Code of Conduct

Default Finally finding Guerlains that I love...gulp!

This time last year I was scratching my head at all the fuss over Guerlain, feeling that Caron was infinitely more beautiful and classy.
    Today I am here to eat my words.

Habit Rouge turned me.
    And then Jicky converted me.
    Shalimar parfum strength seduced me.
    L'Heure Blue enchanted me.
    Attrape Coeur has captured me.
    Mitsouko continues to have her way with me (that b*tch!)
    and now...
    Plus Que Jamais, aptly named "More than Ever," has brought me to my knees.
    wow.

PQJ is a toffee splendour that doesn't seem gourmand, but rather, elegant. And mouthwatering. WHY does it have to be $300 plus a bottle. and limited edition at that? I think I have to release the idea of owning some of these gorgeous creations and revel in the experience of , well, experiencing them, even if it is fleeting.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 2nd January 2008 at 12:59 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Finally finding Guerlains that I love...gulp!

...you can't be blamed for having great taste!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    ...you can't be blamed for having great taste!!
    It's the company I have been keeping namely, you all!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Urgh, I know what you mean. I've been Jonesing Jicky ever since you sent me that sample! But at £170 a bottle, I'm not sure if my wallet can handle it right now.
    And then there's three or four Carons I would cheerfully add to my wardrobe. Grrr!

Blog Entries

We, the Guerlain addicts welcome you with open arms Renee
    But you ain't done yet ....lots more Guerlains to go ....
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

The best buy on the women's market, or at least one of the very best buys on the women's market, has to be Shalimar in its edp form. It's gorgeous, long lasting, sexy, affordable and timeless.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I'm getting there as well. While I have yet to experience the vast majority of the Guerlains, my favorite new scent that I HAVE tried is Mentafolia. I am looking forward to sampling more as time goes on!

Lally
    The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”

Wearing Plus Que Jamais...the drydown is reminding me of Sweet Oriental Dream!
    but softer. with flowers mixed in and not as spicy.
    anyone else get this?

Ah, another obsessive. Welcome to the club. It's just too easy to get pulled in by them isn't it? Damn clever chaps these Guerlains. I'm currently in Vol De Nuit Evasion, which is like Attrape Coeur but with a dose of Mitsouko's peaches too. And of course it's only available in duty free outlets like airports... (though for 46€ a bottle not as much of an investment as PQJ!!!)
    Suspect you'd love it.
    Sorry, sorry, sorry...
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by lally View Post
    I'm getting there as well. While I have yet to experience the vast majority of the Guerlains, my favorite new scent that I HAVE tried is Mentafolia. I am looking forward to sampling more as time goes on!

Lally
    Of all the Guerlains i got , this is the one that gets the most use from me, and it's absolutely great when used in -very- warm weather.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Of all the Guerlains i got , this is the one that gets the most use from me, and it's absolutely great when used in -very- warm weather.
    All of the Aqua Allegoria fragrances created by Jean Paul Guerlain:

Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours
    Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica
    Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca
    Aqua Allegoria Mentafolia
    Aqua Allegoria Ylang & Vanille
    Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune

are really excellent fragrances. I think Lavande Velours, Herba Fresca, and definitely Mentafolia are outstanding fragrances. I will confirm that when one wears Mentafolia in the summertime heat, and humidity even, it literally blooms into a gorgeous enveloping floral herbal bloom. There's a strong jasmine heart there, certainly bolstered by Hedione--a superb fragrance.

You should try the Mentafolia R. It will enchant you, for sure.

scentemental

Basenotes Institution

PQJ sounds divine Renee - thanks for sharing.

Toffee in amongst flowers huh? How cool is that!

Pre-Basenotes I never knew what the fuss about Guerlains was. Took me awhile but I'm now starting to appreciate them. Had intended to buy a bottle of Champs Elysees except I couldn't find it... oh well I'm broke at the moment anyway.

I've always loved Guerlains. First it was Jicky and Mitsouku,
    then I fell for Shalimar and L'Heure Bleu, then I became obsessed with
    AA Flora Nerolia and finally I bought Mahora in TKMAXX for peanuts.
    They all radiate that certain Gallic magic, that "Je ne sais quoi?"
    The only one I have tried that failed to grab my attention was Jardins
    de Bagatelle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Ah, another obsessive. Welcome to the club. It's just too easy to get pulled in by them isn't it? Damn clever chaps these Guerlains. I'm currently in Vol De Nuit Evasion, which is like Attrape Coeur but with a dose of Mitsouko's peaches too. And of course it's only available in duty free outlets like airports... (though for 46€ a bottle not as much of an investment as PQJ!!!)
    Suspect you'd love it.
    Sorry, sorry, sorry...
    sympathies accepted, wordbird.
    and Vol de Nuit Evasion is another sample I tried (again from the evil Dee) and agree with your description. darn it.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

are really excellent fragrances. I think Lavande Velours, Herba Fresca, and definitely Mentafolia are outstanding fragrances. I will confirm that when one wears Mentafolia in the summertime heat, and humidity even, it literally blooms into a gorgeous enveloping floral herbal bloom. There's a strong jasmine heart there, certainly bolstered by Hedione--a superb fragrance.

scentemental
    ah, scentemental, my love, where hath thou art been?
    thank you for the recommendation. you seem to know my nose, so I am sure it's a good one.
    I must post thiis link here in this Guerlain thread.
    see below link to humorous story about PQJ:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122001093.html
    mike, I bet you'd love this one.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 3rd January 2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blog Entries

Evil Dee wants to pay a certain person back for getting her addicted to Jicky
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post

Evil Dee wants to pay a certain person back for getting her addicted to Jicky
    LOL sweet revenge, eh? well, perhaps I deserve it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    Pre-Basenotes I never knew what the fuss about Guerlains was. Took me awhile but I'm now starting to appreciate them. Had intended to buy a bottle of Champs Elysees except I couldn't find it... oh well I'm broke at the moment anyway.
    Chin up Jillsy - your samples go into the mail tomorrow - I got delayed by snow and frozen pipes but am back on track

I am thankful that my introduction to Guerlain's was love at first sniff (L'Heure Bleue) many years ago- and that I've not as yet found one I can't wear - or don't like (have avoided the new releases - other than the AA series, which are nice splashes). I am hoping that the house is able to survive the buyout -and though many folks have predicted their downfall - there are plenty of Guerlain's left for me to explore- next on my list is Attrape-Coeur (Guet-Apens) and Angelique Noir.
    Chanakya

I'm in great company here! Feel right at home!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Guerlain fragrances are truly magic, I especially adore Djedi and Vega. Unfortunately they are becoming quite the investments, for the classic re-issues that is. After the Djedi and Vega I could not justify the Eau Hegemonienne, school loans and such to pay off. But a part of me still would love to splurge on Sous le vent, a relative bargain at $250 compared to the $1250 for the others

I'm new-ish to guerlain's myself. I got a miniatures set from my partner's mother about 6 years ago. I tried them all, some a few times, and then left them. But after joining here and reading the reviews I have decided to retry.

Samsara - ok so far
    AA Pamplelune - not my usual thing, but seems to work as an off-beat change
    Shalimar - so far sickly and powdery
    Mitsuko - so far sickly and powdery
    Champs Elysee - pretty nice but smells a bit powdery sometime.

I tried sprays of Jicky (sickly) and Cherry Blossom last week. I really liked Cherry Blossom but it vanished from my skin within an hour. They only had EDT at the department store, is it available in stronger formulations?

I haven't seen Vol de Nuit or L'Heure Bleu at all, so I haven't been able to try them.

if I have a problem with aldehydes (Chanel 5 / Youth Dew etc - that my mother wears- all give me headaches and nausea - are there any Guerlains that don't have them. Other than the Aqua Allegoria series which I presume doesn't really.

My favorite aunt wore Shalimar, I was married in Champs Elysee, and now that I know I love chypres, I must try Mitsouko (should I buy the edt for $12 blind or wait to get a sample of the edp?). I took the Guerlain quiz on their website last night and it says I need to try:

Insolence
    I'Instant (honey, magnolia and amber...I want to love it!)
    L'heure Bleur (I do so love tuberose and tonka!)
    and Nahema (hyacinth...like being a little girl on Easter Sunday? peach and vanilla)

I have spent years away from the department store perfume counters (they just left me cold in the 90's)...and NOW I have temptation to go back!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

scentemental

Gotta try this in the heat. In the A/C it's a cute mint for work and stays that way. Something to look forward to.

The AAs typically don't thrill me but I bought them at the 14.99 TJ price. Same for the Eaux.

The Guerlains are consistent winners for me, always wild for LHB, VdN, and Shalimar, got Samsara when it arrived on the scene (it seems so serene), rediscovered Mitsouko and Jicky in my 30s and picked up a yen for Chamade, Apres L'Ondee and Liu quite recently.

Glad you found lovable Guerlains RT!

One of my favorite Guerlains, which doesn't get much attention or credit, is AA Anisia Bella. Anise is a great note for me & in Anisia Bella it is absolutely fresh and breezy.

I absolutely adore Parure, and Chant d'arome. Both are quit unique, and I adore them. Oh and Apres l'ondee also.

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    I must try Mitsouko (should I buy the edt for $12 blind or wait to get a sample of the edp?).
    For Mitsouko, the edt is so very different than the edp or the parfum, that you should wait and try one of those.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

I spent yesterday in my final drops of Attrappe Coeur. oh dear god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    For Mitsouko, the edt is so very different than the edp or the parfum, that you should wait and try one of those.
    Ah, yes, just what I need: an excuse to go back to the perfume counter! LOL!
    Well, I had some free time yesterday so I hunted down the Guerlain counter! There was only one drop of Mitsouko EDT left, so I sprayed it on a card. It was very sharp, but undernieth I could sence the creaminess, the depth...even my husband who hates most comercial fragrances said, "THAT is nice. But it seems like really weak, good coffee...". I asked if there was an EDP. "No". I told her that the tester was out. "That is all we have", she said blankly. I asked for samples. She did not even look, just replied that they had none.

No matter. DH wants me to order the EDP for my birthday. I'll be 30. I am so very happy!

I am going to wait to really review it untill after I have worn it several times, but I am so in love! I figure that if I like the EDT I will love the EDP, since that is what the reviews imply: creamier, less sharp, more depth and peach. I cannot belive how classic this scent is and I had never smelled it or even heard of it before comming here. Thank you everyone!
    Last edited by lookingglass; 11th January 2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer