Code of Conduct

Default Need a little help - gift suggestion for male friend

I'd like to get a fragrance for my friend for his birthday (he'll be 22), but I'm completely clueless. I'm not familiar with fragrances, let alone fragrances for men! I would really appreciate your expertise on this. What would you recommend that is nice and not too expensive?

Default Re: Need a little help - gift suggestion for male friend

The price of Ferrari and Jaguar lines is not high. You can find them online. Ferrari #1 is a safe buy I think, including Black. For Jaguar, Performance is a fresh, crisp scent.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

hey robyn! i'm from melbourne too, so i assume you might be after something that can be worn during the hot weather we've been having?

i'd reccomend versace man eau fraiche (light blue, square-ish bottle). at the moment it's about $80 for 100ml at perfume connection, but i imagine you could find it cheaper in chemists (or you could find a 50ml bottle somewhere!)

it's nice, summery (but not boring!) and has some serious lasting power.

best of luck!
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Armani Acqua di Gio is probably the most popular fragrance of all time. In spite of this, or more likely because of this, it doesn't get a lot of cred here, but it is pretty damn good smelling, and suits australian weather. Bvlgari Aqua is a classier alternative, not as well known, but better, and in a cool bottle. Both would be easily available in DJs, Myer, chemists.

Polo Ralph Lauren make some very accessible stuff too (Safari, Romance Silver, Black, Double Black, etc) - you could go to the counter and experiment, see which one you like.

With the sales on, you might even pick up a bargain. Chemists often have great stuff like Bvlgari Pour Homme, Paco Rabanne XS, Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme, YSL Body Kouros on their tables for $30-40.

Good Luck!

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

i second romance silver by ralph lauren...it cost 45 dollars us, another good one that is really nice is chemistry by clinique which is 30 dollars us, hope this helps.

Thank you for your recommendations.

I was on another forum and all the females were raving about Armani Acqua di Gio...but I think it's a toss up between Bvlgari Aqua and Romance Silver.

I'd really recommend Bvlgari Aqua, as its less common, and probably more appreciated by anybody that has a liking for good quality fragrances Aqua di Gio is more like an expensive version of Lynx (or Axe as they call it in the US, not sure about Australia !)

Dollar for dollar, you can't beat Rochas Lui and Carven Homme.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Vivek, it's Lynx for us too.

I've just gone ahead and ordered Bvlgari Aqua. Very excited, lol.

Thanks again.

As you should be, it's a nice fragrance, hope he likes it !

What I'd do is give him a gift card or certificate of any place he shops at to buy his cologne. You can't lose there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    What I'd do is give him a gift card or certificate of any place he shops at to buy his cologne. You can't lose there.
    It's not personal, and not much thought is put into it, even if its something he doesn't like, he'll always remember it as the fragrance that *insert name here* gave to him

I would add Issey Miyake to the list, but second bvlgari choice.

Quote Originally Posted by robyntang View Post
    Vivek, it's Lynx for us too.

I've just gone ahead and ordered Bvlgari Aqua. Very excited, lol.

Thanks again.
    Good job, I think you made the right decision.

Besides you call tell him he needs to buy you something from Bvlgari to repay you, a nice necklace perhaps? Bvlgari is tons classier than Armani!
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

One of my fave scents! I always want to wear it, but sometimes I feel like it's TOO good to where to class or work. I like it far better than AdG.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Thumbs up Re: Need a little help - gift suggestion for male friend

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    The price of Ferrari and Jaguar lines is not high. You can find them online. Ferrari #1 is a safe buy I think, including Black. For Jaguar, Performance is a fresh, crisp scent.
    Good recommendations, let me add "Ferrari Extreme (Black)", which is a very nice and long lasting aquatic, and I'm sure any ordinary perfume wearer will admire it.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Dollar for dollar, you can't beat Rochas Lui and Carven Homme.
    I'll 2nd Carven Homme. It's a spicy beauty that I like even more than Guerlain's Heritage. The price, considering its quality, is simply quite amazing.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th January 2008 at 10:46 AM.