Code of Conduct

Default So, Kilian's Straight to Heaven, a review...

After this, no more mega posts, I PROMISE!!! But I feel it's my duty to post on this since it's available in only a few locations...

Well, I should start out by saying that my impressions today are different than yesterday and I'm learning how to wear this to exploit its rich, earthiness to the maximum... I have to spray twice on each location to really get the dirty patchouli note that made me fall in love with it the first few times I smelled it. I also feel that this will be enhanced in warmer weather, we'll just have to see... I love that soily, foresty note ANYWAY, and here, it is employed beautifully...

First, let's start with the press... because the published description is VERY accurate... "The leitmotif here is Rum, a sexy note blending the heat of Caribbean islands with Patchouli, hot and deep. The mystery of its aura is deepened by Nutmeg, Cedar and Brazilian Rosewood. This life-giving alcohol definitely leads us into temptation, an invitation to partake of forbidden fruit." Developed by perfumer Sidonie Lancesseur.

Ingredients (found at bykilian.com, a beautiful website where you can see the black tanks and BEAUTIFUL locking boxes the fragrance comes in, cradled in cushioned black satin): Martinican Rum Absolute, Dried fruits accord, Javanese Nutmeg Oil, Hedoine, Cedarwood accord, Indonesian Patchouli Oil, Ambergris, Vanilla Absolute, and White Musk.

So, with two sprays in the same location, this smells very earthy and laden with patchouli at the opening, but nowhere near the depth as the new Luxe from CdG... this is a somewhat sheer fragrance, that is, it doesn't hit you hard, but it is complex, and rich. It's not boozy in the traditional sense, but the Rum is most evident at the beginning, and it and Patchouli work together as a team, neither note dominating. The nutmeg is fantastic here because I smell the shell and the powder, warm, spicy, with an element of bark.

The woods in Straight to Heaven are fantastic, light, soft, beautiful. Cedar is listed as a note but it's not the cedar I've come to know. I don't really even want to mention it because I'd hate for anyone to think this has a cedar impression, because it doesn't. Perhaps the soft wood I'm smelling here is Rosewood. Whatever the case, the wood is gentle but masculine, as if touched with a light brush stroke of natural unsweetened vanilla...

It's a fragrance that wafts roundly and softly, somewhat dark and earthy. And the reason why I bought it is because besides making me swoon a little with every sniff, it combined all my favorite perfume elements, those being: dirt, food, and woods... So this is, technically, the first earthy/woody/gourmand I've met, and we are VERY good friends (Gourmand haters, don't worry... it's not what you think)...

So, yes, it's $225 plus tax for just 50 mL, that's ridiculous. BUT, you get that amazing box, the side of the bottle is textured in the most amazing pattern.. it feels so great in the hands (see website) AND what MOST people don't realize... WHEN YOU GET IT REFILLED IT ONLY COSTS $90!!!!!!!!!!! That's not ALL that bad! And I'll be getting this refilled. Plus, Bergdorf will send it to you, refilled, shipping taken care of.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by nthny; 3rd January 2008 at 05:03 PM.

Default Re: So, Kilian's Straight to Heaven, a review...

Excellent review. "Straight to Heaven" is the best Kilian IMO. I'll only had a comment. It is the smell of Rosewood that makes this woody one more unique. Most have cedarwood, sandlewood, pine or other common varieties. I play a guitar made out of rosewood and you can easily smell the rosewood when playing it, just as in wearing "Straight to Heaven" Great sillage and lasting power to boot.

Have you tried Idole by Lubin? If so, how does it compare to Straight to Heaven. The notes sound similar.

Hey don't worry about the mega posts...they are most enjoyable and enlightening.

Peace,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 3rd January 2008 at 06:35 PM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Basenotes Institution

It sounds lovely and almost as enticing as Spiriteuse Double Vanille by Guerlain, which I am also dying to try. The nutmeg note sounds curiously wonderful.

Thanks for the great review nthny.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    Have you tried Idole by Lubin? If so, how does it compare to Straight to Heaven. The notes sound similar.
    Yes, I have, briefly. To me, STH is a bit more dense and compact. The similarities were noted on the blog Perfume-Smellin' Things as well though I'm not familiar enough with Idole to make a really accurate judgement. All I know is that I smelled both on my arm within 15 minutes of each other and I didn't remember the Lubin once I smelled the Kilian.

Thanks for the 'thanks' everyone... my pleasure!

I forgot to add, for whatever it's worth, that Kilian wears A TASTE of Heaven in the day and Straight to Heaven at night. Both are amazing
    Last edited by nthny; 3rd January 2008 at 07:02 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    I forgot to add, for whatever it's worth, that Kilian wears A TASTE of Heaven in the day and Straight to Heaven at night. Both are amazing
    And neither of them on his wrists!

Hee, hee...[sorry, I couldn't resist]

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    Hey don't worry about the mega posts...they are most enjoyable and enlightening.

Peace,

Otto
    Seconded. Mega posts are the best kind!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    And neither of them on his wrists!

Hee, hee...[sorry, I couldn't resist]
    hahaha! Totally true! Well, he and I don't have that in common... I'm a wrist person because I like to have instant access throughout the day... so I guess that makes me a pretty girl

You've got me interested in this fragrance to be sure. You mentioned and described what you think might be the brazilian rosewood note in Straight to Heaven. Have you ever tried CdG "Palisander"? It would be interesting to know if there might be any similarities (perhaps there are none at all). A long time ago I had a guitar constructed in Peru that had palisander wood on the sides and back. Palisander, as I understood it then, is a type of rosewood.

Hi scentsual. Yes, actually I play the bassoon in an orchestra (yes, it's true, it's not a joke hahaha) and they make them of palisander occasionally.. as far as i'm aware, it's the same wood, with a different name. I'm an easily influenced guy, so I don't know how this will sound but for some reason Palisander by CdG seemed "red" to me, whereas STH is more brown, with the nutmeg, rum, wood, and vanilla notes.
    Last edited by nthny; 4th January 2008 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    You've got me interested in this fragrance to be sure. You mentioned and described what you think might be the brazilian rosewood note in Straight to Heaven. Have you ever tried CdG "Palisander"? It would be interesting to know if there might be any similarities (perhaps there are none at all). A long time ago I had a guitar constructed in Peru that had palisander wood on the sides and back. Palisander, as I understood it then, is a type of rosewood.
    I've tried Palisander several times but it wasn't strong enough for my dry skin. Palisander is nice but I don't think there are any similarities. Straight to Heaven is more robust and is unique. Don't try to smell where you spray. This one is all about how it smells from afar. Sit back and it just enjoy the sillage from time to time.

good thing you told me the refill is 90 dollars........seems like an incredible bargain compared to the 240 i paid for the original bottle.

=)~
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 4th January 2008 at 01:04 AM.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    good thing you told me the refill is 90 dollars........seems like an incredible bargain compared to the 240 i paid for the original bottle.

=)~
    Wow, they didn't tell you that??? That seems like kind of an important detail! Yeah, you just bring your old bottle in and they dump more in... I'm wondering if they'll fill it with another one next time. I was really undecided between this one and A Taste of Heaven.

Wow, they didn't tell you that??? That seems like kind of an important detail! Yeah, you just bring your old bottle in and they dump more in... I'm wondering if they'll fill it with another one next time. I was really undecided between this one and A Taste of Heaven.
    lol...i didnt even try any other killian....

but you know which fragrance i liked out of the ones i tried? Tom Ford Extreme.....seemed like a pretty linear woddy/citrusy scent but it had such a kick to it......and its longevity is amazing.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I'm sorry to report, this house totally failed to charm me. The base notes on all the scents have horrible development.

Basenotes Plus

I love A Taste of Heaven, get tons of compliments too. Each of the scents had their own distinct personality. Their development was fantastic on me, made it difficult to choose only one. Killian helped me & made sure I knew about the refill price.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Interesting that the ingredients of each fragrance, together with their proportions, are listed on the By Kilian website--sort of an "open source" fragrance. Some of the DIY'ers may want to try their hand at concocting these scents (assuming, of course, that the raw materials available to DIY BN'ers even approaches the quality of those available to Calice Becker, et al.).
    Last edited by Circa1905; 6th January 2008 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I love A Taste of Heaven, get tons of compliments too.
    I completely agree - for Straight to Heaven! Received my box two days ago. This scent is unique, sensual, voluptuous and simply amazing. My coworker (female) called it the best ever I was wearing in the office. So I can't wait to give the other heaven by Kilian a trial...the taste of heaven.
    Last edited by fly777; 12th January 2008 at 09:58 PM.

I dunno, somehow this whole brand, and the way it has been launched just screams "HYPE!" to me, reviews haven't been all that good either, but still I'm also curious as hell, so that's why I will definitely get me some samples to at least find out for myself what all the fuzz is about.
    Last edited by Domingo; 12th January 2008 at 09:54 PM.

How does the refill work? Is there a certain period of time that you have to wait for before they refill your bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Killian helped me & made sure I knew about the refill price.

I already put in an order for a sample from TPC - it's on it's way! I'm looking forward to it. I like Lubin Idole a lot (just doesn't last long...) so if it's even a little similar (but hopefully not too similar... ) then I'm sure it will be wonderful. Thanks nthny for the great review and your previous story!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    I dunno, somehow this whole brand, and the way it has been launched just screams "HYPE!" to me, reviews haven't been all that good either, but still I'm also curious as hell, so that's why I will definitely get me some samples to at least find out for myself what all the fuzz is about.
    yeah it's hypey but once I smelled this, none of any of that mattered... i knew i had to have it.... this line also sits next to the Caron urns in Bergdorf Goodman, where I bought mine, which was kind of cool to me. And you know, there IS something Faustian about this line, something poetic. The don't really tell stories or highlight specific NOTES per se, but they are very poetic compositions, and I liked that. So, hype or not, STH smells heavenly to me. I also chose it after smelling about every niche offering in NYC, not saying it was better than those, but for what I was looking for, this really stood out. I sort of discounted the line based on the reviews, too, but reviews only tell you so much. Once smelling this I couldn't even look at the Malle line, and those are VERY well reviewed. So definitely give them a try.

Schachman... it was my pleasure!
    Last edited by nthny; 13th January 2008 at 02:06 AM.

Kilian is a fantastic line. Modern twists on classic ideas, done with amazing balance and super fine ingredients. Did you get a chance to try Cruel Intentions? That one has me jazzed. The new Frapin's share the same mindset as the Kilians.

OK, so far I tested my sample and rum`s Straight to Heaven is most boring and uninspiring of three masculine-multigender from Oeuvre Noire by Kilian...
    booooring...
    Rush for Men by Gucci or Gucci Homme made the woody impression better, without any marketing ploys and glamour luxe poems... and cheaper - for the cost of amazing box and bottles.
    (I`ve heard a rumour about the cost of packaging abd design of Kilian line - he invested 0,8 mln euro in its development, so the price per unit)

I found Absinthe and Oud scents much more inspiring, though not totally unique (Oud reminds me M7 and Absinthe reminds of Caron pour une Homme), but very good commercial things that are lovely to wear.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

This sounds fantastic.....Gary

moonfish.. I'm so sorry you found it boring... well, lucky you've got the Gucci then... (which I like as well, but it's to my nose a different fragrance all together.. i think that perhaps (only perhaps) the boring you get in the Killians is the milky, creamy, blond wood effect of rosewood, but maybe not and the fact that besides the nutmeg, there are no prickly spices in this, so it's quite a rounded, oily (patchouli) fragrance. This is in my mind a very brown, creamy color... there's no citrus brightening things up or spices carrying you away to far off lands or herbs... it's dense! but sublte... Just when I think it's gone, someone tells me how good I smell. That's a weird thing I've noticed about this, and it's uncanny.

we all often hold perfumes up to this odd double standard (I've found)... huge corporations, car companies, retail clothing, etc, spend billions on advertising and marketing. Furniture companies are notorious for marking up couches 200 or 300%, every pair of nice jeans has marketing and advertising and store ownership costs woven into every pant leg. This is a niche brand that is sold in two places in the United States, of course, one is going to expect to pay a little more, and one DOES know he or she is paying for the box and bottle because they are beautiful! But I personally smell a high concentration of oils in all of Kilian's fragrances, and VERY FINE ingredients. Anyway, It's not silly to pay more for a box, if that's what you want to do Like I've mentioned, the refill is more reasonably priced. (p.s. I actually keep the box locked so I have to unlock it every time and take the key out of its little case and all... yeah yeah, it's cute-sy and silly and maybe a little immature but, eh, these days, anything to put a smile on your face And I also pose this food for thought... Why can't a perfumer use modern influences in the inspiration for his or her creations? It's funny, in every ad we see for department store brands, it's something like, "for the modern man who desires something or knows something etc...." Why can't Kilian say he thought about Faust and Snoop Dogg? I'll admit, it annoyed me at first until I met the fragrances in person in the store.

As with so many fragrances, this is totally different sprayed than dabbed. The "dirtier" aspects of patchouli and cedar come through more... I dabbed some on the other day of a sample they gave me and it was a different "experience". If anyone orders samples of this, I'd order the mini-spray.

I also loved a taste of heaven (i don't know why but i get this sweet, yet resinous baked bread-y effect and reminds me of something that could be a part of the L'Artisan line, not so much Caron, but that's just me) perhaps the only piece of marketing they use that is worth anything is the modern vs. romantic/gothic effect... there is a definite nod to BOTH in these fragrances. The decision between the two was so hard to make I'm hoping they'll let me refill my bottle with the other one.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    How does the refill work? Is there a certain period of time that you have to wait for before they refill your bottle?
    The refill costs $90 US. I can't say for sure what would happen at Aedes (apparently many were sold there as it was sold out when I went to purchase it in December... they said that because of the holidays they really sold a lot of everything which made me very happy for them ) so I bought mine at Bergdorf and they said I'd just send the bottle, and they refill it (since I don't live in NYC) and send it back to me, all shipping and handling covered. I also asked for three samples of STH to give to friends, and they gave me Love on accident, so I called and they sent me FREE of charge, samples of STH as well as asking me if there was anything else in the store I'd like a sample of... now that's service I assume for as long as the fragrance exists, one can refill it.
    Last edited by nthny; 13th January 2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Nicely said, nthny, and I agree with your thoughts. Did you realise some similarity with Tom Ford Extreme on the woody dry down, as I did?

I only did a quick sniff of TF Extreme, fly777... I wish I could get back to you on that one but I don't remember it well enough because I only focused on the initial impression.

nthny,
    no reasons to be sorry about
    Tastes and people are different, and I`m glad you found your Holy Graal in that bottle by Kilian
    There`s no House that pleased everyone by every scent launched.

You love Straight to Heaven, I like Cruel Intentions and A Taste of Heaven so far - and I definitely adore the package... But I did not found any scent by Kilian to be groundbreaking - they are good commercial scents with glamour (chic, gothic, luxe, pretentious, whatever) press-releases and enormous price-tag... The price-tag and packaging are actually uber-lux - and I wish to Kilian Hennessy all the best on his way to uber-prosperity
    And I will support his prosperity with my euros
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Just tried my sample from TPC.

Well, I don't know if I sprayed it too close to the skin and so it's too concentrated locally, but I find it a bit sweet and so far it hasn't developed enough to say much else. I won't say boring, but I find it a bit pretentious without going too deep into anything. I'm hoping that the top note I'm still smelling after 1/2 hour goes away soon to develop into something more. I'll try again tomorrow, but with a lighter mist to the wrists and just a couple sprays to chest (it's a small sample, so it won't be too heavy).

Question Re: So, Kilian's Straight to Heaven, a review...

Is it me or is there a striking similarities of "Straight to Heaven" and "Terre D'Hermes? Has anyone else noticed?

Quote Originally Posted by kharisma92 View Post
    Is it me or is there a striking similarities of "Straight to Heaven" and "Terre D'Hermes? Has anyone else noticed?
    No similarities to Terre d'Hermes for me - this is much too sweet/gourmand in my opinion. Now, after some hours after spraying this, I understand the reason not to smell too closely as thebeck said. Yet, I certainly thought I would get more woods from this, and something more earthy... but like I said above, I think I will try again tomorrow but with less concentrated local spraying.

Hi, kharisma92... I feel bad writing because perhaps people are thinking I want to keep this topic open and open and open but that wasn't the intent (actually now I feel a little weird about having written because my appreciation for STH was very personal and I know that sometimes I like things that no one else likes and I'd hate to think anyone wasted their excitement over a fragrance that was only great to me) but, since you asked.. I honestly, and I don't mean ANY offense, don't see anything similar between the two. Since TdH has grapefruit/bitter orange, vetiver, and flint notes, and STH has rum and vanilla, nutmeg patchouli, I can't make the connection but I know I've smelled things in fragrances that others would totally disagree with...

Schachman, the earthy I smell is patchouli, nothing like the earthy in, say, vetiver extraordinaire, french lover, route de vetiver, etc... . It's weird, I kinda lost it yesterday quicker than usual, and then I woke up and felt like i was really surrounded by it... weird... it's stuck in my sweater too...
    Last edited by nthny; 15th January 2008 at 02:53 AM.

Hi, kharisma92... I feel bad writing because perhaps people are thinking I want to keep this topic open and open and open but that wasn't the intent (actually now I feel a little weird about having written because my appreciation for STH was very personal and I know that sometimes I like things that no one else likes and I'd hate to think anyone wasted their excitement over a fragrance that was only great to me) but, since you asked..

Schachman, the earthy I smell is patchouli, nothing like the earthy in, say, vetiver extraordinaire, french lover, route de vetiver, etc... . It's weird, I kinda lost it yesterday quicker than usual, and then I woke up and felt like i was really surrounded by it... weird... it's stuck in my sweater too...
    Don't worry! It's great to try something new and interesting and very distinct - which this is! Truly enjoyed your review and thoughts! (It's what basenotes is about anyway, at least in part right? )

I didn't get the patchouli yet - I get some dusty woods right now, but also a rich vanilla - coming across as something like cooked (not burnt) sugar. I can see this garnering compliments - and the sillage is certainly there... wafting up to my nose. I just stopped sticking my nose at my wrist!

So, yes, it's $225 plus tax for just 50 mL, that's ridiculous. BUT, you get that amazing box, the side of the bottle is textured in the most amazing pattern.. it feels so great in the hands (see website) AND what MOST people don't realize... WHEN YOU GET IT REFILLED IT ONLY COSTS $90!!!!!!!!!!! That's not ALL that bad! And I'll be getting this refilled. Plus, Bergdorf will send it to you, refilled, shipping taken care of.
    But wait, even after the "reduced price" refill I would have paid $315.00 for 100ml.

I thought that two hundred was the new one hundred in perfume pricing. Turns out I was $100.00 off.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Smile Re: So, Kilian's Straight to Heaven, a review...

Hi, kharisma92... I feel bad writing because perhaps people are thinking I want to keep this topic open and open and open but that wasn't the intent (actually now I feel a little weird about having written because my appreciation for STH was very personal and I know that sometimes I like things that no one else likes and I'd hate to think anyone wasted their excitement over a fragrance that was only great to me) but, since you asked.. I honestly, and I don't mean ANY offense, don't see anything similar between the two. Since TdH has grapefruit/bitter orange, vetiver, and flint notes, and STH has rum and vanilla, nutmeg patchouli, I can't make the connection but I know I've smelled things in fragrances that others would totally disagree with...

Nthny
    I really enjoyed your post and think that Straight to Heaven is a darn good creation! I ordered 6 decants of the new line based on the journey you allowed us to travel on with you. I realize that the notes are different(the earthiness is what I am detecting),but there is something there that is similar in both of these fragrances. Coolwater and GIT have different ingredients(they both have sandalwood),but there is something there that is similar(its not the sandalwood). I'm sure these fragrance houses never reveal 100% of all the ingredients which could be the reason for the tie in between the two. I don't at all think they're the same(STH has much more depth) but the earthy notes seems close to my nose.
    I have another dilema... my wife says STH is ok, but my female co-workers thinks its different and AWESOME! LOL! I think I'm going to purchase anyway!

Good Smelling!

Basenotes Institution

So...I finally got to try Straight to Heaven (thanks nthny) and I gave it two full wearings last week, before I posted my thoughts.

- Rum, rum and more rum. Quite possibly the booziest fragrance I've ever come across. Idole - not even close! Idole is slightly transparent and it's booze notes wafts in and out. Tommy Bahama Set Sails St. Barts is strong tequila also, but since the tequila/agave note is a lot more brighter and sharp it tends to fade. However the STH rum note is sweet, strong, dense and it doesn't fade. It stays around for quite a while
    - Hidden ever so cleverly right behind the rum note, is a soft smell of coconut. In my opinion it loosens up the rum a little and lightens the mood. Honestly I made the mental connection of a pina colada (rum, coconut - duh!) but STH is not the smell of a pina colada at all and doesn't connotate the images that other more 'beach' inspired scents do (Virgin Island Water, for instance) but instead uses the coconut note to good effect to introduce the sweetnes to follow.
    - The sweetness of the rum mixed with the rosewood is perfectly balanced - no, it's not dry but effortlessly soft and luxurious. Fans of Betrand Dachaufour's fragrances (Sequoia by CdG; the Eau de Italie line or Kyoto by CdG to name a few) will know exactly what I'm talking about. A very well done sweet.
    - The booze notes that linger take on a syrupy effect after they've been on your skin for a while and smell almost 'hot'. I think it most resembled the olfactory effect of sitting in front of a dessert being cooked with liquer (Bananas Foster?) and smelling the combination of sugar and liquer being cooked at a high temperature.
    - The patchouli in the middle and drydown was very light and not overpowering at all - as mentioned above, this scent is enjoyed much more from afar (not sniffing your skin up close) so to smell the patchouli I had to really smell my skin up close. Of course when I did this, I got a nose chock full of booze and sugar with the patchouli.
    - First time I wore it, the scent suffered horrible longevity. The second time, it lasted much longer and lingered on me all afternoon.
    - I think this is the perfect scent for clubbing, dining at a loud/noisy restaurant or...more intimate situations (wink, wink). I wore it to the office, and felt totally inappropriately scented.
    - The overall impression I got from STH, is one of getting drunk and capturing that feeling of: dizziness, relaxation and sensuality in a fragrance. I PM'd a few Basenoters after I tested STH the first time and described the scent as: the experience of getting drunk and falling into the most softest and furriest velvet sofa - while music plays in the background. I could have enjoyed STH on my last summer vacation in Puerto Rico!

p.s. = Aedes is currently out of stock on two scents in the Kilian line, one of them is Straight to Heaven. Not sure what that means...but I thought I'd mention it.
    p.s.s. = the bottles and the refill station from Kilian are positively gorgeous, no?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    - The sweetness of the rum mixed with the rosewood is perfectly balanced - no, it's not dry but effortlessly soft and luxurious. Fans of Betrand Dachaufour's fragrances (Sequoia by CdG; the Eau de Italie line or Kyoto by CdG to name a few) will know exactly what I'm talking about. A very well done sweet.
    I knew it.....from the first sniff of Straight to Heaven.....I could detect the association with 'Kyoto'......I searched all the threads on basenotes and even googled it to see if anyone else thought STH had any association with Kyoto and here I found it....in the last thread in the search results......

I bet anyone...the first few seconds on spraying STH are 'very very similar' to Kyoto....I am not sure what the common notes are....but the link is very straightforward.....

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    ...I bet anyone...the first few seconds on spraying STH are 'very very similar' to Kyoto....I am not sure what the common notes are....but the link is very straightforward.....
    I think the sweet coffee in Kyoto and the rum in Straight to Heaven are both rich and call to mind the same culinary sweetness to mind when first sprayed - plus both feature an underpinning of cedar and patchouli that kinds of shifts here-and-there.

I think that the CdG is much more grounding, and perhaps 'comfortable' though - it's something you can wear to bed with pajamas. Whereas STH is so sensual and going-out-on-the-town smelling IMO.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Oh hell no you didn't!!! I mean good God, does that damn Terre H' Hermes have to be mentioned in EVERY thread on here?!!!! What an insult to Straight to Heaven!!! There is no comparison. STH is absolutely lovely. TDH isn't. And the second I'm done typing, I'll go ahead and indulge myself in a spray of my STH...

Maybe it is time for a poll for the best in Kiian line (or your fav)? I would do it if I knew how...... I saw a few polls on a few threads, and think Kilian line deserves its own poll...............

Anyone found similarites between STH and CDG Kyoto? And has anyone here tried Kilian's CRUEL INTENTIONS? which sillage is better, STH or CI? Thanks

Damn, id love to purchase Back to Black and this one, but the prices just are insane here (€175)

But i gotta say though, their packaging and presentation, is to me one of , if not, the best i've seen on a frag
    Last edited by Young Dro; 9th February 2010 at 12:01 AM.

Thumbs up Re: So, Kilian's Straight to Heaven, a review...

Ok I have been rockin STH recently and I have never, ever received so many compliments from people. My My My. WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Women have been grabbing me and coming close in my orbit to get a whiff. One female said "Oh Yes, I will be getting that for my husband." I told her that it was a bit pricy and she would have to purchase online. She responded "Not a problem."

Yeah I know its boozy but it soars for me. This will definetly have to be a got-to-always-have. I just love this juice.

Improving Every Day,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Sorry to join this old thread.
    I just wanted to let you know that I have used Straight To Heaven FB for 6 months and it is almost empty.

My girlfriend and lots of people in my area love this scent. They claim that STH doesn´t smell like a perfume.
    They prefer STH to ATOH, Cruel Intentions, IB and so on.
    I get most compliments by wearing STH and I really like it.

I am a fan of STH but I dont get the positive reactions you do from it. But it is in my rotation and glad I have this one.

It`s my favorit from By Killian.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It`s my favorit from By Killian.
    Among my favorites from this house.

Basenotes Member

So from a woman's point of view, I can tell you I will follow any man wearing this...I have been working through all of the By Kilians and when I sprayed this, I stopped. MikePerez23, you are right on the money! Heady, dizziness and pure sensual fragrance. So I put it side and gave it to my husband. I said wear this today. Now, he supports my crazy perfume habits and knows it's rare when I give him something to wear but after 15 years of marriage, this was a wonderful lift! Vavoom! Now hubby will yell "Which one am I supposed to wear?" without prompting! This from a man who doesn't give 2 toots about fragrance.

how about the longevity?

how about the longevity?

Basenotes Member

Most of Kilians fragrances will last 12+ hours. I think his stuff is just 1% shy of required oils to be considered pure perfume. However, it doesn't extend too far past personal space. I would recommend sampling first though.