Code of Conduct

Default Saw some new vetivers on Luckyscent, has anyone had any experience with them?

With it being the New Year I've decided to spring and treat myself to a new non mass market scent. I went on to Luckyscent and found the note search feature which I've somehow managed to miss before, and looked up anything with vetiver. I came across a few scents I've never seen mentioned before, and with the reviews board down I was wondering if anyone could offer some insight before I request samples:

Bursch by Aqua di Bella
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...25503&section=

Vetiver Ambrato by Bois 1920
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...37600&section=

Vetiver de Jave by Il Profumo
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...28907&section=

Le Vetiver by Lubin
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...31203&section=

Querelle by Parfume Generale
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...34513&section=

Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...36110&section=

I'm going to get samples first of course due to insane pricing but I'd still like to know if anyone has any experience with these!

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Saw some new vetivers on Luckyscent, has anyone had any experience with them?

I tried the Lubin and found it underwhelming, especially coming after Idole.

Default Re: Saw some new vetivers on Luckyscent, has anyone had any experience with them?

Quote Originally Posted by barnstormer View Post
    With it being the New Year I've decided to spring and treat myself to a new non mass market scent. I went on to Luckyscent and found the note search feature which I've somehow managed to miss before, and looked up anything with vetiver. I came across a few scents I've never seen mentioned before, and with the reviews board down I was wondering if anyone could offer some insight before I request samples:

Bursch by Aqua di Bella
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...25503&section=

Vetiver Ambrato by Bois 1920
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...37600&section=

Vetiver de Jave by Il Profumo
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...28907&section=

Le Vetiver by Lubin
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...31203&section=

Querelle by Parfume Generale
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...34513&section=

Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...36110&section=

I'm going to get samples first of course due to insane pricing but I'd still like to know if anyone has any experience with these!
    barnstormer,

I have tried them all. I won't ever buy any of them. I bought a bottle of Idole's Le Vetiver blind on the strength of Idole de Lubin and found it an utter disappointment. I am still formulating my judgment on my Lubin's L'Eau Neuve. Lubin's Le Vetiver dries down to a horrid BO smell. Atrocious, at least on my skin. Very hard to see why it's called vetiver.

If you haven't tried any of the following vetiver fragrances, don't waste your time on any of the Luckyscent "vetivers" is my advice. I'd start with them first before I'd spend a cent on samples of the ones available from Luckyscent. Try any from this following list, and you're bound to find more than one great vetiver scent:

1.Adolofo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    2.Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    3.Carolina Herrera Herrera for Men Sensual Vetiver
    4.Carven Vétiver (2006 reformulation)
    5.Comme des Garçons Vettiveru EDC
    6.Creed Original Vetiver EDP
    7.Creed Vetiver (1948)
    8.Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire
    9.Floris Vetiver
    10.Givenchy Vetyver (2007 reformulation)
    11.Guerlain Vetiver EDC (vintage formulation)
    12.Guerlain Vetiver EDT (vintage formulation)
    13.Guerlain Vetiver EDT (current reformulation)
    14.Hermès Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka
    15.Kenzo KenzoAir
    16.Lanvin Vetyver
    17.Le Labo Vetiver 46
    18.L’Occitane Vétyver (vintage)
    19.Loewe Pour Homme
    20.Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Racine
    21.Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Route de Vétiver
    22.Mazzolari Vetiver
    23.Parfums de Nicolaï Vetyver
    24.The Different Company Sel de Vétiver

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 3rd January 2008 at 03:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Querelle's one of the best fragrances I own.

Post Thanks / Like

I own and love Il Profumo's Vetiver de Java and Lutens' Vetiver Oriental and I have a sample of Ambrato.

Vetiver de Java is one of my favorites, but it's the wrong choice if you're looking for a powerful vetiver. It's a subtle, elegant, close-to-the body scent with great floral notes - the name is thus somewhat misleading.

Lutens is oriental indeed. It has a wonderful, distinct vetiver note set within the rococo opulence of iris, cocoa, gaiac, sandalwood and patchouli - rich, but not as drippingly sweet as other Lutens fragrances.

While I loved Sandalo e The (which has no BO note on me at all), Vetiver Ambrato did not leave much of an impression.

May I suggest you try Villoresi's powerhouse Vetiver? L'Occitane's Vetyver is phenomenal at the price and for a fresh barbershop vetiver nothing beats Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver hombre. Etro is also not bad.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    In that case, I will have to give Querelle another serious try, perhaps even buy a decant of it.

scentemental

Nice, I like Vetiver based scents.

Specially that Vetiver de Java from IL PROFUMO looks very promising to me. I will try to get me a sample of that one ASAP.

Oh, and I agree with the_good_life, if you want raw power, try the Villoresi, it's BRUTAL!

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    barnstormer,

1.Adolofo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    2.Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    3.Carolina Herrera Herrera for Men Sensual Vetiver
    4.Carven Vétiver (2006 reformulation)
    5.Comme des Garçons Vettiveru EDC
    6.Creed Original Vetiver EDP
    7.Creed Vetiver (1948)
    8.Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire
    9.Floris Vetiver
    10.Givenchy Vetyver (2007 reformulation)
    11.Guerlain Vetiver EDC (vintage formulation)
    12.Guerlain Vetiver EDT (vintage formulation)
    13.Guerlain Vetiver EDT (current reformulation)
    14.Hermès Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka
    15.Kenzo KenzoAir
    16.Lanvin Vetyver
    17.Le Labo Vetiver 46
    18.L’Occitane Vétyver (vintage)
    19.Loewe Pour Homme
    20.Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Racine
    21.Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Route de Vétiver
    22.Mazzolari Vetiver
    23.Parfums de Nicolaï Vetyver
    24.The Different Company Sel de Vétiver

scentemental

Thank you so much for saving me from an ill advised purchase. I have a love hate relationship with luckyscent, whoever writes their product descriptions is a genius who makes everything sound like it's an orgasm every time you spray.

Looking through the list I see a couple that I'm familiar with and have some question about:

Carven's Vetiver: Is it any stronger than the original? The original was a very pleasant light scent with zero longevity for me, has that improved any?

What is Lanvin's offering like? Similar to Guerlain's Vetiver maybe?

I'm looking for a strong vetiver that isn't too light and ethereal if that makes any sense.

How are the longevity on the Creeds? My skin eats Creeds alive, BDP is pretty much the only one that lasts more than 4 or 5 hours on me. Erolfa hits 5, SMW about 4, Himalya I'm lucky to get 3.

After the strength of New York, I might just buy Parfum De Nicolai's offering blind, the description on beautyhabit sounds promising. I'm very curious about Racine too.

Also thank you for mentioning Idole, I hadn't even looked at that one but it sounds intriguing!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

The only two I have smelled on your list barnstormer are the Lubin and the Querelle. I smelled both of them when I was at Scent Bar (Luckyscent's shop in LA) and I must admit I was on my way to fatiguing my nose when I smelled them but both underwhelmed me.

When I smelled the Lubin it seemed as if the scent was playing the vetiver note WAY, WAY in the background - like a top note that smells like a basenote. As if I had to turn the music up a little to smell it (if that makes sense). It left me with a sense after a few minutes that I 'have to smell this again soon.'

As for the Querelle, I really did not 'get' it at all. I remember turning with a confused look on my face and asking Franco (the owner of Scent Bar) after about ten minutes into the drydown of Querelle on my left arm what he thought of Querelle. He said he thought it was ok, but he didn't really understand what all the fuss was about. Luckyscent sold a heck of a lot of bottles and it was one of their top sellers, he mentioned. He and I seemed puzzled over this - as I moved on to smell something else. I found it extremely simple and uninspired to my nose and easy to forget about.

Two vetivers I love are:

Route du Vetiver by MPG - this juice sparked through me like electricity from the very first time I smelled it. I highly recommend it for it's use of decomposing dirt and leaves that intermingle with the vetiver skillfully and then deepen and widen on my skin for hours and hours.

In addition, Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle is amazing. I bought a partial bottle blind from another Basenoter and when I applied it I had a smile on my face for a few minutes, it was like watching the introduction to a classic movie and watching the credits play and the soundtrack plays. The journey from vetiver, to that ozonic note and back and forth is like nothing else I've smelled. VE is the 'Lawrence of Arabia' of vetivers IMO. I hope to replace my soon-to-be-empty bottle soon!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd January 2008 at 08:08 PM.

Thank you so much for saving me from an ill advised purchase. I have a love hate relationship with luckyscent, whoever writes their product descriptions is a genius who makes everything sound like it's an orgasm every time you spray.

Looking through the list I see a couple that I'm familiar with and have some question about:

Carven's Vetiver: Is it any stronger than the original? The original was a very pleasant light scent with zero longevity for me, has that improved any?

I'm looking for a strong vetiver that isn't too light and ethereal if that makes any sense.

How are the longevity on the Creeds? My skin eats Creeds alive, BDP is pretty much the only one that lasts more than 4 or 5 hours on me. Erolfa hits 5, SMW about 4, Himalya I'm lucky to get 3.

After the strength of New York, I might just buy Parfum De Nicolai's offering blind, the description on beautyhabit sounds promising. I'm very curious about Racine too.

Also thank you for mentioning Idole, I hadn't even looked at that one but it sounds intriguing!

No problem at all barnstormer. Glad to oblige. Luckscent is an excellent resource for samples, but I feel that they really cultivate and encourage the cult of the new excessively. You'd swear everything they sell is the best of what is on offer. It's not. I am a firm believer in casting a much wider net than top end niche hyped up fare, all of which I've sample and very little of which I've found to have an enduring merit, so it's not a bad idea to go with proven fragrances and even the off beat, little heard of, little tried fragrances before on goes for the "new".

Re: Carven's Vetiver:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=194077

Re: Lanvin's Vetyver, see my post in the following thread along with a lot of other very useful perspectives:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195421

Re: a "strong vetiver that isn't too light and ethereal": MPG Route de Vetiver; Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver; Vetiver Extraordinaire, and even MPG's Racine.

Parfums de Nicolai Vetyver is an excellent fragrance, but the vetiver tends to play a supporting role to the spice and floral elements. Definitely sample it first.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 3rd January 2008 at 02:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Querelle and Profumum Fumidus are my current favorite cooler weather vetivers. The mix of Haitian vetiver and black caraway in Querelle is worth the price of admission alone. Fumidus requires me to sift through birch tar and benzoin before the deep, rich vetiver comes to the forefront but it's well worth the wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to the already excellent list of Vetiver's; Hove Parfumeur's Vetivert.
    A beautiful, arid, earthy,very pure Vetiver scent. Almost all the power of Route du Vetiver but even drier without any sweetness at all. Seemingly, a different type of vetiver but very, very earthy and warm.
    An excellent value as well.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

I agree -- it's an intriguing one.

Lubin Vetiver is so-so. I don't see the point of all these new Vetivers coming out when we've already got Guerlain and Creed. If it's not broken, don't fix it...

I tried Lubin Le Vetiver and rather liked it. Not enough to ever get a full bottle though; it's just not original enough to be compelling, however middle-of-the-road nice it may be. The whole time I had it on, it kept reminding me of some other fragrance -- actually two other frags - MPG Racine and CdG Avignon. Racine is brighter, 'summery,' more stridently citrus, less longevity. I like it better. Le Vetiver had a noticeable frankincense base that melds rather nicely with the vetiver. But Avignon does frankincense better.

Different Co. Sel de Vetiver is a big favorite with me. This stuff really lasts too. It's rather potent grapefruit notes (that last way longer than most citrus frags) blended with vetiver, with some geranium and a hard-to-describe dry salty/mineral aspect to it. Pretty unique.

Nope, light almost aquatic vetiver. Good office scent.

I'd recomend trying L'occitane's Vetyver, I like it alot, nice and rooty.

Wink Re: Saw some new vetivers on Luckyscent, has anyone had any experience with them?

I agree you should stick with the lists members have provided you as it saves time and money. It's all about how it interacts with your skin and nose, so it's entirely personal. However, the range of reactions from so many knowledgeable gentlemen provides us with scentual mentors, one of the main reasons why Basenotes exists, so it only makes sense to gain from the information willingly shared.

My favorite vetiver is Etro - pungent and true to the vetiver scent without being acrid or bringing in other notes to soften or divert the nose. It's also long lasting.

I am finding that there are really two vetiver oils, one made from the grass and one from the roots. The grass tends to be green and light and the root tends to be dark and strong. Etro is a root to my nose.

I agree that the Creeds evaporate with little or no scent at all on my body, but so many men love them, so obviously it's not the same across the board.

Welcome to the Vetiver Obsession!

Post Thanks / Like

i liked the top notes of the Lubin, but after that, I thought it was just OK. In other words, not full bottle worthy. Querelle, on the other hand, I like a great deal, although I'm still using a sample and have yet to order a full bottle. It definitely has vetiver in it, but there's also some cumin, incense, and maybe some tobacco, which gives it a bit of a dirty "smoking and making out in the back pew" vibe. I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a vetiver.

My top two vetivers continue to be Villoresi's, followed by MPG.

Absinth - Nasomatto is a new frag that has just been added to the luckyscent menu. A wonderful, nutty, earthy vetiver (me thinks there is some angelica in there also). Expensive, but if you are a vetiver fan...a must sniff at some point.