Code of Conduct

Default My NYC Fragrance Sniffage (Please Read!!)

I've been a member of basenotes community for about 6 months, and since I currently live and play in an orchestra in Mexico, I am unable to sniff all the delicious things you, my fellow basenoters, write about throughout the year... SO... I took a sniffage... A NYC sniffage... across three days, sniffing until my nose was ready to fall off, not from exhaustion but from bliss... and I couldn't wait to share the experience with my friends here! With not a ton of money, I wanted to leave with about 3 exclusive fragrances, so I was on a MISSION... I feel this really has the ability to focus a person, really get down to what one really desires in a fragrance... (Of course I appreciated them ALL for their artistic integrity, but this was my hard earned money we're talking about)...

It began at night at Hermes on Madison (starting North and working my way downtown). Hermes was wonderful. I did quick sniffs of everything and examined more closely Ambre Narguile, Poivre Samarcande, Vetiver Tonka, and Eau d'Hermes... I LOVED Eau d'Hermes (reminded me of Bigarade Concentree, Eau being more natural, sharper, more crisp), and the AMAZING woman I spoke with (so patient and friendly) gave me two giant tubes of Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka. Let's just say I left with my head in the clouds.

From there, I moved on to spend about two hours in Barneys. Now, let me tell you... I had NEVER smelled a Serge Lutens, NEVER smelled a L'Artisan, so I was about to fall over, seeing them all lined up ready to be discovered. Some surprises which occurred here were that I was not really as into the CdG Incense Series as I thought I'd be and though I did like Rose 31 and Patchouli 24 a great deal, I thought that I could hold off on them, Dzing! wasn't as animalic as I thought it would be, and that the Serge Lutens line was something I would have to slowly break into. Those are seriously powerful scents, and I was most impressed by Arabie, Ambre Sultan, and their Vetiver scent.. really, they all bowled me over but I still was looking for something else... something not quite so thick and rich and sweet... Though I loved several L'Artisan fragrances, I was most impressed by Mechant Loup and Fou d'Absinthe... and the green, vegetal yet gormand nutty deliciousness of Fou d'Absinthe almost won my money... almost... With only a little more time this first night, I raced over to Bergdorf. Here I spun through knowing I'd go back the next day...

At Bergdorf, the most important development occurred. My friend tried on Straight to Heaven by By Kilian...

So we went to dinner and my friend reached in front of me and I was smacked in the face by something that could be Holy Grail worthy... I knew what it was and my wallet gave a shiver... it was the By Kilians... I smelled Patchouli (love), dirty bark, and this rich sweet waft... hmmm....

Next day, I went back to Barney's and studied for a longer period of time the Malle's. After having received samples in the mail before the trip of L'eau d'Hiver, Bigarade Concentree, and French Lover, I thought I'd be buying one of these, but after smelling the Serges, the Le Labos, and the L'Artisans, I couldn't spend my money on a Malle (I know if I gave my impression of Musc Ravageur I'd have some enemies hehe... I DID like it, kind of, but the scent association in my brain was kind of comical... it reminded me of Balmex diaper rash cream.. weird).. that's not mentioning the By Kilian which was working its way into my system like a virus. I was sure I'd buy Bigarade Concentree, but Eau d'Hermes kicked that out of the running (a crisper cumin citrus I like more). This also helped me appreciate Terre d'Hermes so much more... I still think it's one of the finest fragrances out there. I was sad and disappointed, but relieved to be able to narrow down even further what I was seeking.

I moved on to Bergdorf again, to recap, and I smelled newly Jo Malone's Fig fragrance (liked, didn't love, a little appley?) and vetiver cafe (nice). Also sniffed for the first time the Carons... wow! Beautiful of course but didn't trigger that spot in my stomach which makes me swoon. Tom Ford on the other hand, speaks my language... I tried on a few but Amber Absolute and Tuscan Leather won my heart. (Amber Absolute stayed on my hand through a day of wear and a shower the next morning!) Spicey, incense, and sweet amber... it was poetry in a bottle... But not like the By Kilians

NOW on to Aedes. It is true, it's something all of us perfume fans must do at one point in our lives. It's so beautiful! There I flew through the Montales (not dying to own but strikingly beautiful), recapped some Serges and recapped some L'Artisan to keep me focused... Smelled and really enjoyed Fougere Bengale. It is what everyone says, a gormand fougere which really does smell a bit like Eau Noir by Dior (one I'd smelled earlier in Barney's). I also really enjoyed the MPG line. Let's just say it, I spent a WHILE in there sniffing... but then I saw the By Kilian line...

and I went over to it... Sniffed the bottle cap of By Kilians Straight to Heaven again... put it on... eyes rolled into my head. I knew I'd found it... my wallet shivered more... (I also LOOOVEEDD A TASTE of Heaven... a buttery, ambery almost bready gourmand based on absinthe)... Straight to Heaven has a subtitle of White Cristal (spelled like that) which I think is a drug, and is based on decadence and its ability to transport the soul... I WAS TRANSPORTED BUT THEY DIDN"T HAVE ANYY!!! SOLD OUT! Left, sad... I really wanted to BUY in Aedes... even though they had it in stock in Bergdorf...

Next day, 2 of the most important events of the trip occurred... I smelled the JAR Bolt of Lighting as presented in the private purple room in Bergdorf and my life was changed. An ounce costs $795... it's true, and I would pay it. It's worth more than that. It hit me like the hot breath of an animal, dark florals, warm, indolic, it seemed to move the air in the room. It had POWER. The JAR fragrances are presented in covered glass bowls, in silk, and are held below your face, to rise up and meet your nose. It was a beautiful experience that everyone should try. Bolt of Lightning was a life changing experience for me, fragrance wise. It was stunning, and since they don't believe in divulging ingredients, I can't tell you for sure what was in it, but the experience... The JAR professional attendant (very handsome man) then surprised me by putting a drop on my skin and the whole room filled with Bolt of Lighting... SO ROUND, so uncluttered, so dark... I was changed forever...

Then I passed the By Kilian section (next to the Caron urns) and, without a SECOND of thought, bought Straight to Heaven. I had smelled in 3 days some of the worlds most precious fragrances and you may not agree but I found this to have everything I was looking for. I know I said I wanted THREE but this was all I wanted and all I needed. I'll post a full review separately...

I'd like to thank everyone here. You all have helped nurture my deep appreciation for these liquid works of art, every post, every opinion, has been so great. And the journey is just beginning. Thanks for reading... I hope you've enjoyed
    Last edited by nthny; 2nd January 2008 at 05:09 PM.

Default Re: My NYC Fragrance Sniffage (Please Read!!)

Wow, my heart is racing! I had a sample of Straight to Heaven from Aedes, it's glorious. But now I have to try the JAR Bolt of Lightning - your description is electrifying, to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic story and travel journey, Nthny! Great to read of the adventures of scent chasing. Thanks very much for such a good thing to read.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting read.

I gave Fou d'Absinthe its first proper wearing on Monday night. I liked it better than I thought I would. Combines sweet and green in a unique way. Count my wife and I as fans. I will increase the dose next time to about 8 sprays, as 6 was kinda light.

Lord willing, I will be making my first trip to New York City in early summer. I will have to find a special scent to be my "signature scent" from that trip. I'll pick out one at Aedes or some place that I normally don't have access to.

Post Thanks / Like

yes...i heard about Killians Straight to Heaven...in fact i had a basenotes member message me just to tell me in detail about how stunned they were by this smell....i am going today to bergdorf good to smell for myself...and needless to say, if i will be blown away 75% as you were, it will be mine by tonight.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Well I am posting in response to this thread because when I read it I thought...WOW.WOW..Man it was like I was there on the journey. Thanks nthny for writing this. I contacted Aedes and they just told me that they have a sample of the Killans Straight to Heaven. Well you know I am estactic now because when I deplane on Saturday and deairport(made up word..lol...hahahah) and dehotel(another made up word...hahahaha) All roads lead to Aedes in my favourite city in the world. My cousin who is traveling with me will have to hang on as I will be traveling just below light speed. I also have to try the Black Aoud as this has been banging on the smellie radar recently at notes.

Best,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 2nd January 2008 at 09:55 PM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the story nthny - experiencing shopping in NYC for three (3) days with the sole intent to purchase a high end fragrance sounds like any Basenoters fantasy. In addition, it was the first time you've smelled some of these lines - making it even more special.

I remember someone describing JAR Bolt of Lightning as green and dark (rainy, dirty) with a slight broken branches smell (tree sap) and then a white floral note (gardenia or lily?) - does this sound right? The whole presentation of the JAR sounds very David Lynch-esque - in a good way.

Now - of course, you're gonna get all of us abuzz about the By Killian you bought. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! You must take copious and accurate notes! I could never have done that; been that accurate, that persevering, etc. Fine 'work' young man!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for writing in nthny. I guess we all should chase a sample of JARs' BOL!
    -

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Thanks for writing in nthny. I guess we all should chase a sample of JARs' BOL!
    The only place on the planet you're going to get a sample of JAR's fragrances is at The Perfumed Court (or from someone who owns one of the $700+ bottles). JAR doesn't do samples. The prices of the BOL samples at TPC are extremely expensive too: 1/4 of 1 ml = $15.00, if want one (1) ml it'll cost you $61.00. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The only place on the planet you're going to get a sample of JAR's fragrances is at The Perfumed Court (or from someone who owns one of the $700+ bottles). JAR doesn't do samples. The prices of the BOL samples at TPC are extremely expensive too: 1/4 of 1 ml = $15.00, if want one (1) ml it'll cost you $61.00. Wow!

Yeah, I've been curious about these ever since Luca Turin wrote about them. $61 for 1ml aint gonna happen.

Very exciting trip, I think you make have just created the new flavor of the month with Straight to Heaven. I can hear samples being ordered by everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    1ml for $61? I guess I will stick to the Lutens, Creeds, Malle's etc which are more reasonably priced (never thought I would say that!)
    -

It sounds like you had so much fun!
    Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for responding everyone!!! I have weird tastes and I can't say Straight to Heaven will be for everyone. It even feels different today than it did the day I bought it (not quite as strong but the weather is dry and so is my skin). Much MUCH more than reporting what I bought, I was just so excited to share the experience of searching and sniffing here because you all really don't realize it but in some way or another each person who posts here has contributed in some way to this adventure. Sniffing various perfumes, I would hear the words of one person or another, remembering bits and pieces I've read on blogs and here on the posts. How could I NOT report back??

As far as JAR is concerned, I was actually considering paying the $61 for a mL... crazy? no... BECAUSE, the concentration is greater than perfume concentration (it's true, the SA told me as he smeared it into my skin for 30 seconds). I could imagine opening the sample for a year, just wiffing occasionally. That is somehow worth it. And I am just a poor orchestral musician with no money. I'd rather spend it on that than a sushi dinner Or that's what I'll be telling myself when I click "order"...
    Last edited by nthny; 3rd January 2008 at 04:21 AM.

Well, I'm jealous...sounds like a fantastic trip, a wonderful experience, and a great way to learn a lot more about a lot of frags all at once.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Thanks for responding everyone!!! I have weird tastes and I can't say Straight to Heaven will be for everyone. It even feels different today than it did the day I bought it (not quite as strong but the weather is dry and so is my skin). Much MUCH more than reporting what I bought, I was just so excited to share the experience of searching and sniffing here because you all really don't realize it but in some way or another each person who posts here has contributed in some way to this adventure. Sniffing various perfumes, I would hear the words of one person or another, remembering bits and pieces I've read on blogs and here on the posts. How could I NOT report back??

As far as JAR is concerned, I was actually considering paying the $61 for a mL... crazy? no... BECAUSE, the concentration is greater than perfume concentration (it's true, the SA told me as he smeared it into my skin for 30 seconds). I could imagine opening the sample for a year, just wiffing occasionally. That is somehow worth it. And I am just a poor orchestral musician with no money. I'd rather spend it on that than a sushi dinner Or that's what I'll be telling myself when I click "order"...
    I bought straight to Heaven today....partially inspired by this thread. =)
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Much MUCH more than reporting what I bought, I was just so excited to share the experience of searching and sniffing here because you all really don't realize it but in some way or another each person who posts here has contributed in some way to this adventure. Sniffing various perfumes, I would hear the words of one person or another, remembering bits and pieces I've read on blogs and here on the posts. How could I NOT report back??
    (This is sooooo true. I remember a few years ago when there were lengthy threads about why/when/if men should wear scents marketed to women, and for months afterward, when I would put a scent marketed to women on in the morning, I would say to myself, "what would MikeFromManhattan be saying to me about my manhood now?" We all do live in each other's scent experience stories.)
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent trip report, nthny!

I've had the pleasure of taking a similar path through Manhattan on two occasions, and my impressions were very similar; indeed, I think my last trip report may be posted here. Like you, I also found the Hermes boutique staff to be amazing, engaging, and very generous; it may have helped that I bought a bottle of Ambre Narguille for my wife. They really loaded me up on samples.

Barneys was amazing for the variety, though in a relatively sterile atmosphere. Somehow I managed not to notice or even try either Straight to Heaven or Bolt of Lightning while there 9 months ago!

Bergdorfs was also amazing for the breadth and luxury of their scent collections, and the various limited editions and "sub-boutiques" that they have. It is a crying shame that the independent Caron boutique that used to be two blocks away closed shop, but at least Bergdorfs has most of their urn fragrances. Unlike you, however, I was shocked and awed by both Tabac Blond and Poivre extrait parfums; I acquired both.

You described Aedes to a "T"! It is shrine-like for the perfume lover. So much crammed into such a small space! Serge Lutens' Cedré was my find while there.

I hope to return again in a few months, and you can bet that I'll be aiming to try both Straight to Heaven and Bolt of Lightning! Thanks again for the excellent trip report!

Wicozani,

If you do, I found those two at Bergdorf, not Barney's
    Last edited by nthny; 3rd January 2008 at 04:09 PM.

This was a most inspirational story. It launched me into creating my own sniffrage tomorrow up in Troy, MI at the Someset Collection to fulfill some curiosities to frags that are only in high end stores and not in Toledo, OH. Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Saks, Blue Mercury, L'Occitane and dear ole Sephora (which is in Toledo) They do have a Barney's Co-op which I'm not sure has frags. Huge Excitement! I hope to take some notes and photos too.

I really enjoyed reading this, thanks!

About Hermes: you know ,last week for the first time I went to Dusseldorf and after a whole day shopping with a lovely group of people (no fragrance addicts like me) we went on our way back to the cars.
    In a blink of my left eye, I saw ,in the Konigs Allee, the words "Hermes", and I realised I had forgotten to pay the Hermes boutique a visit ,........aaaaaaaargh. I didn't want to bother the group of people and didn't tell them . Instead , I walked on ,and Hermes was gone.Butdeep down, I really wanted to sample the Vetiver Tonka, that I knew, was waiting there for me.

Ah well, I heard Amsterdam has a Hermes store too.

Again, thanks, I really love fragrance shopping trips from fellow Bn'ers.
    Last edited by eric; 6th January 2008 at 08:30 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved reading your impressions. I've been to the places you've described so accurately & had a similar reaction to the By Killian fragrances. My HG was A Taste of Heaven though. The JAR boutique left me dizzy...literally! That is some really potent stuff.
    "Not my cup of mud."
    Oscar the Grouch

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So well written nthny! Very personal and very descriptive. I felt as though I was there with you and in my mind I could smell what you actually experienced..

Bravo!
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

I'm so glad you've all enjoyed it! It really wasn't meant to brag at all... I just really wanted to share the experience with people whom I knew would enjoy it

Post Thanks / Like

What an excellent read! You've got me planning to follow in your footsteps. Congratulations on a successful journey.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually heading to NYC tomorrow. I got a $10 fare on Skybus Airlines from Columbus to New York... yes, the airline that sells frags and sunglasses on board. It was much cheaper than Fort Wayne to New York, even with gas factored in.

On Tuesday, I was planning on heading to Saks and Bergdorf's anyway. Maybe I'll want to visit Aedes as well on Wednesday, as it's close to the new Apple Store that I wanted to visit anyway. And that Straight to Heaven sounds interesting.

I'll keep you posted!
    Last edited by MFfan310; 7th January 2008 at 09:06 PM.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Nice but overwhelming story. I mean, how do you hold off from overspending and buying many of them? That's why I usually prefer not to go to many of these places on the same day or even week.

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    Nice but overwhelming story. I mean, how do you hold off from overspending and buying many of them? That's why I usually prefer not to go to many of these places on the same day or even week.
    Well, the most surprising part for me was, though I appreciated so many of the fragrances, many were instantly NOT for me. (or at least, not at that time)... For instance, I put the Serge Lutens line in a "for later" category... and I'm glad I did because though I didn't want to instantly own Ambre Sultan, I miss the smell of it if that doesn't sound too weird. I actually can't wait until the next time I can try it. That and Sables and a few of the Tom Fords made me glad I had a plane ticket home (or else I would have been living on the street) Also my allotted dollar amount (restricted to VISA gift cards from my family) helped keep me in line.

There's something really amazing about letting a fragrance get a hold of you for 6 months and really wait to purchase it. Instant gratification is great but with these works of art sometimes it's nice to hold off. Ambre Sultan, you're next!
    Last edited by nthny; 8th January 2008 at 01:41 PM.