Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Choose your favorite contemporary nose.

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michel Almairac

1 1.11%
  • Pierre Bourdon

2 2.22%
  • Christopher Brosius

1 1.11%
  • Jacques Cavallier

2 2.22%
  • Olivier Creed

20 22.22%
  • Isabelle Doyen

2 2.22%
  • Bertrand Duchaufour

3 3.33%
  • Jean Claude Ellena

15 16.67%
  • Anne Flipo

0 0%
  • Olivia Giacobetti

9 10.00%
  • Sophia Grojsman

1 1.11%
  • Jean-Paul Guerlain

2 2.22%
  • Francis Kurkdjian

2 2.22%
  • Antoine Lie

0 0%
  • Annick Menardo

6 6.67%
  • Alberto Morillas

0 0%
  • Jacques Polge

10 11.11%
  • Dominique Ropion

1 1.11%
  • Maurice Roucel

5 5.56%
  • Christopher Sheldrake

8 8.89%
    Off-Scenter

Default Your Favorite Contemporary Nose

I'm sure I've missed some, but hey, there's only room for twenty. Some may be recently retired or deceased, but all have been active from the '80s to the present.

At this particular moment my vote goes to Olivia Giacobetti, by the way.
    --------------------------------------
    Dope slap!!!

I managed to leave out Olivia Giacobetti. Anyone know if and how you can edit a poll?
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 2nd January 2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Re: Your Favorite Contemporary Nose

I voted for Mr. Roucel, Iris Silver Mist, Musc Ravageur, Lalique pour Homme, etc. He's equally at home with niche and mass and makes it smell so effortless. My write in is the same as yours, Ms. Giacobetti.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd January 2008 at 05:16 PM.

My top three:

1. Olivier Creed (Baie de Geneivre, Fleurs de Bulgarie, Neroli Sauvage, Bois du Portugal, Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Imperial, Erolfa, Feuille Verte)

2. JC Ellena (Terre D' Hermes, au The Verte, Rose Poivree, Declaration, Bois d'Iris, Ambre Narguille, Van Cleef First)

3. Olivia Giacobetti (Dzing!, Philosykos, Tea for Two, Idole, Hiris, Costes, Essence of Galliano)
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    At this particular moment my vote goes to Olivia Giacobetti.
    Ditto

Basenotes Institution

I voted for God (aka JC Ellena).

Represent!!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd January 2008 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I voted for God (aka JC Ellena).

Represent!!
    "Watch ye mere mortals as I waggle two scent strips containing leather and benzoin notes infront of your unworthy noses and voila! The scent of the Hermes bag! Now worship me by buying my holy juice ye peasants!"
    -

Jean Claude Ellena is my favorite followed closely by Olivia Giacobetti, Christopher Sheldrake, Annick Menardo, Daphne Bugey, Mark Buxton, and Maurice Roucel.

Honorable Mention: Serena Ava Franco (Kama, Ambra Tibet, Rasa, No. 23., Madame X)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Oliver Creed. Bois du Portugal if nothing else.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    "Watch ye mere mortals as I waggle two scent strips containing leather and benzoin notes infront of your unworthy noses and voila! The scent of the Hermes bag! Now worship me by buying my holy juice ye peasants!"
    Actually, it was Roudnitska's Eau d'Hermes that was supposed to smell like an Hermes bag.

I've put Olivia Giacobetti into the poll.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I've put Olivia Giacobetti into the poll.
    Thanks! That's well beyond the call of duty!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Actually, it was Roudnitska's Eau d'Hermes that was supposed to smell like an Hermes bag.
    I think he's referring to the other leather bag wannabe, JCE's Kelly Caleche.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I think he's referring to the other leather bag wannabe, JCE's Kelly Caleche.
    I stand corrected! Of course how many fragrances that smell like an Hermes bag can they release? Wait, I know! They can commission sixteen of the great contemporary noses to each create their own personal interpretation of the "Hermes bag" smell...oh wait, nevr mind, that's Frederic Malle.

I voted JCE

Thumbs up Re: Your Favorite Contemporary Nose

I voted for Bertrand Duchaufour.

ALLEZ JEAN-CLAUDE ELLENA!
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Ugh! This poll is difficult for a newbie like me without access to the BN directory to refresh my memory (and a bad one at that!).

Later: there is a nice list of noses on the NowSmellThis website.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Since Lorenzo Villoresi isn't on the list, I went for Olivia G.

I've voted for "Jacques Cavallier" and my next choice is "Alberto Morillas". Also I have a positive image of "Christopher Sheldrake", but don't remember why!
    I'm heavily against "Pierre Bourdon", because he has copied joop homme (in MontBlanc Individuel) and Creed's GIT (in cool water).
    Let me criticize "Jacques Polge" for one of his latest products: "Apparition" by Ungaro, which is very cheap and valueless.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would recommend adding the following names:
    -Pierre Guillaume
    -Micheal Girard
    -Carlos Benaim (Who won Lifetime Achievement Award by the American Society of Perfumers in 2004)

Great poll, though I'm sure the most familiar name will win.

Another vote here for Olivia Giacobetti, though I admit I'm not intimately familiar with some of the artists here. I appreciate Ellena, but he has been in a creative rut for a while, I think.

Also Maurice Roucel, if only for Musc Ravageur.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I voted for Jacques Polge! His six new fragrances for Chanel are true works of art! Since Andy Tauer, Lyn Harris, Vero Kern, Patricia de Nicolai and Pierre Montale aren´t on the list my next choice would have been J.P. Guerlain or Dominique Ropion. Perhaps I would have voted for J.C. Ellena but I found "Un Brin de Reglisse" and "Kelly Caleche" a bit disappointing and the typical Ellena-minimalism-theme a bit tiresome over the years..

Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    I've voted for "Jacques Cavallier" and my next choice is "Alberto Morillas". Also I have a positive image of "Christopher Sheldrake", but don't remember why!
    I'm heavily against "Pierre Bourdon", because he has copied joop homme (in MontBlanc Individuel) and Creed's GIT (in cool water).
    Let me criticize "Jacques Polge" for one of his latest products: "Apparition" by Ungaro, which is very cheap and valueless.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would recommend adding the following names:
    -Pierre Guillaume
    -Micheal Girard
    -Carlos Benaim (Who won Lifetime Achievement Award by the American Society of Perfumers in 2004)
    Allow me to make a small correction here. Apparition pour homme (and I believe the intense version) was NOT made by Jacques Polge(mr.Chanel), but by Olivier Polge (his son?)

Thanks very much.

Oh, and I'm not sure the Jean Paul Guerlain belongs is this poll together with all these other mortals.
    The Guerlain familly set French perfume on the map as far as I'm concerned. They are "the kings that rule them al"l and a part of French perfume history.
    Jean Paul Guerlain set an example for most modern Vetivers,when he was only 19 years old,for most modern vetivers made made today by perfumers , including Elena. and Habit Rouge was made 3 years before I was born.

Jean Claude Elena does a good job though and I admire him for being almost the opposite of Guerlains creations, with his minimalistic aproach. Still I believe hes slightly overrated . but he deserves it.
    So, my vote goes to Guerlain and Elena.

Olivier Creed in the lead? What a world, what a world.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Since Lorenzo Villoresi isn't on the list, I went for Olivia G.
    Since Andy Tauer, Lyn Harris, Vero Kern, Patricia de Nicolai and Pierre Montale aren´t on the list my next choice would have been J.P. Guerlain or Dominique Ropion.

Told ya I'd manage to miss some important ones! Particularly silly of me, since I enjoy many Villoresi scents! Pierre Montale, Andy Tauer, and Patricia de Nicolai are all extremely talented of course, and all fell victim to the 20 alternative limit on polls. Perhaps an additional poll on "independent" nose-parfumeurs is in order: names like Aftel, Tauer, Moriel, Hurwitz, Franco, etc.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 2nd January 2008 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Olivier Creed in the lead? What a world, what a world.
    Well he's the only MASTER perfumer in the list .

But seriously, I think the creator of Bois du Portugal, GIT, Acier Aluminium, Royal Delight, SMW etc. pp. is a serious contender and he got my vote (Villoresi would have been another choice. I seem to like people who work outside the system).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I voted for Christopher Brosius because I figured not to many people would. Technically as shown with his CB I Hate Perfume line and especially the work he did at Demeter, I'd say he's a genius.

As a fanatic Lutensite, Christopher Sheldrake got my vote. But I fear that's only because Pierre Guillaume isn't among the choices
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Well he's the only MASTER perfumer in the list .

But seriously, I think the creator of Bois du Portugal, GIT, Acier Aluminium, Royal Delight, SMW etc. pp. is a serious contender and he got my vote (Villoresi would have been another choice. I seem to like people who work outside the system).
    I agree, he plays by his own rules. Royal Delight is as close to perfection as it gets and SMW certainly possesses true genius. I admit, it's hard for me to think out of the Grasse box.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd January 2008 at 05:29 PM.

I voted for Isabelle Doyen because she's got such a pretty name and because no one has mentioned her yet.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Tom Ford?

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    Tom Ford?
    To the best of my knowledge not a "nose" per se, but a fashion designer/artistic director. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 2nd January 2008 at 07:46 PM.

Wink Re: Your Favorite Contemporary Nose

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Allow me to make a small correction here. Apparition pour homme (and I believe the intense version) was NOT made by Jacques Polge(mr.Chanel), but by Olivier Polge (his son?)

Thanks very much.
    Thanks, their names are very similar! I confused their names, and there was a problem for me, why a great perfumer lik J.Polge made a cheap perfume for Ungaro!
    LoL!
    Based on a program in DW TV, which was about the process of making CHANEL NO.5, and the explanations of J.Polge in that program, I had a very good image of him. But then I confused his name with the designer of Apparition and the good image destroyed. Now I see him as a great perfumer again. But he is not in my top noses list anyway!

Am I the only one who misses Pierre Montale?
    And 59 votes by now, but none for Francis Kurkdjian ? - It's time to change that

(Ignoring Lorenzo Villoresi and Pierre Montale - you are in good company, Vibert. Luca Turin has been guilty of that also.
    But it's a brilliant idea to start and discuss perfumers' merits, congrats!)
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd January 2008 at 04:19 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Re: Your Favorite Contemporary Nose

Am I the only one who misses Jean Laporte? He, Villoresi and Tauer are all huge favourites of mine.

From that list, I voted for Dominique Ropion, just for creating Carnal Flower and Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Nice thread VIBERT! Wish I could have voted for my top ten!!!!! So hard to choose just one...

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Am I the only one who misses Jean Laporte? He, Villoresi and Tauer are all huge favourites of mine.

From that list, I voted for Dominique Ropion, just for creating Carnal Flower and Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    No, I assure you you're not, but I have the sense he hasn't been very directly active as a nose of late. I could be wrong.

Difficult for just one, but I opted for Jean Claude Ellena over Olivier Creed.

Creed with Sheldrake a close second.

my heros are :
    1. Sophia Grojsman
    2. Pierre Bourdon
    3. Olivia Giacobetti
    & i love Jacques Cavallier for few early creations only such as Opium ph, Poeme, NU, Kingdom, M7 & L'Eau d'Issey , while the charcater oh his recent creations have turned more on the commercial side
    Last edited by tariq; 6th January 2008 at 08:11 AM.

Annick Menardo... Yay for Hypnotic Poison, Lolita Lempicka and Body Kouros!

I wish we could vote for several of them at the same time.
    but I chose Olivia G

Yann Vasnier
    Lovesick the wind that carries it