Code of Conduct

Thread: Comfort scents

Default Comfort scents

Today I had a bath after doing some DIY with my husband-screwing a bed back together, sweaty work...We wern't going anywhere or doing anything special this evening.

I wanted to wear some perfume just for "comfort".

By that I mean in the way you sometimes want to wear a dressing gown and slob around, or eat comfort food, or just lie in bed reading trashy novels to ease the brain after a hard day's work..

For me it had to be Amber Narguile by Hermes.

What is your comfort fragrance? Is there just one, or does it vary?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Comfort scents

I have a few comfort scents - but the one that comes to mind instantly is Terracotta Voile d'ete. It is my idea of a warm,cozy, skin-scent, something that never fails to make me want to snuggle, or just sniff myself in glee. I'm new to Hermes - but think that several of them will also have the same place in my wardrobe - especially Un Jardin En Mediterranee.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I adore Shalimar. Whenever I need something cozy; when I am not feeling well, or just want to relax, I always choose Shalimar.

L'Heure Bleue

I find MPG Ambre Precieux and Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum comforting at times.

Shalimar, Bal a Versailles, Miel de Bois, Imperial Opoponax (thanks, Kyra!), Pi -- really anything very powdery and/or vanilla-laden. I also love Je Reviens (esp. in its bath oil form).

MASSIVE SALE THREAD -- EVERYTHING HAS TO GO:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=203937
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th March 2008 at 12:40 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

summer means fireflys

I reach for Etro Ambra when I need to feel like I'm wearing a hug.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

No.22
    Escada Collection
    Sweet Oriental Dreams
    Jicky
    Or des Indes
    Luctor et Emergo
    KM Loukhoum
    Botrytis
    Chanel No 5 Sensuel Elixir
    Givenchy Pi
    Habit Rouge
    Sacre Bleu

Post Re: Comfort scents

Sables, seems to comfort me, and or put's me in a tranquil mood when things get insane around me!

Basenotes Plus

Jaipur Homme
    L'Heure Bleue
    Helmut Lang
    Caron Pour un Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent Cinema

I find these soothing and undemanding, easy to wear.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

My comfort scents are L'Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine and Ava Luxe Milk. Foody = comfy.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

I have gotten to the point where I just have to have something scented on or I feel naked. If I ain't doing nothin or goin anywhere, then I will usually reach for my VS scents ie., Love Spell. Alot of times I will just put on the perfumed lotion just so I could have on a little bit of a scent. That's why I love to buy the lotion to go with my perfume.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Un Bois Vanille
    Jicky
    Anne Pliska
    Bois de Violette
    Arabie
    Madame X
    Jalaine Patchouli
    Aimez Moi
    Farnesiana
    Plus Que Jamais
    Last edited by rtamara41; 5th January 2008 at 04:00 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

L de Lolita Lempicka:
    to sweet and foody for me to wear it often but a perfect comfort scent for cold and dark winter days.

YSL Cocoon.
    Rahat Loukoum
    Sienne l'Hiver
    Encens et Lavande

I think my comfort scent is L.

I think all my scents are comfort scents to some degree, but some are more obviously comforting than others. Today I'm wearing the Numero Uno of all comfort scents, Musc Ravageur.
    Last edited by Sestra; 5th January 2008 at 01:44 PM.

Ambers and vanillas.
    Especially L'Artisan Parfumeur Ambre Extreme. But any good amber will do, like Etro Ambra, Montale Blue Amber, Madini Ambre, even the spicier Serge Lutens Amber Sultan. I even have a Kuumba Made Amber Paste (it's thick and gloppy) that is
    Also the Play-Doh scent of People of the Labryrinth Luctor et Emergo.
    Anyone got any good vanilla base suggestions? PM me.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 5th January 2008 at 02:21 PM.

Iles d' Or by Molinard, a sweet, tropical, flowery thing. I own very few comfort scents.

Newest ones:
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Burberry Brit

Old favorites:
    Bal a Varsailles
    Oscar parfum
    Youth Dew Amber Nude
    Chergui
    L'Heure Bleue
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I think this question relates very strongly to the climate in which you live! I live in a hot, humid, tropical environment where it very occasionally gets "cool", but never cold - therefore my idea of a "comfort scent" is clean, fresh and relaxed; something that I can put on after a shower and erase the sweaty hot memory of the outdoors!! To me this is Carolina Herrera 212. It smells "white" to me, and is uncomplicated but unfailingly beautiful. Ideally I want a comfort scent to make me feel like I am wearing flowing white linen pants and living by the beach - relaxed yet impeccably clean.

I am sure that if I lived in Northern Europe the question would take on another meaning altogether!

Snake Oil for sure. It's a deep dark vanilla.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I find that Allure is a nice comfort scent. It's sweet, but it's not too sweet and I love wearing it when I'm relaxing.

It has to be Montale Aoud Queen Rose, Aoud Damascus, & Guerlain Vol de Nuit
    I love to enjoy their deep, meditative aromas
    Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir

Oddly, I think my main comfort scent is one that I've previously confessed to feeling confused about - Ambre Sultan. I wore it yesterday, and two of my colleagues were made redundant. As the drama unfolded, and they made their tearful way home, I caught myself several times raising the neck of my cashmere polo sweater, to sniff at the residue of AS that I had sprayed on that morning. I caught myself doing it several times in the evening, as I spoke of what had happened. It seemed to give me immense comfort, just taking a little sniff of this perfume, the one that has eluded me many times, yet seems to be growing in my affection, especially in this cold, gloomy weather. I have wondered if the incensy-ness of it reminds me of church when I was a child, and being indoctrinated into the Catholic faith (of which I am no longer a part, by choice), and that sometimes we just yearn to be a child again, when being a grown-up is all too hard.

Maybe I'm over-analysing, but AS kept me going yesterday, I do know that.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Pretty much anything that is not too complex for me I guess. Vanilla seems to be the one I find the most grounding.

Flowerbomb and Ambre Extreme.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

I also gravitate toward vanilla for comfort -- White Aoud and L are my current favorites. In the summer I was reaching more for Bois d'Iris, which I find very relaxing without being too heavy or warm. Others are L'Occitane's Eau de la Recolte Bleu, a lovely soft lavender, and occasionally Tam Dao for its meditative quality.

Kenzo Amour - its light, warm and milky. I'd actually wear this any time, but its particularly unoffiensive and calming to me.

Thumbs up Re: Comfort scents

Miyako
    L'Heure Bleue
    Patou Privé
    Muscs Koublaï Khän
    Mûre et Musc Extreme
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Dzing
    Opium edt
    New Haarlem
    L de Lolita Lempicka

Royal Bain de Caron is my comfort scent at present.

Right now:
    • Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    • Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé
    • Ava Luxe Milk
    • L'Artisan Tea for Two
    • Valentino V
    • Yves Rocher Néonatura Cocoon

ozkat, you have a good point about climate. I think my list will be completely different in the summer, including scents such as Mûre et Musc Extrême and Floris Pink Grapefruit.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Gucci by Gucci
    PdN, Vanilla Tonka
    L de Lolita Lempicka
    Penhaligon's Artemisia
    Strenesse
    and Chanel, Coromandel
    Last edited by Fragranza; 20th March 2008 at 05:32 PM.

Sweet, vanillic and foody... biggest comfort scent must be Love's True Bluish Light. Actually I think most of my scents are sweet and contain vanilla anyway.

Wondering whether I should get Milk too, despite it smelling very similar to LTBL to my nose. A girl can never have too many comfort scents

I agree with Purplebird7 - amber and vanilla notes soothe & comfort! As with quite a few of you gals, I love Ambre Extreme, and Un Bois Vanille. Sometimes when I'm a little burnt out on fragrance (yeah, I know...it doesn't happen very often!) I simply use Kai body butter, for a clean fresh feeling.

My comfort scents tend to be L'Heure Bleue, Shalimar and Chanel Coco.

Interesting - this made me think.
    I agree about foody, warm skin smells being very comforting to me. I live in Northern Europe so I associate comfort with being swaddled up in a cocoon of flannel PJs and thick socks and warm blankets and pillows on a soft sofa watching old Black & White movies while eating something sweet and drinking cocoa or tea.

Vanillas probably top my list, indeed I'm wearing Spiriteuse Double Vanille this evening and reveling in it. I also find heliotrope and almond very soothing, so L'Heure Bleue and L'Eau d'Hiver are both up there for me and my now-gone bottle of Aqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo di Scililia (If I remember correctly) was a great comfort scent. Purplebird reminds me though that I also really like some light woody scents for comfort - such as Guerlain's Purple Fantasy. (Birdie - look at Dior for vanilla bases.)

A vanilla I'd love to score a bottle of, though I'm scared to order it in case I go off it, is Guerlain's Attrape Coeur. (It's a vanilla that reminds me somehow of Femininite du Bois, which I found very comforting but have just gone off recently. I'm praying I come back to loving it passionately again.) If I stayed as devoted to it as the sample I've had would lead me to believe, this could be my ultimate comfort scent. In fact, I could possibly become very boring and wear it constantly.

My ultimate, ultimate comfort scent as in 'calm down' is Clarins Eau Resourcant. Gentle roses: aromatherapy - just calms me down. Helps me sleep, talks me down off the ledge when I'm a whiny stress-puppy, all that jazz.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 26th March 2008 at 09:58 AM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I find Carnal Flower quite comforting, could be the foody notes and warm skin quality.

I also find clean smelling fragrances relaxing after a shower, like Amazing Grace and Pure White Linen.

I find Opium to be my "drug" of choice.

Lalique's Encre Noire... my ultimate comfort scent.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

My comfort scents are my favorites. Soft scents are perfect on my skin.
    -L'Heure Bleue
    -Sacre
    -Sacrebleu
    -Black Cashmere
    -Gianfranco Ferre 20
    -Artemisia

I've just realised that as today is my final day in my current job (moving on to pastures new) that not only have I been comfort eating (it's very stressful at work at the moment and all my colleagues are snappy and irritable), I've also been comfort-smelling. It would seem Prada Infusion d'Iris is my new comfort smell. Amber Sultan worked when my colleagues were made redundant in January, and it was that event that set me job-hunting. Then my manager resigned, and that made the job-hunt far more serious. Since I resigned, my MD has been trying to persuade me to stay, and when that failed, he made TWO further people redundant and offered them both my job on a job-share basis. He then came to see me to ask me to persuade them to take up the offer, that it's only a SHORT TERM solution (so what else he has in store for them I have no idea), and that if I hate the new job, I should give him a call. Would you trust this person?

So I'm dousing myself in Infusion d'Iris today as it's my last day there.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I've just realised that as today is my final day in my current job (moving on to pastures new) that not only have I been comfort eating (it's very stressful at work at the moment and all my colleagues are snappy and irritable), I've also been comfort-smelling. It would seem Prada Infusion d'Iris is my new comfort smell. Amber Sultan worked when my colleagues were made redundant in January, and it was that event that set me job-hunting. Then my manager resigned, and that made the job-hunt far more serious. Since I resigned, my MD has been trying to persuade me to stay, and when that failed, he made TWO further people redundant and offered them both my job on a job-share basis. He then came to see me to ask me to persuade them to take up the offer, that it's only a SHORT TERM solution (so what else he has in store for them I have no idea), and that if I hate the new job, I should give him a call. Would you trust this person?

Infusion d'Iris is very nice and comforting. I don't have it yet, but I think I will soon
    Hiris is also a nice comfort scent

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post

Bah, you obviously don't like them a lot. douse yourself in copious amounts of something that makes people whine, but you love the smell of !

Rose Poivree & C&S No. 88 for me.

Musc de Samarkand by Les Nereides, a lullaby for my soul.

Pink Sugar
    Ava Luxe Milk - No. 23 - Ambra Tibet
    L'Artisan Tea for Two
    L de Lolita Lempicka
    Un Bois Vanille
    Lalique le Parfum
    Lolita Lempicka edp
    Jalaine Patchouli
    Chergui
    Sweet Oriental Dreams
    Botrytis
    Cashmere - s. lang
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

L"Artisan Jour de Fete. A very calming almond, with all the sunshine, beach and riverside in the summer.

L"Artisan Bois Farine

Tom Ford Tobbaco Vanile

I wear either Angel Innocent or my cotton candy body spray.

Lally
    The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”

Bulgari Black. I find it so relaxing. Smoke, tea and a little bit of rubber...
    "That's Numberwang!"

tdrps - if those things make you feel relaxed and comforted, did you by any chance attend an English public school?

Sorry - it's an old joke but I can't help myself today. Apologies to any ex-public school pupils who are offended by this because they don't drink tea incessantly, don't smoke pipes and don't feel happier in their gimp suit. And that's just the girls.

Now, who'd like to make a remark about Spotted Dick?
    :-)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Ha! No, actually, I didn't. Far from it. Although, I was pretty much raised on BBC period dramas...
    "That's Numberwang!"

Hypnotic Poison is my tea time almond cookie. Yum.