Code of Conduct

Default What "real" fragrance resembles fresh dirt?

Is there any "real" fragrances out there (for men) that resembles fresh dirt? I have "Dirt" from Demeter, and I like it, but it's not wearable and has a short longevity. I would like something more wearable, that smells really fresh and earthy without too many other notes. I want something that smells like an autumn forest just after a rainfall, wet leaves, mud, maybe a hint of ripe wild apples.

Edit: I just played around and came up with a really nice scent that comes close to the above! One drop of essential oil (apple), two sprays Demeter "Rain" and half a spray of Demeter "Dirt".
    Last edited by irrbloss; 6th January 2008 at 01:02 PM.

Default Re: What "real" fragrance resembles fresh dirt?

I've often said that Terre d'Hermes is nothing but lemon and cedar and earth on my skin.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

IMO L'artisan's Patchouli Patch has a damp earthy tone to it...

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    Is there any "real" fragrances out there (for men) that resembles fresh dirt? I have "Dirt" from Demeter, and I like it, but it's not wearable and has a short longevity. I would like something more wearable, that smells really fresh and earthy without too many other notes. I want something that smells like an autumn forest just after a rainfall, wet leaves, mud, maybe a hint of ripe wild apples.

Edit: I just played around and came up with a really nice scent that comes close to the above! One drop of essential oil (apple), two sprays Demeter "Rain" and half a spray of Demeter "Dirt".
    The description of the scent you seek sounds marvelous.
    Scents that come to mind that for me, evoke damp earth are
    Voleur de Roses
    Sienne l'Hiver
    Midnight Violet

there may be more, will have to search memory banks and sampling notes.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Sounds like you're a man for MPG's Route du Vetiver.

It doesn't have the apple though.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Check out Hermes un jardin mediterraine and sur le nil. I get damp garden from both.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Dior Homme... very earthy "damp soil after a rainshower" kinda tones on my skin.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

MPG Route du Vetiver = DIRT pour homme edp

Basenotes Plus

cb i hate perfume's Black March or the more recent Wild Hunt...definitely. CB was the original creator of Demeter's Dirt, so I think you'll find what you're looking for with his line.
    Also, Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab had a scent called "Graveyard" that was dirt personified. Beth does the alegorical scents really well. Here's a link & another fragrance called Jazz Funeral http://vanilla.spicybrains.org/searc...itle=0#results
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Thanks for all your replies, now I need to get some samples of them. I got really interested in the "I hate perfume's", are those wearable, or more like the fragrances of Demeter (more of a "sniff"-experience than something you wear)?

You should try Demeter's Earthworm as well. It smells just like potting soil. Not my thing, but maybe it could be blended with something else to produce something more wearable.

CBI's Memories of Kindness smells like tomatoes on the vine, and that to me is an earthy, dirty, smell. I don't get sun, I get something much closer to the ground.

I'll second the choice of Midnight Violets which was great as a sampler, but the bottle is too dirty for me. It might suit you better.

Jo Malone Cassie and Fig smellls like wet black cold soil

Off-Scenter

Another endorsement of Route du Vetiver!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 6th January 2008 at 07:18 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Lovers of DIRT unite!

Welcome to BN irrbloss - I love dirt notes too. Read this thread for more suggestions: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=196034

I highly recommend Route du Vetiver by Maitre Parfumeur Generale. I asked the same question when I started on Basenotes and everyone directed me to the RdV. Once I tried it, I knew this was something that was very special. Another dirty floral fragrance from MPG is Un Jardin du Nil (not to be confused with the non-dirty Un Jardin Sur le Nil by Hermes...confusing, isn't it?). The MPG's UJN is both highly floral and extremely dirty: I always get the visual image of a bridal bouquet of flowers thrown in a mud puddle, when I smell this.

The CB I Hate Perfume line is a wonderful way to smell DIRT in many, many forms, However the CBIHP line is very similar to the Demeter line (the owner of CBIHP used to be at Demeter) and the difference is the CBIHP scents are in water formulas and oil formulas (not alcohol base, like Demeters). I love Black March by CBIHP. Smells like you scooped your hand in dirt, in your backyard. CBIHP are wonderful little poems of fragrances, but remember they have low longevity (for the high prices they charge). Just be aware of this, before you purchase.

A great dirty Demeter scent not mentioned is Pruning Shears. This also happens to have been done by Francis Kurkdjian, the perfumer behind some great fragrances (Gaulter 2, Narciso Rodrigues for Him, etc.)

Good luck!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Smile Re: What "real" fragrance resembles fresh dirt?

I think that Montale patchouli leaves smells like freshly turned black loam.
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Might try Bois d' Orage or French Lover from Editions Parfum Frederic Malle. It smells very much like dirt, roots, wet rain and plants pulled up out of the earth to me. Also, Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver is a very dry and earthy vetiver smells more like earth than dirt - but its close.

Basenotes Institution

New one to add, that I wore today: Dark Earth by Neil Morris. Outstanding dirty woods, moss and a slight dry resin note that is not incense-y (like everything else is these days...) but gives it a nice dark edge.

This is not available on the Neil Morris site, but when I have more buying information I'll post it.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Provence Sante Vetyver has a damp earth feel to it. You can pick it up at Whole Foods for 30 bucks.

oops...Sorry, I didn't see until now that you are not in the US.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 6th February 2008 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    I've often said that Terre d'Hermes is nothing but lemon and cedar and earth on my skin.
    Yes - I would agree. Though if you want a Novel Experience™ try CB I hate Perfumes Wild Hunt.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO View Post
    I think that Montale patchouli leaves smells like freshly turned black loam.
    I got the same impression.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Well, Dior Homme was the only fragrance from this thread which I found in a department store - so I tried it, and all I get is just lipstick. Sweet old-fashioned lipstick, which ends in a warm sweet dry-down. No earth, no dirt.

Is MPG Vetiver any closer to dirt than this? I should test it.

In fact, I have just tried CB Black March - and I loved it! This is the sort of damp earth/dirt smell I want. In the Black March it is mixed with some white flowers which could be replaced with something else, more masculine perhaps. I'm going to try other samples from CB.

Thunderstorm by Demeter is like dirt on steroids, the same thing but much stronger with longer longevity.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kdo View Post
    Well, Dior Homme was the only fragrance from this thread which I found in a department store - so I tried it, and all I get is just lipstick. Sweet old-fashioned lipstick, which ends in a warm sweet dry-down. No earth, no dirt.

Is MPG Vetiver any closer to dirt than this? I should test it.

In fact, I have just tried CB Black March - and I loved it! This is the sort of damp earth/dirt smell I want. In the Black March it is mixed with some white flowers which could be replaced with something else, more masculine perhaps. I'm going to try other samples from CB.
    Yes, you will smell dirt in Route du Vetiver. Please try it - it is a dirt and vetiver lovers favorite.

I have tried Black March also (i went thru my water decant really quick) and I found it just perfect - more like the smell of mud, a very wet dirt note that took me back to being a kid and playing in the dirt in my backyard.

I also get no dirt from Dior Homme. Just powdery iris.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Vetiver Extraordinaire by frederic Malle reminds me of dug up dirt and grass covered wuth dew on an early november morning.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Guerlain Vetiver- smells like grass and soil, very nice. Vetiver Extraordinaire is also a great suggestion.

I Hate Perfume Wild Hunt...smells like dirt at the zoo.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

Cool Re: What "real" fragrance resembles fresh dirt?

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post

I seems you're really describing 'forest' rather than 'dirt' scents.

But If I'm mistaken then go to the Yves Rocher site and order " Nature Millanaire PH. "

Notes: Earth Scents, Bergamot, Orange, Cardamom, Coriander, Cinnamon Bark, Cedarwood, Incense, Myrrh, Benzoin.

Not for me, but you might like it. Arid as hell, too.

(If you must have apples you could nuy Homme Nature from the same site and layer it.)

Now, if i'm NOT mistaken and you're really referring to a 'wet forest' scent, you've got a lot more choices.

MPG Route de Vetiver is certainly one, though I can only think of one reason to wear it, and that's to freak out all the Yatagan users.

There are other vetivers which are excellent, two of which already mentioned, Guerlian's and LV's

I'd recommend Jacomo de Jacomo-- and other powerhouse 80's outdoor frags.

Azarro PH (1978) A great fougere, has a 'refined forest' feel to it. ( no apples though)--- For that matter so does BdP
    And stay away from Abecrombie and Fitch.

And it might not be too much of a stretch to try Rocabar, either

What a good question. I wish I could have come up with a better answer.
    Good luck in your quest,

Mario

Then there's Yatagan.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    New one to add, that I wore today: Dark Earth by Neil Morris. Outstanding dirty woods, moss and a slight dry resin note that is not incense-y (like everything else is these days...) but gives it a nice dark edge.

This is not available on the Neil Morris site, but when I have more buying information I'll post it.

Oo...ooo..I'm jumping up & down. This one is perfect. A couple more Neil scent suggestions are his Dark Season & Spirit of Earth. I have samples of both & I'm a sharin' sort, especially when it comes to Neils frags.
    Or....you could email David & ask him to send you samples. Be sure to tell him where you heard about them. He knows me as rhm/christine from sniffapalooza & bnotes.

The more I think of it, the more Spirit of Earth would be just what you are looking for: rich loamy soil, great lasting power too.
    Current Favorites: #5 edt, #19 edt & parfum - Chanel, FRACAS - Robert Piguet, A Taste of Heaven - By Killian, Apres L'Ondee- Guerlain, LUX & Carnation - Mona di Orio, Une Rose - Frederick Malle, Kiki - Vero Kern, Bois de Violette & Sarrasins - Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    On mine as well. But for me, it is lemon/citrus, CEDAR, and earth.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 19th February 2008 at 12:55 AM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

OK, I've finished trying all my CB samples. And yes, among all of them, these two really stand out:

Wild Hunt - my absolute favourite, delivers exactly what it promises: dry earth of deep forest floor, dirt, mushrooms. Awesome!!!
    Black March is the second favourite.

A few other CB fragrances have a dirt note, but there it is subtle and overshadowed by other notes, so no competition to the first two frags.

All the Vetiver samples (MPG, FM and others) should be coming in next week, so we'll see how dirty they really are and what they're good for.

+1 on Buzzlepuff's recommendation of Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver. I gave away my little bottles of Demeter's Dirt and Earthworm, but I love the earthiness of LV's Vetiver. It's not a fresh vetiver a la Creed OV; it's in the same ballpark as the oft-recommended MPG Route de Vetiver, but I prefer the LV, having sampled both. I think I'm also one of the few here who doesn't care for the Guerlain Vetiver.

Annick Goutal's Vetiver is an earthy masculine scent. MPG's Route du Vetiver most definitely as well as mentioned above.

another really earthy scent is terre de bois by miller harris. i remember trying it a few years ago and i think it was pretty decent. lots of vetiver, but not a "vetiver" scent, which i think is a rarity.

How about Nasamatto's Absinth? Just like fresh dirt dug up after a rainstorm. It's got that damp sweet earthy pungency you get when planting flowers in spring.

Some intermediate results of my testing the vetiver samples.

First I tried the CB I Hate Perfume vetiver accords, only to discover that all these three vetivers smell distinctly different from each other.
    Haitian Vetiver Accord: deep earth/soil dug up after rain, musty, smoky
    Indonesian Vetiver Accord: tangy medicinal (sort of spicy dry root/herbs), smoky
    Javanese Vetiver Accord: dry dusty earth, smoky, a bit medicinal (dry root)

Perhaps these three accords could provide a common reference frame for comparisons.
    Among the three, I definitely like only the CB Haitian Vetiver. It is not exactly the same as CB signature dirt note, but it is an interesting variation of dirt.

So, what can I say. We have a very strong contender here:

Miller Harris - Vetiver Bourbon

Opens with the rich deep soil/dirt, smoky and just a bit musty. (Thus similar to CB Haitian Vetiver.)
    Soon it blends with dark green woody mossy notes (dominated by oakmoss, I suppose). In other words, it is "earth + forest". Very nice indeed! Develops smoothly and gradually, lasts very long, and stays close to the skin.
    I like the oakmoss note here better than in Creed's BdP. Here it is more dark and velvety.

Other frags I tried and liked:

Frederic Malle - French Lover (Bois d'Orage)
    "vegetal/forest" - thick dark green plants. Quite nice, but not much dirt/earth, if any.

Hermès - Un jardin mediterranee
    Very nicely done summer garden. Blooming trees with some fruits, a hint of wet earth. Woods + green leaves + a little floral (but not too feminine. I think I could pull it off).

Jo Malone - Black Vetyver Cafe
    Nice dark coffee + woods + smoke. No earth. No vetiver either.

Frags I tried and disliked:

Frederic Malle- Vetiver Extraordinaire
    No dirt, no earth. I mostly get spicy root (very tangy medicinal), and altogether it smells "refreshing". Disgusting stuff.

Creed - Bois de Portugal
    First a blast of spicy lavender, then the "forest" main note, a little too crisp. It is good, but I prefer the darker and more velvety Vetiver Bourbon.

Annick Goutal - Vetiver
    No earth/dirt. It has exotic flowers + a lot of harsh marine/oceanic (rotten seaweed). Nasty...

il Profumo - Vetiver de Java
    No earth. Opens with lavender, then becomes more woodsy. Boring.

Also ordered MPG RdV, LV Vetiver and Terre de Bois and a few others from Ausliebezumduft, but the package never arrived. 40 Euros worth of samples lost somewhere on the way from Germany to Denmark.
    Will have to obtain these samples from some place else.

Cheers!