Code of Conduct

Default I'm going to New Orleans!

I am so excited! I am leaving for New Orleans on Sunday, which is also My anniversary ( 24th). I was revisiting Quarrys New Orleans thread and now I'm really pumped. I remember seeing the shops she visited on previous trips but I was alone with DH and he is just not going to stand around while I sniff anything. We are going with my Parents and Brother and Sister-In -Law so I will have the others distract hubby while I sneak off. New Orleans is my all time favorite city and I have been many times but it always feel new and familiar at the same time when I go.

If anyone has any suggestions ( fragrant or otherwise)I am open for all comments

Default Re: I'm going to New Orleans!

I've never been to the USA but I've seen the TV shows and movies and I've always thought New Orleans must smell like Gardenias or Tuberose, maybe a really big, meaty night blooming Jasmine. Am I even vaguely right?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I visited New Orleans over 20 years ago, in the month of July. Very hot! It was 117 degrees - all we could do during the day was drink!!! Gigantic drinks called hurricanes, and fruity slushy ones in plastic cups...it's a blurr...but I do remember sobering up with some chickory at the Cafe du Monde. Also, there were crawfish aplenty! You might need a hurricane or two before sucking on one of those critters! From what I can recall, there was a carnival/tropical smell to the place...the extreme heat brought with it some spice, and salty sweat. Mossy greens with a waft of mimosa here and there...that's how I remember it!
    At any rate, you're sure to have a fantastic time!

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I visited New Orleans over 20 years ago, in the month of July. Very hot! It was 117 degrees - all we could do during the day was drink!!! Gigantic drinks called hurricanes, and fruity slushy ones in plastic cups...it's a blurr...but I do remember sobering up with some chickory at the Cafe du Monde. Also, there were crawfish aplenty! You might need a hurricane or two before sucking on one of those critters! From what I can recall, there was a carnival/tropical smell to the place...the extreme heat brought with it some spice, and salty sweat. Mossy greens with a waft of mimosa here and there...that's how I remember it!
    At any rate, you're sure to have a fantastic time!
    That's how I recall it too, mossy like a chypre city. Of all our US cities it is one that I would not mind smelling like. (I think that is my problem with the Bond line, all the NYC neighborhood names. There is not one NYC neighborhood that has a smell I would care to spray on! Usually it is something I want to wash off.)

Have a great time TDI and let us know what you buy!

Enjoy! Bourbon French perfumes, for sure.

Blog Entries

As a former Lus'isiannen (Red Stick - Baton Rouge) suggest you chow down to great creole (and cajan) cooking - make sure you have some sweet cushaw, gumbo ...and pralines to snack on. Pay a visit to Queen Marie's tomb
    http://www.hauntedneworleanstours.com/marielaveau/

and make some wishes - and have a wonderful time Share pics with us when you return.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

How fun!! Now there is great incentive to go on on a NO BUY kick til you get to New Orleans

And squeeze in at least one lazy continental breakfast with a plate of beignet.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Be sure to check out Hové for us all, would you? Pretty please with sugar on top?
    Here's the info: http://www.hoveparfumeur.com
    MASSIVE FRAG SALE -- EVERYTHING HAS TO GO: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=203937
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 3rd January 2008 at 08:40 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Lucky you TDI, sounds like a wonderful trip. Have fun!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Thanks for all the suggestions. I always return home from NOLA with a severe case of what I call beignet butt, which is caused by spending excessive amounts of time at Cafe Dumonde Dee we did the cemetary tour and visited an actual Voodoo temple on our first trip...it was fascinating. My favorite place for breakfast is Elizabeths which is about a mile from the french quarter on Chartres ( they have unbelievable praline bacon and bananas foster french toast...someone give me a hit of insulin). I will be sure to report back on my escapades. I will try to get pictures but I am somewhat of an electronics idiot.

Have fun tdi! Hope you show us some pics when you return

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Oooh. Envy. Take me with you! I want to go back--even if I were limited to only the smelly shops!

Dig the synchronicity of this--Robin just posted a YouTube video of Hové!
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...4/3447021.html
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Be sure to check out Hové for us all, would you? Pretty please with sugar on top?
    Here's the info: http://www.hoveparfumeur.com
    I'm sure tdi's already memorized their lineup. For those who joined in the as two months, here's my NOLA trip report: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=201394

I can't wait to read about your sniffing adventures and see your photos, tdi!
    Last edited by Quarry; 4th January 2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I am trying to get back in the swing of things....my trip was fabulous. I have lots of NOLA pictures but only a few of Hove, which was so beautiful. I have new fragrances to try ( Hubby bought be a petite perfume sampler) so I will report on those as soon as I can. If I can figure out how to post my pics I will also do that ( i belong in the electronics special ed class)

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Welcome back, tdi! Let us know if you need help posting those titillating pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    I am trying to get back in the swing of things....my trip was fabulous. I have lots of NOLA pictures but only a few of Hove, which was so beautiful. I have new fragrances to try ( Hubby bought be a petite perfume sampler) so I will report on those as soon as I can. If I can figure out how to post my pics I will also do that ( i belong in the electronics special ed class)
    I'm so GLAD you made it to Hove Parfumeur! Love that little place.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The