Code of Conduct

Default Antidote if I like Prada?

Well, it's no small secret that I really enjoy Prada Amber pour homme. I really enjoy the floral top notes and don't mind the feminine aspects of the scent at all.

I stumbled across Antidote (didn't even hear of it before today ) and have to admit that the bottle and marketing have me really intrigued and itching to purchase it. I did some searches here and it seems to get rather mixed reviews, but the one thing I noticed consistently is people mentioning it being slightly feminine and that it was often mentioned in the same breath as Prada Amber.

I know Dimitri was let down by Antidote and I know he likes Prada. Other than that though, it seems like those who liked Antidote also liked Prada and those who disliked Antidote hated Prada.

So, do you think I'll like this? I'm looking for something wearable on a day to day basis. Nothing too outrageous. I'm still a relative novice to the world of fragrance and often feel like the powerful and extremely unique scents are wearing me rather than the other way 'round. I'm generally soft-spoken and a bit shy; I look up to the likes of Buddha and Ghandi rather than say, Tom Ford. :P

Default Re: Antidote if I like Prada?

i recently got both of those frags.

and love both of them......

I have a beginners nose if there ever was one, but i guess we all know what we like and thats really all that matters. I would say neither one of them are considered much more than a decent mainstream frag but thats basically all i have in my collection as of yet....no creeds etc.

Anyways, i think antidote is intoxicating, i've already received tons of compliments on it, its got a really mellow scent almost reminds me of nag champa or something. Anyways, the two i feel are completely different and would serve you well for just about any situation. My only complaint about either one of them are basically how close they stay to your skin, which isnt necessarily bad, and their longevity isnt the greatest either but both are adequate.

is it just me or does prada smell more like its color than just about anything.............eh its probly just me, i think i would have guessed that prada had that light purplish color if you put me up to a blind test.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckpolzin View Post
    is it just me or does prada smell more like its color than just about anything.............eh its probly just me, i think i would have guessed that prada had that light purplish color if you put me up to a blind test.
    I agree totally. I think of Prada Amber Homme as maybe the ultimate Easter Sunday scent. I can't believe I actually hated Prada Amber Homme and mocked it upon its release!

I wasn't impressed with Antidote all that much-- kind of seemed like a lightweight mish-mash. Too bad, because I loved the bottle and I would have almost bought it because if its association with Rufus Wainwright (the guy's such an amazing songwriter). It did remind me a bit of the Prada in feel, but I liked the Prada so much better. If I ever find a bottle of Antidote at a good price I'll jump on it--

prada kills me...i so badly wanted to like this one, but it gives me a freakin headache...i really like antidote, though i think it is a very average frag

Post Re: Antidote if I like Prada?

I am sure you will like it. I love both, Prada and Antidote.
    Today I am wearing ANTIDOTE

I like Antidote, but do not like Prada. Prada gives me a headache.

Antidote is one that my wife selected for me and has been a very good addition to my collection.

She also likes Prada Amber pour Homme but I do not. I have sampled it several times but it is just not me.

For those who like Prada Amber PH, Michael Edwards' automated 'fragrance selector' recommends:

Duel by Annick Goutal
    Declaration by Cartier
    Tabarome Millesime by Creed

I have never tried Duel, but I don't see the similarity between Prada Amber and the last two - maybe it is simply that they belong to the same fragrance family. (I am surprised that Prada Amber is classified as Dry Woods - Fresh. Soft Oriental would have been my guess.)

EDIT: The Edwards' listing must be a mistake. Osmoz lists Prada Amber as an Oriental - Fougere. In the same family, they list the following recent fragrances:

Brin de Réglisse by Hermès
    intimately BECKHAM NIGHT for him by David Beckham
    Elegance by Lacoste
    Suede by Guess
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 4th January 2008 at 02:49 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    EDIT: The Edwards' listing must be a mistake. Osmoz lists Prada Amber as an Oriental - Fougere. In the same family, they list the following recent fragrances:

Brin de Réglisse by Hermès
    intimately BECKHAM NIGHT for him by David Beckham
    Elegance by Lacoste
    Suede by Guess
    I found Antidote to be too similar to Lacoste Elegance, which I found to be too similar to Dior Homme, which I own and like very much. Ergo, I lost interest in both Antidote and Elegance. Too bad wardrobes aren't up, because I'd say if you have Dior Homme, then I would suggest that Antidote and Elegance would be unnecessarily repetitive. But, then again, being unnecessarily repetitive in terms of bottles owned is not a trait entirely abhorred by Basenoters in general.

Hmm, thanks for all the replies. No, I don't own Elegance or Homme, although ahve tried them both. I tried Homme a few years back - I remember liking it. Elegance I only sampled on a card and thought it was 'alright' and meant to try it on skin but haven't yet. I might have to go give that a skin test tomorrow.

I've owned them both. Not similar in my opinion. Prada is very different from anything else I own. I need to wear it more often.

Antidote I owned twice and I never warmed to it. Sold it twice. It's very sweet and powdery. However, I agree that the bottle design is fantastic.

Wink Re: Antidote if I like Prada?

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm generally soft-spoken and a bit shy; I look up to the likes of Buddha and Ghandi rather than say, Tom Ford. :P
    Wow! Like Buddha and Gandhi? You seem to be a fantastic guy!
    LoL!

I love both of them. Interestingly, I'm in love with most of the florals which made for men. In my list there is a very special place for L'homme de coeur, Prada, Dior Homme, Dreamer Versace, Pour Un Homme & etc.
    I compare Antidote, mostly with Le Male. Because both of them has a smooth vanilla touch to them. But Antidote is unique enough to stand by it self. Anyway I don't recommend buying Antidote blindly, it is a combination of vanilla and citrus notes and I'm sure lots of people cant stand it. Sometimes I have had bad reactions from people around, when I'd wore these type of perfumes(Once I've wore Aigner Black, and someone told me your scent make me ill!).

I don't know why Micheal Edwards, has put Prada among "Dry Woods-Fresh". The results of his recommendations are completely wrong. At least I can say I HATE Declaration by Cartier!
    I think Prada should go the "Rich Florals-Fresh" category or somewhere like it.

[TwoRoads: Hi. I hope you to recapture your health after those medical cares.]
    Last edited by msi_21; 5th January 2008 at 01:55 PM.

Smile Re: Antidote if I like Prada?

Heh, well, I make no claims to have the 1/10th the character or virtues of either man, but was simply using said statement to make a swift and general statement about my character in the hopes that it might better narrow and define what I would be interested in. I admit it was a bit of a pretentious thing to do, thanks for calling me on it!
    --------------------------------------
    Anyone else think Antidote is similar to Lacoste's Elegance? I just tried Elegance earlier today and thought it was really nice. It, along with Hypnose homme were the favorites of all I tried (including Platinum Egoiste and Chanel PMC).

I found a gift set of Elegance online for $42 - 3 oz EDT plus 2.5 oz after shave balm + 1.6 oz shower gel. Not a bad price, I don't think. Especially becaue the 3 oz EDT was going for $56 by itself.
    --------------------------------------
    Well, I decided to go ahead and order a mini of Antidote. Even the mini bottle looks really cool. I'll post my thoughts after I receive it and wear it for a few days.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 8th January 2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I've now tried Antidote side by side with Elegance, and to be honest, there is no comparison. Antidote is just miles better. It doesn't have that harsh synthetic plasticy feel that Elegance does, the composition has more depth and much more character (from a beautiful - if cliche - citrus opening, to a spicy herbal woody heart with a hint of vanilla, to a luscious sweet but never cloying vanilla drydown, compared to Elegance with it's flat root beer opening, which just is practically linear throughout but actually seems to lose some depth throughout the drydown)

Antidote is a great fragrance whose only fault may be that throughout it's various phases it reminds one of some scent or another, but I'd be willing to bet it's better than whatever it reminds you of. The fact that there are three very distinct phases to the scent, each which is beautiful on its own, and each which features a transition smoother than a politican's lies, makes it a remarkable scent. I've also been getting 6-8 hours of longevity or more despite -15 temperatures.

I've got some notes on my computer at work that I'll post here when I can; they were taken while comparing Antidote to Elegance side by side. Now, to try and get back to sleep.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 14th February 2008 at 12:42 AM.

I'd say they're totally different. Liking one wouldn't mean anything about the other, imo.

I give them both about 3 - 3.5 stars.

Antidote has a lot going on in there; Prada seems pretty simple.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah