Code of Conduct

Default Calling all vetiver experts..

Not been on the board for several years, so forgive me for missing any more recent discussions on this.

Ok, here’s the problem – Vetiver by l’artisan parfumeur, my favourite scent, my holy grail, whatever you want to call it - has been discontinued. For those of you who’ve had your favourite put out of production, you’ll know how annoying this is. Rather than try and buy a lifetime supply before it disappears, I’m looking for something else.

I was wondering if anyone likes this scent and from experience can recommend something of equal note. To help narrow it down, over the years, I have sampled and worn the following (along with many others not mentioned here) and for various reasons, they didn’t suit me:

Creed (both versions)
    Annick goutal
    Floris
    Frederick Malle
    MPG
    Serge Lutens (vetiver oriental)

I’ve also tried variations on the theme such as terre bois – Miller Harris.

The only scent that I interchange with l’artisan and which is equal to it for me is Guerlain’s vetiver, but for me, it has always been a tobacco scent with a shade of vetiver rather than the spicy richness of l’artisan.

Incidentally, has anyone had any good experiences with the bespoke fragrance service by Le Labo?

Many thanks
    Tom

Default Re: Calling all vetiver experts..

this list was posted a few days ago by Basenotes member scentemental
    he's an excellent judge of fragrance in my opinion, and using this list your nose will encounter some treasures.

Gary

1.Adolofo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    2.Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    3.Carolina Herrera for Men Sensual Vetiver
    4.Carven Vétiver (2006 reformulation)
    5.Comme des Garçons Vettiveru EDC
    6.Creed Original Vetiver EDP
    7.Creed Vetiver (1948)
    8.Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire
    9.Floris Vetiver
    10.Givenchy Vetyver (2007 reformulation)
    11.Guerlain Vetiver EDC (vintage formulation)
    12.Guerlain Vetiver EDT (vintage formulation)
    13.Guerlain Vetiver EDT (current reformulation)
    14.Hermès Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka
    15.Kenzo Air
    16.Lanvin Vetyver
    17.Le Labo Vetiver 46
    18.L’Occitane Vétyver (vintage)
    19.Loewe Pour Homme
    20.Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Racine
    21.Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Route de Vétiver
    22.Mazzolari Vetiver
    23.Parfums de Nicolaï Vetyver
    24.The Different Company Sel de Vétiver

scentemental
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 7th January 2008 at 02:08 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Personally I never smelled the L'Artisan Vetiver, but I think I understand your dillema.

I would try the Givenchy Vetyver - the one they just reformulated and re-released. It might be close to what you're looking for.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    this list was posted a few days ago by Basenotes member scentemental
    he's an excellent judge of fragrance in my opinion, and using this list your nose will encounter some treasures.

Gary

1.Adolofo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    2.Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    3.Carolina Herrera for Men Sensual Vetiver
    4.Carven Vétiver (2006 reformulation)
    5.Comme des Garçons Vettiveru EDC
    6.Creed Original Vetiver EDP
    7.Creed Vetiver (1948)
    8.Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire
    9.Floris Vetiver
    10.Givenchy Vetyver (2007 reformulation)
    11.Guerlain Vetiver EDC (vintage formulation)
    12.Guerlain Vetiver EDT (vintage formulation)
    13.Guerlain Vetiver EDT (current reformulation)
    14.Hermès Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka
    15.Kenzo Air
    16.Lanvin Vetyver
    17.Le Labo Vetiver 46
    18.L’Occitane Vétyver (vintage)
    19.Loewe Pour Homme
    20.Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Racine
    21.Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Route de Vétiver
    22.Mazzolari Vetiver
    23.Parfums de Nicolaï Vetyver
    24.The Different Company Sel de Vétiver

scentemental
    Thanks fredricktoo for the very kind endorsement. While there are a lot of excellent vetivers on that list, and I certainly would encourage tom to try as many of them as he can, the one fragrance, from memory, that matches L'Artisan's Vetiver in the specific sense in which tom requires a match is Parfums de Nicolaï Vetyver.

scentemental

What about Villoresi's vetiver?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

The new Lalique Encre Noir is a FANTASTIC Vetiver scent. And Im not really a vetiver lover. But this I would own in a heartbeat.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

As far as my memory and nose serves me, the closest rendition of Artisan`s Vetiver is
    Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi
    Vetiver de Givenchy (vintage is close, but it`s discontinued earlier, and I did not try the new juice yet)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I think MPG's Racine is the closest myself. Unfortunately it is a matter of the "closest," and none is going to duplicate the delight you get from that good old L'Artisan.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I join with you in mourning the discontinuation of L'Artisan's wonderful vetiver. In trying 40+ vetiver scents in the past several years, I find Etro Vetiver and Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire to be among the closest to the character of L'Artisan, especially the former. I also find Molinard Vetiver EDC to be in the same ballpark.

While I have compared all of these directly to L'Artisan, Guerlain Vetiver Extreme is one that I have not done so, but from memory may well be quite similar, too. I'll try to test directly tonight and post a follow-up.

Fréderic Malle's Vétiver Extraordinaire would be your best bet for a close match, with Villoresi's close behind.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    I join with you in mourning the discontinuation of L'Artisan's wonderful vetiver. In trying 40+ vetiver scents in the past several years, I find Etro Vetiver and Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire to be among the closest to the character of L'Artisan, especially the former. I also find Molinard Vetiver EDC to be in the same ballpark.
    I can tell I have Monday brain today. These suggestions of Jeff's are excellent ones. They're good scents and do fit into the L'Artisan-style family. Good ones to try.

I would give Racine by MPG a try. They are cousins IMO.
    Not to mention, the same nose (Jean Laporte) created both of them.

I didn't do a very close reading of the initial post. However I posted the list because I'm sure the equivalent is hiding in there if not something much better. I'm not much of a L'Artisan fan and this may be sacrilegious but I've always felt that the L'Artisan line had the worst longevity by far of any scents I'd sampled.
    --------------------------------------

While I have compared all of these directly to L'Artisan, Guerlain Vetiver Extreme is one that I have not done so, but from memory may well be quite similar, too. I'll try to test directly tonight and post a follow-up.
    You wouldn't happen to have a link to the Vetiver reports you did? If so it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 7th January 2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    You wouldn't happen to have a link to the Vetiver reports you did? If so it would be appreciated.
    Sure, here you go!

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=172042

Thank you sir!

Add me to the list of those folks suggesting Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver. I don't know why this one gets ignored so often since everybody who does comment on it seems to love it.

I just wanted to thank you all for your helpful suggestions. Glad to see this board is as nice a place to be as it ever was. great reviews Wicozani.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    great reviews Wicozani.
    Thanks, tom, and welcome back!

The Villoresi is gorgeous, but what about Annick Goutal Vetiver, sublime and worth a try.

I never had a chance to smell L'Artisan Parfumeur's Vetiver so I don't know if the following will be relevant, but as far as vetiver goes, I can never think of a more faithful rendering of the root than Miller Harris' Vetiver Bourbon. It almost never gets mentioned here (it isn't even in the directory...), yet I find it stunning, deep, rich, earthy, complex... lovely !

L'Artisan Vetiver uses Bourbon vetiver and most of the others use Haitian. MPG'S Racine and Route du Vetiver use Bourbon vetiver. I believe Villoresi's does as well.

You'd like Carlo Corinto Vetyver but it's hard to find. de Nicolaï's smells nice but it's subtle and short-lasting. Etro's is similar in smell but moves into being a skin scent within a short period of time. You could try Santa Maria Novella's as well. It's a big, smoky vetiver, a little harsh for many people.

The new Carven and Givenchy are good but subtle and short-lasting.

Vetiver Extraordinaire is excellent. Keep working with it. You should try the Floris and Mazzolari as well. Great stuff.
    Last edited by pluran; 8th January 2008 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Thanks fredricktoo for the very kind endorsement. While there are a lot of excellent vetivers on that list, and I certainly would encourage tom to try as many of them as he can, the one fragrance, from memory, that matches L'Artisan's Vetiver in the specific sense in which tom requires a match is Parfums de Nicolaï Vetyver.

scentemental
    I can highly recommend Parfums de Nicolaï Vetyver too. It's my favorite of rather strong (main note) vetivers!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

I've got to disagree with the gang about Patricia de Nicolai's Vetyver. I have a bottle and know it well. It does not at all remind me of L'Artisan's. It does however remind me of Carlo Corinto's Vetyver (I again thank a generous Basenoter for helping me to know this) and the very tail drydown--last three hours--of Villoresi's Vetiver.

I'll have to wear PdN's product in the next few days, but in my experience it isn't similar to L'Artisan's. I hate to swim against the current about this, but the pangs of conscience insist.
    --Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I've got to disagree with the gang about Patricia de Nicolai's Vetyver. I have a bottle and know it well. It does not at all remind me of L'Artisan's. It does however remind me of Carlo Corinto's Vetyver (I again thank a generous Basenoter for helping me to know this) and the very tail drydown--last three hours--of Villoresi's Vetiver.

I'll have to wear PdN's product in the next few days, but in my experience it isn't similar to L'Artisan's. I hate to swim against the current about this, but the pangs of conscience insist.
    --Chris
    I was thinking the same. I'd have to pull out my samples, but from memory, I recall L'Artisan's being heavy on the vetiver, and as you mention, similar to Villoresi's in the drydrown.

PdN's reminds me most of the Mazzolari - again, if memory serves. Sort of medium on the vetiver with citrus and spices. PdN's was spicier and shorter-lived than Mazzolari's though, I believe.

So, I'd recommend Villoresi first, and also SMN, Corinto, Goutal. I'd also agree with the others who say give Malle's VE an extended chance. It's great stuff that grows on you with time.

Not having experience with l'Artisan Vetiver, I can't suggest a match, per se, but of the many
    vetivers I have smelled, I would recommend a number for special praise:

Guerlain Vetiver (EdT in the current formulation is still excellent; a true classic)
    Guerlain Vetiver Extreme (not a tobacco scent, as far as I can tell; a solid, lasting vetiver)
    Givenchy Vetyver (2007 re-release; beautiful, but short lasting)
    MPG Racine (very nice; wish I had a bottle now; my brief sample seemed like the quality of Guerlain
    without the tobacco)
    Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (a macho vetiver, but modern and very much an ozonic accord; a bit
    heavy on the ozone note, but quality for sure)

What an excellent thread. I own a lotof vetiver perfumes and smelt even morenni have to say that Bourbon Vetiver by Miller Harris has got to be one of the best if not the best Vetiver perfume. Rooty and high class.