Code of Conduct

Default Defining a modern fragrance

Hey! Zain has just started an interesting thread asking every one which fragrances they considered "gentlemanly": following into his steps, could you make a list of the five men's fragrances you consider modern (regardless of their olfactory family)? And it would also be interesting to see what you associate with the idea of modernity in a fragrance... (components, impressions etc.)

Default Re: Defining a modern fragrance

Your question depends heavily on definition of the word modern. "Modern" when used with fragrance reminds me of modern art as opposed to more traditional art styles. Traditional art is usually representational, depicting people, nature, or events in history that the artist thought was significant or represented an aspect of visual beauty. Traditional fragrances also model nature to smell like beautiful things from the world such as citrus, green plants, flowers, leather etc. "Modern" fragrance like modern art would be to use things from nature like natural essences or synthetic mimicry of natural scents to mix together into abstraction or an all new structure of things that is not a naturally occuring fragrance. Many fragrances today are "modern" in that they create scents that are far from just mimicking nature or real scents in the world but take things to an all new level of creation by use of balance, harmony, rhythm, and design in the mix of ingredients. Examples of modern fragrances are Gucci pour Homme, M7, Acqua di Gio, etc. Most fragrances today are "modern" designs.

Following modern art styles there is post-modern art which is different from modern art in that postmodern artists use images of the real world or actual objects from the world that are still kept in their "real" form, but combined in an abstract way. Post modernism began with pop art in the lat1960's and continues today as the most prominent art style. Post modernism in fragrance design also use images from the world combined in an abstrat way. Examples of postmodern fragrances are Comme des Garcons synthetics like odor 53, Garage, Dry Clean, Soda, and Tar. The CdG incenses are also postmodern in design. Other postmodern fragrances are the Demeter Fragrance Library and many of the Ava Luxe scents.

Am I overthinking this? It may be easier to just say that anything is modern that is not traditional!?
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 5th January 2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling

A very interesting topic and a very accurate Buzzlepuff's reply.

and what about Creed? Making parallel with art I would class Creed scents as primitive (naive).
    --------------------------------------
    post-modern scents should be a bit apocalyptic, for instance - you buy some CdG scent (for instance, - Tar), spray it on youself in the morning, and at the end of the day you die. A bit funny, isn't it?
    Last edited by DreamerII; 5th January 2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Post Re: Defining a modern fragrance

Fragrance's are like love, they are timeless! As long as somebody likes , and is willing to wear a frag. it will never be called dated.IMHO Good taste is limitless, just as love is!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    It may be easier to just say that anything is modern that is not traditional!?
    Yesterday's Modern is today's Traditional. Perhaps we should be discussing Contemporary?
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    Making parallel with art I would class Creed scents as primitive (naive). post-modern scents should be a bit apocalyptic, for instance - you buy some CdG scent (for instance, - Tar), spray it on youself in the morning, and at the end of the day you die. A bit funny, isn't it?
    I like your idea of Creed as primitive. Very provocative. Commes de Garcons as Performance Art is cool, too.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th January 2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I don't know if I could name five but I'd certainly say AMen is modern.

Modern: Guerlain, Jicky.
    Post Modern: Tom Ford, Rive Gauche.
    Contemporary: État Libre d'Orange, Jasmin et Cigarette.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th January 2008 at 05:03 PM.

Basenotes Institution

When I think of a modern fragrance, I think of Chanel No. 5
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Although it's imprecise, I casually use "modern" to designate what came after the "Cool Water" paradigm shift, i.e. fragrances relying on heavy doses of Calone or Dihydromercenol; light, fruity, ocassionally gourmandy sweet; often with characteristic "white musk" bases; while eschewing traditional ingredients popular up to the late 80s such as castoreum, artemisia, or large doses of oakmoss. "Contemporary" would be a better choice, perhaps. Classing the Jicky to Chanel No. 5 era as the beginning of modernism makes more sense historically.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Maestro View Post
    I don't know if I could name five but I'd certainly say AMen is modern.

This is where I get confused and one of the reasons why my opinions are so strong when people call fragrances "old man" fragrances.

If it were just fresh and aqautic frgrances that are supposed to be modern, I can at least see the logic (although I still wouldn't agree with it). But how can A*Men, Le Male, Terre and Pi just to name a few be, considered modern, while other powerful sweet orientals be considered "old man"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Fragrance's are like love, they are timeless! As long as somebody likes , and is willing to wear a frag. it will never be called dated.IMHO Good taste is limitless, just as love is!
    This is exactly what I say.
    Last edited by MikeFromManhattan; 6th January 2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Although it's imprecise, I casually use "modern" to designate what came after the "Cool Water" paradigm shift,
    Cool Water is a very good frame of reference for modern Men's colognes.
    God bless Mr. Creed for conjuring GIT.

But to the thread starter, sometimes people say Modern and mean futuristic?, sometimes they mean current or contemporary?

My joke vote for contemporary goes to Fahrenhiet, for the petrol/crude oil note.
    My joke vote for future goes to Terre D'Hermes, for the explosion/gunpowder/destroyed building note.