Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Bond No 9 - Hamptons

Exactly how close to Silver Mountain Water is it? SMW is one of my favourite fragrances so Im interested in trying Hamptons. Anyone own it?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Default Re: Bond No 9 - Hamptons

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    Exactly how close to Silver Mountain Water is it? SMW is one of my favourite fragrances so Im interested in trying Hamptons. Anyone own it?
    It's been a while since I've done side by side comparisons, but to my nose they're very similar. I prefer Bond No. 9 New York's Hamptoms EDP; it strikes me as a more refined version of SMW with better longevity and none of the harsh petroleum chemical type back note I've always got from SMW. If you like SMW, then you should definitely give Hamptons a try. It's one of the few Bonds that is an improvement on what it has shamelessly copied. The other is New Haarlem EDP.

scentemental

Scentemental mentioned New Haarlem...that's one I really enjoyed just recently. I once wore 6 sprays of New Haarlem and almost made myself sick. I cut that in half the other day and it was a very good experience. Sweet and warm, with definite coffee notes. 3 sprays for business, 4 for casual.

As for Hamptons, the difference from SMW is that Hamptons has some notes that remind me of Sung Homme...some extra soapy notes that SMW does not have. I like Hamptons better, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Scentemental mentioned New Haarlem...that's one I really enjoyed just recently. I once wore 6 sprays of New Haarlem and almost made myself sick. I cut that in half the other day and it was a very good experience. Sweet and warm, with definite coffee notes. 3 sprays for business, 4 for casual.

As for Hamptons, the difference from SMW is that Hamptons has some notes that remind me of Sung Homme...some extra soapy notes that SMW does not have. I like Hamptons better, I believe.

Your absolutely right Chuck about New Haarlem. More that two sprays of New Haarlem qualifies as an ecological disaster. Two discrete spray will take on the whole day with ease and will produce much joy and pleasure.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 2nd January 2008 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Your absolutely right Chuck about New Haarlem. More that two sprays of New Haarlem qualifies as an ecological disaster. Two discrete spray with take on the whole day with ease and will produce much joy and pleasure.

scentemental

As another BNer who bought New Haarlem after Scentemental's introduction and recommendation, I completely agree, both that two sprays (three in colder climates) is plenty, and that most of the Bonds are shameless rip-offs. Still, New Haarlem is gorgeous, comforting and interesting, and I'm very much looking forward to trying the various "Warhol coffret" offerings from Bond.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

I have worn both Hamptons and SMW for a while now and I think they are maybe 20-25% similar. The interplay of the blackcurrant and salt notes in SMW is more dynamic and rich. Hamptons top notes feature lime and sweet lime, while the heart introduces a very noticeable but not too over-the-top combo of jasmine and turkish rose which is entirely missing in SMW and especially becomes prominent in warm weather and with a heavy application.

If you are enticed by SMW and looking for a similar alternative, Hamptons won't display the same magic. SMW is also a very long lasting fragrance .. a 4 spray application lasts over 9 hours on me. With that said, Hampton is a fine and wearable fragrance in its own right.
    -

I agree with zztopp. I find Silver Mountain Water to be richer, with more depth and longevity. Hamptons pales in comparison. I find it to be thin, watery and even a bit powdery at the base. HTH.

If Chez Bond is an exact copy of Creed GIT, then one can say that Hamptons is about a 50% copy of SMW.

SMW starts with this fruity notes which is virtually absent in Hamptons. The 'ink' note kicks in seconds when Hamptons is sprayed. This 'ink' note and the
    'tea' note are perhaps the only notes Hamptons shares with SMW.

However i find the ink note in Hamptons is not fruity whereas the ink note in SMW is fruity (i understand its is grapefruit from what i have read here)

I feel SMW is gentler and smoother of the two.
    Hamptons surely is longer lasting and has greater sillage of the two.

I just got a full bottle of Hamptons but i am still going to buy a full bottle of SMW soon.
    Obviously it means that only owning Hamptons leaves a lot to be desired for SMW lovers.
    I like sniffing SMW more than sniffing Hamptons.

gupts

I like Silver Mountain Water way better than Hamptons, although there are slight differences, one can't escape the obvious simmilarities.

I don't like copies, even if they are supposedly better, (which is not the case with Hamptons). Stick with the original.

I'm glad you posted this question because these are two of my favorites and I own both and have been comparing the two for several months now. Honestly I find myself going back and forth between which one is my favorite, but I must say that if I had to choose it'd have to be Hamptons. SMW is awesome but it's a little softer and fruitier than Hamptons. ...while it's still unique it does have some of that 90's fruitiness. Hamptons lacks that. It's is drier, grassier, and "hotter"...sort of "cinnamonny." While Hamptons comes off a little louder and stronger, SMW on my skin at least does seem to last a little longer and seems to be a little more pungeant. I've wore SMW for years now but when I received a sample of Hamptons I was like "This is a better SMW!" I didn't think it was possible. I keep both, however, because if I wear one for a period of time I get to craving the other. Try it out for sure. I think you'll like it. The bottle's pretty slick too.

I just got my first official full bottle of SMW - what was I waiting for? - and to me, the difference is that it opens much more fruity than Hamptons. On me, SMW lasts and lasts, much longer than the Bond. While Hamptons is a much warmer, more rounded scent, it makes much less of a statement than the original that it so brazenly borrows from.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 3rd January 2008 at 04:02 PM.

I would also like to add that the opening of Hamptons has 'cedar' in it as compared to the 'fruity' opening of SMW. Somehow i have started getting a lot of 'cedar' from Hamptons which at times doesn't make me feel too happy. I am not a 'cedar' fan.
    However the jasmine and a hint of rose surely kicks in during the middle and the cedar is pushed in the background.

I think the heavier 'cedar' and 'amber' give Hamptons its decent longevity.

I also find the top notes of Hamptons as 'spicy' sometimes. I dont know where the 'spices' come from in the top notes but they are surely there.

Hamptons:

Top notes are fresh savory greens, lime blossom, bigarrade oil (from the bittersweet orange flower),
    lemony lime bergamot, and balancing stimulating armoise oil, with overtones of cedar and sage.
    The midnotes are lush florals: magnolia, white jasmine and Turkish rose.
    Then comes the beautiful drydown, amber, sandalwood, and cashmere musk

SMW

Citrus notes, Tea, Blackcurrant, Musk and Ambergris.

As we can see, they just have citrus notes and musk in common. I dont know what imparts the 'ink' note in both of them.

Overall SMW is the fresher of the two and is a real aquatic. However its longevity is pathetic on me. Perhaps thats the reason why i appreciate Hamptons as it is the next best thing for me.

gupts

I own SMW and just today purchased Hamptons. I tried Hamptons before my purchase today and I have to tell you that I truly enjoy it more than SMW. And, Hamptons has much more longevity on me. Sometimes I find SMW to be too harsh but Hamptons seems to find that right balance somehow. If I had come across Hamptons before SMW I wouldn't even own SMW. Go Hamptons!
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The