Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anya McCoy (Anya's Garden)

    0 0%
  • Ayala Sender (Ayala Moriel)

    5 8.77%
  • Mandy Aftel (Aftelier)

    0 0%
  • Serena Franco (Ava Luxe)

    5 8.77%
  • Damien Bash

    1 1.75%
  • Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

    1 1.75%
  • Liz Zorn

    1 1.75%
  • Jennifer Auspitz (Magenty)

    0 0%
  • Michael Storer

    4 7.02%
  • Miriam Mirani

    1 1.75%
  • Tristan Brando (Monyette Paris)

    0 0%
  • Neil Morris

    4 7.02%
  • Armando Martinez

    1 1.75%
  • Renee Griffith

    0 0%
  • Nannette Pallrand (Rich Hippie)

    2 3.51%
  • Laurie Erickson (Sonoma Scent Studio)

    1 1.75%
  • Stephanie de St. Aignan

    0 0%
  • Andy Tauer

    28 49.12%
  • Konstantin Mikov (Parfums d'Imperfection)

    1 1.75%
  • Beth Terry

    2 3.51%
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    A follow-up on the "Your favorite contemporary nose" poll. Criteria:

    All are the actual noses behind their line.

    All are self-distributed or have very limited distribution (i.e. Andy Tauer, Beth Terry).

    Most, if not all, have more than one scent in their line.

    As before, the poll is limited to 20 alternatives, which means somebody's favorite will be missing. Sorry - nobody's perfect, and certainly not me!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 5th January 2008 at 10:50 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the scents from the Divine house were all created by one man: Yvon Mouchel and that he's also the founder.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    Do not see the actual poll, but I'd pick Andy "by a nose"
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

  4. #4
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the scents from the Divine house were all created by one man: Yvon Mouchel and that he's also the founder.
    Divine was a close call, but I get the sense that their distribution is expanding very rapidly. The same goes for BeckerEshaya and Mona di Orio. As I said, nobody's perfect...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    Now I see that the poll is up and running,

    What's your classificaton view of Ineke Ruhland?
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

  6. #6

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    No doubt about it, Andy Tauer! Just wait, when his new Incense Rose' is released in a few months, people will be talking a lot about it.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Divine was a close call, but I get the sense that their distribution is expanding very rapidly. The same goes for BeckerEshaya and Mona di Orio. As I said, nobody's perfect...
    Ah, ok, I gave my vote to Mike Storer.
    Last edited by Domingo; 5th January 2008 at 11:15 PM.

  8. #8
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,334

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    Neil Morris!

    Represent!!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

    -- Jack Kerouac

  9. #9

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    No doubt about it, Andy Tauer!
    ......closely followed by Armando Martinez! I love his Satyr and his Benefactor!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    Andy Tauer

    LDDM


  11. #11

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    My vote is for Michael Storer. I tried a sample of his Kadota - a truly wonderful fragrance. I planning on saving some money for a bottle of it. It's perfect for my office.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

  12. #12

    Thumbs up Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Andy Tauer

    LDDM

    +1
    .....

  13. #13
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    Quote Originally Posted by zeram1 View Post
    Now I see that the poll is up and running,

    What's your classificaton view of Ineke Ruhland?
    Ineke is another one I just had to cut to keep it at twenty - and the line is becoming much more widely distribted. (Bergdorf's, etc.)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    I don't feel qualified to vote, since I haven't even heard of some of these folks, and have never tried anything from most of the others. I'm testing out Armando Martinez at the moment and I'm waiting for an Incense Extreme sample from Tauer. I found LDDM and Lone star to be of excellent quality, but can't wear them well. My favorite perfume of the few I do know is DSH Sandalo Inspiritu. I already liked the old Monk by Storer and the new one sounds very good. My next investment will be a sample set from Ayala Sender, I guess.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 6th January 2008 at 06:58 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    I haven't tried fragrances from many of the noses here (except for some offerings from Storer, Tauer, Ayala and DSH)...I will vote for Miriam Mirani just because the name sounds cool.
    -

  16. #16
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,758

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    I voted for Ayala because she writes excellent reviews, lives in a beautiful place, and purplebird7 thinks a lot of her fragrances. I've never tried them but would like to. I like the name Ayala too. It just comes out right. "Ohhhh baby, Ayala, it feels so good......

  17. #17

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    I welcome any possibility to support independent perfumers who deserve it, and of course I welcome the chance to elect my favorite perfumer among the lesser known ones, but I am a little unhappy with the selection presented here:
    • I do not really know who is the nose behind Il Profumo, Silvana Casoli or, more recently, AbdesSalam Attar. Anyway, Il Profumo fragrances had quite a lot of space here recently. I feel the poll may be of relative value without that contestant, particularly when we consider perfumes with a high content of 'natural' ingredients. Profumo , Tauer, & Storer seem to compete in the same group.
    • Vibert, please help me to understand why remarkable success and professionality should be a reason to exclude a man like Yvon Mouchel from 'favorite independent perfumers'. His success may have more than one cause, but obviously his perfumes excel! A healthy relationship of value and price is also evident, particularly if you consider packaging a factor. Divine Company still has the status of "secret tip" even in Europe. I hope their rapid expansion (figures known?) is not just based on impressions you have. Until about a year ago, there was only one place I could buy it: their own website. To my knowledge, their sales points today are comparable to those of LesNez / René Schifferle, or Tauer Perfumes.
    • Isn't État Libre d'Orange based om the independence of their perfumers? Again, I wonder why none of their perfumers is listed here. Instead, I find nearly fifteen names to select from which I -nonpro European, primarily interested in masculine fragrances - have never heard about. And a Google supported check on these names seems to confirm that I must not be too ashamed of my ignorance .
    Under the circumstances, I feel it would be unfair to select a candidate just because I happen to know him, or his perfumes, well. If you asked me to vote for my favorite kitchen perfumer I would have less of a problem.
    Last edited by narcus; 6th January 2008 at 11:24 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  18. #18
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I welcome any possibility to support independent perfumers who deserve it, and of course I welcome the chance to elect my favorite perfumer among the lesser known ones, but I am a little unhappy with the selection presented here:
    • I do not really know who is the nose behind Il Profumo, Silvana Casoli or, more recently, AbdesSalam Attar. Anyway, Il Profumo fragrances had quite a lot of space here recently. I feel the poll may be of relative value without that contestant, particularly when we consider perfumes with a high content of 'natural' ingredients. Profumo , Tauer, & Storer seem to compete in the same group.
    • Vibert, please help me to understand why remarkable success and professionality should be a reason to exclude a man like Yvon Mouchel from 'favorite independent perfumers'. His success may have more than one cause, but obviously his perfumes excel! A healthy relationship of value and price is also evident, particularly if you consider packaging a factor. Divine Company still has the status of "secret tip" even in Europe. I hope their rapid expansion (figures known?) is not just based on impressions you have. Until about a year ago, there was only one place I could buy it: their own website. To my knowledge, their sales points today are comparable to those of LesNez / René Schifferle, or Tauer Perfumes.
    • Isn't État Libre d'Orange based om the independence of their perfumers? Again, I wonder why none of their perfumers is listed here. Instead, I find nearly fifteen names to select from which I -nonpro European, primarily interested in masculine fragrances - have never heard about. And a Google supported check on these names seems to confirm that I must not be too ashamed of my ignorance .
    Under the circumstances, I feel it would be unfair to select a candidate just because I happen to know him, or his perfumes, well. If you asked me to vote for my favorite kitchen perfumer I would have less of a problem.
    Now let's play nice.

    As I said in the introduction to this thread, the limit of twenty poll options makes it impossible to include every candidate - even every worthy candidate. If there is anything "unfair" about the list, it's because life is unfair. It offends you that my choices are "just based on the impressions" I have. Who else's impressions would you have me base them on? Yours? My aunt Hattie's? There will always be elements of caprice or even personal bias (perhaps slanted by familiarity,) in any such list. Do I regret excIuding Mona di Orio, Divine, and Jo Malone, among many others? Of course I do. But where should I draw the line? At Brosius? At Profumum? At Lorenzo Villoresi? At Serge Lutens? My list is in fact biased toward "kitchen" parfumeurs. My intent was to focus on the "little guys," and in retrospect it was an error even to list Andy Tauer, given his recent ascent to celebrity status among fragrance enthusiasts.

    I don't claim authority, much less infallibility in such matters, but I understand your frustration. I have more than once encountered polls on this board where the options offered disappointed me, but I understand that these choices are inevitably limited by the pollster's tastes and experiences. It's a limit of the medium and, ultimately, of human nature. We all have to live with it, and I've never felt a need to protest.

    The most obvious recourse for anybody who feels slighted by the choices in a Basenote's poll is to launch one of their own, based on their own criteria and preferences. I assure you though, that somebody somewhere will always be disappointed with the choices! I also assure you that I, for one, will not complain.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 6th January 2008 at 10:36 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    Absolutely without a doubt, my dear friend Neil Morris.

    And not just because he's my dear friend - but because I believe in his talent and I have witnessed him doing amazing, technical feats with many of his perfumes - achieving things that are so incredibly complex and difficult.

    His perfumes are full of heart, inspiration, compassion, and love. When you find your perfect Neil Morris scent, you know it immediately. Character overflows from the bottle in every scent he creates - You'll often find that some of his scents do not work for you. And others work wonders for you. Its as if they are an identical match to your personality. The key either fits or it does not. When it fits however, it takes over and seems to continue the story of your life for you. You feel safe in its veil. And you feel important. You know you are being well taken care of.

    And thats just with his regular line!!

    The custom experience, however - is quite another story. If its possible - an even better one, I assure you.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

    visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

  20. #20

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    I was split between Tauer and Sender, but went for Sender because of the variety. That said, I haven't even heard of most on that list let alone smelled their creations, so I'm probably not in a good position to judge.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Your favorite "independent" parfumeur

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkDavid View Post
    Absolutely without a doubt, my dear friend Neil Morris.

    And not just because he's my dear friend - but because I believe in his talent and I have witnessed him doing amazing, technical feats with many of his perfumes - achieving things that are so incredibly complex and difficult.

    His perfumes are full of heart, inspiration, compassion, and love. When you find your perfect Neil Morris scent, you know it immediately. Character overflows from the bottle in every scent he creates - You'll often find that some of his scents do not work for you. And others work wonders for you. Its as if they are an identical match to your personality. The key either fits or it does not. When it fits however, it takes over and seems to continue the story of your life for you. You feel safe in its veil. And you feel important. You know you are being well taken care of.

    And thats just with his regular line!!

    The custom experience, however - is quite another story. If its possible - an even better one, I assure you.
    Hi MD - just spoke to Neil on the phone this evening to try some samples of his Florals for Men. What a great guy! I'm truly looking forward to trying them (particularly the rose!)! It's great to be able to just chat with people who create like this... There was a woman (Brielle, I believe) I remember posting that she was given some good advice by him - about the scent of the person, of your skin - and that's wonderful. It stuck with me, and now try to think in that way myself. I might have to take a trip to Boston some day!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Similar Threads

  1. Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Reviews
    By IPaidForThisName in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 13th October 2012, 10:56 AM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 21st July 2008, 02:07 AM
  3. Fragrance Questionnaire
    By Sorcery of Scent in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 24th November 2007, 11:36 AM
  4. Can we talk about....your favourite fragance
    By Norfolk in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 19th February 2007, 09:16 PM
  5. Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier /SL Paris advice req'd
    By leopoldo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 5th December 2005, 03:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •