Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: So, Kilian's Straight to Heaven, a review...

Just tried my sample from TPC.

Well, I don't know if I sprayed it too close to the skin and so it's too concentrated locally, but I find it a bit sweet and so far it hasn't developed enough to say much else. I won't say boring, but I find it a bit pretentious without going too deep into anything. I'm hoping that the top note I'm still smelling after 1/2 hour goes away soon to develop into something more. I'll try again tomorrow, but with a lighter mist to the wrists and just a couple sprays to chest (it's a small sample, so it won't be too heavy).
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Question Re: So, Kilian's Straight to Heaven, a review...

Is it me or is there a striking similarities of "Straight to Heaven" and "Terre D'Hermes? Has anyone else noticed?

Quote Originally Posted by kharisma92 View Post
    Is it me or is there a striking similarities of "Straight to Heaven" and "Terre D'Hermes? Has anyone else noticed?
    No similarities to Terre d'Hermes for me - this is much too sweet/gourmand in my opinion. Now, after some hours after spraying this, I understand the reason not to smell too closely as thebeck said. Yet, I certainly thought I would get more woods from this, and something more earthy... but like I said above, I think I will try again tomorrow but with less concentrated local spraying.

Hi, kharisma92... I feel bad writing because perhaps people are thinking I want to keep this topic open and open and open but that wasn't the intent (actually now I feel a little weird about having written because my appreciation for STH was very personal and I know that sometimes I like things that no one else likes and I'd hate to think anyone wasted their excitement over a fragrance that was only great to me) but, since you asked.. I honestly, and I don't mean ANY offense, don't see anything similar between the two. Since TdH has grapefruit/bitter orange, vetiver, and flint notes, and STH has rum and vanilla, nutmeg patchouli, I can't make the connection but I know I've smelled things in fragrances that others would totally disagree with...

Schachman, the earthy I smell is patchouli, nothing like the earthy in, say, vetiver extraordinaire, french lover, route de vetiver, etc... . It's weird, I kinda lost it yesterday quicker than usual, and then I woke up and felt like i was really surrounded by it... weird... it's stuck in my sweater too...
    Last edited by nthny; 15th January 2008 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Hi, kharisma92... I feel bad writing because perhaps people are thinking I want to keep this topic open and open and open but that wasn't the intent (actually now I feel a little weird about having written because my appreciation for STH was very personal and I know that sometimes I like things that no one else likes and I'd hate to think anyone wasted their excitement over a fragrance that was only great to me) but, since you asked..

Schachman, the earthy I smell is patchouli, nothing like the earthy in, say, vetiver extraordinaire, french lover, route de vetiver, etc... . It's weird, I kinda lost it yesterday quicker than usual, and then I woke up and felt like i was really surrounded by it... weird... it's stuck in my sweater too...
    Don't worry! It's great to try something new and interesting and very distinct - which this is! Truly enjoyed your review and thoughts! (It's what basenotes is about anyway, at least in part right? )

I didn't get the patchouli yet - I get some dusty woods right now, but also a rich vanilla - coming across as something like cooked (not burnt) sugar. I can see this garnering compliments - and the sillage is certainly there... wafting up to my nose. I just stopped sticking my nose at my wrist!

So, yes, it's $225 plus tax for just 50 mL, that's ridiculous. BUT, you get that amazing box, the side of the bottle is textured in the most amazing pattern.. it feels so great in the hands (see website) AND what MOST people don't realize... WHEN YOU GET IT REFILLED IT ONLY COSTS $90!!!!!!!!!!! That's not ALL that bad! And I'll be getting this refilled. Plus, Bergdorf will send it to you, refilled, shipping taken care of.
    But wait, even after the "reduced price" refill I would have paid $315.00 for 100ml.

I thought that two hundred was the new one hundred in perfume pricing. Turns out I was $100.00 off.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Smile Re: So, Kilian's Straight to Heaven, a review...

Hi, kharisma92... I feel bad writing because perhaps people are thinking I want to keep this topic open and open and open but that wasn't the intent (actually now I feel a little weird about having written because my appreciation for STH was very personal and I know that sometimes I like things that no one else likes and I'd hate to think anyone wasted their excitement over a fragrance that was only great to me) but, since you asked.. I honestly, and I don't mean ANY offense, don't see anything similar between the two. Since TdH has grapefruit/bitter orange, vetiver, and flint notes, and STH has rum and vanilla, nutmeg patchouli, I can't make the connection but I know I've smelled things in fragrances that others would totally disagree with...

Nthny
    I really enjoyed your post and think that Straight to Heaven is a darn good creation! I ordered 6 decants of the new line based on the journey you allowed us to travel on with you. I realize that the notes are different(the earthiness is what I am detecting),but there is something there that is similar in both of these fragrances. Coolwater and GIT have different ingredients(they both have sandalwood),but there is something there that is similar(its not the sandalwood). I'm sure these fragrance houses never reveal 100% of all the ingredients which could be the reason for the tie in between the two. I don't at all think they're the same(STH has much more depth) but the earthy notes seems close to my nose.
    I have another dilema... my wife says STH is ok, but my female co-workers thinks its different and AWESOME! LOL! I think I'm going to purchase anyway!

Good Smelling!

Basenotes Institution

So...I finally got to try Straight to Heaven (thanks nthny) and I gave it two full wearings last week, before I posted my thoughts.

- Rum, rum and more rum. Quite possibly the booziest fragrance I've ever come across. Idole - not even close! Idole is slightly transparent and it's booze notes wafts in and out. Tommy Bahama Set Sails St. Barts is strong tequila also, but since the tequila/agave note is a lot more brighter and sharp it tends to fade. However the STH rum note is sweet, strong, dense and it doesn't fade. It stays around for quite a while
    - Hidden ever so cleverly right behind the rum note, is a soft smell of coconut. In my opinion it loosens up the rum a little and lightens the mood. Honestly I made the mental connection of a pina colada (rum, coconut - duh!) but STH is not the smell of a pina colada at all and doesn't connotate the images that other more 'beach' inspired scents do (Virgin Island Water, for instance) but instead uses the coconut note to good effect to introduce the sweetnes to follow.
    - The sweetness of the rum mixed with the rosewood is perfectly balanced - no, it's not dry but effortlessly soft and luxurious. Fans of Betrand Dachaufour's fragrances (Sequoia by CdG; the Eau de Italie line or Kyoto by CdG to name a few) will know exactly what I'm talking about. A very well done sweet.
    - The booze notes that linger take on a syrupy effect after they've been on your skin for a while and smell almost 'hot'. I think it most resembled the olfactory effect of sitting in front of a dessert being cooked with liquer (Bananas Foster?) and smelling the combination of sugar and liquer being cooked at a high temperature.
    - The patchouli in the middle and drydown was very light and not overpowering at all - as mentioned above, this scent is enjoyed much more from afar (not sniffing your skin up close) so to smell the patchouli I had to really smell my skin up close. Of course when I did this, I got a nose chock full of booze and sugar with the patchouli.
    - First time I wore it, the scent suffered horrible longevity. The second time, it lasted much longer and lingered on me all afternoon.
    - I think this is the perfect scent for clubbing, dining at a loud/noisy restaurant or...more intimate situations (wink, wink). I wore it to the office, and felt totally inappropriately scented.
    - The overall impression I got from STH, is one of getting drunk and capturing that feeling of: dizziness, relaxation and sensuality in a fragrance. I PM'd a few Basenoters after I tested STH the first time and described the scent as: the experience of getting drunk and falling into the most softest and furriest velvet sofa - while music plays in the background. I could have enjoyed STH on my last summer vacation in Puerto Rico!

p.s. = Aedes is currently out of stock on two scents in the Kilian line, one of them is Straight to Heaven. Not sure what that means...but I thought I'd mention it.
    p.s.s. = the bottles and the refill station from Kilian are positively gorgeous, no?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    - The sweetness of the rum mixed with the rosewood is perfectly balanced - no, it's not dry but effortlessly soft and luxurious. Fans of Betrand Dachaufour's fragrances (Sequoia by CdG; the Eau de Italie line or Kyoto by CdG to name a few) will know exactly what I'm talking about. A very well done sweet.
    I knew it.....from the first sniff of Straight to Heaven.....I could detect the association with 'Kyoto'......I searched all the threads on basenotes and even googled it to see if anyone else thought STH had any association with Kyoto and here I found it....in the last thread in the search results......

I bet anyone...the first few seconds on spraying STH are 'very very similar' to Kyoto....I am not sure what the common notes are....but the link is very straightforward.....

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    ...I bet anyone...the first few seconds on spraying STH are 'very very similar' to Kyoto....I am not sure what the common notes are....but the link is very straightforward.....
    I think the sweet coffee in Kyoto and the rum in Straight to Heaven are both rich and call to mind the same culinary sweetness to mind when first sprayed - plus both feature an underpinning of cedar and patchouli that kinds of shifts here-and-there.

I think that the CdG is much more grounding, and perhaps 'comfortable' though - it's something you can wear to bed with pajamas. Whereas STH is so sensual and going-out-on-the-town smelling IMO.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Oh hell no you didn't!!! I mean good God, does that damn Terre H' Hermes have to be mentioned in EVERY thread on here?!!!! What an insult to Straight to Heaven!!! There is no comparison. STH is absolutely lovely. TDH isn't. And the second I'm done typing, I'll go ahead and indulge myself in a spray of my STH...

Maybe it is time for a poll for the best in Kiian line (or your fav)? I would do it if I knew how...... I saw a few polls on a few threads, and think Kilian line deserves its own poll...............

Anyone found similarites between STH and CDG Kyoto? And has anyone here tried Kilian's CRUEL INTENTIONS? which sillage is better, STH or CI? Thanks

Damn, id love to purchase Back to Black and this one, but the prices just are insane here (€175)

But i gotta say though, their packaging and presentation, is to me one of , if not, the best i've seen on a frag
    Last edited by Young Dro; 9th February 2010 at 12:01 AM.

Thumbs up Re: So, Kilian's Straight to Heaven, a review...

Ok I have been rockin STH recently and I have never, ever received so many compliments from people. My My My. WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Women have been grabbing me and coming close in my orbit to get a whiff. One female said "Oh Yes, I will be getting that for my husband." I told her that it was a bit pricy and she would have to purchase online. She responded "Not a problem."

Yeah I know its boozy but it soars for me. This will definetly have to be a got-to-always-have. I just love this juice.

Improving Every Day,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Sorry to join this old thread.
    I just wanted to let you know that I have used Straight To Heaven FB for 6 months and it is almost empty.

My girlfriend and lots of people in my area love this scent. They claim that STH doesn´t smell like a perfume.
    They prefer STH to ATOH, Cruel Intentions, IB and so on.
    I get most compliments by wearing STH and I really like it.

I am a fan of STH but I dont get the positive reactions you do from it. But it is in my rotation and glad I have this one.

It`s my favorit from By Killian.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It`s my favorit from By Killian.
    Among my favorites from this house.

Basenotes Member

So from a woman's point of view, I can tell you I will follow any man wearing this...I have been working through all of the By Kilians and when I sprayed this, I stopped. MikePerez23, you are right on the money! Heady, dizziness and pure sensual fragrance. So I put it side and gave it to my husband. I said wear this today. Now, he supports my crazy perfume habits and knows it's rare when I give him something to wear but after 15 years of marriage, this was a wonderful lift! Vavoom! Now hubby will yell "Which one am I supposed to wear?" without prompting! This from a man who doesn't give 2 toots about fragrance.

how about the longevity?

how about the longevity?

Basenotes Member

Most of Kilians fragrances will last 12+ hours. I think his stuff is just 1% shy of required oils to be considered pure perfume. However, it doesn't extend too far past personal space. I would recommend sampling first though.