Code of Conduct

Default Lemon With a Twist, Please

So often, lemon-heavy frags are boring and formulaic -- you know, the same tired old eau de toilette mixture of lemon, neroli, maybe some rosemary . . . . well, you get the picture. (Think Eau Sauvage with less quality and complexity alike.)

I for one am ga-ga about really good quality, lemon-heavy frags that really mix things up.

Three frags of this type come to mind right off the bat: 1) the rich, formal and stupidly discontinued Ungaro II (lemon and civet, with a dark and slightly brooding drydown), 2) the also discontinued but still affordable Versus by Versace (an extremely "edible" lemon with crisp coniferous notes) and 3) the expensive but incredibly elegant Lux by Mona di Orio (lemon, petitgrain, vetiver and labdanum).

What are some of your favorite "lemons with twists"?

MASSIVE FRAG SALE -- EVERYTHING LISTED MUST GO:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=203937
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 3rd January 2008 at 09:06 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Lemon With a Twist, Please

Isn't Egoïste Platinum lemon with a mint twist?

I always see a lemon candy rolled in menthol leaves before me when I apply Egoïste Platinum.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Basenotes Institution

Acqua Viva by Profumum (giggle inducing lemon rind that is 'Technicolor' bright and amazingly lasts a long time without smelling like Joy Dishwashing Liquid...which is always a plus)
    Lemon Sorbet by Etro (lemon juice and...the smell of a cigar smoking in the background)

Habit Rouge, with it's lemon, leather and vanilla vibe, comes to mind--very twisted, in a great, Guerlain way. My SOTD, as it happens!

I once smelled a very strange lemon with vanilla on a guy. Smelled pretty good actually, but when I asked him about it, turned out that it was actually a scent for women that he snatched from his baby sister. lol

Post Re: Lemon With a Twist, Please

AdP Colonia comes to mind.Lemon ( light ), and Bulgarian Rose gives this frag a little weight.
    Blenheim Bouquet,Lemon on top, smokey pine gives this frag. depth or weight.
    For the truest lemon in my opinion Eau d' Hadrien, Annick Goutal. That would be lemon, peel,zest, and seeds. Or Les nuits d' hadrien, same on top a little more depth on bottom.

Blenheim Bouquet -- how COULD I have left that one out of my original post? Good choice!

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Off-Scenter

Try Bahiana by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier (more of a mixed citrus, but great) and Iskander, by Parfum d'Empire.

GFT by Trumper is a long lasting lemon.

There are good ones already on this thread. I add:

L'Artisan's Zeste d'Eté. Lemon, lemon pith, and woody cedrat
    Signorrici. Masterpiece. Say no more.
    AdP Colonia, as mentioned above.
    Eau d'Hadrien and Hadrien Absolu, as mentioned above.
    Rochas Moustache: standard lemon but over powder. Sometimes lasts, sometimes doesn't.
    Jean Patou Eau de Patou: lemon juice over dirt, maybe with some wine or vermouth smell mixed in.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Profumum's Acqua Viva was a great surprise from a house that has such a heavy feel to most perfumes.

YSL PH is a very good one, very lemony, like Eau Savage but a bit sweeter and less musk

Not really a twist, actually arch-traditional, but Crown Imperial deserves a mention. Incredible lemon followed by powdery depths, very British. Creed Epicea, Like BB, combines citrus and pine, but in a very different style. Also a winner in my book.
    AdP, Signoricci, BB etc.are hardly unconventional (I gather that's what you meant by "twist), more like definitive classics actually, but they show just how much has been done with lemon. Of course, I even get a huge kick out of boring old traditional Eau de Colognes
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

both are very good lemon with twists:

SIGNORICCI

EAU DE ROCHAS HOMME

Dior's Eau Fraiche, citrus over powder and something animalic, one of Roudnitska's lesser known creations.

L'Instant de Guerlain has a unique lemon note that remains throughout the drydown, though it does become a bit muted. It's not an effervescent lemon; rather it is full-bodied and rounded, yet has crystal-clear clarity, often standing in contrast to the other notes. Great stuff.

versace versus

chemistry by clinique

My favorite "lemon with a twist" is Creed's superb Bois de Cedrat. It's a pretty pure, natural lemon with a hint of herbs and woods. Almost like the smell on my hands when I'm done cutting lemons behind the bar. It's kind of simple and minimalist and it dates from 1870, but it smells ever so subtly expensive and radiant.

Erolfa to me always seemed lemon was the strongest note....

a good natural lemon, not too sharp like a cleaning product, or wierdly sweet like fake lemon ice cream.

No one (including myself) has yet mentioned Terre d'Hermes. Talk about lemon with a twist!

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    No one (including myself) has yet mentioned Terre d'Hermes. Talk about lemon with a twist!
    I was under the impression that the citrus top notes were grapefruit, not lemon?

I almost forgot..Armani PH is all Lemon!