Code of Conduct

Default About Mitsuoko & Shalimar reformulation

Greetings and happy new year...

(Excuse me but I don't speak/write in english very well...)

_____As the most of you, I share with you the passion for fragrances. A lot of them are part of my little collection, but I have always felt a special weakness by Guerlain. My favorites are Mitsuoko and Shalimar (EDP and extract).
    _____I consult a lot of websites, forums, etc. dedicated to the magical world of the fragancies, and some time ago, I am hearing from changes in this fragrances to avoid potentially allergic substances (European legislation).
    _____I have read that Mitsuoko has already been reformulated and the reviews about the new versions are terribles. But I don't know if this reformulation affect to all the concentrations.
    _____Last summer I was in Paris and I could see the changes in boxing of Mitsuoko, I don't know if it also involve changes in the formula. The subject is that in the store where I buy these fragrances, I have EDT with the new packaging, while EDP and extract, keep the original packaging.
    _____Reading the components of this fragance in all versions, it is indicated that it contain oakmoss, so I don't know if the changes in formula have already occurred or not, and the seller hasn't information about changes.

_____Does anyone know how to distinguish between the old and new version? Really have they changed the formula? Thank you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: About Mitsuoko & Shalimar reformulation

Feliz Año Nuevo Ballshamin,

Yes, according to reports there have been reformulations - I have both the old Shalimar and the new one and there is not much difference (no hay mucha diferencia). My earlier bottle was my mothers - probably bought around 1975. My newer bottle was bought last year. Are they exactly the same - no. Do I like the newer one - yes. Though there is much hysteria on perfume forums about reformulations of old classics - such is life - es la vida, no? There are too many lovely new perfumes, and older ones to explore for me to worry - and Guerlain is now re-releasing some classics that are exquisite.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

The change in Shalimar actually goes back when the new smooth bottle was introduced.
    I remember many said it does not smell the same and the sa's saying no it is the same.

Well I got the chance to speak to Roja Dove who still work for Guerlain at that time. And he told me yes I was right the fragrance was different, the reason being Guerlain/HMLV decided to use cheaper ingredients in the fragrance. Instead of the most expensive bergamot and sandalwood they used the cheapest, so technically the ingredients where the same but really changed how Shalimar was.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

The change in Shalimar is very apparent to me. I have been using a lot of Shalimar lately and this 'new' stuff is so different from the Shalimar I remember in the 1980s. This is lighter and 'dustier' than the old Shalimar - even the EDp is so much lighter . I still love it and perhaps I love it more because it seems lighter .
    ( Mitsouko is a lost cause to me - my signature perfume in the 1990s has been ruined beyond recognition . )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I tried a sample of the Mitsouko parfum and it was love at first (and two hundredth!) sniff...

My question is, do we have a situation similar to that of Chanel No 5 with the formulations? Does the EDT or EDP smell appreciably different from the pure parfum? (aside from longevity, of course.....)

I'm not ready to drop $300 on a FB of parfum...but I see many bottles of EDT around for $30 or less, and that would sure stretch my 2ml supply of the pure parfum....

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    ...My question is, do we have a situation similar to that of Chanel No 5 with the formulations? Does the EDT or EDP smell appreciably different from the pure parfum? (aside from longevity, of course.....)
    In a word: yes. The parfum in particular. It is deeper, rounder, and richer than the EdT or the EdP, with an obviously darker and mossier foundation. I don't care all that much for the EdT or the EdP, but I wear the parfum with great pleasure.

Curses. Why don't I ever fall in love with anything cheap?