Code of Conduct

Question Aftershaves and/or EDT....

Edt or aftershaves;I use them both and sometimes together.Many aftershaves are excellent for daywear;I own a big bottle of Prada P.H. aftershave and a few others;some of them are not bad with sillage at all.
    Its also easier to buy them for less.Do you like and use aftershaves and wich ones do you prefer of the famous brands?Do you use them together sometimes?
    Last edited by sniff; 2nd January 2008 at 07:27 PM.

Default Re: Aftershaves and/or EDT....

I only ever buy EDT/EDC/EDP, never aftershave.

My opinion on aftershave is
    - no point in using it for scent when a more concentrated version exists.
    - no point using it after shaving as it is too drying and harsh on my skin.

I generally prefer unscented balm eg Aramis Lab Series, but also use ADP Collezione Barbieri.

That of course is just my experience. If it is coming in a gift set (ie virtually free), I always seek out the aftershave balm over lotion / liquid. I suppose in that instance it is effective to layer balm and EDT, but only if it's free. In my experience, the gift sets in major retailers are a bit of a false economy, as one can usually find the EDT much cheaper on line.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I always use aftershave with alcohol when I shave. I own an aftershave for every fragrance I have if it's available. I find the aftershave is actually beneficial for my skin, stimulating it and prevent bumps and rashes because of its antimicrobial effect. It never dries out my skin, and I never get unbearable stinging when I shave because I keep my skin well hydrated by drinking plenty of water and eat a good diet. I don't smoke and don't drink alcohol expect for the occasional margarita or glass of wine with a meal. Smoking, drinking, and applying aftershave on the dehydrated skin is bad news. I also prepare my skin for shaving carefully and methodically and have never had any issues with using alcohol based aftershaves.

Furthermore, I find aftershaves, despite what some claim, help add to the sillage and longevity to fragrance. Consider the wide area of application, and, also, that if you've shaved that area, the shaved skin produces lubricating oils as a recuperative and regenerating response to the razor scraping the skin. These oils react with the fragrances oils in the aftershave and extend its life. There's no doubt that you get better longevity with a fragrance if you use aftershave than if you just use the EDT or EDP. The same cannot be said with Aftershave Balms, which typically have half to less than half the fragrance oils of an aftershave.

Finally, I often use aftershave when I want the lightest possible application, say when I am in a meeting at closed quarters with people, and I don't want my fragrance to overwhelm. Indeed, some aftershaves are quite strong and because they also have emollients in them and you'll find that they last quite a while especially on dry skin. Czech & Speake No. 88 aftershave, especially the vintage Italian version, is as strong as most of today's EDTs. I wear it often alone when I want a lighter version of No. 88.

I have a couple of spray bottles of vintage Habit Rouge aftershave that wears like a lighter version of Habit Rouge. Often in summer time, I wear the aftershaves of certain oriental fragrances with success, Opium Pour Homme being one of them.

Bvglari Aftershave is another interesting one. It seems to have, as does the balm, a more predominant and prevailing rosewood note than the EDT.

I love aftershaves, and you're right about Prada Amber Pour Homme; it's an excellent aftershave with significant sillage. I've worn it on its own a number of times to great effect.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 2nd January 2008 at 08:40 PM.

the only aftershave i have is onyx by azzarro and i love it...i got it in a trade and i use it everytime i shave and smells awesome and has great longevity as well as silage!

I love aftershaves, when the weather's too hot, i always use them instead of the EDT/EDP because it just feels better on my skin and it won't smother me.

but sometimes i like smothering too.
    Last edited by castorpollux; 2nd January 2008 at 10:11 PM.

Aftershaves are good for a lighter scent than the EDP/EDT's.

I seldom by aftershaves, but the wife finds fantastic bargans on the stuff I usually wear.

150 ml of Kanon aftershave for $4CD? Just amazing....
    Last edited by greendragon; 2nd January 2008 at 10:16 PM.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post

150 ml of Kanon aftershave for $4CD? Just amazing....
    Considering how weak the Kanon cologne I have is, I can't even imagine how quickly the aftershave disappears.

Well, the replies to this thread are heartening, if not a bit surprising. I recently ordered a bottle of Guerlain Heritage and when it arrived I discovered that I had inadvertantly ordered the aftershave. I've been vacillating whether to send it back (thinking I'd be considered a lightweight for using a mere aftershave), but now I think I'll keep it.
    BTW, it smells great!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Aftershave splashes sting me like hell, and leave my skin red raw if I use them as is. I can only use most if I firstly apply a fragrance neutral balm like Nivea for Men Extra Sensitive or Rexona for Men, and waiting 10 minutes before applying the aftershave splash.

The only aftershave splashes I've found that don't hurt and do a good job are Mennen Skin Bracer, Halston Catalyst and the entire Trumper range. Why the rest stick to just scent and alcohol escapes me.

If I want my face to smell of my scent of the day, it is easier to make my own aftershave balm by putting three sprays of EDT into a small amount of fragance neutral aftershave balm, mixing it around and then applying it.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Aftershave splashes sting me like hell, and leave my skin red raw if I use them as is. I can only use most if I firstly apply a fragrance neutral balm like Nivea for Men Extra Sensitive or Rexona for Men, and waiting 10 minutes before applying the aftershave splash.

The only aftershave splashes I've found that don't hurt and do a good job are Mennen Skin Bracer, Halston Catalyst and the entire Trumper range. Why the rest stick to just scent and alcohol escapes me.

If I want my face to smell of my scent of the day, it is easier to make my own aftershave balm by putting three sprays of EDT into a small amount of fragance neutral aftershave balm, mixing it around and then applying it.
    Renato
    have you tried any by pinaud...i get red splotchy, raw face too by some overly alcoholic afters, but i dont get that effect with pinaud!

Pinaud aftershaves are pretty strong too! The Clubman scent does not have an EDT and I guess it doesn't need one (although I'd still buy it if they ever came out with it).

Of course, Canoe and Wild Country from Avon both smell very similar.

I don't usually use aftershaves; I find that they dry out my skin (esp. in the wintertime). I occasionally use aftershave balm, but (more often than not) I avoid even that. I pretty much stick to edp and edt.

HUGE Bottle Sale: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...52#post1126252

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    have you tried any by pinaud...i get red splotchy, raw face too by some overly alcoholic afters, but i dont get that effect with pinaud!
    No, I haven't come across it as yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it.
    Good to see I'm not the only aftershave splash sufferer.
    Renato

The best place to buy Clubman by Pinaud is at Sally Beauty Supply. They sell a 12.5oz bottle for the cost most places sell the 6oz bottle for.

I've only got the Prada ph aftershave. I love it. It smells really good over the light layer of cocoa butter I use to moisturize my face. Brings out more of the gourmand qualities.

Even though I do seem to enjoy the matching aftershave to a scent, I can honestly say I wouldn't buy one at the prices they want, and will only end up getting them in gift sets.