Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Smile Here's a FANcy little story ...

See those two fans in my new avatar? They have a heartfelt story behind them. First a bit of background ...

One way to revel in fragrance is by applying a refreshing scent to a hand fan and waving it to blow the notes over your face and neck--a tradition I think needs some serious revival. When I came upon this display at Bourbon French Parfums in New Orleans, I felt so dazzled by the fans, I honestly didn't even SEE there were bottles on the shelves.

Knowing of my increasing fondness for fans and fan shapes as an artistic/engineering form, our ComDiva sent the two fans you see in my avatar--however, they are not really fans but handmade jewelry pins, each about 2 inches wide. The note she enclosed with the pins and a fistful of fragrance samples read, "This past week I was visiting my dad, and in going through some of my beloved late mother's belongings, I found something that needs to now belong to you."

I'm beside myself with all the symbolism pleated into the folds of these gifties. Just think, I have something that was worn over ComDiva's and brother MikePerez's mother's heart!

I hope all of you get at least one fan in your grips to enjoy when the weather gets warmer--much, much, much, much warmer.
    Last edited by Quarry; 2nd January 2008 at 06:18 PM.

Default Re: Here's a FANcy little story ...

Sweet! I definitely want to. Any suggestions for a mod, minimalist fan?
    "Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them." Benjamin Disraeli

Great story. I love the fan displays in Andalucian shops and usually buy one for the heat. I shall spray it with Dominguez' Azahar next time round.

Here's a typical store in Seville. we bought a fan there for our son's girlfriend:
    Last edited by the_good_life; 2nd January 2008 at 05:53 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Great story. I love the fan displays in Andalucian shops and usually buy one for the heat. I shall spray it with Dominguez' Azahar next time round.

Here's a typical store in Seville. we bought a fan there for our son's girlfriend:

Sah-woon! The fans at Bourbon French were made in Spain, too--representative of New Orleans having been owned by Spain for much of its history. Gosh, does anyone else get all tingly from goodlife's photo?

Bernat, I think craft and gift stores carry inexpensive fans in season. I have an everyday fan that doesn't fold--looks like a ping-pong paddle--which is quite durable.

In a previous discussion on fans (April 2007) Kyra and Taolady cued us in on sandalwood fans. Oh, and who here recently told me they handed out fans at their wedding? Ah, jog my memory please.

I really like the sandalwood bark fans only because of the smell, i really don't see myself ever using one of those though...

Some of the Japanese fans made for men are more on the graphic and minimalist side.

And yes, TheGoodLifes panorama was inspiring and drool-able. I used to collect fans and I've been tempted to start again; in fact DD found and nudged DH into buying me a monster of a fan for my birthday- over 5 feet wide open and she just hung it up over my bed.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Oh, and who here recently told me they handed out fans at their wedding? Ah, jog my memory please.
    That would be me, Quarry dear. My DH and I got married (19-1/2 years ago! ) at the Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plain Massachusetts, part of Olmsted's "Emerald Necklace" in greater Boston. The entire wedding was outdoors, it was late June and we had no idea how hot the day was going to be. So we handed out painted paper Japanese folding fans (not graphic - just birds and flowers!) as our wedding favors as people arrived. The day was indeed warm (though fortunately not sweltering), and all our fans got used!

Must say, I do love your avatar.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 3rd January 2008 at 03:00 AM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    That would be me, Quarry dear. My DH and I got married (19-1/2 years ago! ) at the Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plain Massachusetts, part of Olmsted's "Emerald Necklace" in greater Boston. The entire wedding was outdoors, it was late June and we had no idea how hot the day was going to be. So we handed out painted paper Japanese folding fans (not graphic - just birds and flowers!) as our wedding favors as people arrived. The day was indeed warm (though fortunately not sweltering), and all our fans got used!

Must say, I do love your avatar.
    Like a fluttering of butterflies, I imagine!

Oh man, I am LOVING those fans! *drooooooooling*

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I really like the sandalwood bark fans only because of the smell, i really don't see myself ever using one of those though...
    Ooooh, my son bought me a Chinese sandalwood fan at an art gallery last year (with his OWN money, too! He's 6, the fan was $3...what a steal! and thoughtful boy, of course!). I do use it, especially in the summer. The heat here in the South really makes it noticable.

A little dab of Madame X on ANY fan will give a similar "hot momma" effect that draws many complements...
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

At the Guerlain boutique in the SF NM, they use fans to "demo" some of the fragrances...

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clafouti View Post
    At the Guerlain boutique in the SF NM, they use fans to "demo" some of the fragrances...
    Yes! You're right. And they look so cool on music stands. Let's see if I can snap a photo from YouTube.

I own a couple of those sandalwood fans too, they are really only for decoration, as for cooling nothing beats a good fan made in paper.
    Last edited by Ascella; 7th January 2008 at 03:00 PM.