Code of Conduct

Default im looking for anise notes

hey guys

i was just in the store and somebody showed me a frag and said this might be too "licorice" for you but i loved it. I had so many other samples with me i forgot what the heck it was, this was at a sephora.

Any ideas what kind of frag there would be "anise or licorice like"

i want to say it might have actually been a womens frag which she called unisex or wearable for men called elixer des merveilles by hermes but according to some note reviews it doesnt contain this note.

any ideas on a readily available black licorice type frag out there.

Default Re: im looking for anise notes

I would suggest the following edible anise frags:

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin - very vanillic anise - closest to edible licorice sticks that I've come across
    Yohji Homme - deeper, less playful - more sophisticated anise
    Endymion by Penhaligans (sp?)
    SL Douce Amere - the most gourmand of the anise, IMHO.. very pastry-like

I am actually not sure if there's an anise note in it..but I get a strong licorice vibe from Artisan's Fou D'Absinthe....

this is a start anyway.. Im sure this list will become more exhaustive as other basenoters chime in.

a.

Post Thanks / Like

supposedly Diesel Fuel For Life is based on its Anise note..
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes chuckpolzin - check out this old thread where we discussed scents with licorice: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=193206

When I joined BN, I didn't know the difference between licorice and anise - the link above explains. They are different.

If you want anise (honestly, not my favorite note) I have found it very prominent in Yohji Pour Homme by Yohji Yamomato (the discontinued one, that's still available online) and the new Diesel Fuel for Life for Men.

If you want licorice (which I love) please go to the nearest Hermes boutique and ask to smell Brin de Reglisse, one of the seven Hermessence scents that can only be purchased in Hermes boutiques. It has lavender in it, but the licorice note is confectionary, fantastically realistic and very crisp - while simultaneously smelling sweet.

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes (which BTW is one of my favorite gourmand scents) does NOT have anise. It is predominantly a orange/chocolate/ambergris scent.

Along with Lolita Lempicka pour Homme, don't forget Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens and (ick) Fracas pour Homme by Robert Piguet. If you like plain black licorice, I'm pretty sure that Demeter still makes a (guess what) plain black licorice frag.

As star anise goes (a different beast, indeed, and much more to my personal liking), the great Rive Gauche stands out first and foremost.
    MASSIVE SALE -- ALL MUST GO:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...71#post1126371

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

thanks for the help,

man when i smelled that frag i really got the feel of really spicy candied "black licorice smell" something almost gum drop like and it was really interresting, i felt like tasting it.

ill have to go back and find out what it was, because maybe it doesnt actually have that particular note but whatever it was reminded me of candy black licorice alot and being from sephora it was something rather mainstream, unfortunately it wasnt the diesel one because i already have that lol.....

btw does that hermes elixer frag i mentioned above work for men as well, because i havent seen it listed anywhere as a unisex frag

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should try YSL Rive Gauche, Azzaro pour Homme, or Lauder for Men.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella - its very refreshing and lovely.
    Masaki Matsushima Very Male - which seems to have disappeared from the Sephora website which could mean they're no longer carrying it so you might want to hurry on this one. I think its SOO sexy. I dont wear it often myself, but I own it and spray men with it all the time.
    L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe

And my best recommendation: Caron Reglisse.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Quote Originally Posted by chuckpolzin View Post
    man when i smelled that frag i really got the feel of really spicy candied "black licorice smell" something almost gum drop like and it was really interresting, i felt like tasting it.
    I'm guessing there's a good chance that it was Mat; Very Male by Masaki Matsushima. Really cool scent that smells almost entirely of black licorice. I have a bottle of it and love it-- The bottle's rad by the way.

My favorite scent that contains anise is Rive Gauche Pour Homme, of which I've said plenty.

Also I enjoy L'Occitane Eau du Badian. It's very similar to Mat; Very Male-- except Very Male is toward the black licorice end of the spectrum, while Eau du Badian is more toward anise.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin is too gourmand for me-- I did like the Eau Fraiche version of it better.

But I think the one you're looking for is Mat; Very Male.

Post Thanks / Like

It might also be Armani Black Code, which to my nose lies halfway between Lempicka and Mat, Very Male.
    Armani Remix has a bit of anise and liquorice wood in it too.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 3rd January 2008 at 06:37 AM.

I'll second that it was probably Mat; Very Male- it has very much the effect you described in your original post.

My favorite anise recommendation would be the star anise in Guerlain's L'Instant de Guerlain. Star anise is subtly different than "regular" anise, but they are still pretty similar. L'Instant should be available at your Sephora, and ask for a sample as this one needs to be worn to truly appreciate. As suggested, Rive Gauche is another good star anise fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine
    Arpege pour Homme, by Lanvin
    not much more need be said

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: im looking for anise notes

A softer, more refined Star Anise note, sitting right on top of a smooth base that smells like frankincense and sandalwood japanese incense (the expensive stickless kind - Shoyeido gourmet)...

...Pal Zileri Concept N-18

The longevity isn't the best, but I think it's just refined, smooth and understated.

Anise and star anise are quite different actually.

Anise is airy (think also mint), star anise on the other hand has a typical earthy vibe.

So perfumes that have either of these notes prominent have complete different characters. That's something to keep in mind, I think.
    Last edited by Domingo; 3rd January 2008 at 12:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

Caron's Eau de Reglisse is like licorice in a bottle, almost syrupy.

Wink Re: im looking for anise notes

Penhaligon's "English Fern" hits me with a strong anise/fennel note that lasts and lasts.

Post Thanks / Like

Must de Cartier and Jil Sander Background are loaded with anise.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckpolzin View Post

ill have to go back and find out what it was, because maybe it doesnt actually have that particular note but whatever it was reminded me of candy black licorice alot and being from sephora it was something rather mainstream, unfortunately it wasnt the diesel one because i already have that lol.....

btw does that hermes elixer frag i mentioned above work for men as well, because i havent seen it listed anywhere as a unisex frag
    I must agree with Indie - I think you are talking about Mat:Male since the first time that I smelled it was at Sephora also.

And many men here on Basenotes wear and enjoy Elixir des Merveilles - it is marketed as a womans fragrance by Hermes but the chocolate/orange gourmand vibe mixed with that salty base note can be enjoyed by anyone. Try it before you buy though - it is an acquired taste.

Blue Sugar for sure...although it's sweeeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    Hi there,

I'll second this one, licorice pipe tobacco. A great unisex fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDavid View Post
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella - its very refreshing and lovely.
    Masaki Matsushima Very Male - which seems to have disappeared from the Sephora website which could mean they're no longer carrying it so you might want to hurry on this one. I think its SOO sexy. I dont wear it often myself, but I own it and spray men with it all the time.
    L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe

I'll give a vote on your best recommendation. Reglisse by Caron is so underrated. It's dirt cheap, smells great and has amazing lasting power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I think you should try YSL Rive Gauche, Azzaro pour Homme, or Lauder for Men.
    Totally agree but would add l'Occitaine's Eau du Badian

Post Thanks / Like

It may be Kenzo Air you're referring too. Has that black licorice smell but is tempered by sweet vetiver.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDavid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I'll second this one, licorice pipe tobacco. A great unisex fragrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'll give a vote on your best recommendation. Reglisse by Caron is so underrated. It's dirt cheap, smells great and has amazing lasting power.
    Let me join in on this - I gave Eau de Reglisse as a gift this year and it was amazingly well received.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost