Code of Conduct

Question More Dry Green Florals, Please...

I am a man who has never posted on the Female Fragrance Board, so first of all: Hi everybody.

Of late I've expanded my scent palette to include frags marketed to women, but said by many here and elsewhere to be wearable by men.

To date, I've had success with Shalimar and Mitsouko...don't worry, I'll tackle the other elder Guerlains one day;-)

I bought Ivoire at Marshalls as I heard it was a soapy, dry-ish floral green chypre. I had some buyers' remorse right afterward, but then I sprayed it on me and it was quite good. I've sampled it again today and it continues to grow on me.

Long story short: If I'm gonna wear florals, this seems like the way to do it or at least begin a floral addiction. Can any of you with similar tastes or extensive knowledge of this category school me on what else is out there? Not to be overly repetitive but I'm a dry frag guy at heart - I'm not big on sweet unless it's balanced by earthier/duskier elements like oakmoss, patchouli, leather, labdanum, galbanum, vetiver, etc.
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Default Re: More Dry Green Florals, Please...

If you liked Ivoire, please try another green floral by Balmain: Vent Vert.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

O de Lancome -- wearable by both men and women, dry green citrus with just a bit of flowers and truckloads of softest moss;
    Chanel # 19 -- perceived as dry by many depending on the concentration (the weaker -- the dryer) and is a wonderful example of iris and rose combo;
    Jean Couturier Coriandre -- as dry as they come in the beginning giving way to the lushest orange blossom and rose;
    Ralph Lauren Safari -- dry the whole duration, slightly boozy and woody notes in the beginning make it very saught after by men as well as women, has some "tired" greenness nonetheless;
    Prescriptives Flirt -- do not let the name to lead you astray and think about ethereal, sweet and girly as it is none of the three, very green and interesting;
    Gucci # 3 -- hard to find these days, complex and beautiful;
    Dior Diorella -- same as above, but different;
    Frederic Malle Angelica sans le Plui -- give it a try, it is wet dryness here (tehehe);
    Givenchy 3 -- have not tried the new reformulation yet, but seems like you would enjoy it;
    D'Orsay Arome 3 -- was initially made for men, but can be worn by anyone, it has it all!
    Clinique Aromatics Elixir and Estee Lauder Private Collection -- both are straightforward, bitter, green and excellent.

I think you'd like M de Molinard, or Molinard de Molinard- it always comes to mind !
    [Great choices, Twolf !]
    Some others to sniff:
    Mechant Loup [L'AP]
    Querelle [PG]
    Corps et Ames [PG]
    Yerbamate [LV]
    SMN- Fieno,Calycanthus, and the Scottish Broom one;
    AL Moss
    Antilope, or Weil de Weil
    Cristalle EDT
    Bel Respiro
    Parfum Y

Need more coffee !

Elizabeth Arden Green Tea has a nice bite to it. Lovely and refreshing.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

So many good recs, I wasn't sure I could add anything.
    Getting away from your specific request for green-florals, but if you enjoy Shalimar, you have to try Vol de Nuit EDT. I think of it as an airier, less sweet and resinous verison of Shalimar.
    Cristalle EDP is more floral, but I think a man could pull it off.
    Look into iris scents - TDC Bois d'Iris, L'Artisan Iris Padilla.
    Also:
    L'Artisan Fleur de Narcisse
    EL Aliage
    Trussardi Skin

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Clinique Aromatics Elixir and Estee Lauder Private Collection -- both are straightforward, bitter, green and excellent.
    Ditto

Clarification: Twolf is recommending Estee Lauder's Private Collection, NOT the new Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia which is a different fragrance (a big, big white floral). I would go with the EdT of Private Collection, I own the parfum/extrait and it's a little too strong, just 1 drop is sometimes too much. The EdT is slightly more crisp and not so sharp.

I also recommend you try White Linen by Estee Lauder (the EdT).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Something new:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...ection=1&rv=on

You could try L'Artisan Jacinthe des Bois as well.

Eau de Soir and the other one by Sisley - I think it's Eau de Champagne.
    Balmain de Balmainm- chypre green
    Derby - spicy green
    Irisia - floral spicy green

that one by pd nicolai - can't wait to get my hands on a sample of that!

Have fun with your search!

Chanel No 19
    Cologne Nature by Parfums de Nicolai
    Imperiale by Guerlain
    Green Tea or Green Tea with Mint by L'Occitane

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    You could try L'Artisan Jacinthe des Bois as well.
    Oh, that one broke my heart! I adore Jacinthe des Bois.
    YES, YES. Highly recommended.
    Like spring flowers with the leathery green leaves poking their new growth above the snow.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 13th January 2008 at 02:39 PM.

Calandre (Eau de Calandre) by Paco Rabanne
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 13th January 2008 at 03:45 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I wanted to add Temps d'Une Fete by Parfums de Nicolai.

Off-Scenter

Diptyque's Virgilio is a benchmark green/floral blend for me, and it's very easy for a man to wear. During the summer Menard's L'Eau de Ryokuei and Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Padme Lotus are also winners. For a smokier green with less floral influence, there's Lorenzo Villoresi's brilliant Yerbamate, while Aramis Devin is a wonderful citrusy-leathery green scent that's explicitly for men. On the more floral green side there are En Passant from Frederic Malle, Comme des Garcons Series 1 Leaves: Lily, Tillieul by D'Orsay, and Royal Pavillion by Etro. More challengin for many men are two remarkable (but expensive) tuberose scents: Carnal Flower and Tubereuse Criminelle. These take b@lls! I wear both, but I suspect that most male Basenoters wouldn't go anywhere near them, even though they're marketed as unisex. You've probably noticed that many of these are niche scents. That's partially because green scents in general are not all that popular in the designer market, and also because overtly floral unisex scents (never mind scents for men) are rare as hen's teeth anywhere. One last niche floral fragrance that I can heartily recomend for men is Serge Lutens's Fleurs de Citronnier. Clear, light and sparkling, like hard lemonade on a hot July day!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 13th January 2008 at 10:54 PM.

Blog Entries

You might try 'Fendi' or 'Dioressence'. Montale's 'Patchouli Leaves' is very green with soothing hypnotic depth, although not really dry.