Code of Conduct

Default How do you store your essential oils?

I think it's obvious that they should be stored in amber or other colored glass and away from heat or light. Any other tricks to preserve their longevity?

I plan on removing a small portion of each oil I order (1 ml) and prediluting it in alcohol at a 20% dilution. This way I won't have to open the bottles as often and can further prevent exposing them to oxygen.

Have any of your oils gone bad? What oils were they and how long did they last? I'm going to be purchasing a TON of oils since I have this holy grail in my mind but am not sure exactly what notes will get me there (and besides, with every oil I don't own or haven't smelled, I have to wonder - would it enhance my holy grail? :P), so I want to do everything I can to preserve them for as long as possible.

Default Re: How do you store your essential oils?

I keep my pressed citrus oils in the refrigerator - they have a short shelf life.

Your trick of decanting out a small portion at a time to avoid opening the "mother" bottle is a good one.

Otherwise, it's good to keep headspace in the bottles to a minimum; I got some Oxblox from lotioncrafter (also available at wineshops) to use in larger bottles.

I hear you can get small glass beads to add to your bottles to bring the level up near the cap and reduce headspace - that might be the best since spraying Oxblox into tiny bottles would be quite a feat! It tends to result in splashing.

Amber bottles are great, but I take further precautions by also storing them in wooden boxes which are kept away from direct sunlight.

I use those wooden boxes with dividers to keep things in line and then label the caps for easy access.

Does anyone know which essential oils can't be put into the fridge? I know jojoba would simply turn into a waxy solid in cold environments.

Does diluting them in alcohol increase, decrease, or have little effect on their shelf life?

Storing them in an old fridge or eski is probably the best as they are insulated ,, ofcourse the fridge or eski is best kept in a dark room .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I've read somewhere that by diluting essential oils in alcohol or carrier oil can reduce its shelf life, but it didn't state by how much.

I don't think alcohol would have an effect on the shelf life of the final product. But I could be wrong. I know that synthetic vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate) is a good preservative in extending shelf life of products.

Thanks Maria for the info!

*Yi