bottle of Green Irish Tweed, but the department store I bought it from is no longer there. Any recommendations?
    Simple. Buy from an authorised retailer.

Well, from traveling around a lot, and being on many perfume markets that sell fakes, I can tell you that pretty much every designer fragrance out there is faked. I've even seen victoria secret fragrances faked.

And I think the letters on an authentic encre noire are thinner.

I think the best advice is to only buy from trusted sources, and if not, then proceed with great caution. If you happen to buy from an ebay seller with thousands of positive reviews, and it works out - great. Add that seller to your trusted list.

I find buying off of basenoters is a great way to get really good prices from people who have a higher level of trustworthiness. If someone contributes a lot, has a fair amount of positive feedback, and has been part of the community for a while, then at least you have some sense of who they are as a person. I think that makes a difference.

I doubt anyone is manufacturing fakes of it, it's not even really that well known on these boards so I doubt it's in any sort of demand. Someone might have gotten their hands on an empty bottle and tried to refill it, but I doubt anyone would bother to make a fake bottle as anyone who would be buying it would most likely be someone who is knowledgeable enough to be wary of fakes

The letters are thinner indeed on mine as well. + Encre Noire is cheap, why would you 'risk' buying it from eBay ?
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I doubt it's fake as this can be had new for 30 bucks at a few online stores

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    yeah, thinner and the font color is not white, kind of metallic gray or silver..
    no great shakes but good enough..

I would say that the original letters are thinner and the "Lalique" written on the cover is not painted...