Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skarb: a review

Default Re: Skarb: a review

As for me, Skarb is a scent which desperately tries to be different, but without any success. I am not sure I can see any connection between Skarb and Sécrétions Magnifiques. The story behind Skarb is disgusting. What particularly bothers me is that they (ab)used a beautiful and noble term such as "Slavic soul" in such a worthless and blunt story.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Quote Originally Posted by peevish_yolk View Post
    As for me, Skarb is a scent which desperately tries to be different, but without any success. I am not sure I can see any connection between Skarb and Sécrétions Magnifiques. The story behind Skarb is disgusting. What particularly bothers me is that they (ab)used a beautiful and noble term such as "Slavic soul" in such a worthless and blunt story.
    Finally I agree. As of halfway slavonian ancestry I would shed a tear or two if I would care - obligatorily. The ad copy is hilarious.

When I first smelled it on blotter the high dosage of helional catched my nose. Now after two "full wearings" the dry down is still fully laden with that aromachemical (to my nose). The top and middle seem to come out different than first expected. On skin the scent prolongates a phase which resembles - to my nose - the aroma of typical Polish gherkins. The Polish are a bit different in that the gherkins are infused by / fermented to lactonic acid. The aroma is dominated spice wise by laurel instead of the more common dill/mostard kernels/onions combo. This is the same practice as with sauerkraut. This time with more laurel of a citric/tannic bitter aroma and a metallic/lactonic side note. The gherkins are usual very salty. The use of helional would be quite self evident here.

The concoction could insofar evoke childhood memories to a Polish man, thinking of his mother and home cooking for instance. But again - the scoop is hilarious. My physist is Polish, I don't think he would like to be categorized like H&G do with their male fellow countrymen.

Technically the scent is by no means as tenacious as for instance Etat Libre D'Orange Eloge Du Traitre. The latter comes close in that it plays on the same attitude in the dark, tannic spectrum. The whole scent seems to me more elaborated than Skarb, though. Skarb vanishes after about 3h into plain helional, while ELDOs EDT lasts 6+ hours still brooding underneath.

The comparison to ELDOs infamous Secretions Magnifique is VERY misleading. Both share a sharp, maybe "metallic" aspect. SM is by far more pungent in that, the term of a demonic twist is no hyperbole here. With Skarb it is more a sour/tannic side note from the "laurel" or even the helional may be. While SM goes further towards a slowly dis-balancing of that ueber Zing and balsamic/floral background (chestnut flower is said to resemble the smell of fresh human semen) Skarb is just linearly fading away. In other words, Skarb is one scent from start to end, letting the boring helional drydown aside, while SM is as short lived but develops from a foul rancid/metallic "bloody" smell over "fresh semen" to a flowery/woody base.

Skarb is not that bad, but the price tag is a political one. It will ever prevent the masses from buying it. The scent is different enough to be identified as not being a mass product. Both will keep it exclusive. Alas, that is it. I can't see any olfactory revelation that justifies this fragrance to stick out. That's a bit tiresome, vice versa regarding it being hilariously costly and unmotivated odd.

ps: Just read the so called "review" on Scented Salamander. Hey, if that insulting BS doesn't make You think about the business, nothing will.

pps: a foto of that fore mentioned sour gherkins, Polish/Russian variant - consider the milky look that arises from the fermentation process and the laurel in the left corner on bottom of the jar ... some kind of mamas treasure, literally so ... questionable if that connection is intentional, in that perfuemer Laudamiel used an overdose of metallic milky helional to create a dadaistic joke on the H&G firm?

Last edited by WildThingy; 22nd September 2010 at 07:55 AM.