Code of Conduct

Default Could a man get away with wearing Chanel No 19?

Ok... here goes....

At the risk of embarrassing myself, and looking like I'm an old biddy, I really *really* love Chanel No 19. There are times when I've smelt it and it came out as a very green, chypre-ish sort of fragrance, and other times very floral, with lily of the valley coming out coming strongly. Not quite sure if the first instance was a case of just smelling the EDT, but the second was definitely the EDP.

Either which way, I love "green" sorts of smells, and given that No19 has quite a strong woody base (in my opinion anyway) and that so many men's fragrances out there are so sweet, so fruity and dare I say it, floral, it seems odd that the divisions still exist so strongly between men's and women's fragrances.

I'm curious as to people's opinions on this.

Any takers, lol?

Default Re: Could a man get away with wearing Chanel No 19?

Yes I think a man could get away with wearing it. If you like it, wear it

Mate if you like something, wear it.

Yes!

I also like it very much and wear it about once a month. It is one of my favorites among "women's" fragrances, IMO one of the best out there. I like many green, leathery, floral, or fuity chypres marketed to women, and own and wear a handful of them.

For example I'm wearing Guerlain's Mitsouko today, another one you may like.

So, yes, wear No. 19 without fear. Wear it!

You only live once. We all have to spend so much of our time conforming and doing what others want us to do anyway, so go ahead and express your individuality when you can. And smell good while doing it!

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 3rd January 2008 at 10:25 AM.

duuuude
    i was thinking exactly the same thing
    the green color attracted my attention
    and i loved it
    but in the middle..it was too "chanel" if you know what i mean
    the only thing preventing me from wearing this is my wallet
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Basenotes Plus

I wear the EDP all the time. I have a real mixture of Masculine, Feminine and Unisex fragrances. If you like the smell then wear it
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Absolutement
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

WOW!!

I'm not the only one out there, am I!

I'm so so so tempted to get it, I smelt it once on a man, and thought it was the most masculine thing out there, and got the shock of my life when he told me that it was No 19. This is years and years before I discovered just how much I really love fragrances.

To Noggs and Squirrelmilk - yes! it was the greenness that really attracted me to it. There's also an underlying woody base that's also really appealing.

Out of curiosity, which is the "greener" of the two, the EDT or the EDP? And which one has the more pronounced florals?
    Last edited by snifferdog; 3rd January 2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    Out of curiosity, which is the "greener" of the two, the EDT or the EDP? And which one has the more pronounced florals?
    i have only tried the EDT
    anyone kind enough to donate an mL of the EDP?
    wishlist:

I too am only familiar with the EDT version of Chanel No. 19.

Most of the "women's" frags that I wear are EDT versions.

Very generally speaking, I would say the the EDT versions of women's frags are usually easier for men to wear. But dissenting opinions are certainly welcome!

I believe that the estimable Scentemental has commented astutely regarding the EDT and EDP versions of No. 19, which he respects greatly. You might do a search for his posts related to No. 19.

noggs

Basenotes Institution

snifferdog, check this thread out that jock_with_scents posted a couple months ago, where we discussed C19 also: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200660

Personally, I don't like the fragrance, but I wear (and love) many other womens fragrances - have you smelled Private Collection or White Linen EDT by Estee Lauder? I love and own both.

Wear what you love!

I gave no19 a good try, but just couldn't pull it off. Beautiful, but I had no self confidence when I put it on.
    I have it for sell now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I gave no19 a good try, but just couldn't pull it off. Beautiful, but I had no self confidence when I put it on.
    I have it for sell now.
    i have an urge to buy it from you...but my wallet is currently anorexic
    wishlist:

Talking Re: Could a man get away with wearing Chanel No 19?

I can get away with wearing just about anything, there's always plausible deniability....I picked up my wife's by mistake??? Try anything once. Maybe twice... LOL
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Talking Re: Could a man get away with wearing Chanel No 19?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    snifferdog, check this thread out that jock_with_scents posted a couple months ago, where we discussed C19 also: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200660

Personally, I don't like the fragrance, but I wear (and love) many other womens fragrances - have you smelled Private Collection or White Linen EDT by Estee Lauder? I love and own both.

Wear what you love!
    Allo Mike!

I haven't tried many women's fragrances, so I've got no idea what Private Collection or White Linen are like. But i'll be sure to hit the counters very soon!
    --------------------------------------
    LOL!!

I just noticed silverbullet's comment!

I tried to do a blind test with my partner - he's a die-hard citrus man, you know, the "eau sauvage" kind. I did with No19 and Eternity on two separate cards, and wondered whether he'd be able to pick up the "gender-difference". Needless to say, straight off the bat he said that the card with No19 was really feminine. Aaaaargh! That was not the answer I'd been looking for. Mind you, I couldn't stop smelling the card - I kept it for three days.... sad, aren't I...? I couldn't stop smelling it.

But I like things that are complex and have many layers to them, and love a mixture of green with just a tinge of the floral in the background. Don't know if I have the balls to pull off wearing something that's prominently floral, that's all. That's why I'm having this quandarry.
    Last edited by snifferdog; 4th January 2008 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I love edt and hate edp
    for me - it's two different scents

all beauty of No 19 is in edt, and maybe in parfum (I haven't smelled parfum, but it's closer to edt)
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I think i've said this before but i've always thought since the release of Dior Homme , that No.19 was the butcher version of it, and if men wear DH, then they must surely and confidently use No.19 as another greener, iris choice.

Basenotes Institution

Allo Mike!

I haven't tried many women's fragrances, so I've got no idea what Private Collection or White Linen are like. But i'll be sure to hit the counters very soon!
    --------------------------------------
    LOL!!

I just noticed silverbullet's comment!

I tried to do a blind test with my partner - he's a die-hard citrus man, you know, the "eau sauvage" kind. I did with No19 and Eternity on two separate cards, and wondered whether he'd be able to pick up the "gender-difference". Needless to say, straight off the bat he said that the card with No19 was really feminine. Aaaaargh! That was not the answer I'd been looking for. Mind you, I couldn't stop smelling the card - I kept it for three days.... sad, aren't I...? I couldn't stop smelling it.

But I like things that are complex and have many layers to them, and love a mixture of green with just a tinge of the floral in the background. Don't know if I have the balls to pull off wearing something that's prominently floral, that's all. That's why I'm having this quandarry.
    I feel you snifferdog.

The boyfriend doesn't like it when I wear my heavy florals either. I take this into consideration sometimes and other times I could care less what he thinks about how I smell.

But it sounds like YOU need to feel comfortable wearing florals. Don't look to anyone (including your partner) to help you get comfortable - you can do it all by yourself. If you cannot do it all by yourself, well then there's your answer: you can't wear florals. Which is okay - God knows there's a ton of other non-floral fragrances out there for you to wear. But atleast you'll know why you don't wear florals.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th January 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I feel you snifferdog.

The boyfriend doesn't like it when I wear my heavy florals either. I take this into consideration sometimes and other times I could care less what he thinks about how I smell.

But it sounds like YOU need to feel comfortable wearing florals. Don't look to anyone (including your partner) to help you get comfortable - you can do it all by yourself. If you cannot do it all by yourself, well then there's your answer: you can't wear florals. Which is okay - God knows there's a ton of other non-floral fragrances out there for you to wear. But atleast you'll know why you don't wear florals.

Good luck!
    You know something, Mike, you've got a point. And a bloody good one too.

I'm taking on a new strategy with him: it's for me, and if you don't like it... well, too bad!

I guess I need to get over the self-conciousness, don't I.

Of all the readily available Chanels marketed to a female audience, No. 19 is the one a man could most easily get away with, IMHO. It's a bit green, granted, and VERY floral, but so are many of the "men's" frags we talk about at length every day on this board.

MASSIVE SALE -- EVERYTHING MUST GO. (JUST ADDED ITEMS TODAY, BTW):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=203937

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

C19 could work very well on a guy IMO.

I'm gonna grab that #19 bottle by the neck and show you all how a real man wears it! One of these days, I tell ya!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

.. If we Kouros men get away with it ..... why can't you

Smile Re: Could a man get away with wearing Chanel No 19?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    .. If we Kouros men get away with it ..... why can't you
    Lol, thank you dimitrios! It sums it up perfectly.

I've noticed a tendency around here for people to focus on a few notes they like in various female scents including the women's D&G Light Blue, Black Cashmere, Kingdom etc, characterise those scents by those few notes, and then wonder if they are suitable for wear. The only problem is that they are ignoring the other notes that other less discerning noses will smell, and immediately characterise as "feminine".

So wear whatever you want, but be aware that many others will be wondering what's wrong with your sense of smell. I think it's better and more fun to hunt around for those notes that you like, in the hope of finding them nearly intact in more masculine scents.
    Renato.

Basenotes Plus

Are you kidding?
    Of course a man could wear Chanel #19! It smells fantastic on men. For that matter, so does Chanel No 5.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Are you kidding?
    Of course a man could wear Chanel #19! It smells fantastic on men. For that matter, so does Chanel No 5.
    It has been my profound misfortune to take out several women wearing Chanel 5. I didn't like it on them, and I sure as hell wouldn't want my body contaminated with it.
    Renato

Chanel the contaminator ? maybe it was their chemistry .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    It has been my profound misfortune to take out several women wearing Chanel 5. I didn't like it on them, and I sure as hell wouldn't want my body contaminated with it.
    Renato
    Sounds like a scent memory issue to me.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Love green chypres, and this is one of the best. It's also one of the lighter ones, so easier for a lot of guys to wear. I wear it from time to time, though not usually to work; but for social and dress-up occasions, I really dig this one.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

This is a staple in my wardrobe and one of my favorite scents of all times, certainly my favorite Chanel. I wear this wherever, whenever. Its about what makes me feel good - to hell with anyone else.

If you like it, wear it. It cant be stressed enough. There is no such thing as gender in perfumery.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDavid View Post

If you like it, wear it. It cant be stressed enough. There is no such thing as gender in perfumery.
    Clearly it isn't much of an issue to a number of people.

But if indeed there really weren't such a thing, one would expect pretty much the same scents to be discussed with the same frequency at the Male Fragrance Discussion forum as are discussed at the Female Fragrance Discussion - something which clearly isn't the case.
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Clearly it isn't much of an issue to a number of people.

But if indeed there really weren't such a thing, one would expect pretty much the same scents to be discussed with the same frequency at the Male Fragrance Discussion forum as are discussed at the Female Fragrance Discussion - something which clearly isn't the case.
    Renato
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Marketing has conditioned people (even me) to think of male and female scents, and so we behave as if this were truly the reality structure.

BTW, the only answer to the "chicken or egg" question is " A circle has neither beginning nor end."
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

As with clothing, there are conventions in perfume that allow people to identify themselves according to a set of agreed-upon social indicators.

The degree to which people choose to adhere to those conventions and identify themselves as mainstream society would expect is always a matter of personal choice.

It is possible to accept some things as more feminine or more masculine, and then use them in contrast or juxtaposition to create a bigger (visual or olfactory) wardrobe.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Marketing has conditioned people (even me) to think of male and female scents, and so we behave as if this were truly the reality structure.

BTW, the only answer to the "chicken or egg" question is " A circle has neither beginning nor end."
    Modern marketing history is littered with examples of fortunes lost when marketers tried selling people what they didn't want. Their prowess at conditioning was found woefully overstated. The chicken and egg question has little relevance.
    Renato

Modern marketing history is littered with examples of fortunes lost when marketers tried selling people what they didn't want. Their prowess at conditioning was found woefully overstated. The chicken and egg question has little relevance.
    Renato
    That's a good point, Renato, but do you think that perhaps the whole point of marketing is to make an educated guess as to the trends, cultural norms, values etc to capitalise on that, and perhaps influence it?

Marketing may not hold absolute and ultimate power, but it is highly arguable that marketing has had a great influence on tastes - the power of suggestion is easily underestimated, and time only increases that power.
    Last edited by snifferdog; 7th January 2008 at 09:21 AM.

Post Re: Could a man get away with wearing Chanel No 19?

Yes , I use to wear it and and love it !

No. 19 is a beauty, it was the fetiche perfume of Madamoiselle Coco expressedly made for her in the very beginning. It's pure abstraction over the iris theme, blurred in aldehydes and dried by the greeness of galbanum, standing proud and steely on its own... but it also had a more feminine tender hyachint heart, the romantic and melancholic side of Gabrielle, memories of her unfortunated loves... I love it.
    Can a guy pull it off?
    Hard to say if you can. What I can say is that indeed it has many crossgender chatacteristics specially if you consider the nowadays masculine scents. As I said it has many crossgender aspects that can work well on a man too, but it also has some more fragile, floral touches. So if you think you are confident enough in showing to the others you also have that "fragile side", if you feel comfortable in wearing it, just do it careless of the others.

bitchy and bitter

a masterpiece
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I'd happily wear No19 almost anytime, anywhere. I say "almost" because I don't think it fits if I'm wearing jeans and t-shirt, but if I'm wearing business casual or better, no hesitation.

Parfum is a decidedly warmer experience than the EDT. I haven't used the parfum as extensively, so beyond that I really can't say a whole lot just yet.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

To be fair, have you smelt JPG Fleur Le Male? It's more floral than Chanel No 19, all this silly marketing.
    Wear what you like, if anyone asks you, and you feel uncomfortable, just make something up !

Basenotes Institution

I just wore this the other day (vintage Eau de Parfum) and I loved it! I think years ago I smelled it, and hated its use of aldehydes...but more recently I've warmed to some aldehyde-prominent scents and now I enjoy them, if they're not headache inducing.

Now I want to try vintage EdT.

Blog Entries

Absolutely, Chanel #19 can easily be worn by a man. Wear it in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    To be fair, have you smelt JPG Fleur Le Male? It's more floral than Chanel No 19, all this silly marketing.
    Wear what you like, if anyone asks you, and you feel uncomfortable, just make something up !
    Better yet wear what you like and if anyone asks what it is, just answer "YES." (enigmatic, that is.)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Nope. Chanel No.19 applied to the neck, chest, and forearms of a man will make the equipment that makes him male dry up and then flake off. Important to avoid spraying this stuff.

(I realize this is an old thread, and yes, I'm joking. I own and delight in Chanel No.19. It was once a birthday present to myself.)
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Ok... here goes....

At the risk of embarrassing myself, and looking like I'm an old biddy, I really *really* love Chanel No 19. There are times when I've smelt it and it came out as a very green, chypre-ish sort of fragrance, and other times very floral, with lily of the valley coming out coming strongly. Not quite sure if the first instance was a case of just smelling the EDT, but the second was definitely the EDP.

Either which way, I love "green" sorts of smells, and given that No19 has quite a strong woody base (in my opinion anyway) and that so many men's fragrances out there are so sweet, so fruity and dare I say it, floral, it seems odd that the divisions still exist so strongly between men's and women's fragrances.

I'm curious as to people's opinions on this.

Any takers, lol?
    Depends - I was wearing L.T. Piver Floramye as a 'signature' scent for some weaks. Great to see people wonder what - and why.

I had an untested sample of No. 19 lying around that this thread motivated me to open up. WOW! Is this stuff gorgeous or what? Well within the modern definition of unisex, I would think - at least based on the first half hour. This could turn out to be serious nose crack.

Damn you people, now I wanna try it...I figure, If I try it, I'll want to own it too...

I think the most feminine version of this frag is the new EdP
    the Parfum and EdT are great for men, just the EdP seems more feminine
    I have samples of both that I need to try ASAP!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Vintage No 19 works very well as a unisex in all concentrations, but the reformulations are brighter and especially the edp is more flowery; I agree that this is the least appropriate for anyone feeling insecure about wearing a feminine fragrance.