Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Scottish town too low class for Chanel

This is hilarious and insulting at the same time!

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ks-of-snobbery

FRENCH perfume maker Chanel has turned up its nose at a Scots town by refusing to allow its products to be sold there.

Christmas shoppers hunting for a bottle of Chanel in Leven, Fife, found themselves on a hopeless mission this year, after the Paris-based fashion house declared the town too low class for its luxury range.

High Street shops in the former mining town on Scotland’s east coast, were judged inappropriate by the brand, following a recent “audit” of the area.

And while Boots sells the range from its Kirkcaldy branch eight miles away, its Leven store is not allowed to stock the fragrances.

It’s thought the town, which has a population of 8,300, fell out of favour after Chanel brought in new auditors last year.

Chanel recently refused to restock a number of other shops in Leven following the audit, which it’s thought takes a range of factors into account, including the store itself, and the proximity of bars, bookmakers, or other businesses deemed inappropriate to the prestigious brand.

Residents said the move was snobbish and insulting.

Grace Houston, 20 a shop assistant, said: “I think it’s shocking. My mum spends a fortune on Chanel products and now she’s going to have to spend extra going to Kirkcaldy to buy them now. Peoples’ money in Leven is as good as anyone else’s.”

Shop assistant Heather Doch-erty, 57, added: “If that’s their attitude, Leven is too good to sell Chanel in my opinion.”

A Boots spokesman confirmed: “Chanel reviews stores on a regular basis and if a store fails to meet the criteria required, then the fragrances wouldn’t be sold in those stores.”

Last night Cha-nel defended its audit process. A spokeswoman said: “The audit process is independent, objective, transparent and fair. Any counters which did not pass the audit first time were given six months to improve, following which there was a second audit.”

She added: “We value all our consumers hugely, many of whom have shown tremendous loyalty to the brand over very many years.”

Marilyn Monroe end-orsed Chanel’s flagship brand. When asked what she wore in bed, Monroe replied, “Two drops of Chanel No. 5.”
    Last edited by zztopp; 6th January 2008 at 04:07 AM.
    -

Default Re: Scottish town too low class for Chanel

I have to wonder: why does Chanel even care as long as the money is flowing in?

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I have to wonder: why does Chanel even care as long as the money is flowing in?
    They have to show how elite their fragrances and products really are. They surely don't want their fragrances worn by the daughter of a miner.

If Chanel wants to pull this crap, let 'em. And then ban Chanel products from the country on a province by province basis.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

LoL!
    How funny this is!
    LoL!
    Chanel don't want to sell somewhere, because...they are low class?!! Its extremely disrespectful toward consumers! At least they could have told a more ambiguous reason!
    What does chanel think about its products? Fortunately none of their products are compatible with my taste! I don't like the brands with this attitude toward people.
    Last edited by msi_21; 6th January 2008 at 09:24 AM.

I don't see where this is conceptually all that different from making a certain product exclusively available at your flagship store or charging so much for it as to deliberately exclude the hoi polloi. Perhaps the anger about this has something to do with how this "peculiar" kind of exclusion lays bare, by virtue of contrast, certain standard mechanisms of exclusion in Western societies so naturalized we no longer even notice them? The folks in Leven must suddenly feel like a collective precariate (the untouchables of neoliberalism). In terms of offending egalitarian sensibilities Chanel's strategy may not seem like the best PR - but the way I see human nature, the folks in Kircaldy are probably making jokes already about their poor cousins on the other side of the tracks.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I think Chanel is completely out of touch with current worldwide marketing trends of "High Class" or "Luxury" goods of any kind.

Or, they do aknowledge that very strongly, and are making a very risky bet on the reverse psychology of the trend.

IDK

Very very funny (and sad) regardless. Thanks zztopp

Looks like I'm taking the minority view here (again), but I don't see what the fuss is about. The pejoritive "low class" was most certainly not issued by Chanel - that would be the epitome of low class - but was used by the Express to sensationalize an otherwise routine business decision. Would you expect Serge Lutens to open a boutique in Walmart? Nearly all businesses, and certainly all those selling luxury goods, have minimum standards for their retail outlets. Since we don't know the circumstances of the case, I suggest withholding judgement on Chanel. Has anyone been to Leven, Scotland? If so, what's it like?
    Last edited by Snafoo; 6th January 2008 at 12:05 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Thank you Chanel for having the balls to run a business to your standards. Most companies today don't do the right thing because they are afraid of fallout.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

"Marilyn Monroe end-orsed Chanel’s flagship brand. When asked what she wore in bed, Monroe replied, “Two drops of Chanel No. 5.”--LOL!
    Last edited by kbe; 6th January 2008 at 01:25 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Kind of ironic coming from a company whose founder was a guttersnipe, possibly a whore at one point, a virulent anti-Semite and a devout Nazi whose collaboration with the Third Reich is amply documented.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 6th January 2008 at 01:39 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Chanel NEVER have sales at their boutique, they are not interested in selling their products below cost. I admire their integrity in preserving their branding image and identity - however, their perfume is not the as high end as their fashion.

A very common practice especially with luxury brands is to reserve the right to sell in the type of outlet it deems appropriate for the image of the brand. I doubt that Chanel found judgement on the town itself, but they probably determined the particular outlet that had been carrying the brand was not up to their standards. Snafoo is correct in his assertion that this story was surely sensationalized by the newspapeer to create a story by spinning the decision by Chanel to be an indictment of the town itself. I am sure Chanel just found this outlet not up to its standards. Select brands will refuse to sell to a particular customer due to all kinds of reasons including: the type of shop, the other competitive brands they might carry, the quality and design of the display, and the breadth of products they stock of the range. I've seen this practice used commonly in the U.S. for all types of products from kitchen housewares, to designer brand clothing, etc. Justification of this practice is that the company wants to protect the integrity of the brand in the eyes of the consumer by controlling the retail presentation and its long term affect on the brand image.

Chanel does all sorts of unusual things to control their distribution (and not just for fragrances). Excess stock of unsold product is recycled, burnt, or destroyed once the product is returned to Chanel in accordance with Chanel's (very strict) procedures. This is so their product does not end up on the grey market to dilute their brand image.

Notably, Chanel just stopped selling their fragrances at JCPenney after 30+ years this year (except at the 50 stores where Sephora has replaced Penney's fragrance counters). Staying in Penney's back when their brand image was weak in the late 90s... now that might have diluted Chanel's brand image a wee bit, don't you think?

Still, many JCPenney stores (I think around 250-300 of them) will be getting their fragrance counters stripped out and replaced with Sephora store within-a-stores starting in the spring, along with all new JCPenney stores. The Sephora store-within-a-stores are run by JCPenney and are 1/3 the size of a normal Sephora; however, the atmosphere is virtually identical, and the employees receive the same training as a normal Sephora.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 6th January 2008 at 02:16 PM.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Let them wear Canoe
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Kind of ironic coming from a company whose founder was a guttersnipe, possibly a whore at one point, a virulent anti-Semite and a devout Nazi whose collaboration with the Third Reich is amply documented.
    Yup, she did manage to get through that little disturbance unscathed, didn't she?

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

"Grace Houston, 20 a shop assistant, said: “I think it’s shocking. My mum spends a fortune on Chanel products and now she’s going to have to spend extra going to Kirkcaldy to buy them now. Peoples’ money in Leven is as good as anyone else’s.”

"The folks in Leven must suddenly feel like a collective precariate (the untouchables of neoliberalism)."

these two statements don't equate. and what's a precariate?
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 6th January 2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's all the fuzz about?

Chanel clearly examines the stores in which their products are being sold, and if the stores don't meet the requirement (too messy, too many discount products that will diminish the value perspective of your own brand, whatever is in Chanel's audit programme etc.) they don't sell it there.

Big deal.

Of course some people will start to whine and cry and bring in fake arguments like "people here obviously are too low class to use Chanel products". That's a lot of hogwash. If the store doesn't meet requirements, Chanel products won't be on those shelves. It's that simple.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 6th January 2008 at 02:40 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    what's a precariate?
    Precariate is the 21st-century equivalent of Marx' "Lumpenproletariat"
    http://www.sanprecario.info/
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Precariate is the 21st-century equivalent of Marx' "Lumpenproletariat"
    http://www.sanprecario.info/
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Looks like I'm taking the minority view here (again), but I don't see what the fuss is about. The pejoritive "low class" was most certainly not issued by Chanel - that would be the epitome of low class - but was used by the Express to sensationalize an otherwise routine business decision. Would you expect Serge Lutens to open a boutique in Walmart? Nearly all businesses, and certainly all those selling luxury goods, have minimum standards for their retail outlets. Since we don't know the circumstances of the case, I suggest withholding judgement on Chanel. Has anyone been to Leven, Scotland? If so, what's it like?

Well said.

I agree that the term "low class" was used by the newspaper to sensationalize the incident, the company said nothing of the sort.
    A company has the right to sell their products in an area where they see fit to sell it, and I think Chanel was being fair in giving the store in question a second chance to improve the surroundings before pulling the stock off of the shelves - I doubt other companies would be as fair. I too admire Chanel for sticking to their guns... There's not a lot companies out there that have the cajoles to do that nowadays.

This should not have been such a big deal in the first place. I've seen Chanel being sold in less than stellar areas, and if you want proof, then come over here. The Dillard's store within the mall is not exactly stellar looking, and neither is the mall, or other stores surrounding said mall.

(And as far as company founders go, I think quite a few people forget that Walt Disney was also a HUGE supporter of the Nazi regime, and he was quite open about that as well.)
    Last edited by Jen81; 7th January 2008 at 01:55 AM.

The Daily Express is too low class for Basenotes. After all, isn't it where Rupert Murdoch learned his chops in the early 50's?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th January 2008 at 02:46 AM.

Tell us how you really feel? BTW I 100% agree with you, which is why I don't buy chanel products. Also I find the "HUGO BOSS: Selection" fragrance ironic, given that Boss made uniforms for the SS.
    Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour View Post
    Chanel NEVER have sales at their boutique, they are not interested in selling their products below cost. I admire their integrity in preserving their branding image and identity - however, their perfume is not the as high end as their fashion.
    The only reason Chanel doesn't have sales, is because they are more profitable selling goods at full retail and maintaining an exclusive image. Chanel's gross margin on fragrance probably runs north of 60%, and the company as a whole probably runs north of 50% (Fragrance/Cosmetics/Acessories being most profitable, Haute Coture being least profitable).

I've seen Chanel ties and scarves floating around at Filene's basement, so they don't have 100% control. Probably the main thing Chanel can say for themselves is that they have carefully controled over exposure, vs say Burberry, which is now trying to reclaim its brand from the chavs and WAG crowd.
    Last edited by Nitromusk; 7th January 2008 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

That Coco was cuckoo!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th January 2008 at 09:06 AM.

Read the story carefully. The reporter states, "...the Paris-based fashion house declared the town too low class for its luxury range...."

No it didn't.

It's the reporter's opinion that the decision was based on the unworthiness of the townspeople ("...Apparently the shoppers of Leven are not good enough for Chanel...") but it was not the reason for Chanel's decision. In fact, the reporter quotes both Boot's and Chanel's own spokespersons and they make it very clear that it was the stores and only the stores that failed the audit, not the entire town and its townspeople.

But of course, spinning it as a class issue guarantees more eyeballs. It's pretty clear who really views the inhabitants of Leven as "low class."
    Last edited by Griff; 7th January 2008 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Read the story carefully. The reporter states, "...the Paris-based fashion house declared the town too low class for its luxury range...."

No it didn't.

It's the reporter's opinion that the decision was based on the unworthiness of the townspeople ("...Apparently the shoppers of Leven are not good enough for Chanel...") but it was not the reason for Chanel's decision. In fact, the reporter quotes both Boot's and Chanel's own spokespersons and they make it very clear that it was the stores and only the stores that failed the audit, not the entire town and its townspeople.

But of course, spinning it as a class issue guarantees more eyeballs. It's pretty clear who really views the inhabitants of Leven as "low class."
    From the article :

Chanel recently refused to restock a number of other shops in Leven following the audit, which it’s thought takes a range of factors into account, including the store itself, and the proximity of bars, bookmakers, or other businesses deemed inappropriate to the prestigious brand.

This implies that the town isn't classy enough to sell Chanel products.
    -

Before i move in to another home, i'll make sure there's a Chanel retailer in the area .
    Last edited by knightowl; 7th January 2008 at 05:25 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    From the article :

"...Chanel recently refused to restock a number of other shops in Leven following the audit, which it’s thought takes a range of factors into account, including the store itself, and the proximity of bars, bookmakers, or other businesses deemed inappropriate to the prestigious brand.

This implies that the town isn't classy enough to sell Chanel products.
    Yes the story does imply that the town isn't classy enough to sell Chanels but it isn't Chanel that is doing the "implying." Again, read the wording very carefully:

"...Chanel recently refused to restock a number of other shops in Leven following the audit, which it’s thought takes a range of factors into account, including the store itself, and the proximity of bars, bookmakers, or other businesses deemed inappropriate to the prestigious brand..."

Again, it is the reporter's supposition alone that the town is unsuitable or "not classy enough" for Chanel, not Chanel's.

"...which it's thought..."

Those seemingly innocent little phrase makes all the difference. Everything after it is the reporter's opinion and is not based on any facts or statements from either the store or Chanel.

The reporter is creating a story where there is none.
    Last edited by Griff; 7th January 2008 at 05:39 AM.

Yes it does imply that but it isn't Chanel that is doing the "implying." Again, read the wording very carefully:

"...Chanel recently refused to restock a number of other shops in Leven following the audit, which it’s thought takes a range of factors into account, including the store itself, and the proximity of bars, bookmakers, or other businesses deemed inappropriate to the prestigious brand..."

Again, it is the reporter's supposition that the town is unsuitable for Chanel, not Chanel's.

The reporter is creating a story where there is none.
    I wouldn't be surprised if those were the actual considerations Chanel takes into account because many top tier retail chains and other exclusive stores certainly consider the locality and the surroundings before setting up shop there.

Eitherways, the townspeople can buy Chanel if they travel 8 more miles...the Les Exclusifs, thats what they should really be complaining about.
    -

"Honey...I'm off up the high street for a quick pub stop, a check in with my bookie and maybe a fast in and out at the porn shop. Back in a hour.."

"That's nice dear... could you pick up a pint of milk and some eggs on your way back? An oh, stop off at Boots would you? We are running low on Cuir De Russie... There's a love..."

"Honey...I'm off up the high street for a quick pub stop, a check in with my bookie and maybe a fast in and out at the porn shop. Back in a hour.."

"That's nice dear... could you pick up a pint of milk and some eggs on your way back? An oh, stop off at Boots would you? We are running low on Cuir De Russie... There's a love..."
    LOL! My thought exactly!

We are not seriously discussing an egalitarian access to Chanel products, are we?

Or even better: do you think we've got case material on our hands there? That should make for an interesting trial report in the columns of the Express... I can hear the headlines already:"In the case of the people of Leven town against Chanel, I declare the defendant guilty!" Please...

A couple of weeks ago my sister was in town visiting so I took her to all the typical touristy places in LA including Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. We went to the Chanel boutique there, and I of course went striaght for the fragrance section and the SA told me all of the Les Exclusifs were on sale. They were only like 20 bucks off, but they were on sale. So if the Chanel boutique in Beverly Hills is going to have a sale, why wouldn't other boutiques have them??
    As a Jew I really don't see much of a problem buying Chanel, shopping for a BMW, or watching a Disney produced movie. I don't think you can hold people responsible for the actions of people that came before them. If the CEO of BMW comes out and says he's a neo nazi then that's a different story, but you can't hate people for the actions of their ancestors. The people running these companies now probably have no anti-semetic sentiments. I'm curious to see if other Jews here feel the same about Chanel...
    Last edited by Avner Azryel; 7th January 2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I've always found the Chanel counter woman at my locla Debenhams (in Scotland) to be very aloof and condescending. She acts like she is a emissary sent from the house of Chanel itself who is aghast at having to work in such a horrible little shop as opposed to what she actually is - just another Debenhams employee.
    Last edited by sdmilne; 7th January 2008 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen81 View Post
    (And as far as company founders go, I think quite a few people forget that Walt Disney was also a HUGE supporter of the Nazi regime, and he was quite open about that as well.)
    Walt Disney was not a supporter of the Nazis, though he did meet with them several times. Generally, he was a very far-right anti-communist/anti-union staunch Republican who was a friend of Joe McCarthy. (Ironically, today's Walt Disney Company is a strong backer of Democrats.)

In fact, the Disney Animation Studios made several anti-Nazi WWII propaganda films for the US government. One was called "Education for Death", which was based upon a book of the same name. Another one, "Der Fuehrer's Face", starred (aw phooey!) Donald Duck in a munitions factory.

You can read more on Walt Disney's feelings here: http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mdisneyfascist.html
    Last edited by MFfan310; 7th January 2008 at 03:50 PM.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

This seems like a bit of a piss take.
    Last edited by DirtyHarry; 7th January 2008 at 04:33 PM.

There is a small town and a shop in this town. There is a big company, which withdraw its products from this town.
    I don't see in the article any snobbism, any offense to people, poor or wealthy, in this small town, whatsoever.
    Of course one can read it between the lines if one wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmilne View Post
    I've always found the Chanel counter woman at my locla Debenhams (in Scotland) to be very aloof and condescending. She acts like she is a emissary sent from the house of Chanel itself who is aghast at having to work in such a horrible little shop as opposed to what she actually is - just another Debenhams employee.
    Oh so true, not in Scotland, but in all of UK in general, apart from London, in the smaller towns, all the SA's are all snooty. I'm sorry, but if it wasn't for customers like me, that you're rude to, you'd be unemployed People make judgments, but, as an SA you can't afford to do that, i've noticed that with commission based shops, SA's are a ton load nicer

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Walt Disney was not a supporter of the Nazis, though he did meet with them several times. Generally, he was a very far-right anti-communist/anti-union staunch Republican who was a friend of Joe McCarthy. (Ironically, today's Walt Disney Company is a strong backer of Democrats.)

In fact, the Disney Animation Studios made several anti-Nazi WWII propaganda films for the US government. One was called "Education for Death", which was based upon a book of the same name. Another one, "Der Fuehrer's Face", starred (aw phooey!) Donald Duck in a munitions factory.

You can read more on Walt Disney's feelings here: http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mdisneyfascist.html
    Thank you for the correction

Quote Originally Posted by sdmilne View Post
    I've noticed this about salespeople at a lot of high end clothing/cosmetics stores and have never understood how a salesperson manages to get him/herself onto such a high horse so as to pass judgment over the customers.

I have a friend who worked at a designer clothing store for a couple of years and I got seriously alarmed when she began blowing entire paycheques on pricey clothes and accessories and bragging about her "expensive tastes." I was very tempted to remind her that she is NOT the wealthy clients that she serves, and that owning $400 pairs of shoes on $10/hour and a measly commission demonstrates stupidity, not class. She finally got fed up with that job and quit, and came back to her senses, thank god!

The same sales assistant i mentioned also refused to allow for a non chanel product to be paid for at her till as it would "hold up her customers". This was while there was nobody else nearby needing her attention. In Debenhams, as far as i'm aware, you're able to pay for anything at any counter. I have several times paid for clothing at the general fragrances till or as another example paid for a fragrance in the GAME section. She also claimed to have no idea about the promotion where you received vouchers after spending a certain amount of money in-store. This claim coming from her mere seconds after an announcement over the loud speakers. There's just no need to act in that way whatsoever.