Code of Conduct

Smile What elusive scent are you searching for?

Since I am in the beginning of my scent journey I have lots and lots to try and will have fun doing it.

I have found several everyday wear scents mostly for spring/summer but a nice winter/fall scent would be nice. I have a mini bottle of Givenchy Pi. Not sure if that fits the bill...

I am also looking for an evening/more sophisticated scent. I'm not sure what it is, perhaps somewhat floral but not too perfumey smelling. I can't put my finger on it but when I find it I'll know

I had this idea the I would find ONE scent that would fit me perfectly....how wrong I was...lol...why limit myself to one Different moods require different scents....

So are you looking for that elusive scent(s)?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.
    Carl Jung
    Swiss psychologist (1875 - 1961)

Default Re: What elusive scent are you searching for?

No, I just want a small carefully selected scent wardrobe that covers most occasions and gives me some variety.

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    No, I just want a small carefully selected scent wardrobe that covers most occasions and gives me some variety.

After being a perfume addict for years, that is what I've decided to do.I I've given away some of the perfumes that I had and am eventually scaling down to just a few. Simplifying, if you will.

Simplifying? This sounds good in theory, but in practice I think I would just give lovely gifts and run out and replace my missing treasures. I have done this after passing a scent along to someone who would enjoy it "more than me".

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I have a particular lemon blossom scent in my head. After plowing through a boodle of samples, I'm fairly pleased with Bourbon French Eleftorea, but there's still this quality that eludes me. I attain it at moments by washing with B&BW's lemon kitchen hand soap and wearing La Chasse aux Papillons.

There was a creamy pink peony scent I enjoyed in soap form (discontinued by Pre de Provence) and would love to find in a juice.

Sometimes I want a mildly sweet purple scent, but that one has really eluded me. Opening notes of Paco Rabanne's Ultraviolet were promising, but ...

Like you say, cailan, as with artwork, we know what we like when we see it/smell it.

I want a weird, wonderful, funky patchouli along the lines of Tom Ford's Purple Patchouli, but w/o the outrageous price tag.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I'd like the perfect amber, not too sweet, but not too medicinal. Cozy without being cloying. Something that pleases my nose and will also please others. Have tried many, but can't quite commit to anything yet.

I have a habit of buying a lot of scents that are rather similar in their composition, or buying on whim and later not being quite so thrilled by my purchases. I would like to hone a smaller collection of scents that all truely appeal to me and that represent different genres, occasions and seasons.

That signature scent! I feel like such a fragrance playgirl. I just want to settle down, but I have wandering eyes (nose?)
    Last edited by bernat; 2nd January 2008 at 05:35 PM.
    "Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them." Benjamin Disraeli

That is what started me out on this journey of scent...looking for the perfect one. I discovered that even if I fall hard for a perfume, I will never recapture the first blush of infatuation again after so many wears. Hey, same thing happens with romantic partners come to think of it

I just enjoy my scents now and enjoy discovering new ones but I've dropped the expectation that I had for what a perfume could ultimately offer me.

I have discovered in my sniffing bonanza that I like certain families of scent better than others, but this is as narrow as my exploration (better word than search) takes me now, for the most part.

I have yet to find a perfume that accurately captures the divine fragrance of Brown Boronia, Boronia megastigma. I've purchased several Australian scents that claim that they replicate this Aussie native plant, but all have fallen short. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Blog Entries

I'm still searching for a scent that really captures Datura - the most wonderful scent in my evening garden during the summer. I've tried both Secrete Datura, and Datura Noir - and though I bought Datura Noir and now really like it - it wasn't because it evoked datura.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

What type of Datura are you trying to replicate? We have several growing here that have distinctively different scents?

Blog Entries

The white "Gabriel's Trumpet" also called "Flor de Campana " in Puerto Rico.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

My elusive scents;
    Iris Gris by Jacques Fath,
    and, Dior Dior by Christian Dior

I love the smell of blooming pink lotus and nectaring bush peonies. Light, floral, fresh with lively lemony tones. Maybe with a hint of gardenia's floral coconut undertone.

I am forever longing for the elsuive one, and the harder I search, the more elsuive it becomes.

Amber, rose, and incense. They lure me to the rocks like Sirens.

I want something for summer that is not too flowery, girly, aquatic, or citrusy that is refreshing enough to wear when it is blazing, but still has the oriental/animalitic/chypre feel that I love and feel comfortable in. I equate it with my clothing wardrobe: I wear long skirts, heels, and fitted tops ALWAYS, and my color palate is generally jewel toned and dark. In the summer I wear sandals, in the winter I wear boots, but my general style is always the same~ a kind of tailored bohemian.

Any suggestions are greatly welcomed!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

This is a bit different - I was in Zurich in the summer of 1980 (briefly) and it seemed that every woman
    was wearing the same lovely heavy floral scent. Anybody know what it was?
    Somebody said it might have been Flora Danica, but that didn't seem to be it. At least on me.
    Last edited by vezerne; 21st January 2008 at 09:58 PM.