Code of Conduct

Default newbie tries some niche scents recomendations welcome

Well first let me start off by saying hello to all of you. You have been a great help in putting together a big list of scents to try ..

A LITTLE ABOUT ME.
    i have seen in a couple of posts that people ask for some information about the person so here goes.

I am a male 25 years old, married 3 kids. I have my own commercial aircraft parts business that deals in buying selling repairing & brokering all kinds of aircraft parts from whole aircraft, landing gear, and APU's to hydraulics and avionics. anything else you want to know? just ask

Having never really tried any niche fragrances, I have gone and purchased samples of almost every fragrance anyone has posted a positive review for here at basenotes. I have probrably missed some but i am hoping you will help me fill in the gaps and recommend any fragrance you think i might enjoy. I am hoping that this will help newbies choose fragrances that are safe.. to my nose anyways.

There are some fragrances that are not my cup of tea, and i hope to never smell again, but remember that some of those are highly recommended on this board. I do not mean to insult anyones taste I am just stating my opinion.

Yesterday i received some samples from the perfume court and i will list them here along with my thoughts ,likes and dislikes. i have many more coming so i will post as i receive them.

LETS START WITH THE GOOD ONES.. no particular order

Diptyque Tam Dao: very nice Masculine fragrance. to me this is sandalwood, some other woody scents in there but the sandalwood sticks out .awsome!! drydown is very nice and it lasted a long time on me. i highly recomend it 85 out of 100 on my scale

L'artisan timbuktu: this is a masculine scent that i like from 0-100 i would probrably give it a 75. grassy woody slight fruity/ sweetness. i would wear it.. is it my favorite? no but it is nice.

Bois de Portugal: this is a fragrance that starts off powdery. but the drydown is excelent. i would consider this a scent for te older crowd . or young guys that want to put off a more mature vibe. i wouldnt say its grandpas cologne. but it is more mature. a girl told me she would put it in the same family as classic polo green? i recomend it it might point you in the right direction on your fragrance journey. 85 on my scale

creed millesime imperial: this is a great fresh scent. i cant really put my finger on what is in it. they say its wood and musk.. but all i can say is this is one of my favorites. only downfall is that it dose not last long maybe half the day on me.. but hey i just spray on some more and im set. 95 on my scale

neroli sauvage: nice fragrance... i would wear it ...75 of 100

virgin island water: its ok .. my father wears it. so i guess i have grown to accept it. but it smells like coconuts..a little to much. it is very fresh. i have worn it a couple of times and its ok... 65 of 100

millesime tabarome: very masculine scent.. i dont care for it much when its freshly sprayed on the skin but about 15 minutes later it evolves nicely and smells good. a more mature fragrance. 75 of 100

green irish tweed: very nice fresh masculine fragrance. only wish it would last longer. 79 of 100

Erolfa .. this is a marine scent that i did not like much at first but it has grown on me. 70 of 100

now that im on creed let me say a little something about it. creed is a safe way to start off. they are high quality and all smell accceptable at the worst. i would take the worst creed over some of the niche house fragrances i tried yesterday and today.

NOW ON TO SCENTS IM NOT TO SURE ABOUT. . these are ones that might grow on me but at this moment i would not wear .

villoresi piper nigrum.... i did not like it at first... the dry dwn was better but definately a aquired taste... we shal see

villoresi Uomo: it was very citrus on me. like piper nigrum the drydown was better

villoresi vetiver: this was really smokey to my nose. it reminded me of when the hunting season is over and i am heading home and all myclothes smells like the smoke from the fireplace and i try to cover it up with mens cologne. maybe im crazy but that cam to mind instantly when i smelled it.

NOW THE ONES I WOULD NEVER WEAR. THE ONES I HAD TO WASH OFF:

Villoresi musk: this scent was just to feminine for me it smelled nice but i smelled like a chick. powdery but not in a good way like in a grandma way. same with Villoresi Musk oil to powdery and feminine.

Villoresi Yerbamate: smells of hay and grass but too sweet.. it has a sweet note that i found i could not handle at all. the dry down was better because that wierd sweet note faded but it left a powdery scent that i could handle but would not wear.

L' artisan Mure Et Musc Extreme: of the one i recieved this was by far the most VILE . it definatly smelled of black berries in a feminine way. i did not find this masculine at all and i was nauseated by it. i would not wear this nor recommend it. this was a horrible experience for my nose.

thats all i have for now. i would appreciate any recomendations you can send my way based on my likes and dislike above. I SHOULD BE RECIEVEING MORE FRAGRANCES TOMMORROW I WILL TRY THEM AND REPORT!!!

some of the fragrances above are just plain girly. i dont understand how a Man could wear them, but hey who am i to say that.. like i said this is just my opinion.

mainstream fragrances i like:
    bulgari pour homme
    YSL l homme
    john varvatos
    narciso rodriguez
    bulgari blu notte
    Burberry london is one of my favorites.. but it dosnt last very long

please help me find some ore manly /masculine fragrances RECOMMENDATIONS HIGHLY APPRECIATED..

NO GIRLY GRANDMA SCENTS PLEASE

all kidding aside this is a great forum and i hope to add as much great information as i have taken. job well done to all of you who have posted so many good reviews.!!!!

Default Re: newbie tries some niche scents recomendations welcome

Pheromone for Men by Marilyn Miglin
    Michael by Michael Kors
    Bogart pour Homme
    Ungaro III

Great reviews, and welcome by the way! Great first post.

Hey before I go on, you don't happen to be a Robert Parker follower do you? I just noticed the 100 point scale, never seen it applied to perfume before! A lot of people interested in perfume are also into wine, for quite logical reasons.

You've gone through the Creeds and assessed them well as to your own tastes. Good to see you enjoyed Tam Dao.

Didn't enjoy the Villoresis? Hmmm I didn't really either. I thought PN was like dental clove oil, and Uomo, while nice, just too short lived for the cost.

And I like your designer frags lists too.

So a few suggestions:

Sandalwood - try Trumpers, Crabtree Evelyn or Chanel Egoiste (not Platinum)

if you like sharp prickly frags like Bvlgari PH, YSL PH, (and I find Tabarome Millesime to have a similar prickliness) - try the Acqua di Parma range

Narcisso Rodriguez - i find a similar patchouli note in Rive Gauche and Tom Ford Extreme

while they're not exactly like John Varvatos or Burberry London (which are quite similar), the following niches share a similar warm cuddly sweet feel - maybe try L'artisan Tea for Two and Mechant Loup and Serge Lutens Chergui and Fumerie Turque

Just a few quick suggestions. Keep the reviews coming!

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Basenotes Institution

Hey, for a newbie, you're open minded and you write great reviews. Can we clone you?

Seriously, good luck - you're doing what I did when I found this site: test, test and then test some more. I'm still testing (not one week goes by, when I don't test out a new fragrance).

Two you should try:

Affordable: Terre de Hermes by Hermes
    Luxury: Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford

Good luck & welcome marcogvg!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Oh darn, I had a whole big list of "girly grandma scents" that I was going to give you (that's all I deal with), but I guess that's not your thing.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

thanks for the compliments.!!!

tere de hermes , tom ford, L'artisan Tea for Two, and Mechant Loup and Serge Lutens Chergui ,,,i have ordered all these fragrances and they should be here tommorrow

i will get a samples of Trumpers, Crabtree Evelyn and Chanel Egoiste (regular)

i have the platinum .. i dont like it much..

thanks for the recommendations keep them coming!!!!

It seems to me that you are most interested in higher quality classical masculines than in exotica, based on that my suggestions:

Divine L'Homme Coeur - fresh, but complex. A bit Creed-like IMO, probably due to the ambergris.

Dior Bois D'Argent - deep, rich suede and woods.

I'll add one exotic: Idole de Lubin, with its rum, smoke, and woods.

try chanel egoiste...crazy good shit.

Also if you can get your hands on it...Musc Kublai Kahn by Serge Lutens is awesome, but they only sell the stuff in europe!

I highly recommend FM's Vetiver Extraordinaire. Its one of the most amazing fragrances ever created.

Oh yeah...welcome to Basenotes.

i ordered the musc kublai kahn from perfume court. although i dont think they sell it in large quantities just small decant. i cant wait to smell this one. i have high hopes based on positive reviews.

i will order the divine l'homme ,dior bois d'argent and idole de lubin

any one of a better source for samples than perfume court they have alot but not all of what i have searched for..
    --------------------------------------
    just ordered vetiver extraordinare thanks !!
    Last edited by marcovgv; 8th January 2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

divine l'homme did not sit well with me...to smoky on me, i just didnt get what all the fuss was about...get a sample of this one first.

Welcome to BN -

Have you tried any other Creeds such as SMW or Selection Verte?

If you like sandalwood, there's a great review/comparison of a lot of them somewhere in the BN archives (Sorry, no time to find it at the moment).

EDIT: I found it: http://community.basenotes.net/showp...73&postcount=1

Serge Lutens Chene
    Montale Black Aoud
    Divine L'homme Sage
    F Malle MR
    TDC Rose Poivree
    AdP Colonia
    Czech & Speake no88
    Le Labo Rose31
    Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Parfumerie Generale Bois de Copaiba or Querelle

YSL M7 or M7 Fresh (oops, not "niche" but rather "designer")
    Last edited by zeram1; 8th January 2008 at 05:18 AM. Reason: found the URL
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by marcovgv View Post
    i ordered the musc kublai kahn from perfume court. although i dont think they sell it in large quantities just small decant. i cant wait to smell this one. i have high hopes based on positive reviews.

i will order the divine l'homme ,dior bois d'argent and idole de lubin

any one of a better source for samples than perfume court they have alot but not all of what i have searched for..
    --------------------------------------
    just ordered vetiver extraordinare thanks !!
    You can get free sample vials of both the masculine Divine's at www.divine.fr

Aedes de Venustas and Luckyscent are also good sample sources.

3 of the greatest niche scents ever and the only 3 of the MPGs worth owning:

1) Santal Noble. Just the best sandalwood fragrance on earth, period.The faint but but noticeable fecal smell at the top is pure genuis. Don't worry, it fades quickly.

2) Eau de Isles. Pure, masculine smoke.

3) Route de Vetiver. They're not kidding...they pulled up the root and the earth surrounding it. Dirty, earthy, weird, off-putting, slightly vulgar and just plain artistry. Strange and beautiful, nasty but compelling.

Excellent post! I hope you're here to stay because we need more members like you. You seem to like the more masculine fragrances overall so I would recommend scents with woody notes, but you shouldn't limit yourself to them. If you're into niche, you can sample some of the following scents (you can look up the reviews in the directory):

Serge Lutens - Chene (extremely woody and dry)
    Maitre Parfumer et Gantier - Santal Noble (woody with slightly sweet spices)
    Creed - Royal English Leather (fresh leather with citrus topnotes)
    Creed - Himalaya (fresh citrus that dries down to a woody base)

The following aren't niche, but I thought I'd throw them out there just in case you're ever near a department store fragrance counter:

Gucci - Pour Homme (dry woody scent that softens after the first 30 minutes)
    Gucci - Envy (woody but also sweet and spicy)
    Chanel - Platinum Egoiste (woody citrus, semi formal scent)
    Paco - XS (I find it very similar to Creed's Himalaya at a fraction of the price)
    Dolce & Gabbana - Pour Homme (citrus accented with tobacco)
    Armani - Acqua di Gio (Just so you understand all the references made to it)

Welcome to Basenotes!

Cheers and happy sniffing
    Last edited by teflondog; 8th January 2008 at 06:35 AM.

Nice review post. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on those samples.

Judging on your general postive reaction to most of the Creeds as well as your high regard for Tam Dao (which is one of my favorites), I think you would really like Creed Himalaya. It's got a nice fresh opening, and then has a slightly powdery, musky base that also has a very nice Sandalwood note like that of Tam Dao. It's something I definitely see you liking.

Welcome to Basenotes and keep up the good reviews.

PS: I see that you've just ordered Vetiver Extraordinaire-- it's weird. Very weird when you first smell it-- but it's also amazing. One of the best. Good choice!

i'll recommend from Creed - Original santal.......sophisticated yet sweet sandalwood ...

from Costume Original 'Scent Intense'. - terrific woody smell....masculine and spicy.

Frederic Malle - Vetiver Extraordinarie - love this vetiver......try it.

Mark Birley for Men - sophisticated version of aqua/citrus. even if you're not into that sort of scent you might like this one.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I tested so many niche scent...and I stick to Creed...for me it is not so heavy...I like more fresh scents and Creed got a lot of it.

original santal. was ok .. it was definately masculine .. but i think it was to sweet. some thing about it i did not like i dont think i will wear it. my brother gave me a bottle 3 days ago and i am going to return it for something else. he bought it at neiman..

As far as you like leathery scents like john varvatos, I would recommend these ones:

-Escada Magnetism: A Saffron-Leather combination.
    -L'Homme Sage by DIVINE: Another Saffron-Leather combination, but weird and unusual...
    -Comme Des Garson 2 Man: A fantastic modern cypress scent, which is masculine IMO.

And some classical and old school recommendations(I'm 26, and I dont like to wear them by myself!)

-Antaeus by chanel
    -Yatagan by Caron
    -Trussardi oumo

Hey, welcome! I'm going to also try to get you to experience Terre d'Hermes by Hermes. You haven't said anything about it so I'm wondering if you've tried it and didn't like it in the past... I think you are SPOT ON with the Creeds... they are a great way to start out and actually they helped me realize there was a different level of perfumery available. MI is great and so is Silver Mountain Water...(since you didn't mention it)

Two more department store brands which really showed me the poetry in perfumery are Versace's Dreamer and M7. To me these are cross-over fragrances that could have been niche. They both have (in totally wildly different ways) that odd, but beautiful, head tilting quality that makes me love niche fragrances.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't try to force you to at least experience Comme des Garcons 2 MAN... I'm not saying you'll love it, I'm just saying it's one you ought to try. Though I can see you aren't really into smoky and vegetal (having given your highest marks to the cleaner crisper Creeds) I still think it's worth sniffing. I also think this one is vastly different sprayed so maybe you could order it, if you choose to do so, in a mini spray tester.

Have fun! I'm excited FOR you hahaha...
    Last edited by nthny; 9th January 2008 at 01:41 PM.

Welcome mate!

Another vote for Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain this is a pretty unique scent.

Also another for Divines L'homme Sage fantastic scent and very long lasting. Perfect for colder weather.

Also Malle's Musc Ravageur a sexy, down and dirty scent.

Also from the slightly more affordable range I would suggest:

Rive Gauche
    Terre D'Hermes
    Jaipur Homme
    Mugler Cologne
    Obsession
    M7
    "All deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea, while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore."

Quote Originally Posted by marcovgv View Post
    original santal. was ok .. it was definately masculine .. but i think it was to sweet. some thing about it i did not like i dont think i will wear it. my brother gave me a bottle 3 days ago and i am going to return it for something else. he bought it at neiman..
    try Original Vetiver from Creed......its a clean soapy smell with a hint of vetiver to it.....and the best thing about it, it mixes incredibly well with any other Creed....for ex -- Himalaya and OV.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

I highly recommend Himalaya. Each trying it's better and better, don't be impatient with it. My experience is that it doesn't blossom in colder climate, so if it's winter at your part of the universe, be in a warm room/place when trying.

frags i did not like :
    i will write a full review with my thoughts soon.. but just to give you a heads up on what i have tested so far that i did not like .. see below...

Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Divines L'homme Sage
    MKK this one smelled crazy.. dont think i couldwear it.
    Malle's Musc Ravageur
    tea for two
    Obsession
    ava luxe rasa extreme
    ambre sultan was to sweet.
    nasamotto absinthe

these niche fragrances have been tough.. it has been hard to find even a couple that i sort of like. i really thought i would like alot more of them. i will keep on trying ... i will have a large review later tonight.

thanks for all your thoughts and recomendations!! i will keep ordering.

tom ford , tom ford extreme , m7,m7fresh, tere de hermes, narciso rodriguez musc for him (oil), should be here tommorrow. hopefully i will have some better luck with those.

so far the creed line is still very much a winner for me.

thanks again for the replies .. keep them coming

Comme Des Garcons 3.........sensual, soft yet musky....

I'll second SMW and Himalaya and Royal English Leather....they are all nice smelling, have good longevity, and are not "girly grandma" smells at all...especially the Royal English Leather. It is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

I think the trap perhaps you are falling into is trying to love too many challenging fragrances in too short a time. I know first impressions are very important but it can take months to truly appreciate a fragrance's full beauty, not just a couple of wears... or sprays even.

Please do give them time and maybe not write them off too early. I am shocked to see your list picking off one by one some fantastic (IMO of course) fragrances!! But it is a very subjective subject we are tackling here.
    "All deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea, while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore."

Nasomatto Duro......incredible stuff...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by r2s View Post
    I think the trap perhaps you are falling into is trying to love too many challenging fragrances in too short a time. I know first impressions are very important but it can take months to truly appreciate a fragrance's full beauty, not just a couple of wears... or sprays even.

Please do give them time and maybe not write them off too early. I am shocked to see your list picking off one by one some fantastic (IMO of course) fragrances!! But it is a very subjective subject we are tackling here.
    I must agree with r2s - take your time Marco with large groups of very complex niche scents. Many of these will reveal themselves very slowly and your first impressions of them might be 180 degrees different after you wear them a 2nd time (perhaps in a different climate, different mood, more advanced 'nose', etc...) Good luck!