Code of Conduct

Default Jean Louis Vermeil: A Review

Just received this in the mail today, and have to admit that I'm flustered by it already. It's not that I don't like it, mind you, but rather that I've no idea whatsoever about how to classify this one.

Its opening is heavy with crisp, citrusy notes (actually bergamot, it turns out), but there's a sharp green soapiness there as well that's disconcerting at first (think of the soapiness/greenness of Halston 1-12, minus the sharpness).

Soon begins the smoky, woody drydown that JockWithScents and DustB have talked about in past threads. Even then, the soapiness doesn't go away -- no, it lingers in the background long after the opening citrus notes have died down.

A fascinating frag, and a fun (albeit kitschy) "cigarette lighter" bottle. I can see wearing this one with sweaters and cords, much as I do Halston 1-12, Leonard pour Homme and R de Capucci already.

This is not a jeans-and-T-shirts frag, no, but it's not a black tie dandy, either. Definitely a sweater frag -- I can't imagine wearing it in warmer weather.

The longevity is marvelous for the price, and the sillage far better than average.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th January 2008 at 09:14 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Jean Louis Vermeil: A Review

Thanks Matt. I had no idea where to begin describing this one. It is fun to wear but I always feel like analyzing it when I wear it. Good job on the description., and yes, a fun bottle.

Jean Louis Vermeil Vermeil [for Men]

Top Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Black Currant, Galbanum
    Heart Notes: Carnation, Geranium, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Freesia, Violet Leaves, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, Coriander
    Base Notes: Patchouli, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Oak Moss, Musk

Don't know how reliable this pyramid is, but it's correct in the main.

A review of
    Vermeil [for Men] forthcoming.

scentemental

P.S. Thanks to Jock_With_Scents for introducing me to this marvel of a fragrance, and to Scentimus for helping me track down the notes pyramid.

Last edited by scentemental; 3rd January 2008 at 11:49 PM.

Let's all pick one of the next few days and wear this one at the same time.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Sure Chris; name the day.

scentemental

I'd be up for it tomorrow if JWS and TVLB can see this message in time. Otherwise Saturday.

This will be a great bus ride with you guys.

Count me in for tomorrow if the other respond it time.

Right, I'm sending out PMs.

Anyone else is welcome on the bus too of course.

I am in, will be my SOTD tomorrow. Should be fun. I will take notes.

I think Pluran owns this one ...maybe he would wear it tomorrow as well. Would be interested to hear his thoughts definitely too.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 4th January 2008 at 01:16 AM.

Last edited by pluran; 27th May 2008 at 07:24 PM.

(Pluran the man of subtlety speaks. Quoting his girlfriend above indicates he's saying yes to joining us.)

Wow! cl*t twitcher. I need to share this frag with some of my golf buddies then. They will speed to the local frag store here and buy them out! Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    I can see wearing this one with sweaters and cords...

This is not a jeans-and-T-shirts frag, no, but it's not a black tie dandy, either. Definitely a sweater frag -- I can't imagine wearing it in warmer weather.
    LMAO

I guess I won't be wearing it. I'm wearin jeans and a black t-shirt. Probably just be wearing some thin capilene and a pair of Uggs tomorrow. Let's see, what do I wear with that? On second thought, why would I ask...actually I just I wear whatever I want whenever I want. The clothes generally don't matter to me. It sounds interesting but complicated.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th May 2008 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    LMAO

I guess I won't be wearing it. I'm wearin jeans and a black t-shirt. Probably just be wearing some thin capilene and a pair of Uggs tomorrow. Let's see, what do I wear with that? On second thought, why would I ask...actually I just I wear whatever I want whenever I want. The clothes generally don't matter to me. It sounds interesting but complicated.
    For that, you'd definitely need that new Etat Libre Tom of Finland frag :toppie:
    Last edited by Circa1905; 4th January 2008 at 01:49 AM.

Glad to see this review because I ordered some but it was on back order. Will let you know what I think of it. I ordered it because of the bottle.

Guys ,, Its just jumped que into my get next list !!
    Thanks >> TV LB , DustB , pluran , Jock W S & scentemental ..
    lilkceleb >> looking forward to your comments too .
    cheers .

Last edited by pluran; 7th May 2008 at 03:50 AM.

Excellent review, pluran.

Who else here (let's have a quick head count) is wearing Vermeil today?

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Excellent review, pluran.

Who else here (let's have a quick head count) is wearing Vermeil today?
    Indeed, as always, an astute and excellent review pluran and beautifully written. I haven't been able to crack this nut, but pluran's comments have from the very first helped. Still pondering.

I am wearing it today so include me in the head count tvlampboy.

scentemental

I am wearing it. Or is it wearing me. I think I sprayed to much.

I'm in it too.

I'm not getting the soap you gents mention. In several ways this stuff is kicking my ass though.

What I get mostly from it is some kind of wet fruits. As such it kicks Anteaus into mind but the earliest comparison that occured to me is with the current formulation of Le Dandy by D'Orsay.

Something smells very old in this, yet it smells very young. It's almost primal for me, and seems to belong in an old sense, but smell youthful especially. It's like traveling when you're young. A smell of a different and far away city, a smell of the air and climate of a different place that the rest of your life you wish you could recapture, even if it was walking by a construction site, waiting on a street corner for a too-long light to change, and repeated passing through that air on the way to a characterless large hotel. It smells like all the different smells that come with that youthful traveling, like how the hotel soaps leave you smelling different from what you're used to, and the travel shampoo your parents packed for you smells different from your now previous you.

So Vermeil smells like a throwback, like something old. At the same time it smells like it might have been a Body Kouros of its day, although the two are nothing alike--except that they smell like clubbing scents. Old but for clubbing. That's what this morning of this juice has me thinking.
    --Chris
    Last edited by DustB; 4th January 2008 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I'm in it too.

I'm not getting the soap you gents mention. In several ways this stuff is kicking my ass though.

What I get mostly from it is some kind of wet fruits. As such it kicks Anteaus into mind but the earliest comparison that occured to me is with the current formulation of Le Dandy by D'Orsay.

Something smells very old in this, yet it smells very young. It's almost primal for me, and seems to belong in an old sense, but smell youthful especially. It's like traveling when you're young. A smell of a different and far away city, a smell of the air and climate of a different place that the rest of your life you wish you could recapture, even if it was walking by a construction site, waiting on a street corner for a too-long light to change, and repeated passing through that air on the way to a characterless large hotel. It smells like all the different smells that come with that youthful traveling, like how the hotel soaps leave you smelling different from what you're used to, and the travel shampoo your parents packed for you smells different from your now previous you.

So Vermeil smells like a throwback, like something old. At the same time it smells like it might have been a Body Kouros of its day, although the two are nothing alike--except that they smell like clubbing scents. Old but for clubbing. That's what this morning of this juice has me thinking.
    --Chris
    More excellent, thoughtful, articulate food for fodder. Thanks Chris. Pondering, pondering.

BTW, while I think the pyramid I gave has some elements of truth to it; I wouldn't take it too seriously. This fragrance seems to resist the pyramidal scheme of classification and the basenotes mentioned seem to me to be wrong perhaps with the exception of patchouli, cedar, and oakmoss.

scentemental

As much as I like putting a spray on my wrist from time to time and enjoying it for a couple of hours at home, Vermeil is one of those frags I cannot see myself finding an occasion to wear frequently. It is an olfactive movie for sure and DustB's take on this one spells this out.

Somehow I keep coming back to the color of forest green but in a plastic way, not a lush or sweater covered feel. I see my Uncle from San Bernadino in the station wagon, taking all of us kids to Disneyland. He is smoking cigarettes and we are all decked in polyester from head to toe. Everything all around me shines of plastic. There is a nostalgic feeling I get to this one that makes me sad. This one is definitely a ride for me, but not one I want to take very often.

In short, I will keep Vermeil around to take me on a nostalgic daydream from time to time since it seems to trigger visuals for me of my confused but happy youth...but like my daydreams, I don't want Vermeil to last too long.

As far as notes on this one...I give up and yield to the noses that can do this so well. So much about frags for me is the emotion and feeling I get from them, and again, this is what I have tried to give here.

Writes JockWithScents:
    "Somehow I keep coming back to the color of forest green but in a plastic way, not a lush or sweater covered feel. I see my Uncle from San Bernadino in the station wagon, taking all of us kids to Disneyland. He is smoking cigarettes and we are all decked in polyester from head to toe. Everything all around me shines of plastic."

OMG -- I think we had the same uncle and pretty much the same Seventies childhood!
    (I had a crush on Mark Spitz, owned a khaki cotton "safari" suit, and picked out -- for the Bicentennial, of course! -- red, white and blue shag carpeting for my bedroom. I was also a huge fan of the Captain and Tenille.)

Ah, yes, the Seventies . . . American kitsch personified. (Monsieur Musk after the Vermeil, anyone?)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th January 2008 at 08:55 PM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Last edited by pluran; 7th May 2008 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I think that's the plump blackcurrant, which has a lot of duration.

I like the fragrance a lot. It has character and reveals something different every time I wear it. Especially applicable here is the idea that it changes as you change the way you look at it.
    Yes--exactly my experience. Late in the day now the scent is melding even more, thickening and becoming dense on the skin. One of those that seems like the drydown isn't a stability of the base, or a mere removal of the topnotes, but a dense growing of something else. I've had the same feeling with several more simple Molinards and with vintage Tabarome, Habanita, Miss Dior, and Jolie Madame.

Thanks for pulling out the blackcurrant note, Pluran. That puts the name on the thing.
    --Chris

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Somehow I keep coming back to the color of forest green but in a plastic way, not a lush or sweater covered feel. I see my Uncle from San Bernadino in the station wagon, taking all of us kids to Disneyland. He is smoking cigarettes and we are all decked in polyester from head to toe. Everything all around me shines of plastic. There is a nostalgic feeling I get to this one that makes me sad. This one is definitely a ride for me, but not one I want to take very often.

In short, I will keep Vermeil around to take me on a nostalgic daydream from time to time since it seems to trigger visuals for me of my confused but happy youth...but like my daydreams, I don't want Vermeil to last too long.
    I have been thoroughly enjoying everyones comments about JLV - keep them coming guys.

J_W_S - your description sounds like a CB I Hate Perfume scent - would you agree?

pluran,

Am I imagining things or did you mention earlier today that well into the drydown you detected vetiver. I've had Vermeil on a test strip for 24 hrs and just now, for the first time, I detected vetiver, still buried in that inimitable Vermeil accord but clearly there
    . I haven't detected the same note on my skin, which has taken the fragrance on different path, as is to be expected, The "plumpness" is definitely the blackcurrant.

Interesting to see the direction Vermeil has taken you Chris. It seems you've gone traveling with it. Very interesting. Still pondering.

I love your description J_W_S; it's luridly lyrical. Tvlampboy you seem to be one the same trip as J_W_S. Every one seems to be taking a trip with this fragrance. Isn't that interesting.

Still pondering.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 5th January 2008 at 12:33 AM.

I now own a bottle of this, it's wonderful stuff. It reminds me of Dunhill Edition in its clearness and complexity, all these notes tickling your nose at once. The animalic and woodsy notes help give it weight, while the lighter notes ensure things don't get too heavy and cloying...Karl Wallenda (RIP) would be proud of this balancing act. I need to give it further wearings to better acquaint myself with this olfactory 'buffet' of a fragrance, but so far, thumbs way up. .
    Last edited by knightowl; 27th May 2008 at 09:25 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Have you tried Ungaro II, knightowl, and if so, how would you compare the two? Anyone else who has tried both can chime in here too.
    Thanks.

Basenotes Institution

From my sample of this, I was completely overwhelmed by this fragrance, not in a good way.

Perhaps if the top notes had been a little less sharp, I might've stuck along for the wild ride. But I distinctly remember the burning sensation I experienced from JLV. A virtual kaleidescope of notes, all crammed into one bottle. Wild...but, ultimately not for me.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Have you tried Ungaro II, knightowl, and if so, how would you compare the two? Anyone else who has tried both can chime in here too.
    Thanks.
    Bigsly, they both have an animalic character but that's where the similarity ends. Ungaro ll to me smells like an overripe orange.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I liked it at first, but then the animalic notes became a bit nauseating over time, and it's so strong for the first hour or so that I have trouble smelling anything once that opening subsides.

Wow !! Vermeil is absolutely fantastic , and it only took me a few minutes to be intrigued .
    Guys .. stop spending $100's searching for that special niche frag , there are a myriad of superb quality frags for under $20 and this is one of them & amongst the best .... now I must find some Vermeil White .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Dimitrios is right! I've been slowly going through the "cheapos," trying to find the needles in the haystacks. Vermeil isn't for me (at least not now), but it is incredible for the price.